Saber's only: ROTS Obi-Wan Kenobi VS ROTJ Vader

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TheNuisanceBird
Saber's only.

Fight takes place in the hanger of Theed.

Kenobi as if ROTS during his duel with Grievous/Pre-Suit Vader.

Vader as of ROTJ.

Physicality:

Obviously this is saber's only but physicality is always a factor in a physical fight.

I made a Thread covering Kenobi's physical strength where Ant described it as monsterous, which is true. I don't see Vader breaking through Kenobi's defenses using strength if anything it'd be the other way around.

In terms of speed this is hard to gauge when looking at actual feats. Kenobi's fast and does have a speed advantage but I don't think he'd be able to overwhelm Vader immediately through Ataru/Niman although I think Vader would have difficulty defending against it. Kenobi going on the offense in this fight is unlikely anyways.

Durabilty: While Kenobi is a human tank I think we can all agree this category goes to Vader.

Endurance: Niether if them are getting tired in a fight anytime soon so I don't think this is much of a factor since by the time they do they'll more than likely be dead anyways.

Overall I'd honestly give it to Kenobi for physicality. At the very least it should be equal.

Saber's:

This is where the fun begins.

Kenobi's defenses have been able to deal with the speed of Grievous and Maul as well as the precision of Dooku. While Grievous did overload Kenobi's defenses, he never landed a hit on him, only making it where he had to chose to evade what he couldn't block.

He's also directly delt with the strength of a hindered Anakin during the battle of the heroes whereas Dooku couldn't.

Vader' use of Djem So wouldn't do much. It lacks the strength of Anakin and the speed to overwhelm Kenobi so I don't think trying to wear Obi-Wan down through a strength based offensive would do much.

Vader's incorporation of Ataru's bladework also probably also wouldn't do that much. He probably would use other Forms anyways.

Makashi would likely be ineffective because I'm pretty sure if Dooku's use couldn't penetrate Kenobi's defenses Vader wouldn't be able to either. The arguement could be made where Dooku wasn't able to and never got the chance to because he had Anakin there as well although in the ROTS novelization he gets 1v1 time with Kenobi although relatively brief. Regardless, I don't think Vader's Makashi would do that much.

Vader's Juyo would be something that could catch Kenobi off guard and surprise him however I don't think it has the speed to penetrate his defenses.

Verdict: I honestly give a saber's only fight to Kenobi.

While he'd have a hard time penetrating Vader's defenses I feel like he'd be able to hold out long enough for Vader to either get frustrated and overextend or for him to realize that he can honestly probably get through his defenses.

Kenobi's been able to bend Grievous' arm and in TCW disarm him in a direct contest of strength. I see the fight ending not with Vader being disarmed but Kenobi eventually finding an opening through his speed and (let's be real here) strength advantage.

Kurk
Agree. Kenobi takes this with not that much difficulty tbh

Darth Thor
Legends or Canon?

In Canon Rebels Vader was overpowering Ahsoka, so Dont see him losing to ROTS Kenobi.

If Kenobi goes full defence I can see him holding Vader off. Otherwise Vader probably wins.

The Ellimist
Vader has surpassed RotS Obi Wan as a duelist by ESB, if not ANH.

Kurk
Based on???

Freedon Nadd
"You may be a Sith, but Sith operate on the low ground. I have the
HIGH GROUND!"
-Obi-Wan Kenobi

Greysentinel365
Without in character knowledge Obi-Wan wins.

With it Vader wins.

DarthAnt66
Obi-Wan pretty comfortably.

CuckedCurry
Originally posted by Greysentinel365

With it, Obi-Wan still wins.

The Ellimist
Originally posted by Kurk
Based on???

You'll see in the debate smile

TheNuisanceBird
Originally posted by The Ellimist
Vader has surpassed RotS Obi Wan as a duelist by ESB, if not ANH.

Uh...how exactly?

JMANGO
Kenobi.

carthage
Vader

Freedon Nadd
The emperor will have his droids to build a new armor for Vader. Armorcest.

Haschwalth
Vader

YousufKhan1212
Originally posted by Greysentinel365

With it Vader wins.

deathslash
Originally posted by TheNuisanceBird
Uh...how exactly? aren't there some statements about how Vader grew in power after RotS floating around?

Either way, I don't see Vader beating Kenobi in sabers.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by deathslash

Either way, I don't see Vader beating Kenobi in sabers.

I dont get whats so difficult to believe.

In Legends hes a little above Peak Starkiller and in Canon hes solidly above Rebels Ahsoka. And thats all pre-ANH.

TheNuisanceBird
Originally posted by Darth Thor
I dont get whats so difficult to believe.

In Legends hes a little above Peak Starkiller and in Canon hes solidly above Rebels Ahsoka. And thats all pre-ANH.

True. But I don't see either of them near ROTS Kenobi at least not in saber's.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by TheNuisanceBird
True. But I don't see either of them near ROTS Kenobi at least not in saber's.

Given Ahsoka stalemated Maul, id say shed have to at least be near ROTS Kenobi level.

Then we have to consider Vader was solidly above Ahsoka.

Harder to powerscale Legends without a common foe.

Geistalt
Obi-Wan:
TheNuisanceBird
Kurk
DarthAnt66
CuckedCurry (probably a sock)
JMANGO (also probably a sock)
deathslash
Geistalt

Vader:
The Ellimist
carthage
Haschwalth
Darth Thor

MythLord
I also believe Vader would win.

TheNuisanceBird
Originally posted by Darth Thor
Given Ahsoka stalemated Maul, id say shed have to at least be near ROTS Kenobi level.

Then we have to consider Vader was solidly above Ahsoka.

Harder to powerscale Legends without a common foe.

While I don't question Rebels Ahsoka's skill compared to Ezra and Kanan, her fight with Maul was mostly off screen. It's a matter of consistency with Ahsoka.

Ahsoka doesn't have the skill set Kenobi does to deal with Vader.

True. Galen in general is hard to scale with his numberous accolades and carrying feats.

TheNuisanceBird
Originally posted by Geistalt
Obi-Wan:
TheNuisanceBird
Kurk
DarthAnt66
CuckedCurry (probably a sock)
JMANGO (also probably a sock)
deathslash
Geistalt

Vader:
The Ellimist
carthage
Haschwalth
Darth Thor

Socks?

Either way as long as Ant's on my side I'm fine.

MythLord
Yes, like the ones you stuff Christmas presents in.

FreshestSlice
Vader.

Freedon Nadd
Obi-Wan Kenobi. Old Ben could stand his own against Vader. his younger version is definitely more powerful physically and the Force augumentation won't be necessary(that much)

Rockydonovang
vader can be assumed to be above Ahsoka holistically, but his performance on a nexus certainly doesn't imply a significant gap.

FreshestSlice
Or, you know, nexus don't actually give you huge jumps in power and saber ability.

Freedon Nadd
They do if one does not replicate them without that Force aid.

Haschwalth
ROTJ Vader was in his prime, unless we are using only canon content.

CuckedCurry
Originally posted by Geistalt
Geistalt (probably a cuck)

Interesting.

Geistalt
https://img.fireden.net/tg/image/1491/06/1491064717592.jpg

Obi-Wan:
TheNuisanceBird
Kurk
DarthAnt66
CuckedCurry
JMANGO
deathslash
Geistalt
Freedon Nadd

Vader:
The Ellimist
carthage
Haschwalth
Darth Thor
MythLord
FreshestSlice

TheNuisanceBird
Originally posted by Freedon Nadd
They do if one does not replicate them without that Force aid.

Both ROTS Kenobi and ROTJ Vader can fight perfectly fine without physical augmentation so it's not really an issue here.

Freedon Nadd
Vader uses the Force to move his robotic body at 'Flash' speeds. On top of that, I was referring to Force nexuses.

relentless1
Obi Wan would beat Vader in a straight up saber duel, add in Force TK though and its Vaders fight

Rebel95
Vader

TheNuisanceBird
Originally posted by Freedon Nadd
Vader uses the Force to move his robotic body at 'Flash' speeds. On top of that, I was referring to Force nexuses.

Doesn't every Force user use physical augmentation to move that fast?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.