Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Arachnid1
The live reveal event just ended. Setting isn't much of a surprise since it leaked months ago. Anyway, this one is by the Black Flag and Origins team (IMO the best AC games). I'm looking forward to it. We're going to get the trailer tomorrow.

https://i.imgur.com/xS4j937.png

-Pr-
Trailer is supposed to drop today, isn't it?

As unlikely as it would be, I'm really hoping it's less focused on rpg elements and that the combat is a bit different. But we'll see.

Smasandian
I'm different, my favourite game of the series is Odyssey.

I enjoy the RPG elements and I think it makes the series much better. It gives you a reason to run around the map and do activities.

Combat will probably change a bit but Origins/Odyssey are the best games in the series and one of the reason is its super easy to move around. The previous AC games are anything but (flashbacks of trying to sneak around and falling to your death)

-Pr-
I liked Origins (bar the combat), but I felt like Odyssey was a legitimate step backwards in quality.

Also, how dare you. laughing out loud

Khazra Reborn

Smasandian
Originally posted by -Pr-
I liked Origins (bar the combat), but I felt like Odyssey was a legitimate step backwards in quality.

Also, how dare you. laughing out loud

I will dare so!

Origins was very good step forward and being in Egypt was awesome.
But for me, there was something missing because I got less thrilled on playing it once I got further into it.

For Odyssey, I didn't feel this. I did pretty much every mission available to me and upgrade 99% of my gear. I believe it was the RPG elements that really made the game fun as hell for me. I also enjoyed the upgrade system (or the abilities you got) more in Odyssey.

I would be happy if Valhalla removed the RPG elements and made more interesting missions. Follow the same path as Witcher 3 in regard to making excellent quests you can complete. If they removed RPG but still made mission generics as hell, that is not exciting at all.

Arachnid1
L0Fr3cS3MtY

Badass cinematic trailer. AC always does well with these.

Smasandian
So it's basically a combination of The Last Kingdom/Viking shows. It's an interesting era and hasn't really been explored that much...could be cool to see England in mid 800's.

I don't think climbing will be a major aspect to this game...not a lot of tall buildings! I guess AC3 was in the same situation.

Khazra Reborn
Looks dope, need to see some game play though.

Smasandian
I believe gameplay will be shown May 7th on the Xbox Series X stream. A stream that will be showing gameplay of Series X for various devleopers/publishers.

ares834
These games aren't even about Assassins and stealth anymore.

It's kinda funny seeing Alfred being portrayed as the villain in this conflict. How dare he try to repel a foreign invasion!

Smasandian
That is not true at all.

And the "stealth" in the original games was a pile of shit. Oh look, I can "blend in" but cannot crouch behind a wall. Or consists of climbing a building and hoping nobody is up there.

BruceSkywalker
looks good.. can't wait to delve in for 80 hours and solve everything..

can't wait for blood, guts and violence

ares834
Originally posted by Smasandian
That is not true at all.

And the "stealth" in the original games was a pile of shit. Oh look, I can "blend in" but cannot crouch behind a wall. Or consists of climbing a building and hoping nobody is up there.

Sure it is. Odyssey, while fun, was basically Witcher-lite. It was almost a pure action game.

Smasandian
I agree that Oydssey took elements from Witcher 3...and that's a good thing but it wasn't a pure action game.

You can play it as a action game if you like but you can easily complete most objectives using stealth. I know because I did. It had the same amount of stealth gameplay as every other single Assassins Creed game out there. Hell, every enemy camp could be taken down silently and with a good array of stealth abilities.

Arachnid1
Odyssey is insanely shit when it comes to stealth, but it's problems extended well beyond that. Most of the time you will not be able to assassinate targets with a stealthy stab (it usually works on the weaker mob enemies, but even that is spotty depending on the level of the region; level gating everywhere). Even with the fully upgraded critical assassination skill. brb walk up behind an unaware target and stab them in the neck with a critical only for them to lose a third of their health and turn around to fight you and now you have to wack away at them for 5 minutes. Sure. the older games had pretty shit stealth too, but at least stealth was still always the focus and you could always OHK your target.

They included sailing but it is nowhere near as expanded or fun as it is in AC4 (which had different weather effects and insanely turbulent waves to battle in). It's mostly just going from destination to destination while nothing happens. Ship combat is basic and easy, and the waves are for the most part pretty flat. Nothing epic or standout here.

The main character is the worst in the series. Alexios/Kassandra is super unmemorable (meanwhile, Bayek from Origins is one of the best leads in the series with Edward and Ezio). They introduced a choice system with dialogue and story, but it's pretty basic (be a goody two shoes, a dick, or a greedy merc looking for money). This ended up making the main character feel like they have no real personality and it kills attachment which is important in a 100hr+ game. The few choices that affect the story just served to neuter the ending and make it feel unfulfilling (I got the best ending because I made all the good choices, but then everything just ends hunky dory with no consequences and you almost literally sail into the sunset tf). There are technically three endings to three concurrent main stories, and EVERY SINGLE ONE fell flat. They also tried to copy the sidequest design Witcher 3 used, but it didn't work because the writing/dialogue was usually pretty stupid (the entire game is light hearted and trying to be funny, so everyone just plays a greek caricature and says dumb chit; this game isn't a wart on Witcher 3s @ss srs). Quest design also just feels padded out. Kill this person, gather these plants, fetch this document, kill 6 wolves, explore 20 caves, (etc...). This applies to main story and the side missions (though I will say the DLCs were actually pretty fun; better than the main game anyway).

The world is huge, but most if it is empty, copy pasted, and looks the same. Origins was amazing to explore because of the care that went into the unique destinations and aesthetic. Odyssey is mostly flat and boring buildings. Even the bigger buildings that are supposed to blow us away look the same. Wow! I just found the 10th Temple of Zeus with columns (imagine if they copied and pasted the pyramids in Origins around the entire map 30 fkn times).

Arachnid1
L_nb_YECQoQ&feature=emb_logo

Here's a breakdown of the trailer from the creative and narrative directors. These guys are a pretty big deal in the franchise. The narrative director wrote the story for Black Flag and Revelations (the two best stories in the series with the two best endings), and the creative director made Black Flag and Origins (which are the best games in the series; especially when it comes to exploration, aesthetic, and world design IMO). Both of them have a stellar track record when it comes to AC, and this is the first time they've been united since Black Flag.

Also, here is an insane info dump on the game from reddit:

NemeBro
Originally posted by ares834
These games aren't even about Assassins and stealth anymore.

It's kinda funny seeing Alfred being portrayed as the villain in this conflict. How dare he try to repel a foreign invasion! The whitewashing of the vikings was hilarious. I laughed when that noble viking heroically pillaging a village spared the woman and child out of the stalwart goodness of his raiding heart.

Arachnid1
Originally posted by NemeBro
The whitewashing of the vikings was hilarious. I laughed when that noble viking heroically pillaging a village spared the woman and child out of the stalwart goodness of his raiding heart. His buddy was about to murder them both. The one who stopped it is the main character. Dude has a hidden blade, so I'm assuming he's already part of the assassins and abides the Creed's tenets (in which case, he would definitely spare the woman and child).

KingD19
Yeah Eivor is already seemingly an assassin from the beginning, and this is well after Odyssey and Origins, so the Creed and its tenants reinvented by Bayek and the Hidden Ones have already been established for several centuries at this point.

Arachnid1
ach9vZJyF24&feature=emb_logo

-Pr-
I was told there would be gameplay. There was ****-all gameplay. I was disappointed.

Smasandian
Yeah, it was disingenuous to say this was gameplay. It would of been OK if they just said in-engine trailer (I assume most of the scenes shown were in-game cinematic you will see while playing the game)

Overall, the show was OK. I assume any major franchise/publisher/developer upcoming games are going to be shown by specific streams. It was nice to see some other smaller named studios have a chance to show some stuff.

-Pr-
Wbx0_9QPRR0

Some proper gameplay. Not enough to sell me, but it doesn't look bad either.

BackFire

Arachnid1
I'll play it eventually, but it comes out too close to Cyberpunk. I'm going to platinum the living hell out of that game before I move on to anything else.

KingD19

jaden_2.0
After the truly tremendous combat mechanics of Ghost of Tsushima, this is feeling extremely clunky.

Even in comparison to Origins it feels like a step backwards so far although I'm only really at the opening sections. Hopefully it will improve.

Smasandian
It's more Witcher 3 than previous games.

It took me awhile (still in Norway) to realize there is no loot system and that it's about upgrading weapons that you currently have.

It's Assassins Creed and it's fun. I enjoy the small little world events that don't take too much time. And the dice game that is in the game is not that bad...it's no GWENT but it does have the same gameplay mechanics of winning "cards" after defeating somebody. The flyting mini game is also kind of neat and a good way to increase charisma.

ares834
https://www.pcgamer.com/amp/ubisoft-apologizes-for-ableist-language-in-assassins-creed-valhalla/

Daily reminder that we live in clown world.

Trocity
Originally posted by ares834
https://www.pcgamer.com/amp/ubisoft-apologizes-for-ableist-language-in-assassins-creed-valhalla/

Daily reminder that we live in clown world.

LMAO!

When I read that it was a person named "Courtney Craven" that complained about it I told my gf "Bet I can guess almost EXACTLY what she looks like"....... loooooool.

Not far off. Amazing, but also sad.

Smasandian
Probably put 20+ hours so far.

I'm enjoying it. It's like a cross between older Assassins Creed, Witcher 3 and strangely enough, Elder Scroll games.

If you set it to Pathfinder, the game only shows the blue/gold/white dots on the map (and only a few of them)...and during the course of exploring...other icons show up...very similar to how Skyrim works.

You can spend hours just walking through the map and seeing new icons...it's a good addition.

I enjoy the World Events (blue icons)...they are simple little stories that can be completed quite quickly but they seem to all unique. Gold icons are treasure, either carbon ingots or gear.....and are usually hidden in a simple puzzle or inside a large fort/area with enemies.

And raiding is pretty cool. Overall, I like it. It's different enough from Odyssey but I'm still not sure if I like the lack of randomized loot.

On the Series X, it's 4k/60 FPS...and while Norway strangely enough didn't look that great....England is gorgeous...there is mission where you need to find some people in a marsh with shit loads of fog...I find it next gen...

BackFire
Sounds pretty good.

Smasandian
Yeah, I find it fun.

I like how the series has gone away from the icon-fest it is and has made interesting side activities. Or at least, I find them interesting.

The gameplay mechanics themselves are still top notch. Climbing, assassinating and combat are still good. Hell..even the game allows you to turn on Instant Assassinations if that's what you want. There is separate multiple difficulty levels for combat and stealth so you can cater the game to what you want.

jaden_2.0
Well I platinum'd this tonight. Between the last 3 AC games there's a truly great game but each of them had big flaws individually.

Origins had a very good protagonist, a great setting, good revenge story and ok npc characters. Not much in the way of side quest variation.

Odyssey had a phenomenal setting, great npc characters but a poor story and God awful protagonists. More variation in side quests between land and ship battles and helping out the Spartans or Athenians plus the whole Atlantis and mythical creatures stuff

Valhalla had a terrible main setting in England and it feels like the other places were thrown in to make up for how samey England is from top to bottom. Eivor is a decent protagonist and there's a small handful of likeable and interesting NPCs but too many cookie cutter generic NPCs overwhelming them. I did enjoy the 2 main side quests of the daughters of Lerion and the Britannia treasures if only for the weapons you get at the end (Mjolnir and Excalibur)but neither of them had the size and depth of the Atlantis story in Odyssey. I liked the settlement building more than in AC 3.

**** the fishing though.

Smasandian
Still playing the game....I have gone through most of the areas and taken most of the wealth and mysteries. Still not close on finishing but I am making my way through it.

I enjoyed how the game is setup....I felt like I explored the area alot more in the this game than I did in Origins and Odyssey. I enjoyed the mysteries that give you and how small they are....its neat to go to something, see something neat or cool and then be on your way.

I am enjoying being Eivor, I think is a very good character...and I don't mind some of the other NPC's you come across. I also enjoy on how the story is setup after a few hours into it...

Does have flaws...not really keen on the loot system, I would rather have the loot system from the previous games. The bow is annoying when you can't change it on the fly...I only used one bow type the majority of the game and used the other two during boss fights.

I also felt they missed a massive opportunity with the other two areas you explore and turn it into a more linear experience to change it up. It was just a bit too much padding in those areas...when it could of been a much more thrilling experience.

Still playing it...probably prefer Odyssey more but I am still enjoying a lot of it. These three games are a huge step in the right direction for the series. I have no idea what time period they are going to be able to do next.

Superdad76
big beards big vkings

should i buy it ?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.