Who is a better strategist ? lex luthor vs Thanos

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Single-Cell
lex luthor from Batman V Superman against Thanos from Infinity War , who is better in making strategies ?

quanchi112
Thanos.

Arachnid1
Thanos didn't have strategies. His method of winning was to throw an army at everything or just show up, stomp everyone, and take the stone.

Lex, despite how much I hate this incarnation of him, at least had a plan he carried out as by himself, and he figured out/exploited the fact that Lois was Supes' weakness.

quanchi112

FrothByte
If Superman or Batman had exercised an ounce of common-sense, Lex's plans would have completely failed.

That said, Thanos didn't exactly make any elaborate plans himself. He blackmailed Loki by torturing Thor, blackmailed Gamora by torturing Nebula, but that's pretty much it. Of course, Thanos didn't need any elaborate planning because he was strong enough to just take what he wanted.

So taking that into account, I'd have to give Thanos the default win. It's better to have no plan than be the one with an idiotic plan.

BruceSkywalker
Thanos

NotAllThatEvil
Luthor. The only reason superman is alive is because his adopted mom shares the same name as Martha Wayne, plus technically superman was dead by the end of the film, so......

quanchi112

Silent Master
Bottom line, Thanos succeeded. Luthor failed.

relentless1
Originally posted by Silent Master

Luthor didn't fail, Superman died at the end of BvS; did you even watch the movie??

Silent Master
So being sent to jail and Batman surviving were part of his plan?

ares834

Silent Master
I don't remember Thanos failing in IW, what scenes are you talking about?

quanchi112

Flyattractor
You have to say Thanos but that is only because of Plot Armor and WIS. Or should that be WIL?

But yeah. He is Plotted to win so the writers don't have to really TRY to do it well.

quanchi112

Flyattractor

quanchi112

Flyattractor
Luthor didn't have an All Purpose MacGuffin Glove. And Luthor in other Stories has WON against the Heroes. These are JUST Stories. Thanos ISN"t a Real Person. This is just like Wrestling on TV. Or do you think that is real too?

Thanos WON because the Story required it. He will Lose when the Story requires it.

Take a Step into reality some time Quanny Boy.

quanchi112

Flyattractor
You are totally Lost in a World of Delusion. Which is very sad .
But I still find it very funny. You are Truly the Ugly Face of Nerd Fandom.

I would Pity you if I cared about you. Which thankfully I don't.

quanchi112

Flyattractor
Sure ya do Quanny. Sure ya do..and I bet you got the Purple Prune Chin to go with it to.

eek!

quanchi112
Originally posted by Flyattractor
Sure ya do Quanny. Sure ya do..and I bet you got the Purple Prune Chin to go with it to.

eek! I will put my mug up against yours any day of the week.

Flyattractor
Uh huh.

quanchi112
Uh huh. So you concede your ugly face to my money maker. I win again.

Flyattractor
Did you just admit to being a Prostitute?

quanchi112

Flyattractor
I aint here to make you laugh Skippy. Just to make Me laugh.

And Laughing at you is ALWAYS a great time for me.

quanchi112

Flyattractor
I care about what I care about. I care about comics, but yes. I don't really care about these characters. None of them are on my Fav Marvel List.

But then You are blinded by your bias.

quanchi112

Flyattractor
Why didn't this movie have Hawkeye? I like Him. Ant man is cool. Did he get any love in it?

And Personal Attacks. Yep. That is so you Quanny.

quanchi112

Flyattractor
It is a SUCCESS because it is a Fun Popcorn Movie. Vast Majority of Viewers are NO WHERE near as invested as Psychotic Fanboys like YOU!

ares834
I don't remember Thanos failing in IW, what scenes are you talking about?

Strawman. I never said such a thing.

Silent Master
Thanos' plan was to collect all the stones and kill half the universe.

Last I checked, IW ended with Thanos having the complete IG and half the universe being killed.

ares834
It did. And like I said, it's obviously a temporary victory.

Silent Master
Originally posted by ares834
It did. And like I said, it's obviously a temporary victory.

A temporary victory is better than a failure.

ares834
It depends, in Thanos's case it is a failure.

Silent Master
It depends, in Thanos's case it is a failure.

His plan was to get the IG and kill half the universe, which is exactly what he did. that is the complete opposite of a failure.

ares834
His plan was to get the IG and kill half the universe, which is exactly what he did. that is the complete opposite of a failure.

And when that half is inevitably revived it is a failure.

Silent Master
And when that half is inevitably revived it is a failure.

No it's not. his plan worked.

If I plan to build a car and then build it. then at some point later someone comes along and takes it apart. that doesn't mean I never built the car.

ares834
No it's not. his plan worked.

If I plan to build a car and then build it. then at some point later someone comes along and takes it apart. that doesn't mean I never built the car.

False analogy. His plan wasn't merely to kill half the universe but to kill half the universe in order "save it". With the half of the universe being revived his plan to save the universe falls apart.

Silent Master
No, his plan to kill half the universe worked. people being able to reverse it later doesn't mean his plan failed.

quanchi112

quanchi112

ares834
Luthor failed as well.

quanchi112

Flyattractor

quanchi112
Yeah. I am SURE You are Skippy.

Do you think Thanos's "Victory" will be "Permenant" after AVg:InfWar2? I am.

I think Thanos achieved his goal and won at the end of the film. Thanos is the biggest cinematic villain of all time. This film is killing it across the globe. MCU reigns supreme.

Flyattractor
Originally posted by quanchi112
I am.

I think Thanos achieved his goal and won at the end of the film. Thanos is the biggest cinematic villain of all time. This film is killing it across the globe. MCU reigns supreme.

So you THINK that The Events in this movie will be PERMANENT in the MCU AFTER the next AVG Movie?

They won't be Undone or anything?

quanchi112

Flyattractor
So the Next Movie won't be connected to this movie in any way then?

The MCU is going on Full DC Style Reboot?

This wasn't Part 1 of a 2 part story?

Is that what you are saying?

quanchi112
So the Next Movie won't be connected to this movie in any way then?

The MCU is going on Full DC Style Reboot?

This wasn't Part 1 of a 2 part story?

Is that what you are saying? I bet there will be other deaths in the next film you loser. You seem upset Thanos is better than Luthor who lost in one film.

Flyattractor
I bet there will be other deaths in the next film you loser. You seem upset Thanos is better than Luthor who lost in one film.

Probably will be, but you don't think like in the Org Inf Gauntlet story that this movie is very poorly based on, all of these "Deaths" wont be UNDONE in someway?

And like I have stated. I just saw this movie and I really didn't see Thanos Stratergieze all that much. He just kind of wandred around and picked up the stones.

With lots of Melodramatic Cheese thrown in.

Silent Master
Even if the heroes end up undoing 100% of his actions later. Thanos' actions are still >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Luthor's.

Flyattractor
In the movies (well the last 2 movies) sure.

Silent Master
Well, This is the movie forum and the thread is about movie characters.

Flyattractor
But there was already plenty of proof that WB and Zack Snyder are FLAMING MORONS!

NotAllThatEvil
They both technically achieved their plans. One ended up in jail the other had a magic axe thrown through his chest l. Between those two options, I think I'd rather go to jail

cdtm
Lex Luthor wins, with ease. Because he was up against Superman, who beats the MCU, with ease.

Silent Master
Originally posted by NotAllThatEvil
They both technically achieved their plans. One ended up in jail the other had a magic axe thrown through his chest l. Between those two options, I think I'd rather go to jail

You'd rather be in jail than be free and have a universal level weapon?

Odd choice.

Flyattractor
Yeah but how much fun will that be with a big magical axe in your chest? Probably not a big Chick Magnet that...

quanchi112

relentless1
Hey Quan, is Thanos' dick as rocky as his chin? How does that feel in your mouth? Asking for a friend

quanchi112
Originally posted by relentless1
Hey Quan, is Thanos' dick as rocky as his chin? How does that feel in your mouth? Asking for a friend You're just jelly. Thanos is the grandest villain in the history of cinema.

h1a8
Originally posted by NotAllThatEvil
Luthor. The only reason superman is alive is because his adopted mom shares the same name as Martha Wayne, plus technically superman was dead by the end of the film, so......

Great point!

Silent Master
Originally posted by h1a8
Great point!

How is that a great point?

Flyattractor

quanchi112
The Justice League weren't in the movie....

The JL are pitiful. Avengers would decimate them.

Flyattractor
Your Delusions are fun to watch.

quanchi112
Your Delusions are fun to watch. Dude, the flash was tripping over his own feet. They were a joke.

h1a8
How is that a great point?

Because Luthor would have won if it wasn't for that coincidence.

And his plan was far more elaborate while he was completely powerless.

quanchi112

And his plan was far more elaborate while he was completely powerless. He lost. We deal in facts not what ifs.

Flyattractor
Nice to know that there will be NO MORE MCU Movies made after this point to Negate Thano's "Victory".

quanchi112
Nice to know that there will be NO MORE MCU Movies made after this point to Negate Thano's "Victory". He prevailed you dope. He achieved his goal and the heroes failed. Luthor was locked up and is a massive failure. Luthor and the dceu have that in common.

Flyattractor
I just enjoy watching you so invest your self in to something so pointless.

Silent Master

And his plan was far more elaborate while he was completely powerless.

His plan was to get two people to fight each other by lying to them, that isn't elaborate. that you believe it was, says a lot about you.

Nevan
What was Luthor planning to do with Doomsday if Superman died?

wakkawakkawakka
Didn't Thanos loan out the Mind Gem to Loki and send Gamora and Rohan on Stone/milk runs in hopes of consolidating the stone? Also because that didn't work he ended up having to go get them himself?

Then again Lex's plan was terrible and so is he so Thanos wins by default.

TheVaultDweller
Lex's plan was retarded. That entire fight between Batman and Superman could have been avoided if, instead of menacingly approaching Bruce without clarifying his intent, Clark had just gone, "Lex is behind it. He kidnapped someone I care about in order to force me to fight you."

juggerman
IDK if that would have worked tho. Bruce was very intent on murder

TheVaultDweller
He stopped fighting at the mention of the word "Martha". Seriously, all Clark had to do was hover there, non-threateningly, explain the situation (could even drop his mom's name, as it wouldn't be out of place to do so either), and things could have gone way differently. But instead he chose to aggressively walk towards Bruce, who was already mistrustful of his intentions, without clarifying what Bruce "didn't understand". Basically, instead of acting like adults, they decided to act like high school jocks instead.

An idiotic plan doesn't become less idiotic simply because the people who fell for it acted even more idiotic.

juggerman
Bruce could clearly see Clark wasn't trying to fight. Had Supes wanted to, he could have lasered him from afar, or rushed him as full speed and pulverized his insides(GAYYYYY) and Bruce knew this. He was well aware of what he was capable of. Not to mention the whole "stand down" comment showing he didn't want to do the whole fisty cuffs.

I agree Clark could have approached it WAYYYYYYY differently but perhaps that can be chalked up to his duress. Bruce OTOH was dead set on straight up cold blooded murder. Who knows if Martha would have snapped him out of his rage at that point

Bentley
His plan was to get two people to fight each other by lying to them, that isn't elaborate. that you believe it was, says a lot about you.

A simple plan that works is being a good strategist though. Why pull off an elaborate plan when a single one does the trick?

You just raised Luthor's stock.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by juggerman
Bruce could clearly see Clark wasn't trying to fight. Had Supes wanted to, he could have lasered him from afar, or rushed him as full speed and pulverized his insides(GAYYYYY) and Bruce knew this. He was well aware of what he was capable of. Not to mention the whole "stand down" comment showing he didn't want to do the whole fisty cuffs.

I agree Clark could have approached it WAYYYYYYY differently but perhaps that can be chalked up to his duress. Bruce OTOH was dead set on straight up cold blooded murder. Who knows if Martha would have snapped him out of his rage at that point

The point is that a different approach could have lead to a vastly different result. The way Clark chose to approach him basically guaranteed that Batman, given his mindset at the time, would attack him. And that's ignoring all the other retarded shit that lead up to that moment. The premise of their fight was so flimsy that they had to release an extended cut with more footage, just to try and do damage control. And the name stopped him at the point of murdering Clark, so don't see why it wouldn't have had an impact before that moment.

And this is all made 10 times worse by Batman's complete heel turn in the next film, literally doing a complete 180 from going "if there is a small chance he is bad, we need to kill him" to "if there is even a small chance we can get him back, we need to risk it".

juggerman
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
The point is that a different approach could have lead to a vastly different result. The way Clark chose to approach him basically guaranteed that Batman, given his mindset at the time, would attack him. And that's ignoring all the other retarded shit that lead up to that moment. The premise of their fight was so flimsy that they had to release an extended cut with more footage, just to try and do damage control. And the name stopped him at the point of murdering Clark, so don't see why it wouldn't have had an impact before that moment.

And this is all made 10 times worse by Batman's complete heel turn in the next film, literally doing a complete 180 from going "if there is a small chance he is bad, we need to kill him" to "if there is even a small chance we can get him back, we need to risk it".

I agree that a different approach may have resulted in a different result but Clark also didn't know Batman's mindset. He didn't know Bruce had been planning his murderous rampage for months. He knew he was angry but that's really it. And the reason why it might not have worked there as it did later is that Bruce had won, in his mind it was over. All the training, all the planning had brought him his victory. At that moment he wasn't as "driven" imo because he had done it. You have a completely different mindset before a fight than immediately following one.

I think a "heel turn" is when you go from a good guy to a bad guy. Bruce would have made a "face turn". Or maybe you meant he turned on his heels?

TheVaultDweller
I agree that a different approach may have resulted in a different result but Clark also didn't know Batman's mindset. He didn't know Bruce had been planning his murderous rampage for months. He knew he was angry but that's really it. And the reason why it might not have worked there as it did later is that Bruce had won, in his mind it was over. All the training, all the planning had brought him his victory. At that moment he wasn't as "driven" imo because he had done it. You have a completely different mindset before a fight than immediately following one.

Well, will have to agree to disagree there. Because I think that whole situation could have been handled in a WAY better fashion, and that both those guys acted extremely stupidly throughout the movie, which is the only reason Lex's plan worked IMO.

I think a "heel turn" is when you go from a good guy to a bad guy. Bruce would have made a "face turn". Or maybe you meant he turned on his heels?

No, I mean it in a negative way. Though maybe heel turn isn't the best phrase. Because, IMO, he went from bad to worse. Because not only is the stance just as retarded in its extremeness as the previous one, it's also massively hypocritical in light of it. Sure, it worked out in the end. But for all he knew, they could have ended up with Doomsday 2.0.

juggerman
Well, will have to agree to disagree there. Because I think that whole situation could have been handled in a WAY better fashion, and that both those guys acted extremely stupidly throughout the movie, which is the only reason Lex's plan worked IMO.

No we agree that it could have been handled better by both parties. I'm just not sure that "Martha" would have changed anything in the beginning of the fight. Batman wasn't really in a listening mood

No, I mean it in a negative way. Though maybe heel turn isn't the best phrase. Because, IMO, he went from bad to worse. Because not only is the stance just as retarded in its extremeness as the previous one, it's also massively hypocritical in light of it. Sure, it worked out in the end. But for all he knew, they could have ended up with Doomsday 2.0.

Gotcha

Silent Master
Originally posted by Bentley
A simple plan that works is being a good strategist though. Why pull off an elaborate plan when a single one does the trick?

You just raised Luthor's stock.

His simple plan ended with him being in jail, Thanos' plan ended with him winning and in possession of a universal level weapon.

How does that raise Luthor's stock?

Bentley
His simple plan ended with him being in jail, Thanos' plan ended with him winning and in possession of a universal level weapon.

How does that raise Luthor's stock?

Simple plan only failed because of a tall coincidence. Thanos has been honing his complex scheme for years and got a huge number of enemies on doing so.

We are talking about overall strategy, results can vary on unpredictability ... And Thanos only added to that factor. He got lucky.

TheVaultDweller
No we agree that it could have been handled better by both parties. I'm just not sure that "Martha" would have changed anything in the beginning of the fight. Batman wasn't really in a listening mood

Fair enough.

Silent Master
Originally posted by Bentley
Simple plan only failed because of a tall coincidence. Thanos has been honing his complex scheme for years and got a huge number of enemies on doing so.

We are talking about overall strategy, results can vary on unpredictability ... And Thanos only added to that factor. He got lucky.

Which would you rather happen, 1) go to jail or 2) Get away with it?

quanchi112

quanchi112

cdtm
The JL are pitiful. Avengers would decimate them.

Superman left the JL?

quanchi112

Flyattractor
I love the smell of Comic Book Nerd Bias Burning in the mid evening.

quanchi112
I love the smell of Comic Book Nerd Bias Burning in the mid evening. Its a fact the dceu is a massive failure. Quit being upset.

Bentley

h1a8
Actually that 1 in 14000605 was stupid by the writer's.
There are countless ways to for them to win.

Strange could reverse time and stop Quill from interfering. Or stop Gamora's sister from talking to Quill, etc.

The taking the glove off scene makes the statement stupid.

juggerman
I think that whole scene with 14,000,605 scenarios was meant to show that even taking the glove off wouldn't have stopped him. Even without it, they likely couldn't have killed him which means he would have eventually gotten it again.

My theory is that taking the IG off would have actually gotten them all killed. None of them could likely contain all that power so just holding it likely would have killed anyone of them and if the IG hit the ground, then bye bye planet thanks to the power stone

h1a8
Let's assume that Clark's and Bruce's mom didn't share a common name.
Then it is easy to that Luthor would have won.

If Luthor was in Thanos body and had his ability to fight and use the gems then he too could have pulled it off.

I'm not sure if Thanos was in Luthor's body could have pulled it off (Luthor's plan).

quanchi112

Silent Master
Then it is easy to that Luthor would have won.

If Luthor was in Thanos body and had his ability to fight and use the gems then he too could have pulled it off.

I'm not sure if Thanos was in Luthor's body could have pulled it off (Luthor's plan).

Luthor's plan was to get two people to fight each other by lying to them, elementary school girls successfully pull that plan off almost everyday and you think Thanos would fail?

Inhuman
I think that whole scene with 14,000,605 scenarios was meant to show that even taking the glove off wouldn't have stopped him. Even without it, they likely couldn't have killed him which means he would have eventually gotten it again.

My theory is that taking the IG off would have actually gotten them all killed. None of them could likely contain all that power so just holding it likely would have killed anyone of them and if the IG hit the ground, then bye bye planet thanks to the power stone

Correct

h1a8
Luthor's plan was to get two people to fight each other by lying to them, elementary school girls successfully pull that plan off almost everyday and you think Thanos would fail? It's very difficult to get Bruce to do anything like that. He's far smarter than the average person. Even Superman is above the average person.

Silent Master
Did you even watch the movie? It was exceedingly easy to get them to fight each other.

relentless1
Did you even watch the movie? It was exceedingly easy to get them to fight each other.

clearly you didn't watch BvS cuz if you did you'd know that Luthor completed his objective of killing Superman....

Silent Master
Originally posted by relentless1
clearly you didn't watch BvS cuz if you did you'd know that Luthor completed his objective of killing Superman....

Perhaps you should watch bvs, because Luthor's first plan to kill Superman failed. That's why he had to go with his back-up plan, IE Doomsday.

relentless1
so basically a guy with a plan and a back up plan is shit at planning.... i dunno where youre from but having a "plan b" is always a smart policy lol im not sure what point youre trying to make but you've failed miserably, if anything you've illustrated that Luthor is good at strategy... Luthor still got what he wanted, Superman died end of story.

Silent Master
A guy whose main plan failed and who's backup plan was retarded doesn't win a contest of who is the better strategist.

BruceSkywalker
luthor sucked...

thanos knew what he wanted and accomplished what he set out to do

relentless1
Im not taking anything away from Thanos he accomplished his goal in a much better fashion than Luthor... but dont go being ignorant and say that Lex isn't at least a competent strategist within the context of his film because he did complete his objective which is more than I can say for 90% of movie villains

Silent Master
His first plan failed and his backup plan was retarded. the fact that his retarded plan worked, doesn't change the fact that it was retarded.

Eon Blue

This. Thanos is superior in every way, shape and form.

Flyattractor
But Thanos (in the movies) Never really Had a Tactical Plan. He just said GO Find the Stones. That isn't really a Plan ! Unless you think you are forming a battle plan when you play Fetch with your dog...

Eon Blue

h1a8

quanchi112

Silent Master
Luthor is the one that faced the grade school level problem and his first plan failed and his second plan was retarded.

h1a8
Luthor is the one that faced the grade school level problem and his first plan failed and his second plan was retarded. Getting Superman and Batman to fight to the death is not a grade school problem, especially when neither kills in cold blood.

Silent Master
Getting Superman and Batman to fight to the death is not a grade school problem, especially when neither kills in cold blood.

Sure it was. all it took was a few lies that could have been easily disproven if DCEU Batman wasn't a borderline psychopath.

h1a8

Silent Master

Eon Blue
Getting Superman and Batman to fight to the death is not a grade school problem, especially when neither kills in cold blood.

That is a ridiculous statement since the DCEU Batman CLEARLY kills in cold blood. What part of the narrative did you not understand?

Bentley

h1a8
What was so special about the lies that no average human could have thought of them? Nothing since we now know what they are.

Do an experiment. Pick a smart person who never seen the movie. Ask them, "If you were Lex Luthor, how would you get Batman and Superman to fight to the death?"

Let's see how easy it is to think of these lies and implement them the way Luthor did, in the time frames that he did.

Originally posted by Eon Blue
That is a ridiculous statement since the DCEU Batman CLEARLY kills in cold blood. What part of the narrative did you not understand?
He doesn't. He kills in self defense only.
You have to be trying to kill him.

Silent Master
Thank you for admitting you were wrong

quanchi112

The Spectre+
eek! shifty What the f**k? @quan did you just mention "BIG BOYS"??!!!!

quanchi112

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.