Was Coruscant a light side nexus?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mendax
Only asking because that was the base of the entire Jedi Order for thousands of years. You'd think some part of that power would have rubbed off lol.

And if it was, why did Sidious stay there after he destroyed the Jedi? I;d think he wouldn't like being around all that residual light sided energy. confused

Nephthys
In the new canon I recall there was actually a darkside nexus beneath the Jedi Temple that they thought they'd be able to turn but were never able to.

Which would be really pathetic is it where true.

Galan007
^ There was indeed a powerful Sith shrine on Coruscant -- and as you said, the Jedi actually built their Temple directly over it.

The shrine was so powerful, in fact, that it actually served to help weaken/corrupt the Jedi Order for all those thousands of years since their Temple's construction, without them ever realizing such:

...So Palpatine obviously had nothing to fear from the light that had once existed on Coruscant.

JMANGO
knightfall vader was amped.

AncientPower
The same is true in Legends, actually. Which actually makes Plagueis' claim of some light side nexus existing across the galaxy pretty hilarious tbh.

Freedon Nadd
Does that lowball Palpatine's feats on Coruscant?

Azronger
Originally posted by JMANGO
knightfall vader was amped.

Nah, in Legends, the effects of the Sith shrine have never been mentioned to have any significant effect, and the RotS novel itself confirms the Jedi Temple to be a lightside nexus. I think another source states Coruscant is a lightside nexus too.

So Sheev and Vader were hindered during their residence and fighting there thumb up

Freedon Nadd
Sithisis confirms what has been said in the canon.

Mendax
Originally posted by Azronger
Nah, in Legends, the effects of the Sith shrine have never been mentioned to have any significant effect, and the RotS novel itself confirms the Jedi Temple to be a lightside nexus. so how does that factor in with the source galan posted? Was it a light AND dark nexus during ROTS lol?

Mendax
Originally posted by Freedon Nadd
Sithisis confirms what has been said in the canon. how so?

Galan007
Originally posted by Mendax
so how does that factor in with the source galan posted? Was it a light AND dark nexus during ROTS lol? At a time when there was a Temple full of hundreds/thousands of Jedi, light was obviously the predominate and prevailing force that could be sensed on Coruscant. While the Sith shrine buried beneath was powerful enough to seep into the Temple and help weaken/corrupt the Jedi for thousands of years without them ever suspecting such, it certainly wasn't powerful enough to completely overcome *that* much light on its own.

So no, Coruscant being regarded exclusively as a light side nexus prior to the crescendo of RotS still makes sense, all things considered.

Azronger
so how does that factor in with the source galan posted? Was it a light AND dark nexus during ROTS lol?

They're from different continuities.

Freedon Nadd
how so?

1. How the visuals are portrayed
2. It's a closed chamber that looks very Sith-y
3. Palpatine was using a Dark Side/Sith crystal to get the aid of Chaos spirits to fog the Jedi's foresight

Darth Abonis
No, I don't think Light Side nexuses exist, purely because nexus's are created by violent acts of murder or power through the Force. I answered a similar question regarding if the Tatooine Tusken Camp where Anakin slaughtered all the Sand People was a nexus. I originally said no, but now I say yes. It was a nexus. A small nexus, but a nexus nonetheless.

Azronger
Light side nexuses clearly do exist in the lore.

Galan007
Originally posted by Azronger
They're from different continuities. True, but the RotS novelization is still canon, no? Because it does indeed regard the Jedi Temple on Coruscant as the greatest light side nexus in the Order:

Hence my previous response as to why light could have still been the predominate/prevailing force on Coruscant, despite an active(and quite powerful) Sith shrine existing below the Temple. /shrug

Freedon Nadd
The Temple may be, but not Coruscant.

Mendax
SO do you guys think the presence of Sidious + it being built over a potent dark side shrine would have been been the driving forces that converted the temple into more of a dark side nexus after ROTS?

Galan007
^ I'd imagine the slaughter of dozens of children in the Temple(along with a slew of other innocents) contributed to that as well.

Freedon Nadd
SO do you guys think the presence of Sidious + it being built over a potent dark side shrine would have been been the driving forces that converted the temple into more of a dark side nexus after ROTS?

In Legends, it was not his presence. It was his dark side rituals he conducted in that Sith shrine with the aid of the Sith ghosts.

Galan007
Came across these little tidbits and thought they were worth posting here...

https://i.imgur.com/9PjIJy2.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ewqRBjX.jpg

Freedon Nadd
Canon?

Galan007
It's from the 2016 Nexus of Power Sourcebook(I'm sure it's been mentioned here before.) It lists most of the noteworthy force nexuses/vergences in the galaxy... Seems to be a mix of canon and Legends, tbh.

That said, I only posted those excerpts in this thread because they help corroborate information we were given in the Tarkin novelization:

Freedon Nadd
Does that undermine Plagueis and Sidious' cosmic feats against the Jedi Order or Sidious' use of periodic Sith rituals to fog the Jedi's Force foresight?

Galan007
To some extent, yes.

Darth Thor
In Canon Nexus are mostly pretty negligible in terms of combat performance.

Exception of course being Mortis.

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ

Freedon Nadd
Originally posted by Galan007
To some extent, yes.

Wait a moment. Isn't that Sith shrine depicted in Sithisis? Palpatine does same real job there.

Galan007
The Ultimate Visual Guide explains the events of Sithisis a bit:

https://i.imgur.com/juE8L9Z.jpg

Freedon Nadd
It is confirmed. Palpatine needed a dark side nexus to do what he did.

Galan007
Not necessarily. Though the evidence does suggest that the shrine's influence may have made the task easier for Palpatine in the long run.

Freedon Nadd
Uh, yeah!?

On Kalakar Six and in Sithisis(a single torrent of his Force lightning turned into charred husk and ash three Dark Side Prophets and that Sith wyrm) Yet, he isn't able to do so with Windu(who is kind of 'unarmed' and receives his full power from the Force lightning)

Galan007
Which is exactly why I don't like comparing Legends to canon, and vice versa.

No need to make the franchise more inconsistent than it already is.

Freedon Nadd
Yes, but the Sith shrine is Legends, though.

Galan007
Where canon is concerned, all we know is that the Sith shrine existed under the Jedi Temple, and helped to corrupt/weaken the Jedi(to *some* extent) over the years. We also know the shrine's influence may have ultimately made it easier for Palpatine to overthrow the Order as a whole.

That doesn't necessarily canonize the events of Sithisis by default, however.

One Big Mob
Palpatine has to turn one of the most powerful Jedi in the Order into ash or his power is called into question? Wouldn't that signify the amount of power Windu has in his (one armed) body as opposed to a lack on Palpatine's part?
You might as well be putting everyone on the same resistance level to lightning if that's the case.

Freedon Nadd
Originally posted by Galan007
Where canon is concerned, all we know is that the Sith shrine existed under the Jedi Temple, and helped to corrupt/weaken the Jedi(to *some* extent) over the years. We also know the shrine's influence may have ultimately made it easier for Palpatine to overthrow the Order as a whole.

That doesn't necessarily canonize the events of Sithisis by default, however.

Sithisis is non-Legends, then?

Freedon Nadd
Originally posted by One Big Mob
Palpatine has to turn one of the most powerful Jedi in the Order into ash or his power is called into question? Wouldn't that signify the amount of power Windu has in his (one armed) body as opposed to a lack on Palpatine's part?
You might as well be putting everyone on the same resistance level to lightning if that's the case.

Mind=blown.
Windu>Palpatine. I knew it.

Freedon Nadd
Also, Revan was able to deflect an ashy lightning attack against Nyriss with a bare effort.

One Big Mob
Mind=blown.
Windu>Palpatine. I knew it. Palpatine not turning Windu into ash while killing him wouldn't lead you into that false dichotomy. It means his power wasn't enough to instantly vaporize him, and he cut it off before that happened.

Also, Revan was able to deflect an ashy lightning attack against Nyriss with a bare effort. Do you think this would strengthen or hinder your case when looking at this without full context would imply the resistance to force lightning would have a direct correlation to your power, and is the difference between ash and unharmed? That of course would naturally flow into varying degrees of damage depending on your resistance.

Galan007
Sithisis is non-Legends, then? *Legends. There's not much reason to think Sithisis itself is canon, just because the Sith shrine beneath the Jedi Temple is canon.

However, even IF Sithisis were canon, I'd sooner think Palpatine was preforming said rituals at his base in the LiMerge Building on Coruscant, as opposed to underneath the Jedi Temple itself.

After all, we know for a fact that Palpatine canonically used the LiMerge Building to preform other, very powerful, Sith rituals/magic during TCW, so it would make sense for the rituals in Sithisis to take place there as well. Trying to preform rituals of that magnitude in a shrine just below the Jedi Temple would have been a bit too bold(even for Palpatine), and undoubtedly risked drawing attention from the hundreds of Jedi above. /shrug

The_Tempest
The ritual in Sithisis was conducted in the tower that Sidious used to perform Vader'a surgery.

Galan007
The Sithisis ritual was conducted here?:
https://i.imgur.com/Bf4qCKr.jpg

Interesting. Was that specific location mentioned in a different source?

The_Tempest
Incredible Cross Sections or Complete Locations gives a diagram of the entire tower. The giant Sith crystal is identified.

Galan007
Originally posted by The_Tempest
Incredible Cross Sections or Complete Locations gives a diagram of the entire tower. The giant Sith crystal is identified. thumb up

http://i.imgur.com/dAl8tjwm.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/7mLHbGqm.jpg
-Star Wars: Complete Locations (2005)

Freedon Nadd
And Sith crystals are infused with Dark Side energy.

Freedon Nadd
Palpatine not turning Windu into ash while killing him wouldn't lead you into that false dichotomy. It means his power wasn't enough to instantly vaporize him, and he cut it off before that happened.

Do you think this would strengthen or hinder your case when looking at this without full context would imply the resistance to force lightning would have a direct correlation to your power, and is the difference between ash and unharmed? That of course would naturally flow into varying degrees of damage depending on your resistance.

1. That would suggest Windu is at least=Palpatine. And the novel clearly mentions that Palpatine blasted him using his full extent of power.
2. Second case Nyriss was on a Dark Side nexus and Revan's connection to the Force was weakened and he easily deflected an attack that would turn people into ash.

One Big Mob
1. That would suggest Windu is at least=Palpatine. And the novel clearly mentions that Palpatine blasted him using his full extent of power.
2. Second case Nyriss was on a Dark Side nexus and Revan's connection to the Force was weakened and he easily deflected an attack that would turn people into ash. So your conclusion is that if someone isn't instantly turned to ash by force lightning, that they are equals or superiors even if they get severely damaged/killed?
Also the novel also created the "bending lightsaber" angle as well. Windu took this attack without being ashed. He is incredibly powerful. Not everyone can take the lightning as well as another being, which is the point. For whatever reason you think bringing up the Revan example helps your case here, when it only serves to highlight that fact.

So what you're saying is that if someone were powerful enough, they could take an ash rendering lightning attack without actually turning into ash? How far away from my original point.

Freedon Nadd
So your conclusion is that if someone isn't instantly turned to ash by force lightning, that they are equals or superiors even if they get severely damaged/killed?
Also the novel also created the "bending lightsaber" angle as well. Windu took this attack without being ashed. He is incredibly powerful. Not everyone can take the lightning as well as another being, which is the point. For whatever reason you think bringing up the Revan example helps your case here, when it only serves to highlight that fact.

So what you're saying is that if someone were powerful enough, they could take an ash rendering lightning attack without actually turning into ash? How far away from my original point.

Isn't this the very reason you say that Windu wasn't turned instantly into ash because he was so 'strong'?

One Big Mob
Isn't this the very reason you say that Windu wasn't turned instantly into ash because he was so 'strong'? What?

Anyway, I'm saying that Windu was one of the most powerful Jedi of all time and apparently had a heavy lightning resistance of whatever that entails, hence "strong" is a good catchall to explain it.

Him not being ashed does not raise questions of other beings being ashed. That in itself is not enough to conclude something of which you did in your original post about ash.

Those 3 acolytes admitted Vader might have beaten them when they thought he was way below Darth Maul. They are nothing special. The ritual wyrm too, did nothing. Those feats in itself are not enough to conclude that Sidious was significantly amped and could never do it under normal power far away from Nexuses just because he failed to turn Windu into a skeleton. Bringing up Revan does nothing to change that fact. Bringing up Revan only highlights that there is some sort of resistance to that level of power.

I'm not saying Sheev was amped or not, but him failing to ash Windu doesn't make that clear is all. Nor can that be misconstrued into some sort of logic that makes Windu equal or greater than Sheev.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.