How would you propose making America's schools safe against school shootings?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Lost
It is obviously an issue and I am curious to see what people who are a part of this community would propose when it comes to increasing safety and decreasing loss of life concerning school shootings/massacres.

Would you propose a ban on assault weapons? Tighter gun control? Stricter background checks? Arming teachers? Metal detectors? A combination of two or more of these? Something else?

Discuss.

(NOTE: I know there is an American school shooting thread in the GDF already but I was hoping to hear what people would say regarding this specifically.)

Blindside12
1-2 entrance and exits, hardened armed security, metal detectors, ID cards in and out of the entrances and exits. These are simple things that can be done, that would go a long way.

Bashar Teg
armed guards and detection equipment at the entrance(s)

Silent Master
So this is only about stopping the killers from using guns?

Blindside12
All a gun free zone means, is all the good guys have no guns.

MythLord
I think providing some fire extinguishers for each hallway or classroom... It isn't expensive and it's a great and non-lethal weapon. You just quickly gas the fvcker then knock him out.

Blindside12
Originally posted by MythLord
I think providing some fire extinguishers for each hallway or classroom... It isn't expensive and it's a great and non-lethal weapon. You just quickly gas the fvcker then knock him out.

Those are already there. Kids underfire, and people in general dont think "grab the fire extinguisher." Neither would you, you would think, duck, cover and hide.

Robtard
Since guns are not going away, I'd say have armed security on campus, but even then that can not matter as Parkland had an armed guard on campus the day of the shooting. So maybe better trained armed guards and/or more of them. Non PTSD vets and/or ex-law enforcement would be ideal.

Blindside12
Originally posted by Robtard
Since guns are not going away, I'd say have armed security on campus, but even then that can not matter as Parkland had an armed guard on campus the day of the shooting. So maybe better trained armed guards and/or more of them. Non PTSD vets and/or ex-law enforcement would be ideal.

Wow look at this discrimination right here, guess how many Cops, FBI and law enforcement agents have PTSD?

MOST OF THEM.

Robtard
And cops, FBI and other law enforcement have to pass psychological screenings and tests...

You weirdo.

Bashar Teg
Originally posted by Silent Master
So this is only about stopping the killers from using guns? i think that keeping an air tight gaurd of the perimeter is way more sensible preparation than preparing for gunfights in the hallways and classrooms. *shrug*

Silent Master
Who said anything about preparing for gunfights in the hallway or classrooms?

Bashar Teg
trump

Silent Master
Ah, well he's a moron.

Bashar Teg
and no he didn't say the words "gunfights in the hallways," but he proposed conceal and carry for faculty, with no mention that i can recall of keeping these shooters from entering the building. simple conclusion.

jaden101
Genetically engineer all children to have bulletproof skin.

Bashar Teg
my idea would take less time and resources.

jaden101
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
my idea would take less time and resources.

What if the guard kills everyone?
What if the shooter kills the guard first?
What if the guard is off sick and they can't get a replacement?
What if the equipment breaks and the school can't afford to replace it?

If you can't 100% guarantee the safety of every single person then there's no point in even trying any of it.

Blindside12
And cops, FBI and other law enforcement have to pass psychological screenings and tests...

You weirdo.

PTSD doesn't disqualify you from law enforcement you idiot, keep discriminating tho.

Bashar Teg
Originally posted by jaden101
What if the guard kills everyone?
What if the shooter kills the guard first?
What if the guard is off sick and they can't get a replacement?
What if the equipment breaks and the school can't afford to replace it?

If you can't 100% guarantee the safety of every single person then there's no point in even trying any of it. well yeah but what if we end up genetically engineering a bullet proof school shooter. then what do we do?

Robtard
Originally posted by Blindside12
PTSD doesn't disqualify you from law enforcement you idiot, keep discriminating tho.

Keep bashing that strawman I guess

Nibedicus

jaden101
well yeah but what if we end up genetically engineering a bullet proof school shooter. then what do we do?

Hmmm. Good point, well made.

Nuke the whole site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

jaden101
That smoke machine idea has its merits. I've seen a premises that had it installed get broken into and the thieves were so disoriented that they were still stuck in the building when the police arrived.

Different scenario with a shooter though. Yes it would make it more difficult for them to target people but it would also mean there would be more of a chance to run into the shooter while evacuating. Less chances of law enforcement effectively targeting the shooter. An increased risk of them shooting the wrong person/people.

Robtard
Hmmm. Good point, well made.

Nuke the whole site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

I saw that film; didn't end well for the marines.

That smoke machine idea has its merits. I've seen a premises that had it installed get broken into and the thieves were so disoriented that they were still stuck in the building when the police arrived.

Different scenario with a shooter though. Yes it would make it more difficult for them to target people but it would also mean there would be more of a chance to run into the shooter while evacuating. Less chances of law enforcement effectively targeting the shooter. An increased risk of them shooting the wrong person/people.

Reward to risk seems a bit high when dealing with a shooter and people fleeing.

Blindside12
Keep bashing that strawman I guess

Bullshit its a strawman

Robtard
Bullshit its a strawman

Where did I say "people with PTSD are disqualified"? I didn't, that was just your brain again doing stuff. I said ideally they'd not have it. Bye now.

Nibedicus

Nibedicus
Also, from the journal of the guy that got busted for planning a school shooting, it's pretty much established that many school shooters are mentally disturbed absolute cowards who want to be in control so they go on a power trip by preying on the helpless. They also tend to be untrained (tho not all). Loss of visibility plays on the psyche as they pretty much lose a good chunk of the control they crave and play on their fears and paranoia and sooner or later, this will further make them far less effective at taking life. Scared panicky shooters tend to miss more than hit and are more likely to make mistakes (trip/fall/allow themselves to get ambushed/etc).

Again, these are all my just my theories. There are no bad ideas during a brainstorm sesh IMO. stick out tongue

Kurk

Beniboybling
special ops personnel on campus, kevlar weave school uniforms, bullet proof backpacks, a minefield in the school yard and lots of barbed wire fences, i want public schools to be more fortified than most military bases.

Surtur
A sign that says "Please don't bring a gun here".

Boom, you're welcome.

Nibedicus
No moats with electric eels?

Beniboybling
whatever it takes. just don't regulate my guns

Kurk
Originally posted by Beniboybling
whatever it takes. just don't regulate my guns You don't think your approach is too black and white?

Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance

Silent Master
Originally posted by Kurk
You don't think your approach is too black and white?

Well, considering he doesn't know that guns are already regulated. are you surprised?

Bashar Teg
whatever it takes. just don't regulate my guns

laughed, then felt sad because they really are that selfish and petty.

Kurk
Well, considering he doesn't know that guns are already regulated. are you surprised? The UKers need to get a clue before they open their mouths here

Robtard
If the UK people don't know thing one, then why do they keep eSodomizing the NRA cucks when it comes to gun debates? Odd, no.

Blindside12
Where did I say "people with PTSD are disqualified"? I didn't, that was just your brain again doing stuff. I said ideally they'd not have it. Bye now.

Any chance you can you take a swipe at veterans.

Beniboybling
robtard, did you just insult our troops.

Kurk
If the UK people don't know thing one, then why do they keep eSodomizing the NRA cucks when it comes to gun debates? Odd, no. Do you believe I'm an NRA cuck? I can't speak for the idiots who spew whatever their favorite far-right idol says, but I haven't seen any "ownage" by anyone.

Blindside12
If you own guns your an NRA cuck according to the left. Even if you don't actually have a membership.

MythLord
Obviously, the real solution is to abolish schools altogether! You can't have a school shooting if you don't have a school. smile

Blindside12
Every other mass gathering involves security

Stadiums
Concert Hall's
Venues
Sports centers

What's so hard about defending schools?

Robtard
Any chance you can you take a swipe at veterans.

Nah, that's Trump's forte

Blindside12
"preference non PTSD people"

Did you not say that?

Robtard
I'm not playing your silly 'taking things out of context' games today. So do have fun choking that strawman to death as I said earlier

ps Trump did factually take a swipe at veterans though; this happened; Trumpers didn't care

Blindside12

Lol at your lies

Robtard
Yes, wanting the most stable people possible guarding the nation's children is ideal; not a requirement. Words and meaning and stuff.

Do you actually disagree? I'm assuming you don't and you're just doing your trolling-attention-thing again; least I hope so.

Blindside12
Says the guy who trolls for attention.

How about Trump say what you just said but replace non PTSD people with non Muslims?

Flyattractor
robtard, did you just insult our troops.

Only the EU Troops. Being one of those is already an Insult.

Blindside12
The left scoffs at Trump suggesting bonuses for teachers willing to be armed peace officers on campus.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5a8f0048e4b005bb0fef56dd

Leftists really hate anything that isn't their idea.

Robtard
Says the guy who trolls for attention.

How about Trump say what you just said but replace non PTSD people with non Muslims?

Your insane like-comparison aside, Trump routinely attacks Muslims so it's nothing new.

But obviously a Muslim person or otherwise would have to pass the same mental tests.

Blindside12
Would a test account for their radical believes if they had them?

Just curious, why non PTSD people? Any cop who's been in a shootout will have PTSD.

Robtard
Would a test account for their radical believes if they had them?

Just curious, why non PTSD people? Any cop who's been in a shootout will have PTSD.

Ideally, it would, regardless of their religion.

That's a crazy blanketed statement. But any cop who's been in a shootout needs to pass a psychological evaluation before going back on duty. Which is fine. What can't you follow here.

Flyattractor
Stated the PERFECT Plan in the other thread but will do so again here...

Originally posted by Flyattractor
I figured out how to Make every one happy in this Scenario of "School Shootings" and it uses a Favored tactic of the Left. Its SEGREGATION!

All we have to do is SEGREGATE the Schools. We have classes that have Armed Security protecting those students whose parents ok it. And in the other classes we have them put up those NO Guns Signs to protect the FEE FEE's of the Fascist Snowflakes.

That way EVERY BODY is happy!

Man this is a Great Idea!!!!!

cdtm
I'm just spitballing here, but what about simply putting exits in all classrooms?

That way people won't be boxed in.

Flyattractor
You think Classrooms don't already have doors?

Blindside12
Ideally, it would, regardless of their religion.

That's a crazy blanketed statement. But any cop who's been in a shootout needs to pass a psychological evaluation before going back on duty. Which is fine. What can't you follow here.

People in car accidents have PTSD. Millions of Americans have PTSD. Your statement is just deplorable.

Bashar Teg
to me 'deplorable' would be putting someone with ptsd into a public gunfight. but that's just my thinking.

Flyattractor
But according to Leftist Fee Fee Wimps like you. You can get PTSD after being told the movie you wanted to see is sold out.

We need to stop raising a Country of WIMPY LITTLE FEE FEE FASCISTS!

Robtard

Robtard

cdtm
You think Classrooms don't already have doors?

It's been awhile, but I don't remember emergency exit doors in most classrooms.

The kids in my middle school escaped through the windows on "walkout day".

Flyattractor
Originally posted by cdtm
It's been awhile, but I don't remember emergency exit doors in most classrooms.

The kids in my middle school escaped through the windows on "walkout day".

See. That statement just proves that kids used to be smarter back in the day then the stupid little Fee Fee Fascists that kids are today.

Bashar Teg
must be some upper-class thing. emergency exit doors in each classroom, escape pods.

Blindside12
to me 'deplorable' would be putting someone with ptsd into a public gunfight. but that's just my thinking.

Says the guy who doesn't know anything about gunslaughing out loud

Flyattractor
We should just ARM the ROTC Kids in the school.

cdtm
must be some upper-class thing. emergency exit doors in each classroom, escape pods.

The age old problem around these parts.

We want to save lives. We just don't want to spend a lot of money on it.

We may need to afford more bailouts and wmd's, I guess.

Flyattractor
The age old problem around these parts.

We want to save lives. We just don't want to spend a lot of money on it.

We should just disband the School Unions and use that money for School Defense Programs.

Unless our Leftist Fee Fee Fascists thinks the UNIONS are more important then the SAFEtY OF THE CHILDrENS!?

laughing

TethAdamTheRock
The only real way is to train and allow students to carry firearms.

Flyattractor
Originally posted by TethAdamTheRock

ROTC all the way...

Robtard

The Parkland shooter apparently was a former member of the ROTC

Nephthys
The teacher idea is insane. Because when you become a teacher you go in prepared to murder someone.

You guys realise how ridiculous that is, right? To expect your educators to get into shootouts and kill people instead of just getting rid of easy access to assualt weapons like any sane country would? The fact that this is even on the table let alone being suggested by the US president is mindblowing to me.

no expression

Flyattractor
Originally posted by Nephthys
The teacher idea is insane. Because when you become a teacher you go in prepared to murder someone.

You guys realise how ridiculous that is, right? To expect your educators to get into shootouts and kill people instead of just getting rid of easy access to assualt weapons like any sane country would? The fact that this is even on the table let alone being suggested by the US president is mindblowing to me.

no expression

I think you just prefer to see Children get murdered.

Funny how you now have the Same Opinion of Teachers as you do Police.

But then You are a Fee Fee Fascist.

jaden101

no expression

Of all the ideas put forward it really is the worst on numerous levels.

Nibedicus

Kurk

no expression Can anyone say culture shock?

Robtard

no expression
Personally, not surprised at all that thought escaped Trump's fat retarded orange lips.

Flyattractor
But Ed 209 didn't work ...and it had GUNS!!!

Lets go with a Robot that WORKS and didn't have any EVIL GUNS on it.....

https://www.yourprops.com/movieprops/default/yp543ff501184f46.30466134/Death-Machine-Death-Machine-Frontline-Morale-Destroyer-Miniature-Puppet-2.jpg

Nibedicus

Flyattractor
Yes. But Leftist don't like guns. They have no PROBS when people get killed by knives and stuff.

So yes. The Death Machine is a much better Robot for School Protection.

Adam_PoE
Um, Parkland High School has armed security, and that did not prevent a mass shooting.

Robtard
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
Um, Parkland High School has armed security, and that did not prevent a mass shooting.

I think the sentiment is that the armed guard was a "cuck" or something and this is why.

LordofBrooklyn
Retired police and military should be teachers. Their status should be unknown like the Air Marshalls.

Darkstorm Zero
Raising the legal ownership requirement age of firearms to 21 like Alcohol and driving licenses would probably help. The sheer fact that CHILDREN and TEENAGERS can purchase firearms over the damn counter is probably the most concerning thing from an outsiders perspective.

See, kids, and especially teenagers (Even late teenage years) is when the human mind is the most unstable as it is still developing. Emotional instability and access to firearms is a recipe for disaster. If you restrict access to those arms to actual adults, I get the feeling mass school shootings in particular will drop.

It won't eliminate the problem, as teens can still access their parents weapon stashes (Because even some adults are criminally moronic) but this should stop the kids spending money hand over counter to get guns.

Robtard
Originally posted by Darkstorm Zero
Raising the legal ownership requirement age of firearms to 21 like Alcohol and driving licenses would probably help. The sheer fact that CHILDREN and TEENAGERS can purchase firearms over the damn counter is probably the most concerning thing from an outsiders perspective.

See, kids, and especially teenagers (Even late teenage years) is when the human mind is the most unstable as it is still developing. Emotional instability and access to firearms is a recipe for disaster. If you restrict access to those arms to actual adults, I get the feeling mass school shootings in particular will drop.

It won't eliminate the problem, as teens can still access their parents weapon stashes (Because even some adults are criminally moronic) but this should stop the kids spending money hand over counter to get guns.

But!? But!? BuT!? THE MILITARY!!!1!!

What those retards do not understand is that military exceptions can be made in allowing teens who join to use arms. We already have exceptions in the military with the age of joining being 17 with parental consent.

Though you have to be 21 to buy a handgun; but not an assault sports rifle in current laws.

Silent Master
I have no issue with raising the age to 21

cdtm
Me neither.

But was thinking, the Israeli model seems to work.

Mandatory training, very though background checks, and some form of military service for a few years.

Lead to one rampage being cut short by a guy on a roof, putting a bullet in his head.

If the issue is civilians being untrained, then train them. Make it a part of the culture.

Beniboybling
It won't eliminate the problem, as teens can still access their parents weapon stashes (Because even some adults are criminally moronic) but this should stop the kids spending money hand over counter to get guns. are you trying to tell me that this won't solve 100% of all gun crime.

Flyattractor
are you trying to tell me that this won't solve 100% of all gun crime.

Maybe if they put up more of these signs.....Cause that is what lefties think will help.

http://allfreeprintable.com/cont/sgn/img/printable-no-guns-allowed-sign.jpg

Silent Master
Me neither.

But was thinking, the Israeli model seems to work.

Mandatory training, very though background checks, and some form of military service for a few years.

Lead to one rampage being cut short by a guy on a roof, putting a bullet in his head.

If the issue is civilians being untrained, then train them. Make it a part of the culture.

The left will never agree to only allowing those with military service to have weapons. As the military tends to lean more to the right.

Flyattractor
That is why they want to replace the Police and Military with NEW FORCES..

dadudemon
Lots of ideas and almost all of them prohibitively expensive.

I still think we need universal healthcare and for children to get to visit a mental health professional as a basic human right. Perhaps a few shootings could be prevented if this mentally unstable young men had access to mental healthcare for free? Not just access, but a standard appointment as part of the curriculum.

There will be those that complain that the "damn psychologists are poisoning my children with their liberal lies!" and their rights would be preserved under the First Amendment. But very few people would take this position.

Much more than angry murderous shooters would be helped with this type of idea. There could be the narcissistic psychopathic teenager type that can be helped. The depressed and bullied could be helped. You know, etc. So many different kids and young adults could get help with a proper healthcare system in the US.

A common theme I see/read about this issue is to tackle one of the symptoms of the problem and never the actual problem itself. It's putting band-aids on lacerations: quite useless. You may get lucky and just so happen to patch up an artery but most of the time, you won't get lucky with your band-aids. Actually resolve the problem instead of the symptoms.

TethAdamTheRock
The only real way is to train and allow students to carry firearms. http://m.worldstarhiphop.com/android/video.php?v=wshh5VsdoK530M0slafv

Kurk
Originally posted by dadudemon
Lots of ideas and almost all of them prohibitively expensive.

I still think we need universal healthcare and for children to get to visit a mental health professional as a basic human right. Perhaps a few shootings could be prevented if this mentally unstable young men had access to mental healthcare for free? Not just access, but a standard appointment as part of the curriculum.

There will be those that complain that the "damn psychologists are poisoning my children with their liberal lies!" and their rights would be preserved under the First Amendment. But very few people would take this position.

Much more than angry murderous shooters would be helped with this type of idea. There could be the narcissistic psychopathic teenager type that can be helped. The depressed and bullied could be helped. You know, etc. So many different kids and young adults could get help with a proper healthcare system in the US.

A common theme I see/read about this issue is to tackle one of the symptoms of the problem and never the actual problem itself. It's putting band-aids on lacerations: quite useless. You may get lucky and just so happen to patch up an artery but most of the time, you won't get lucky with your band-aids. Actually resolve the problem instead of the symptoms. I agree that the mentality of children is fcked up (we could create a very long list of why it is now moreso than 60 years ago), but universal health-care is quite a reach as a solution. Many schools already have involved psychologists who monitor the children for obvious "issues". Some districts just do the job better than others though, and that needs to be addressed.

Even if children were identified as problematic early on, it doesn't mean jack if the police agencies don't act on it like as we saw with Cruz.

Darkstorm Zero
are you trying to tell me that this won't solve 100% of all gun crime.

No, it'll take a lot more than that to stop all gun crime. Even in a country that has decent gun control laws like Australia cannot completely eliminate gun crime.

Putinbot1
I would stop guns being as readily available in the US. /end thread.

Flyattractor
No, it'll take a lot more than that to stop all gun crime. Even in a country that has decent gun control laws like Australia cannot completely eliminate gun crime.

You can't "Fight Crime". So like Drugs. We should just surrender to Gun Crime as well.

That is the Preferred Leftist Mentality.

Darkstorm Zero
You can't "Fight Crime". So like Drugs. We should just surrender to Gun Crime as well.

That is the Preferred Leftist Mentality.

Do you enjoy putting the exact opposite words into peoples mouths than what they actually say? Because it sounds like you derive an almost orgasmic level of pleasure from it.

Did you get a little chode in your knickers Fly? laughing

Flyattractor
Are you saying that what I SAID ISN'T Something Your Side of the Aisle tends to say rather frequently?

And I find NOTHING about you to COME anywhere near "orgasmic".

I bet your carpets have plenty of stains thou.

Darkstorm Zero
Are you saying that what I SAID ISN'T Something Your Side of the Aisle tends to say rather frequently?

And I find NOTHING about you to COME anywhere near "orgasmic".

I bet your carpets have plenty of stains thou.

Are you saying I'm a leftist and not an individual? The problem with lumping everyone who isn't on your side into a group and label them is that you are always going to be wrong. Always. Assumption is the root of all incorrect decision making.

Aww, come on mate, you KNOW you wanna ride :P

Actually no. I clean my home.

Esau Cairn
The left scoffs at Trump suggesting bonuses for teachers willing to be armed peace officers on campus.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5a8f0048e4b005bb0fef56dd

Leftists really hate anything that isn't their idea.

Seriously has Trump really thought this through or am I just being too much of a Leftist?

Y'know the last place on this planet that I'd expect to hear a gunshot would be in a school environment.

I know weird huh.

So how exactly do you expect a vast number of students & staff to differentiate between the "good teacher's" gunfire & the "mentally unbalanced's" shots?
Amidst the chaos which direction are they then meant to run or from?

More importantly would a black teacher get a little more on top of the bonus for carrying a concealed weapon?

Because y'know I'd hate to be that one black guy waving a firearm in a school when the cops come running in...

Darkstorm Zero
KkH3mJnloO0

dadudemon
KkH3mJnloO0

"No other country on the planet has this."

Definitely false. I guess he doesn't know much about "shithole" countries, eh?

"18 school shootings"

False.

Other than that, good rant. Like his rants. big grin

Mindship
I get the impression the main resistance to arming teachers is, teachers will be forced to carry and be duty-bound to confront the attacker. I don't think this is what is intended.

1. No teacher will/should be forced to carry (absolutely not). I would think this would be an option, and those teachers who volunteer will be the ones most motivated to make a difference. It is their choice.

2. I don't think it's meant for those teachers to then go after the shooter. That's a first responder's job. Armed teachers would be defensive: if the attacker tries to blast his way into a locked classroom, that's when the teacher can be ready to open fire, instead of s/he and students being sitting ducks.

Had, say, my school offered this option (ie, training + firearm), I would've taken up on it. The office in my main school is in the basement at the end of a corridor. There's only one other classroom down there, and all the windows are barred because it's in the basement. An attacker would just have to come down one staircase (right near the main entrance), turn left, and no one can leave those rooms or corridor. Sitting ducks.

Does it stink this state of affairs we find ourselves in, to consider arming teachers: hell yeah. But I would much rather be waiting for the attacker with a weapon in my hand than not.

Oh, and ban assault rifles. Banning isn't perfect, but it does help. It worked in the 1920s with tommy guns, and it works with modern weapons more powerful than assault rifles (eg, how come no one has attacked with RPGs?). But no one tactic will cover all instances. The other thing I would do is never show the attacker's face or name in the news (if they choose, show victims' families in private). Remove the "I'll be famous going out in a blaze of glory" incentive ... yeah, even if that means lower ratings for news show and unhappy sponsors.

Firefly218
^ I agree with everything you just said

Silent Master
If you ban assault rifles, they'll just use a different weapon.

Firefly218
If you ban assault rifles, they'll just use a different weapon. Yeah, a knife

Mindship
If you ban assault rifles, they'll just use a different weapon. How did Bob Marley put it? The people who are trying to make this world worse are not taking a day off? Indeed, where there's a will there's a way. But a least I wouldn't have to face anything more than a handgun (I hope).

Silent Master
Handguns would actually be more dangerous in a school shooting situation. You can carry more ammo, reloading is faster and so is changing targets. They are also more maneuverable.

Silent Master
Originally posted by Firefly218
Yeah, a knife

No, a handgun or maybe even an assault shotgun.

Mindship
Handguns would actually be more dangerous in a school shooting situation. You can carry more ammo, reloading is faster and so is changing targets. They are also more maneuverable. But at least we'd be equally armed, no?

So are you saying, repeal the 2nd ammendment? Ideally, personally, I would love that. But I don't know if banning all weapons would be realistic or advantageous. I really just don't know.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Mindship
I get the impression the main resistance to arming teachers is, teachers will be forced to carry and be duty-bound to confront the attacker. I don't think this is what is intended.

1. No teacher will/should be forced to carry (absolutely not). I would think this would be an option, and those teachers who volunteer will be the ones most motivated to make a difference. It is their choice.

2. I don't think it's meant for those teachers to then go after the shooter. That's a first responder's job. Armed teachers would be defensive: if the attacker tries to blast his way into a locked classroom, that's when the teacher can be ready to open fire, instead of s/he and students being sitting ducks.

Had, say, my school offered this option (ie, training + firearm), I would've taken up on it. The office in my main school is in the basement at the end of a corridor. There's only one other classroom down there, and all the windows are barred because it's in the basement. An attacker would just have to come down one staircase (right near the main entrance), turn left, and no one can leave those rooms or corridor. Sitting ducks.

Does it stink this state of affairs we find ourselves in, to consider arming teachers: hell yeah. But I would much rather be waiting for the attacker with a weapon in my hand than not.

Oh, and ban assault rifles. Banning isn't perfect, but it does help. It worked in the 1920s with tommy guns, and it works with modern weapons more powerful than assault rifles (eg, how come no one has attacked with RPGs?). But no one tactic will cover all instances. The other thing I would do is never show the attacker's face or name in the news (if they choose, show victims' families in private). Remove the "I'll be famous going out in a blaze of glory" incentive ... yeah, even if that means lower ratings for news show and unhappy sponsors.

About the Tommy Gun ban, did it work? I cannot find any evidence that the 1934 law actually worked. I find evidence that the gangsters just got smarter about things to stay out of the system and it created a more complex black market that expanded until our illegal gun running system that organized crime still participates in, to this day.

But, yes, they should pass national legislation that pasting a mass shooters or any "mass murderer's" face is illegal. But where the line is drawn, I don't know. School shooters? Yes. Terrorists? I dunno...maybe?

And I think arming teachers is dumb as ****. Stupid as hell. Bullshitty as bullshit. Stupid gun-lovers imagining teachers become John Preston from Equilibrium, using gun kata to save all the students. If police freeze, teachers will freeze much more readily. And they will shoot students in panic...some will, at least. Unless they go through regular training and have best practices that test them (such as when it is safe to fire their gun), I don't think they should have guns. And if they are not allowed to keep a gun in their classroom until they are "certified" and have to regularly certify each year. And the gun is locked down with biometrics so students cannot use it if they can get access to it. Sounds like a great way to make the gun security folks a lot of money...

I still think we need to tackle the mental health issue. That's the root cause of this bullshit.

Restricting guns? Nope. Won't work. Giving out more guns? Nope. Won't work. Making it illegal for the press to create infamy for the shooters? Now that's something that might work. Providing free access to healthcare which includes mental healthcare? That might work...it could get at least some of them AND it would help many who commit suicide which is a far far larger number of dead in a year than any of these mass shootings combined since forever (I think).

Silent Master
But at least we'd be equally armed, no?

So are you saying, repeal the 2nd ammendment? Ideally, personally, I would love that. But I don't know if banning all weapons would be realistic or advantageous. I really just don't know.

I'm saying that people should stop reacting with their emotions and start using their brains.

Mindship
Originally posted by dadudemon
About the Tommy Gun ban, did it work? I cannot find any evidence that the 1934 law actually worked. I find evidence that the gangsters just got smarter about things to stay out of the system and it created a more complex black market that expanded until our illegal gun running system that organized crime still participates in, to this day. I've never done any actual research on it; I heard it mentioned once a while back, read about it online, then heard it mentioned recently on the news. So admittedly, I'm going by hearsay than actual research. But at least no one's attacked with RPGs or other weapons > assault rifles.

And for what it's worth, the very idea of bringing weapons into schools sickens me. But again, I'd rather be huddling, armed, than hoping an attacker chooses another staircase.

I'm saying that people should stop reacting with their emotions and start using their brains. I fear you have taken residence on the wrong planet.

Emperordmb
WE GOTTA DO SOMETHING

dadudemon
I've never done any actual research on it; I heard it mentioned once a while back, read about it online, then heard it mentioned recently on the news. So admittedly, I'm going by hearsay than actual research. But at least no one's attacked with RPGs or other weapons > assault rifles.

Right, from the looking I did, I saw several news articles that can be summed up as "they banned Tommy Guns and it worked!" but no data, research, nothing. And seeing the homicides rates by year, it hit a small peak at the end of the 50s before exploding in the 70s.

Regardless...yeah...people shouldn't have things like Tommy Guns.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.