Star Wars by Ubisoft - New open-world game in the works

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

-Pr-
The EA exclusivity is effectively done at this point.

https://www.wired.com/story/lucasfilm-games-star-wars-ubisoft-indiana-jones-bethesda/

https://www.starwars.com/news/lucasfilm-games-interview

Smasandian
Yeah.

I have always argued that only a select few companies could do a Star Wars game. Ubisoft would be one of those companies.

A combination of high expectations from fans, most likely a very high cost, too much oversight from Disney/Lucasfilm games and probably little profit.

I have heard the incoming EA CEO was very unhappy with the deal EA made for Star Wars games.

Arachnid1
The new game is by Ubisoft and the Division devs.

RIP

KingD19
Please bring back "Star Wars 1313." We can do it now.

ares834
Originally posted by Arachnid1

RIP

thumb up

This will be bland and uninspired at best.

NemeBro
Originally posted by Smasandian
Ubisoft would be one of those companies. thumb down

Jmanghan
Idk, this probably won't be a Star Wars-Assassin's Creed, but if it is, I wouldn't mind.

That said it's being done by the Division devs, so it's likely either gonna be outright bad to okay. I doubt it's gonna be a stand-out memorable game.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Arachnid1

RIP

As long as the game doesn't end up being a live-service game.

Smasandian
I really enjoyed both Division games.

And I also enjoyed their World in Conflict RTS games.

ares834
Originally posted by Kazenji
As long as the game doesn't end up being a live-service game.
https://media1.giphy.com/media/3oEdv07JVXwhImYGWc/giphy.gif

Jmanghan
Tbh, they should've given the license to Valve. They could make some ****ing MAGIC with a star wars game.

Smasandian
Well I would agree that Valve would always be a good choice..

No way Valve would ever bid for a Star Wars game...and Disney would never work with Valve....

Kazenji
Originally posted by ares834
https://media1.giphy.com/media/3oEdv07JVXwhImYGWc/giphy.gif

Will see....

Smasandian
Will see about Valve?

Kazenji
^ Look again at the posts.

-Pr-
I don't want any studio to have exclusivity. I just hope Disney isn't pricing all but the biggest studios out of said licenses by making them ridiculously expensive.

Smasandian
Even if that was the case, a smaller studio most likely will not have the cash to make a Star Wars game anyways.

Unless Disney shells out money to those studios (like a typical publisher - developer), then I cannot see a small studio doing a Star Wars game.

-Pr-
Even if that was the case, a smaller studio most likely will not have the cash to make a Star Wars game anyways.

Unless Disney shells out money to those studios (like a typical publisher - developer), then I cannot see a small studio doing a Star Wars game.

Sure, but there's a middle-ground between the biggest studios and the smaller ones. I hope those ones in the middle get a chance to have a crack at it.

Trocity
My god I hated the Division. I remember me and my buddies being so hyped for that game and then it turned out to be a bland storyline with nothing but bullet sponges for bosses.

Seriously, everyone would be out of ammo by the end of the fight because all youre doing is moving from cover to cover just spraying at a guy with a mini gun who shoots at you as he slowly walks towards you, just eating everything you throw at him. No tactics, no strategy, he just walks right at you and eats clips like candy.

I could not stand that game.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Trocity
My god I hated the Division. I remember me and my buddies being so hyped for that game and then it turned out to be a bland storyline with nothing but bullet sponges for bosses.

Seriously, everyone would be out of ammo by the end of the fight because all youre doing is moving from cover to cover just spraying at a guy with a mini gun who shoots at you as he slowly walks towards you, just eating everything you throw at him. No tactics, no strategy, he just walks right at you and eats clips like candy.

I could not stand that game. That sounds awful. Why do people pretend stuff like that is gameplay?

Jmanghan
Well I would agree that Valve would always be a good choice..

No way Valve would ever bid for a Star Wars game...and Disney would never work with Valve.... Why don't you think they'd work with Valve? I don't see why Valve wouldn't bid on the SW games, they don't have much going on except for Alyx atm, they have the money for sure, and a license like SW seems right up their alley, hell Jedi Academy and Jedi Outcast play quite similarly to something Valve would've developed had they been given the license.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Jmanghan
Why don't you think they'd work with Valve? I don't see why Valve wouldn't bid on the SW games, they don't have much going on except for Alyx atm,.

According to Gabe, Valve has quite a few games in development. As long as they're not VR only.

ares834
Why the hell would Valve make a SW game? Makes no sense.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by ares834
Why the hell would Valve make a SW game? Makes no sense. I mean, Jedi Academy and Jedi Outcast were basically Star Wars Half-Life/G-Mod, with the stuff they have today they could really make a banger, and the license seems like something right up their alley.

Smasandian
Originally posted by Jmanghan
Why don't you think they'd work with Valve? I don't see why Valve wouldn't bid on the SW games, they don't have much going on except for Alyx atm, they have the money for sure, and a license like SW seems right up their alley, hell Jedi Academy and Jedi Outcast play quite similarly to something Valve would've developed had they been given the license.

Because Valve wants autonomy and has never worked on an third party existing IP. Why would they start now?

They have the pull as being a top notch developer so any game they make will automatically have some pull with the public and press. They do not need the headache on dealing with Disney. They would most likely sell millions on any new IP or using an existing IP they have (a new Left 4 Dead game?)

Also, while I believe they had slightly changed their "horizontal" company structure.. I still believe they operate based on what their employees want to make and they could go through 14 failed projects before finding one everybody wants to work on....something that Valve would never be able to do with a Star Wars license. You think EA was bad with the lack of games...having Valve try to make one would be 100 times worst.

ares834

Nemesis X
Wonder what it'd be like if the For Honor devs made a new Jedi Academy.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Nemesis X
Wonder what it'd be like if the For Honor devs made a new Jedi Academy. It'd be less fun but to each their own.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.