Darth Vader (RotJ) vs. Count Dooku (RotS) - sabers only

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Ellimist
Legends

Naugrim
Vader.

Kurk
Canon: Dooku
Legends: Vader

lazybones
Dooku. Vader was a shadow of his former self as of ANH, and I'm not convinced that he grew enough in terms of skill between ANH-RotJ to beat Dooku. Because logically, how would he have done so? Not a lot of opportunity to practice in that era, or to pick up any knowledge that he didn't have already.

Stigma
Dooku imho.

MythLord
Yeah, Dooku takes sabers only in a bloodbath, imho.

Stigma
thumb up

Sirion_Of_Doom
Originally posted by lazybones
Dooku. Vader was a shadow of his former self as of ANH, and I'm not convinced that he grew enough in terms of skill between ANH-RotJ to beat Dooku. Because logically, how would he have done so? Not a lot of opportunity to practice in that era, or to pick up any knowledge that he didn't have already.
But the exact same source that claims that Vader was a shadow of his former self in ANH also describes how much skill he had gained by ESB?

carthage
Vader in both

lazybones
Originally posted by Sirion_Of_Doom
But the exact same source that claims that Vader was a shadow of his former self in ANH also describes how much skill he had gained by ESB? Yes, I'm aware of that. But frankly, I don't see how Vader could have gained so much skill in such a short space of time. After all, there wasn't exactly much in the way of competition during that period, and I doubt he could have picked up anything in terms of knowledge that he hadn't already learnt in the decades prior. It just doesn't make much sense, really.

But even if we do assume he improved vastly between ANH and ESB, I doubt that would be enough to go from vastly sub-RotS Kenobi to Dooku+. And there's only 1 year between ESB and RotJ. It'd be a brutal fight for sure, but I'd still give it to Dooku. When it comes to lightsaber dueling, he has the better resume.

Sirion_Of_Doom
Yes, I'm aware of that.
Then don't ignore it... It's canonlegends and its content is legitimate.

But frankly, I don't see how Vader could have gained so much skill in such a short space of time.
By practicing with his lightsaber, probably. And three years passed, right? That's a good amount of time.

After all, there wasn't exactly much in the way of competition during that period, and I doubt he could have picked up anything in terms of knowledge that he hadn't already learnt in the decades prior. It just doesn't make much sense, really.
Fighting ''competition'' isn't the only way to improve. Maul, for example, primarily practiced on his own, and the same was probably true for most Banite Sith.

But even if we do assume he improved vastly between ANH and ESB,
It's a fact, and not really a questionable one at that. No assumptions needed.

I doubt that would be enough to go from vastly sub-RotS Kenobi to Dooku+. And there's only 1 year between ESB and RotJ. It'd be a brutal fight for sure, but I'd still give it to Dooku. When it comes to lightsaber dueling, he has the better resume.
See, this is a much more fair assessment. I'm inclined to agree.

ILS
thumb up was about to mention Maul as an example myself actually.

Also Mace and co. before TPM. Hardly any real competition apart from sparring partners.

Rebel95
Could go either way tbh. Would be an epic duel

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.