Why are leftists so unhappy?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BrolyBlack
Always complaining, never happy with anything

Artol
A Progressive mindset supposes that there is something wrong with the current time that could be improved. Seeing such problems can perhaps make someone unhappy, although I don't think leftists or even liberals are generally unhappy people. Of course when the opposing party is in power you may be unhappy about the direction of politics, I would say that was similar under Obama with right wingers though. Another factor is that perhaps unhappy people are more drawn to leftists politics that promise to change things, rather than leftist politics having made them unhappy.

Silent Master
"Leftisfs" have been protesting/rioting in Portland for around 50 days now. What are they trying to improve?

Artol

Surtur
Originally posted by Artol
A Progressive mindset supposes that there is something wrong with the current time that could be improved. Seeing such problems can perhaps make someone unhappy, although I don't think leftists or even liberals are generally unhappy people. Of course when the opposing party is in power you may be unhappy about the direction of politics, I would say that was similar under Obama with right wingers though. Another factor is that perhaps unhappy people are more drawn to leftists politics that promise to change things, rather than leftist politics having made them unhappy.

The right didn't seem in a perpetual state of being offended and outraged under Obama though, at least not to the degree we are seeing from the left now.

It seems exhausting and I wonder if at times they just get mad cuz they feel that's how they are expected to react.

Look at this Goya boycott, some melted down and yes it was funny, but their hearts just do not seem in it. I wonder how many truly stopped buying Goya products or if they just put out the hashtag. I also wonder how many who said they would never buy Goya again actually used to buy it in the first place.

Artol
Originally posted by Surtur
The right didn't seem in a perpetual state of being offended and outraged under Obama though, at least not to the degree we are seeing from the left now.

It seems exhausting and I wonder if at times they just get mad cuz they feel that's how they are expected to react.

Look at this Goya boycott, some melted down and yes it was funny, but their hearts just do not seem in it. I wonder how many truly stopped buying Goya products or if they just put out the hashtag. I also wonder how many who said they would never buy Goya again actually used to buy it in the first place.

It didn't to you? It did to me certainly. There were so many stupid controversies, theories of cultural marxist take overs, it was tiresome, very similar to the behaviors of #resist people in terms of Trump now, imo.

Surtur
Yeah there was dumb shit like the clothes he wore or the food he ate. That is true.

Yet if Obama had referred to MS-13 members as animals I don't think right wingers would have lost their shit over it.

Artol
Yeah there was dumb shit like the clothes he wore or the food he ate. That is true.

Yet if Obama had referred to MS-13 members as animals I don't think right wingers would have lost their shit over it.

Not if he had called MS-13 that, but if he'd called Ammon Bundy and others in the "Patriot Movement" that however I think they would have.

Surtur
Not if he had called MS-13 that, but if he'd called Ammon Bundy and others in the "Patriot Movement" that however I think they would have.

Maybe, but then I don't find that comparable at all cuz it's still not a meltdown over murderers and rapists. I could be wrong, but I don't think the Bundy's killed anyone. In fact, didn't one of the cops kill one of them?

Now imagine the reaction if someone in CHOP had been killed by a cop while resisting arrest.

Surtur
In fact wait a minute, I don't remember any epic meltdowns over that cop killing one of the Bundy's.

Maybe I'm forgetting and conservatives did loot and burn in response.

Artol
Maybe, but then I don't find that comparable at all cuz it's still not a meltdown over murderers and rapists. I could be wrong, but I don't think the Bundy's killed anyone. In fact, didn't one of the cops kill one of them?

Now imagine the reaction if someone in CHOP had been killed by a cop while resisting arrest.

I don't think so, but there were people loosely affiliated with the Bundy protest that killed two police officers.

Silent Master

Surtur
I don't think so, but there were people loosely affiliated with the Bundy protest that killed two police officers.

Okay I checked, it wasn't a member of the Bundy family, but it was someone involved with the movement and the occupation of the building.

I do not recall conservatives melting down and taking to the streets to burn and loot and go after law enforcement.

Do you think the left would have such a restrained response if a cop had killed someone in CHOP?

Artol
Originally posted by Silent Master
I notice that you didn't address all the rioting, what are they trying to improve by rioting?

I think the goals are mainly the same. Perhaps with an added element of radicals who revel in the chaos and aggression that comes with rioting.

Silent Master
It didn't to you? It did to me certainly. There were so many stupid controversies, theories of cultural marxist take overs, it was tiresome, very similar to the behaviors of #resist people in terms of Trump now, imo.

Really? feel free to post all the month long protests/riots right-wing people took part in under Obama?

Silent Master
I think the goals are mainly the same. Perhaps with an added element of radicals who revel in the chaos and aggression that comes with rioting.

How does rioting improve all the issues you mentioned?

Artol
Okay I checked, it wasn't a member of the Bundy family, but it was someone involved with the movement and the occupation of the building.

I do not recall conservatives melting down and taking to the streets to burn and loot and go after law enforcement.

Do you think the left would have such a restrained response if a cop had killed someone in CHOP?

I think the left and right have somewhat different problems when it comes to radicalism among their midst. The right is much more likely to have lone wolf (stochastic terrorism) kind of attacks, while the left is more likely to protest and riot. I think there's probably many reasons for that, we could think of.

Artol
How does rioting improve all the issues you mentioned?

I don't know if it will. But historically rioting certainly can lead to political changes that may be in the interest of the rioters. Rioting is a way of amplifying your power and making it more costly to deny your demands, this may lead to more repression that can destroy a movement, or it can lead to concessions. Whether it does anything here idk, and I'm certainly not advocating for it personally.

Silent Master
I don't know if it will. But historically rioting certainly can lead to political changes that may be in the interest of the rioters. Rioting is a way of amplifying your power and making it more costly to deny your demands, this may lead to more repression that can destroy a movement, or it can lead to concessions. Whether it does anything here idk, and I'm certainly not advocating for it personally.

You just described terrorism.

Artol
You just described terrorism.

In some ways yes, as they say, one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

Surtur
I wonder if the left cucked for the Weather Underground back in the 1960s and 1970s in the same way they cuck for Antifa today.

Wasn't alive at the time so I can't say.

Silent Master
In some ways yes, as they say, one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

In what ways isn't it terrorism?

Artol
Do you see "Antifa" today as equivalent to the Weather Underground?

Artol
In what ways isn't it terrorism?

Like I said you can define it as terrorism. If they are successful with their goals I would say it is unlikely it will be called terrorism in 50 years, if they fail it might be.

Silent Master
Like I said you can define it as terrorism. If they are successful with their goals I would say it is unlikely it will be called terrorism in 50 years, if they fail it might be.

What have the rioters said their specific goals are?

Artol
What have the rioters said their specific goals are?

If a movement doesn't have clearly defined leaders it is more vague what the goals are, as I said in the other thread, one thing that certainly seems to have become one the accepted goals according to politicians and the media, is the demand that the funding for police is cut back.

Silent Master
If a movement doesn't have clearly defined leaders it is more vague what the goals are, as I said in the other thread, one thing that certainly seems to have become one the accepted goals according to politicians and the media, is the demand that the funding for police is cut back.

So the media and politicians have spoken specifically to the rioters and the rioters told them that their goals are for the police to be cut back?

Artol
So the media and politicians have spoken specifically to the rioters and the rioters told them that their goals are for the police to be cut back?

No.

Silent Master
No.

Then how do they and you know what the rioters goals are?

Artol

Silent Master
If nobody knows their goals, what is the purpose of their rioting?

cdtm
Originally posted by BrolyBlack
Always complaining, never happy with anything

Because people aren't as stupid as they'd like them to be.

No matter what tactics they use, no matter how much money they throw into research on psychology and other manipulations, they can't completely dominate the masses like "god", as they desire.

And they never will. World conquest is a fools game.

BrolyBlack

eThneoLgrRnae
LOL@ the comment that right-wingers under Obama's presidency acted like left-wingers are acting today under Trump. It is not even remotely comparable.

Yes, Obama sucked ass as a president and those of us on the right were not happy with many of the things he said and did but most of us were still happy in our personal lives. We didn't let Obama affect us personally.

Modern day leftists, otoh, seem to have "orange man bad!" on their minds 24/7.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by eThneoLgrRnae
LOL@ the comment that right-wingers under Obama's presidency acted like left-wingers are acting today under Trump. It is not even remotely comparable.

Yes, Obama sucked ass as a president and those of us on the right were not happy with many of the things he said and did but most of us were still happy in our personal lives. We didn't let Obama affect us personally.

Modern day leftists, otoh, seem to have "orange man bad!" on their minds 24/7. 20 point lead... smile November is coming.

StyleTime
thumb up

If nobody knows their goals, what is the purpose of their rioting?
As Artol has stated, "The Rioters" aren't a monolith. Some represent fringe ideologies who see this as an opportunity to affect politics. Some are radicals who believe force is necessary to fight unjust systems. Some might have no political allegiance and think it's fun. Some may be agent provocateurs used by the government to undermine movements. Some are thieves looking to capitalize on the chaos.

Their goals are nearly as diverse as the individuals involved.

cdtm
Originally posted by StyleTime
thumb up

As Artol has stated, "The Rioters" aren't a monolith. Some represent fringe ideologies who see this as an opportunity to affect politics. Some are radicals who believe force is necessary to fight unjust systems. Some might have no political allegiance and think it's fun. Some may be agent provocateurs used by the government to undermine movements. Some are thieves looking to capitalize on the chaos.

Their goals are nearly as diverse as the individuals involved.

The protestors are irrelevant.

It's the narrative spinster who controls political discourse.

On a CNN Youtube comments section on a breaking story, a poster claims as fact that an alt-right terrorist ran some people down. I asked the question "How can you know that? How can anyone know whether he's right, left, or center?"

That's spin.

Another well tread example is a protest of half a dozen people, hyped up as a full blown event.

Happens all the time.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.