Who are the "leaders" of society?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cdtm
And how would you define a "leader"?

A typical answer usually includes scientists, artists and such. Great achievers, certainly.

I'm not so sure I'd consider leaders, though. A scientist or artist generally anwers to higher authority.. Whether it's a board of trustees, a company that employs them (For, say, pharmaceutical development), a government agency.

I suppose they lead in the sense that they're important producers, but that's not my definition of "a leader".. By my definition, leaders embody authority. They command, others follow. And they're where the buck stops at.. The final word, the most important decisions, the most important person in any given room.

Blindside12
Here is a great leader.

https://goo.gl/7puJ6U

BackFire
Glorious leaders are the only true leaders.

Kurk
I'm my own leader; myself and my fictional idols.

jaden101
Originally posted by cdtm
And how would you define a "leader"?

A typical answer usually includes scientists, artists and such. Great achievers, certainly.

I'm not so sure I'd consider leaders, though. A scientist or artist generally anwers to higher authority.. Whether it's a board of trustees, a company that employs them (For, say, pharmaceutical development), a government agency.

I suppose they lead in the sense that they're important producers, but that's not my definition of "a leader".. By my definition, leaders embody authority. They command, others follow. And they're where the buck stops at.. The final word, the most important decisions, the most important person in any given room.

Scientists and artists lead people into new ways of thinking. They don't lead by telling others what to do. They lead by showing others what is possible.

cdtm
Originally posted by jaden101
Scientists and artists lead people into new ways of thinking. They don't lead by telling others what to do. They lead by showing others what is possible.

I agree, to a point.

At the end of the day, even most artists and scientists are slaves to things like internal politics and personal ambition.

A person that cues cancer would change the world.... for the very rich. The cure won't be given away for free.

The scientist doesn't cue cancer because he's an altruist. He does for fame and presteige.

A real leader would break capitalism, and bring on a utopia. (Don't tell me it's impossible or indesirable. We're talking leaders, not followers you follower. stick out tongue )

...full disclosure, this entire topic was inspired by the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy radio show. It's pretty awesome. thumb up

Flyattractor
If only KMC had actual "Leadership" .

jaden101

The scientist doesn't cue cancer because he's an altruist. He does for fame and presteige.

I've read some total manure on these forums but this is up there with the biggest turds of them all.

cdtm
I've read some total manure on these forums but this is up there with the biggest turds of them all.

Sure, why not?

Firefly218
Scientists and artists lead people into new ways of thinking. They don't lead by telling others what to do. They lead by showing others what is possible. thumb up Beautifully said

Flyattractor

Yet they have no problems working and taking money from said people that DO!

jaden101
Sure, why not?

This is the 1927 Solvay Conference. The photograph with arguably the most famous scientists ever.

How many can you name?

https://static.businessinsider.com/image/551eba6ceab8ea3923a43755/image.jpg

MythLord
Is that Hitler!?

On a more serious note, I think Mileva and Tesla are the only things missing for that to be the smartest picture in existance.

cdtm
I agree. thumb up

No idea what his point is supposed to be, but it's an impressive lineup.

Jack-Tha-King
Oprah. She's both black and female, she simply can't lose.

Firefly218
I agree. thumb up

No idea what his point is supposed to be, but it's an impressive lineup. You said Scientists are in it for fame and prestige. Think about that statement for a moment and then look at the picture.

Archaeopteryx
In modern America it's banks, corporations, and celebrities

SquallX

Surtur
You have to realize some scientists do seek fame and recognition, but you shouldn't confuse that with like....being a movie star. They seek that fame, etc. within the scientific community. Scientists tend not to give a shit what non scientists think of them.

jaden101
I agree. thumb up

No idea what his point is supposed to be, but it's an impressive lineup.

And yet you show that photo to people and they could pick out Einstein and that's about it.

But yeah. They do it for the fame.

dadudemon

Nice.

Originally posted by Firefly218
thumb up Beautifully said

I know, right. F*ckin' love jaden. smile

dadudemon
This is the 1927 Solvay Conference. The photograph with arguably the most famous scientists ever.

How many can you name?

https://static.businessinsider.com/image/551eba6ceab8ea3923a43755/image.jpg

Bohr, Curie, Einstein, Pauli, Planck, and Heisenberg.

That's it. The rest, I don't recognize.

Edit - Wait, I see Lorentz.

jaden101
Originally posted by dadudemon

Edit - Wait, I see Lorentz.

Only other ones I know are Dirac, Shrodinger and Langevin

Putinbot1

Edit - Wait, I see Lorentz. Rutherford is there

Firefly218

Edit - Wait, I see Lorentz. I know those names and their accomplishments but recognizing their actual faces is some impressive shit.

Flyattractor
What is really sad about looking at that pic is that nowadays most Mind Numbed Millennial that THIS TECHNOTARD is an Actual Scientist of note..

http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/38800000/Bill-Nye-the-Science-Guy-random-38801061-711-938.jpg

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.