How fast is Thor?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

krisblaze
How fast do you think Thor is?

There seems to be two trains of thought, one being that he's practically peak human and the other that he is FTL.

More than a long winded debate where Abhi eventually defecates on the sidewalk outside Rage's trailer I'm just curious as to how fast people consider him?

Perception and movement I suppose, with and without Mjolnir.

One Big Mob
Fast enough to land a shot, not fast enough to be the difference maker in his favor.

CosmicComet
Significantly slower than quicksilver in perception/reflexes.

Roughly around wolverine or at best spiderman levels. Even Marvels editorial places him there.

He has blocked bullets and caught mortar shells and such. He has never done more complex, lengthy tasks like build/repair an entire city or town in seconds.

At best I remember a silver age feat where he built a little fort/tower with bricks really quickly by himself, but even that was implied to have taken some time, at least a few minutes. Still a super humanly fast feat.

He may have fights with Gladiator who has legit ftl reaction feats but fights with speedsters means little by itself in comics. Even the x-men would be ftl if that were all it took, Batman too.

TheHulkster
Jane Thor has a complex speed feat.

One Big Mob
Originally posted by CosmicComet
Even the x-men would be ftl if that were all it took, Batman too. I don't get what you're implying here with Bats

CosmicComet
Originally posted by TheHulkster
Jane Thor has a complex speed feat.

She moved fast enough to melt a scalpel. Super sonic level stuff.

Nothing better than odinson's tower building feat.

CosmicComet
Originally posted by One Big Mob
I don't get what you're implying here with Bats

That if fights with high end speedsters in comics were all the evidence it took to be considered that fast then Batman's list of accomplishments are likely well up there with Thor.

One Big Mob
That if fights with high end speedsters in comics were all the evidence it took to be considered that fast then Batman's list of accomplishments are likely well up there with Thor. But you're implying Batman ISN'T ftl. And I can't wrap my head around that being the case.

He's a bad example to use imo.

darthgoober
He's pretty fast. I think I remember he was fighting Firelord in front of a bunch of people and the people thought there was an earthquake or something that was causing all the damage because they couldn't see the combatants.

Sin I AM
noone should ever use Wayne as an example except to troll

Fast enough to land a shot, not fast enough to be the difference maker in his favor.

but this is correct

Surtur
This reminds me of the MANY MANY Thor speed debates on CBR.

Some there tried to act like he was this massive FTL speedster, that he could react to Superman, etc

It was adorable. I think we ended up settling on "between Spiderman and Quicksilver" levels of speed.

DarkSaint85
Didn't he dig a ditch at superspeed?

darthgoober
Originally posted by darthgoober
He's pretty fast. I think I remember he was fighting Firelord in front of a bunch of people and the people thought there was an earthquake or something that was causing all the damage because they couldn't see the combatants.
I was wrong about the crowd thinking it was an earthquake, but their fight was happening too fast for the crowd below to see...

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/OneDumbG0/media/bWVkaWFJZDoyNjE2MDY2Mg==/?ref=

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Didn't he dig a ditch at superspeed?

You mean this feat?

https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/13/136540/3060183-2787701048-ThorS.jpg

Surtur
It's funny cuz, due to the CBR arguments, I knew exactly what he meant. It was Thor digging the ditch, but notice the "almost faster than mortal eyes can see".

Not that impressive, but impressive for Thor.

darthgoober
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
You mean this feat?

https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/13/136540/3060183-2787701048-ThorS.jpg
There's this one too and I personally find it a little more impressive since he digs the ditch around a crowd that includes Quicksilver(who's already in motion)...

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/OneDumbG0/media/bWVkaWFJZDoyNjE2NDY5MQ==/?ref=

celeyhyga17
Thor is not a speedster the same way let's say Mangog is not one either. However, every now and then they have showings that are far beyond a human's ability to move. But like I said, they won't be zipping around in super speed as if they all of a sudden gained powers from the speed force. That's not their thing.

Surtur
Wasn't Thor among a whole group of people Quicksilver blitzed in House of M? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Surtur
Wait no I think the House of M thing didn't have Thor, but it had Spider-Man. This was because of debates where people said in fights Spidey had tagged Quicksilver, in order to show when he gets seriously he can bltiz Spidey easily.

darthgoober
Originally posted by Surtur
Wasn't Thor among a whole group of people Quicksilver blitzed in House of M? Or am I thinking of someone else?
Very possible, his speed is definitely not consistent by any stretch of the imagination and the scan where he hems up Quicksilver an the rest is from an era where Pietro wasn't as fast. But still, if we're looking at Thor at his best, he's still pretty freaking quick and outside realm of even the best street level guys IMO.

abhilegend
Quicksilver has left Thor in dust.

https://s9.postimg.org/z4dckyulb/image.jpg

https://s9.postimg.org/4zovzlx7z/image.jpg

https://s9.postimg.org/9ll07yqgv/image.jpg

https://s9.postimg.org/o4s59dz1b/image.jpg

Monica has also made him look like a statue.

https://s9.postimg.org/9a3jvbzrv/image.jpg https://s9.postimg.org/xqlppt88b/image.jpg

Philosophía
Originally posted by krisblaze
How fast do you think Thor is? Just a bit below street levelers like Cap/Wolverine/Daredevil, in most of his appearances. It's likely that if they meet, Thor will notice they're faster.

Spiderman is the one who can straight up overwhelm him with pure speed/agility.

Anything above that, is a straight up blitz.

xJLxKing

Zack M
Slower than wolverine

StiltmanFTW
@xJLxKing

30-40 years ago, you mean.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Zack M
Slower than wolverine

Yup.

As confirmed by Tieri, Brevoort and the comic itself having both characters elaborating a bit on the speed issue...

CosmicComet
Remember that time years back when we said if Thor tried to go world breaker with his footsteps like Hulk, he'd break his ankle? And then a passing badger would knock him out while he's on the ground?

StiltmanFTW
Remember that time years back when we said if Thor tried to go world breaker with his footsteps like Hulk, he'd break his ankle? And then a passing badger would knock him out while he's on the ground?

laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud

Someone should post Thor vs. Harald Jaekelsson scans now...

TheHulkster

There seems to be two trains of thought, one being that he's practically peak human and the other that he is FTL.

More than a long winded debate where Abhi eventually defecates on the sidewalk outside Rage's trailer I'm just curious as to how fast people consider him?

About as fast as Darkseid or Orion.

RealityWarper

Someone should post Thor vs. Harald Jaekelsson scans now...

laughing out loud

Damborgson

2012 was a dark year...

krisblaze
Marvel really doesn't do a lot of super speed.

One Big Mob
Marvel is more about women's studies than useless shit like science or speed. Not having to write pesky characters like Reed and Val leaves room to hire and scout actual talented webcomic writers, not old men who want to add details no one cares about.

Philosophía
Marvel is more about women's studies than useless shit like science or speed. Not having to write pesky characters like Reed and Val leaves room to hire and scout actual talented webcomic writers, not old men who want to add details no one cares about. You just don't know how to appreciate the current social issues, as a white straight male.

http://i68.tinypic.com/6eoh8h.jpg

ghostman

oh my god laughing laughing please, need a link

CosmicComet

Someone should post Thor vs. Harald Jaekelsson scans now... Originally posted by Damborgson
2012 was a dark year...

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/2e/99/a2/2e99a2f715f435222a8236635fa73455.jpg

"I hear you was talking shit again Thor remember what happened last time!"

One Big Mob
laughing out loud at that scan.

I don't have words for how stupid that reads

Sin I AM

TheHulkster
And since we are bringing her up and talking about speed. When she was being written by a quality writer:

https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/2000/1*fYYpH1dvuqveNhPw6oDNlQ.jpeg

Zack M
Marvel is more about women's studies than useless shit like science or speed. Not having to write pesky characters like Reed and Val leaves room to hire and scout actual talented webcomic writers, not old men who want to add details no one cares about.

laughing out loud

StiltmanFTW
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/2e/99/a2/2e99a2f715f435222a8236635fa73455.jpg

"I hear you was talking shit again Thor remember what happened last time!"

"And remember, if you get up... it'll hurt a whole lot more."

Rage.Of.Olympus
She moved fast enough to melt a scalpel. Super sonic level stuff.

Nothing better than odinson's tower building feat.

Complex brain surgery on a dozen patients simultaneously? Are you basing that on the melting point of the scalpel?

This.

He's not going to speed blitz the opponent, but even if the opponent can fly many hundreds of times faster than light, he'll still land a hit (Vs. Gladiator).

Jane Thor speed blitz against the Frost Giants was really impressive however. Aaron's Thor was flying around many times the speed of light in combat. I think with Mjolnir in hand, maneuverability + dimensional breaking flight speed + superhuman reflexes makes speed a non-factor unless you really need to downplay it to justify there even being a fight.

TheHulkster
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
Complex brain surgery on a dozen patients simultaneously? Are you basing that on the melting point of the scalpel?

The scalpels actually melt:

https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_medium/11118/111184849/5726407-14.jpg

Rage.Of.Olympus
Ah, I just noticed. The scalpels actually melt and she switches them.

Complex brain surgery, including the initial incisions (Skull, tissue, and into the brain), treatment and removal on multiple patients simultaneously in a few moments before they all die is a ridiculously impressive application of speed I could only imagine the Flash accomplishing. And they weren't even normal tumors, they were growing, evil tumors that fought back.

Even more impressively, this was her first time using speed at this level as she never had to before, which I think pretty much sums up this thread.

Galan007
And they weren't even normal tumors, they were growing, evil tumors that fought back. This made me lol. thumb up

CosmicComet
Basically she did several hours of work in moments.

It's a good but certainly not elite speed feat at all. Casual lightning side stepping Quicksilver could certainly do it.

New 52 Supes read every medical text ever published (physical books and digital databases too) and in seemingly seconds, not just read, but understood and mastered.

Supergirl transcribed several quintillion lines of code in a literal eye blink.

Both are feats that are countless orders of magnitude faster than Jane Thor's feat. In the case of Supergirl' s feat it's actually a massively faster than light feat done casually. And by massively I mean lots of zeros. Like a flash type of feat.

carver9
How fast do you have to move to melt metal just by moving around? That's insane.

CosmicComet
Super sonic.

krisblaze
Comet, why are you bringing Supergirl or Superman into this?

You don't have to perceive a thread about Thor as a slight to them.

You're just derailing now.

CosmicComet
You should be talking to Rage. He brought up the comparison to Flash for the Jane Thor feat saying he can't imagine a character outside of a Flash doing what she did.

I corrected him, more accurately appraising the feat and giving two feats by non-Flash characters that are easily far above the feat. I also brought up Quicksilver first as a character that could easily replicate that feat, before the two you mentioned.

krisblaze
Rage wasn't even aware of the scalpel feat, shut the fu ck up man.

CosmicComet

Complex brain surgery, including the initial incisions (Skull, tissue, and into the brain), treatment and removal on multiple patients simultaneously in a few moments before they all die is a ridiculously impressive application of speed I could only imagine the Flash accomplishing. And they weren't even normal tumors, they were growing, evil tumors that fought back.

Even more impressively, this was her first time using speed at this level as she never had to before, which I think pretty much sums up this thread.

^How about you try reading your own thread my poor Norwegian fool?

no expression

Congrats on inadvertently derailing this yourself. Didn't need my help.

krisblaze
^How about you try reading your own thread my poor Norwegian fool?

no expression

Congrats on inadvertently derailing this yourself. Didn't need my help.

You can tell that Rage doesn't know what he's talking about.

abhilegend
You can tell rage doesn't know about anything anytime he posts.

spetznaz

riv6672

Fast enough to react to and deflect multiple/then catch a tank round (average speed 1580 to 1750 m/s) in flight.

https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/13/136540/3060232-6962223918-Thor-.jpg

You're welcome, KMCer.

spetznaz

spetznaz
Originally posted by riv6672
Fast enough to react to and deflect multiple/then catch a tank round (average speed 1580 to 1750 m/s) in flight.

https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/13/136540/3060232-6962223918-Thor-.jpg

You're welcome, KMCer.

Midnighter did that with a tank shell as well ...by kicking it ...

spetznaz
https://m.imgur.com/a/iUZKI

riv6672
Originally posted by spetznaz
Midnighter did that with a tank shell as well ...by kicking it ...
Midnighter is incredibly fast.
And since Thor's feat is obviously more impressive, as he dealt with multiple rounds/actually caught one, while flying, he is obviously
-much- faster.
Having answered the OP question there's nothing left for me to add.

Thanks for the corroboration, KMCer.

xJLxKing
Originally posted by carver9
How fast do you have to move to melt metal just by moving around? That's insane.
How are you impressed by that feat but now Supergirl transcribing several quintillion lines of code in a literal eye blink.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by abhilegend
You can tell rage doesn't know about anything anytime he posts.

laughing out loud

TheHulkster

Rage.Of.Olympus
You should be talking to Rage. He brought up the comparison to Flash for the Jane Thor feat saying he can't imagine a character outside of a Flash doing what she did.

I corrected him, more accurately appraising the feat and giving two feats by non-Flash characters that are easily far above the feat. I also brought up Quicksilver first as a character that could easily replicate that feat, before the two you mentioned.

Bruh, I mentioned the Flash, because he's the benchmark for speed and the type of precision needed to accomplish brain surgery is something you'd only see someone like him do regularly.

I wasn't trying to start a comparison war to DC characters. But I've learned my lesson now. I'll avoid mentioning any character from DC so I don't trigger anyone I guess....

cdtm

I think an ftl argument takes more proof then "tagging" someone. Speedsters get tagged all the time. Captain Boomerang?

I do think Mjolnir is ftl.

TheHulkster

cdtm

It's a good feat.

Not sure how to quantify it, but I'm sure some wanna be Sheldon will calculate how much speed is needed to melt surgical steel.

Rage.Of.Olympus
If Thor typed out a quintillion lines of code in a second, it wouldn't count because the keyboard was able to survive the strokes at that speed, so clearly it wasn't very fast.

Originally posted by cdtm
It's a good feat.

Not sure how to quantify it, but I'm sure some wanna be Sheldon will calculate how much speed is needed to melt surgical steel.

Same.

Tbh, I just thought it was really cool, and showed how fast Thor could be. It was done effortlessly out of necessity. It also showed how Aaron further viewed Thor's super speed. We have evidence of Thor fighting at FTL speeds and punching each other across lightyears. Some argue that this doesn't require legitimate super-speed, it's nice confirmation that duh, it does.

cdtm
If Thor typed out a quintillion lines of code in a second, it wouldn't count because the keyboard was able to survive the strokes at that speed, so clearly it wasn't very fast.

Byrne actually covered that with his invention of an extendible electro-chemical aura. wink

It explains buildings holding together, and has been extended to protect people.

cdtm

Same.

Tbh, I just thought it was really cool, and showed how fast Thor could be. It was done effortlessly out of necessity. It also showed how Aaron further viewed Thor's super speed. We have evidence of Thor fighting at FTL speeds and punching each other across lightyears. Some argue that this doesn't require legitimate super-speed, it's nice confirmation that duh, it does.

Thor's had unarguable speed feats before, but always subsonic. This is the first one you could argue is much, much faster.

Aaron taking a stance on an issue that other writers avoided addressing for decades is a positive check to his credit in my book.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Byrne actually covered that with his invention of an extendible electro-chemical aura. wink

It explains buildings holding together, and has been extended to protect people.

I was just joking. But 100% some would argue that exact same thing which is what made it funny. Anyways, I wasn't trying to bait you but thanks for the info. thumb up

How fast would you rate Thor under Aaron then based on combat showings?

Gladiator traveled Galaxies in the time it took Heimdall of all people to blink AND struck him accurately across that distance (I.e. reflexes and precision needed to deal with hundreds X ftl):
https://s14.postimg.org/rtvyg2nil/RCO003_1484152743.jpg https://s14.postimg.org/4sfdacb0d/RCO004_1484152743.jpg https://s14.postimg.org/ub7pncf4t/RCO005_1484152743.jpg

Jane reacted, and beat him to the punch mid-flight as he chased her down.
https://s14.postimg.org/4sfdac3al/RCO016_1484152743.jpg

I'm curious as to where you stand. Do you think he ignored Gladiator's speed? Because he was aware and even gave him Silver Age wankery five pages before that.

abhilegend
Bruh, I mentioned the Flash, because he's the benchmark for speed and the type of precision needed to accomplish brain surgery is something you'd only see someone like him do regularly.

I wasn't trying to start a comparison war to DC characters. But I've learned my lesson now. I'll avoid mentioning any character from DC so I don't trigger anyone I guess....
laughing out loud

This crybaby.

krisblaze
Okay, that's great and all.

We already know how fast Abhi and Rage think Thor is.

I was curious about the rest of the board, other than the two who chime in on every Thor thread uhuh

carver9
Originally posted by xJLxKing
How are you impressed by that feat but now Supergirl transcribing several quintillion lines of code in a literal eye blink.

I don't know what Supergirl did. They actually showed Jane doing her ft.

abhilegend
This is absolutely not showing the feat, eh?

https://i.imgur.com/cIr3ug5.jpg

CosmicComet
It's a good feat.

-If you low-ball it going by the scalpels melting at those speeds you would get low sonic speeds. (But admittedly we shouldn't because real life items tend to hold up much better in super speeds in comics than they would in reality.)

-If you go by narration, Jane specifically said she was moving like lightning to do the feat, which would be like a ~Mach 200 feat on average.

-The other way, try to compare it with human perceptions.

It may be rough so no one come for my head.

A normal human surgery for tumors may last a few hours on average, but let's high ball it and say each person there would have taken a human surgeon a full 24 hours to work on, to try to account for unknown factors. I counted 6 patients, so a week's worth of work. And going by the length of the scene I'd say Jane took a minute at most to do it. So maybe 6 days worth of man-hours done in 60 seconds.

So one second would feel like almost 2 and a half hours for her. A reaction time of like 116 microseconds.

For comparison a bolt of lightning lasts anywhere from 10 to 50 microseconds.

ShadowFyre
Most of this is true, except the speed wasn't melting the plane, it was warping the wings.

I think y'all are down playing the scalpel feat. She was melting multiple scalpels at the same time. That is way past Mach 1.

CosmicComet
She switched scalpels as they melted, because they are no longer useful when they melt.

At any rate the scalpel melting part low balls the feat, I gave it a better calc above.

xJLxKing
Are you in denial or just didn't see the scan?

Rage.Of.Olympus
Well, we went 4 pages before a scan for Superman and co. was posted. Some kind of record tbh. Now that we've got the obligatory bullshit out of the way.

How do people rate Thor's speed, especially post-Aaron?

Is he competitive with classic flying bricks when he flies with Mjolnir? Without it, how fast is he now that we know he has classical forms of super-speed (God of Thunder can move with the speed of lightning etc.).

celeyhyga17

celeyhyga17
I think an ftl argument takes more proof then "tagging" someone. Speedsters get tagged all the time. Captain Boomerang?

I do think Mjolnir is ftl.
It's a little wonky because how can he outrace a laser right? Lol.
For full disclosure, Thor wasn't even around Clint. He left Living Laser and Hawkeye alone to have an honorable match or some such.
http://imgur.com/H7uEcZk.jpg

Wonkier still.. Mjolnir outraces the laser beam and Thor had enough time to whirl it around for shielding. This happened a couple of pages before. Lol... Comics..
http://imgur.com/rKbtUU5.jpg

TheHulkster

xJLxKing
I think he is on Wolverine's level majority of the time with a few exceptions where he has tagged or fought with opponents that were faster

I just don't think marvel is into speed.

TheHulkster

RealityWarper

Rage.Of.Olympus

TheHulkster
Originally posted by RealityWarper
I agree ! big grin

Even the crossovers shows that.

There isn't much emphasizes on combat speed in comics, that's much more a manga thing.

Speed is emphasized as an equalizer. That is why the speed of weaker characters and Street level characters are emphasized. When characters are equal in strength, they move at the same speed. If comics had to be totally consistent, they would either take away all superspeed from top tiers or give them all superspeed while no longer having street levelers interact with top tiers.

Speed may be emphasized less in Marvel because Street level characters are more prominent and interact more with top tiers.

RealityWarper
Speed is emphasized as an equalizer. That is why the speed of weaker characters and Street level characters are emphasized. When characters are equal in strength, they move at the same speed. If comics had to be totally consistent, they would either take away all superspeed from top tiers or give them all superspeed while no longer having street levelers interact with top tiers.

Speed may be emphasized less in Marvel because Street level characters are more prominent and interact more with top tiers.

That's wrong. They almost all fight at similar speed.

There is simply no correlation between the ability to run/fly fast of the top tier and their ability to trade blows.

Nothing is equalized, nada.

You are rationalizing something which doesn't need to be rationalized.

h1a8

His perceptions are very high. He can at least see bullets moving through the air. So on average, I'll say 5-10 times faster than a human in perceptions.

His movement speed is about 2-5x the speed as Cap. So probably about 5-10 times faster than a human.

Traveling speed is more about acceleration and not top speed. How long does it take a character to reach light speed?

TheHulkster

RealityWarper

Surtur
Have Thor and the FTL space demons been mentioned?

TheHulkster

RealityWarper

RealityWarper

RealityWarper
Kingpin isn't exactly as bulky as Hulk too and Spider-man is holding back against him to avoid killing him...

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/9b/a5/ce/9ba5ce343adb8ece9cbe3c2f96940a60.jpg

He isn't exactly as quick as Spider-man too...

TheHulkster

RealityWarper

abhilegend

TheHulkster
Originally posted by RealityWarper
Fine that we agree about Hulk vs Spider-man.

Gladiator has superspeed when it's about running and flying, when it is about trading blows he is in the same class than other characters. Nothing special about it.

Yeah, and Kingpin isn't quicker than Spidey, which doesn't make Spidey untouchable.

Gladiator does have combat speed.

https://m.imgur.com/qdDONhS

https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/10/104272/2131263-cannonball3.jpg

https://m.imgur.com/m7ogtTz

https://m.imgur.com/f7CxaPz

TheHulkster

Philosophía
You can tell that Rage doesn't know what he's talking about. I'm astonished that for somebody who only reads Thor comics, he doesn't even read them properly.

She switched scalpels as they melted, because they are no longer useful when they melt. When I did the calculus, I didn't want to use the friction of the actual surgery process. Or the fact that there's visible lightning flying around, which further increases the temperature:
https://i.imgur.com/sw3k2N2.jpg
..that obviously takes this down, a lot.

Ignoring all of that, it comes down to low-mach. Including it, it's barely there.

abhilegend

TheHulkster

TheHulkster

TheHulkster
Lightning is no more than a visual effect.

RealityWarper
Gladiator does have combat speed.

https://m.imgur.com/qdDONhS

https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/10/104272/2131263-cannonball3.jpg

https://m.imgur.com/f7CxaPz

Nothing special.

The Gladiator Vs Hyperion fight is one of the most overused and misinterpreted scan used by fanboys. A single attack/defense per panel is nothing special. If the narrator used "instantly" instead of "nanosecond" this fight would have been totally unnoticed.

He is firing a laser. Nice for him.

abhilegend

celeyhyga17

h1a8
Originally posted by h1a8
His perceptions are very high. He can at least see bullets moving through the air. So on average, I'll say 5-10 times faster than a human in perceptions.

His movement speed is about 2-5x the speed as Cap. So probably about 5-10 times faster than a human.

Traveling speed is more about acceleration and not top speed. How long does it take a character to reach light speed?

Rage.Of.Olympus

TheHulkster
I mean, if it's canon, it's canon. Leave the dismissal of feats to Abhilegend.

He needs it.

I'm playing his game.

abhilegend
I mean, if it's canon, it's canon. Leave the dismissal of feats to Abhilegend.

He needs it.
laughing out loud

Yeah, right.

Rage.Of.Olympus
I'm playing his game.

I know, but it'll bury the thread bro. Not worth it. thumb up

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.