Colorado shooting- 1 officer dead, multiple injured

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

carthage
Looks like a domestic disturbance gone wrong
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/12/31/colorado-police-working-officer-down-situation-outside-denver.html

More victims of the gun violence epidemic

Surtur
Originally posted by carthage
Looks like a domestic disturbance gone wrong
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/12/31/colorado-police-working-officer-down-situation-outside-denver.html

RIP to the cop.

Fixed for accuracy.

Flyattractor
At least Cops DIED this time.

SquallX

Surtur
Around 10,000 non suicide related gun deaths a year in a country of over 300 million. With an estimated 300 million or more firearms.

Eternal Idol

Surtur
Originally posted by Eternal Idol
Automobile-related deaths are mostly accidental, whereas gun-related deaths are mostly deliberate and intentional.

I would agree. I'd rather just look at the non suicide related deaths per year compared to the total population and number of firearms. The number can always be lower, we can always do better, but I would not classify it an epidemic.

Eternal Idol
Originally posted by Surtur
I would agree. I'd rather just look at the non suicide related deaths per year compared to the total population and number of firearms. The number can always be lower, we can always do better, but I would not classify it an epidemic.

The US has more homicides by firearm than just about any other developed country, year after year. Gun violence has reached epidemic proportions, and we clearly seem to have the biggest problem containing it. I think that more than qualifies it as an epidemic facing the country.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence_in_the_United_States

Surtur
We have a shitload of guns, and about 10,000 deaths per year. Out of a country of 300 million with a similar number of firearms nah, not an epidemic.

Other nations are irrelevant, they don't determine if it's an epidemic. We look at our own people, the number of people, the number of firearms, and the number of deaths.

By all means, provide me the number of firearms in those other countries if you really want to compare.

Surtur
And this needs to be pointed out although some won't like it: a large number of firearm homicides are done by a group representing 6% of the population. That's gang activity.

Though I still don't see this as an epidemic looking at the number of firearms plus people. It's a problem, but not an epidemic IMO.

Eternal Idol
Originally posted by Surtur
We have a shitload of guns, and about 10,000 deaths per year. Out of a country of 300 million with a similar number of firearms nah, not an epidemic.

Other nations are irrelevant, they don't determine if it's an epidemic. We look at our own people, the number of people, the number of firearms, and the number of deaths.

By all means, provide me the number of firearms in those other countries if you really want to compare.

Using other countries as a reference helps us to gauge and understand where we stand comparatively. We have a shitload more people being killed and injured by firearms than they do, and we generally have a shitload more guns than they do as well. Perhaps that's not the sole cause, as guns are romanticized here on top of other cultural issues, but it's at least a strong correlation.

That's why so many people are in favor of better gun control, and some want guns banned altogether.

Surtur
Originally posted by Eternal Idol
Using other countries as a reference helps us to gauge and understand where we stand comparatively. We have a shitload more people being killed and injured by firearms than they do, and we generally have a shitload more guns than they do as well. Perhaps that's not the sole cause, as guns are romanticized here on top of other cultural issues, but it's at least a strong correlation.

That's why so many people are in favor of better gun control, and some want guns banned altogether.

I fully understand that yes we are worse than other countries when it comes to this. I just wouldn't call it an epidemic when you have 300 million guns and 300 million people and an average of around 10,000 non suicide related deaths.

It seems like if you do not shoot yourself and aren't involved in crime your chances of getting shot are quite slim.

I am also in favor of any new gun control laws that will work. I found out today that fully automatic assault rifles are illegal(well I knew that), but I found out there is a way to legally purchase guns made before 1986. It is very expensive and a lengthy process. I do not like that, even if it takes a long time to get it.

I don't like that if I have a gun I can legally sell it privately to you without needing an id or background check. But I also don't know what law would stop that.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.