80's & 90's Actors Vs Current Up and Comers

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Senor Cage
80's/90's Stars

1. Johnny Depp
2. Brad Pitt
3. Leondardo Dicaprio
4. Tom Hanks
5. Kevin Spacey
6. Jeremy Irons
7. Anthony Hopkins
8. Jack Nicholson
9. Robert Downey Jr.
10. Garry Oldman

Vs

Current/Up and Comers

1. Ryan Gosling
2. Jake Gyllenhaal
3. Rami Malek
4. Eddie Redmayne
5. Chiwetel Ejiofor
6. Adam Driver
7. James Franco
8. Bradley Cooper
9. Benedict Cumberbatch
10. Michael Fassbender

Which crop of actors are overall more skilled/better?

Which side would you choose in terms of overall acting/roles/films you like throughout the their careers?

SquallX

jaden_2.0
Oldman and DiCaprio have far more varied roles than any of the 2nd group.

Some of both of those groups are highly overrated in those same terms. They effectively just play themselves in every role.

More interesting is the people you left out. Daniel Day Lewis is arguably better than any in list 1 and Tom Hardy is arguably better than any in list 2.

Senor Cage
Originally posted by jaden_2.0

Some of both of those groups are highly overrated in those same terms. They effectively just play themselves in every role.

More interesting is the people you left out. Daniel Day Lewis is arguably better than any in list 1 and Tom Hardy is arguably better than any in list 2.

Damn, forgot about Hardy.

Most of DDL roles are in the 80/90's, huh?

Who is better IYO? Hardy or Bale?

SquallX
Hardy is far better than Bale by a long shot.

jaden_2.0
Originally posted by Senor Cage
Damn, forgot about Hardy.

Most of DDL roles are in the 80/90's, huh?

Who is better IYO? Hardy or Bale?

Yeah. DDL has only 30 movies and only 7 since 2000.

Have to say Bale is probably the most committed method actor going. What he's put himself through to fluctuate between roles like The Machinist and Batman then back to what he looked like in The Fighter then back to Batman with Patrick Bateman in between then up in weight for Vice. Absolutely unreal physical transformations. The guy will have totally destroyed his hormonal systems by the time he stops.

Hardy seems to have more range of roles/accents compared to Bale though.

Might sound silly but as up & comers go I'd also be tempted to list Robert Pattinson and Daniel Radcliffe. They've both put in some brilliant performances in recent years.

Senor Cage

Have to say Bale is probably the most committed method actor going. What he's put himself through to fluctuate between roles like The Machinist and Batman then back to what he looked like in The Fighter then back to Batman with Patrick Bateman in between then up in weight for Vice. Absolutely unreal physical transformations. The guy will have totally destroyed his hormonal systems by the time he stops.

Might sound silly but as up & comers go I'd also be tempted to list Robert Pattinson and Daniel Radcliffe. They've both put in some brilliant performances in recent years.

So, overall you'd give it to the 90's?

Where do you put Liam Neesan in the mix?

Senor Cage
And Michael Keaton for that matter,

Senor Cage
Originally posted by SquallX

I wouldn't say that. Put together both of their best roles/films, it's about even, IMO.

Hardy has done some forgettable roles, too.

riv6672

jaden_2.0
So, overall you'd give it to the 90's?

Where do you put Liam Neesan in the mix?

Comes under those actors who essentially do the same thing in every role. Not to say that they don't do it well. De Niro, Denzel, Neeson, Cruise. They pick great scripts and work with great directors but don't really have the range that others have.

There are some standouts in that 2nd list. Jake Gyllenhaal for example in Nightcrawler. Phenomenal performance. Also great in End of Watch.

Redmayne I haven't watched enough of his cos I mostly don't have much interest in the films he's done. He was excellent in The Theory of Everything though.

Malek much the same. Great in Mr Robot and Bohemian Rhapsody. He brings up something of a tangent that annoys me which is the Bond movies latching on to the "actor of the moment" when casting their villains. They did it with Javier Bardem in Skyfall although that was a few years after his role as Anton Chigurh. Same with Christoph Waltz in Spectre after he played Hans Landa . And now Malek. Waltz and Bardem basically did nothing noteworthy after doing Bond. Hopefully the same doesn't happen with Malek.

NemeBro

Might sound silly but as up & comers go I'd also be tempted to list Robert Pattinson and Daniel Radcliffe. They've both put in some brilliant performances in recent years. thumb up on Pattinson (not watched Radcliffe's post-Potter work). He was excellent in The King and The Lighthouse.

Senor Cage
Comes under those actors who essentially do the same thing in every role. Not to say that they don't do it well. De Niro, Denzel, Neeson, Cruise. They pick great scripts and work with great directors but don't really have the range that others have.

There are some standouts in that 2nd list. Jake Gyllenhaal for example in Nightcrawler. Phenomenal performance. Also great in End of Watch.

Redmayne I haven't watched enough of his cos I mostly don't have much interest in the films he's done. He was excellent in The Theory of Everything though.

Malek much the same. Great in Mr Robot and Bohemian Rhapsody. He brings up something of a tangent that annoys me which is the Bond movies latching on to the "actor of the moment" when casting their villains. They did it with Javier Bardem in Skyfall although that was a few years after his role as Anton Chigurh. Same with Christoph Waltz in Spectre after he played Hans Landa . And now Malek. Waltz and Bardem basically did nothing noteworthy after doing Bond. Hopefully the same doesn't happen with Malek.

thumb up

What do you think about Keaton. I think he should have gotten an oscar by now.

Patient_Leech

jaden_2.0
thumb up

Love his deadpan comedy stuff like The Other Guys. He'll never surpass Beetlejuice though. He either doesn't get offered the roles he deserves or he's not great at picking scripts because he has a mountain of utter dogshit with a handful of great roles sprinkled in there. Spotlight, Birdman, Jackie Brown.

jaden_2.0
Originally posted by NemeBro
thumb up on Pattinson (not watched Radcliffe's post-Potter work). He was excellent in The King and The Lighthouse.

Pattinson was also excellent in Tenet. The Lost City of Z was also great. Very much looking forward to him as The Batman

Radcliffe has picked truly weird roles. Check out Guns Akimbo, Horns and Swiss Army Man. Some of his serious work has also been excellent like Imperium and The Woman in Black.

NemeBro
I've been meaning to wach Swiss Army Man, looks very strange lol.

jaden_2.0
For the record. Gosling is total crap but somehow manages to pick roles that suit him perfectly. The Nice Guys, Drive, Only God Forgives, Remember the Titans, Blade Runner 2049, The Place Beyond the Pines. All films which I liked.

Patient_Leech
For the record. Gosling is total crap but somehow manages to pick roles that suit him perfectly. The Nice Guys, Drive, Only God Forgives, Remember the Titans, Blade Runner 2049, The Place Beyond the Pines. All films which I liked.

Yeah, I agree. He's wooden with very little charisma. I'm not a fan of his, but he has great dedication to the craft.

First Man was snubbed by the Oscars in my opinion.

jaden_2.0
I just didn't like it at all. I have no idea if he played the role well because I don't know what Neil Armstrong was like in real life but it didn't translate well onto the screen. I didn't see what all the fuss was about. I don't think it looked particularly good visually either. As bad and unlikeable as Sandra Bullock was in Gravity and Brad Pitt was in Ad Astra at the very least those films at least looked spectacular.

jaden_2.0
I've probably ruined my reputation on this board for hating every movie ever by listing so many that I actually liked in this thread

Patient_Leech
I thought it was well put together. Nice use of sound design and music. More of an art-house take, perhaps, though.

I seriously think if he was black or gay it would have been given the Best Picture nom it deserved.

Senor Cage
Love his deadpan comedy stuff like The Other Guys. He'll never surpass Beetlejuice though. He either doesn't get offered the roles he deserves or he's not great at picking scripts because he has a mountain of utter dogshit with a handful of great roles sprinkled in there. Spotlight, Birdman, Jackie Brown.

I'd recommend Clean & Sober and Pacific Heights if you haven't seen them. Solid roles, imo.

SquallX
thumb up

Oscar means nothing. But Keaton is a pretty good actor. From playing Batman to Beetlejuice, the man has range.

John Murdoch
Gary Oldman solos. 90's win.

Yep Hardy and Daniel Day-Lewis should be on their respective lists.

Originally posted by SquallX

Hardy is one of the best actors today, but I'll take Bale: American Psycho, Vice, Hostiles, Ford v Ferrari, The Fighter, 3:10 to Yuma, American Hustle, The Big Short, Public Enemies, heck even in Equilibirum and Shaft he's great.

jaden_2.0
Originally posted by John Murdoch
Gary Oldman solos. 90's win.

Yep Hardy and Daniel Day-Lewis should be on their respective lists.

Hardy is one of the best actors today, but I'll take Bale: American Psycho, Vice, Hostiles, Ford v Ferrari, The Fighter, 3:10 to Yuma, American Hustle, The Big Short, Public Enemies, heck even in Equilibirum and Shaft he's great.

His physical commitment is above Hardy (not that Hardy hasn't done some staggering transformations in his time for the likes of Bronson, Warrior and TDKR

His range of character, accents etc is better than Bale's though. From his Queens English is Star Trek Nemesis, Inception and Dunkirk through his slang in Peaky Blinders, Taboo, Legend, Bronson and his American accents in Capone, Venom, Band of Brothers, The Drop, Lawless, The Revenant, Mad Max.

Bale pretty much has 1 British accent and 1 American.

Robtard

Radcliffe is very decent and Pattinson has done very solid roles post Twilight Saga trash, I think he'll be one of these actors who will just improve as he ages.

He's the reason I have high hopes for The Batman, despite the trailers not wowing me

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Robtard
Radcliffe is very decent and Pattinson has done very solid roles post Twilight Saga trash, I think he'll be one of these actors who will just improve as he ages.

Yeah, Daniel Radcliffe is becoming quite fun to watch. I just saw Guns Akimbo the other day and he was great. He's great in Jungle, and Horns as well.

Originally posted by Robtard
He's the reason I have high hopes for The Batman, despite the trailers not wowing me

The director is good, too. He's the main reason I have some expectations for it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.