Adonis Creed vs. Clubber Lang

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

deft
Adonis Creed vs. Clubber Lang

Both characters at his peak.

Who wins?

KingD19
I'll actually give it to Donnie. He's taken down multiple world champions and fought in light heavyweight and heavyweight classes. And studying under Rocky, he has more than likely studied film on Lang.

More importantly though, Lang only beat Rocky because he fought him at his lowest(hadn't been training well, Mick had a heart attack, etc...). Then he fell victim to Rocky in the rematch because he learned a new style from Apollo Creed based on speed, which Adonis is possibly even faster than his dad and has a decent amount of power to go with it.

And even worse for Clubber, he had no stamina and Rocky took him down in the 3rd round because he gassed himself trying to land hits. Donnie went up a weight class to Heavyweight, and when he beat Viktor Drago, he did so by outlasting him because he never had to go past 4 rounds.

Also he's just a better boxer imo.

riv6672
Originally posted by KingD19
I'll actually give it to Donnie. He's taken down multiple world champions and fought in light heavyweight and heavyweight classes. And studying under Rocky, he has more than likely studied film on Lang.

More importantly though, Lang only beat Rocky because he fought him at his lowest(hadn't been training well, Mick had a heart attack, etc...). Then he fell victim to Rocky in the rematch because he learned a new style from Apollo Creed based on speed, which Adonis is possibly even faster than his dad and has a decent amount of power to go with it.

And even worse for Clubber, he had no stamina and Rocky took him down in the 3rd round because he gassed himself trying to land hits. Donnie went up a weight class to Heavyweight, and when he beat Viktor Drago, he did so by outlasting him because he never had to go past 4 rounds.

Also he's just a better boxer imo.
Nicely put.

ShadowFyre
I have yet to see either Creed. King's post makes me wanna change that.

SquallX

KingD19
They're both awesome films. They really show not only great boxing, but good acting, good story, and tons of chemistry between the cast. Even though you're rooting for Adonis, the movies make it clear he's a person with issues and flaws and not some unbeatable uber boxer. You should watch the sequel, Squall. It's great.

I just hope if a third gets made, they don't try to find yet another son of an original Rocky fighter for him to fight. It'd get stale at that point.

riv6672
Youre so right!

It worked hella well for part two though. Seeing Rocky/Drago deal w. the memories of their original encounter, and their sons, spiritual and blood, carry on that legacy of pain...good stuff!

KingD19
Originally posted by riv6672
Youre so right!

It worked hella well for part two though. Seeing Rocky/Drago deal w. the memories of their original encounter, and their sons, spiritual and blood, carry on that legacy of pain...good stuff!

Indeed. You also saw Ivan realize the fear and anxiety Apollo's camp and family felt when he killed him towards the end of the sons championship fight, since before the fight with Donnie he straight up tells Rocky that Viktor will break him, then he tells Viktor directly to break Adonis.

riv6672
Yeah that was low key, intense and well acted really.

juggerman
I'm a big Clubber fan so take this with a gain of salt but the villains in Rocky III and IV were cartoon characters. Even Rocky himself was one in IV. Everyone else in the series was more grounded in reality. So I think Adonis is clearly the better boxer but he would lose to Clubber's inhuman characteristics

KingD19
Except Clubber gassed himself out against a Rocky who was nowhere near as fast as Donnie in only 3 rounds. Rocky even got training from Apollo on how to move quicker and stuff. Donnie gassed out and out fought Viktor who'd been trained by his dad all his life in 4 rounds. So he has more stamina, better speed and technique, and is just all around better.

juggerman
Great point. But Clubber only got gassed after Rocky started baiting him. I agree that Donnie could try the same tactic but IDK if her could take Clubber's blows. Rocky, who had legendary damage soak, couldn't stand toe to toe with Lang. I see Adonis getting KO'd by a few hits.

I don't think Drago Jr. came close to his father or Lang in power as they were much more outlandish in their portrayals and the Creed films were more grounded. Lil Drago would've been curbed too imo

KingD19
He didn't train properly for his original fight with Clubber though.

(I said this earlier)
More importantly though, Lang only beat Rocky because he fought him at his lowest(hadn't been training well, Mick had a heart attack, etc...). Then he fell victim to Rocky in the rematch because he learned a new style from Apollo Creed based on speed, which Adonis is possibly even faster than his dad and has a decent amount of power to go with it. (Donnie only ever won with KO's and knockdowns)

If Clubber couldn't land hits on Rocky, it'll be even harder to land hits on Adonis who is probably the fastest guy in any of the movies. And Viktor had plenty of power as no one had ever made it to 4 rounds with him before, thats why his stamina was so bad. He didn't need to train for long fights because nobody could hang long enough for it to matter.

h1a8
Adonis has to do the same strategy Rocky did in order to win.
Adonis durability is significantly lower than Rocky's or Lang's. Rocky hit Lang multiple times with 0 effect. Lang was only effected after he was extremely tired.
Lang hits hard as hell too. Adonis will definitely land more blows but once Lang hits Adonis then it will go downhill from there.

juggerman
Originally posted by KingD19
He didn't train properly for his original fight with Clubber though.

(I said this earlier)
More importantly though, Lang only beat Rocky because he fought him at his lowest(hadn't been training well, Mick had a heart attack, etc...). Then he fell victim to Rocky in the rematch because he learned a new style from Apollo Creed based on speed, which Adonis is possibly even faster than his dad and has a decent amount of power to go with it. (Donnie only ever won with KO's and knockdowns)

If Clubber couldn't land hits on Rocky, it'll be even harder to land hits on Adonis who is probably the fastest guy in any of the movies. And Viktor had plenty of power as no one had ever made it to 4 rounds with him before, thats why his stamina was so bad. He didn't need to train for long fights because nobody could hang long enough for it to matter.

Well I was specifically referring to their second fight in Rocky III. Watch the fight and ask yourself what would happen if this happened irl. In round 1, Lang used no defense and took dozens of clean punches to his grill with seemingly zero effect. Imagine a professional boxer landing that many clean jabs and crosses on a man's face. Lang's damage soak was ridiculously inhuman. He was pissed but unhurt after all that. Even Captin America doesn't pull that no selling shit. Lang is a cartoon.

Then round 2 started and Lang ran out just to take the same shots to no effect. Then he FINALLY gets some offense and he begins to completely wreck Rocky. With just a few hits he completely kills everything Rocky did so far and nearly KOs him. Rocky's legendary durability goes to shit under Lang's short assault. It's so bad that Rocky has to completely change strategies on the fly. He would absolutely land shots on Adonis like he did Rocky and they would do more damage as Adonis is human and isn't an 80s action hero like Rocky.

Now we know how it ends. Rocky rope a dopes him and tires Lang out. Rocky goes punch for punch with everyone else in the series. The only guy he NEEDS to outsmart and outbox is Lang. Now you could argue that Adonis could've watched the fight and knows how to stop Lang, then yes he would easily beat him. But swap Adonis with Rocky in III and he would be crushed by Lang. I pity the fool

NotAllThatEvil
Doesn't donnie typically have rocky in his corner to give him strategies and advice? Creed has almost every advantage here

riv6672
^^^Clubber was a lone wolf. He liked it that way.

John Murdoch
Loved Creed, probably my favorite film of the Rocky franchise. For some reason - similar to Squall statement - I haven't seen Creed II. Reading this thread and doing some research on the movie, that'll change soon. I did spoil myself though: I didn't know Milo Ventimiglia returned as Rocky's son. Very cool move promoting the series' continuity IMO

juggerman
Originally posted by NotAllThatEvil
Doesn't donnie typically have rocky in his corner to give him strategies and advice? Creed has almost every advantage here

With knowledge of Clubber, I think most people agree Adonis would win. I'm starting to have a hard time thinking that though as I'm not sure he would survive long enough to tire Lang out. Admittedly I'm a Lang fan but I'm trying to be as fair as I can

Jmanghan
Adonis would beat the dogshit out of Clubber, so would Rocky IV from Rocky IV.

HulkIsHulk
Originally posted by juggerman
With knowledge of Clubber, I think most people agree Adonis would win. I'm starting to have a hard time thinking that though as I'm not sure he would survive long enough to tire Lang out. Admittedly I'm a Lang fan but I'm trying to be as fair as I can

Why not? Adonis doesn't lead with his head like Rocky did and faced a far more skilled version of Lang in Victor

juggerman
Originally posted by HulkIsHulk
Why not? Adonis doesn't lead with his head like Rocky did and faced a far more skilled version of Lang in Victor

Because Rocky wasn't leading with his head during their second fight either. He moved and dodged much like Adonis and Apollo do. That was the point of Apollo training him for the fight. Halfway through round two Lang finally caught him. I think it's likely he would catch Adonis too and unfortunately Adonis can't rely on Rocky's durability to save him like Rocky did. Rocky scored DOZENS of clean punches straight to Lang's face and Lang was perfectly fine. Not even a mark was left. That's superhuman level shit. He could just as easily eat Adonis' punches until he's able to land his own. Once that happen's, game over man. Game over

juggerman
Originally posted by Jmanghan
1. Adonis would beat the dogshit out of Clubber, 2. so would Rocky IV from Rocky IV.

1. It's a possibility if he implements the Rocky III strategy

2. It's a certainty if he implements the Rocky III strategy

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.