Will China win the A.I. race because of Trump?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Ellimist
While China is pledging >100 billion dollars in investment on AI, Trump...hasn't even acknowledged its existence, even when his entire economic focus, working class jobs, is inextricably linked to its rise. The closest we've gotten to a comment from his administration is his treasury secretary claiming that mass automation is "50-100 years away", which might be one of the dumbest lines I've ever heard from a U.S. cabinet member. Likewise, Trump's attack on h1b visas and the general chilling effect on immigration mitigates one of America's biggest trump cards as an international talent attractor.

Remember that, for better or worse (and the safety concerns are very legitimate), A.I. is possibly the single most impactful technology in human history. Is coal mining really more important than it?

Is this a deliberate political strategy or genuine ignorance / arrogance / stupidity?

Kurk
Honestly, even if Trump wasn't pres, Americans are too stupid for us to ever beat China or Japan at tech.

Kurk
Ell, are you a Vanu Sovereignty person IRL?

cdtm
So Trump stalls to replace low paid workers with automation, or replace them with lower paid off shore employees.

Awesome.

cdtm
*Wait on "But if they put everyone out of work with robots, who will they profit from! Therefore they won't put everyone out of work" arguments*

Look around you. Look at grocery stores in formerly middle class areas. They're switching their focus from the "middle class" to more upscale clients, with deeper pockets willing to spend more freely.

They don't need a healthy middle class or low unemployment to profit. They can just switch their focus to the well to do, all the way up to the 1%.

They're doing that now, and they've been doing it. And they can totally put armies of the working poor out of work completely along the way, just like they did with factory workers.

Flyattractor
Originally posted by Kurk
Honestly, even if Trump wasn't pres, Americans are too stupid for us to ever beat China or Japan at tech.

Well that is a Racist Remark if ever there was one...

Kurk
Fly is afraid of losing his mindless, minimum wage, physical labor job.

Flyattractor

Almost as much as I am of Racist Xenophobic Leftists taking over the world.

But I still think you are adorable Kurk.

eek!

Robtard
Originally posted by The Ellimist
While China is pledging >100 billion dollars in investment on AI, Trump...hasn't even acknowledged its existence, even when his entire economic focus, working class jobs, is inextricably linked to its rise. The closest we've gotten to a comment from his administration is his treasury secretary claiming that mass automation is "50-100 years away", which might be one of the dumbest lines I've ever heard from a U.S. cabinet member. Likewise, Trump's attack on h1b visas and the general chilling effect on immigration mitigates one of America's biggest trump cards as an international talent attractor.

Remember that, for better or worse (and the safety concerns are very legitimate), A.I. is possibly the single most impactful technology in human history. Is coal mining really more important than it?

Is this a deliberate political strategy or genuine ignorance / arrogance / stupidity?

He's appeasing his billionaire friends in the right now and not bothering looking to the future. It's all about how much money guys like Robert Murray can make in the short term as coal's a dying industry. So yes, his actions will hurt us in the future where we'll be behind in alternative energies like solar, wind and kinetic and certainly in the AI department which could be integrated into managing/operating those future sources, among the multiple of other segments of society (health, automotive, construction etc). We'll be buying what we need from China instead of selling as a leader to the rest of the world.

Surtur
Trump should start by first reviewing all the advances in AI made by the previous administration and then work on a plan to build on what was done in the past.

Robtard

Surtur

The Ellimist
@kurk I mean the U.S. has been the world leader in technology for quite a while.

I guess I'm a futurist, yeah.

Surtur
Originally posted by The Ellimist
@kurk I mean the U.S. has been the world leader in technology for quite a while.

You ever worry that AI will become too advanced?

SquallX

Surtur

Kurk
Originally posted by Surtur
You ever worry that AI will become too advanced? I want it to happen. Originally posted by The Ellimist

But we're not producing the bright young minds; it's the foreigners that are being recruited.

The Ellimist
Originally posted by Surtur
You ever worry that AI will become too advanced?

I have two worries:

1. That the goals we give the AI will have unintended consequences (classic thought experiment: paperclip company makes AI that has goal of maximizing paperclips, so it turns the entire planet into a bunch of paperclips and starts spreading paperclips throughout the universe)

2. That the wrong people will get to AI first.

The second concern IMHO is less likely than the first one unless if progress in the West stalls significantly.

cdtm

What if Fly was really black and poor? Would losing his only means of income still be funny?

Adam_PoE
Originally posted by cdtm
What if Fly was really black and poor? Would losing his only means of income still be funny?

He's still Fly, so yeah.

Flyattractor
Adam would have to. If He agree'ed He would lose all Political Support from His Lefty OverLords

Rockydonovang
the more important question is whether government's will start regulating ai use before it's too late.

DarthSkywalker0
cringy kbro

The Ellimist
?

Rockydonovang
Originally posted by DarthSkywalker0
cringy kbro
u rite, we should let beings who can do more than us grow a desire for self preservation. That'll end well.

Robtard
It does in most films on the subject stick out tongue

The Ellimist
The other question is which entity will win the race.

AGI might be a very long ways away (if it ever comes), so it's very possible that the landscape will look very different then: that being said, at the moment Google seems to be in the lead.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.