KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » 80's & 90's Actors Vs Current Up and Comers

80's & 90's Actors Vs Current Up and Comers
Started by: Senor Cage

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Senor Cage

80's & 90's Actors Vs Current Up and Comers

80's/90's Stars

1. Johnny Depp
2. Brad Pitt
3. Leondardo Dicaprio
4. Tom Hanks
5. Kevin Spacey
6. Jeremy Irons
7. Anthony Hopkins
8. Jack Nicholson
9. Robert Downey Jr.
10. Garry Oldman

Vs

Current/Up and Comers

1. Ryan Gosling
2. Jake Gyllenhaal
3. Rami Malek
4. Eddie Redmayne
5. Chiwetel Ejiofor
6. Adam Driver
7. James Franco
8. Bradley Cooper
9. Benedict Cumberbatch
10. Michael Fassbender

Which crop of actors are overall more skilled/better?

Which side would you choose in terms of overall acting/roles/films you like throughout the their careers?

Old Post Sep 6th, 2021 09:20 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SquallX

Adam Driver, James Franco, Bradley Cooper are okay actors. I’ve yet to watch any of their projects that has wow me.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2021 09:53 PM
SquallX is currently offline Click here to Send SquallX a Private Message Find more posts by SquallX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

Oldman and DiCaprio have far more varied roles than any of the 2nd group.

Some of both of those groups are highly overrated in those same terms. They effectively just play themselves in every role.

More interesting is the people you left out. Daniel Day Lewis is arguably better than any in list 1 and Tom Hardy is arguably better than any in list 2.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2021 09:56 PM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

quote: (post)
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
Oldman and DiCaprio have far more varied roles than any of the 2nd group.

Some of both of those groups are highly overrated in those same terms. They effectively just play themselves in every role.

More interesting is the people you left out. Daniel Day Lewis is arguably better than any in list 1 and Tom Hardy is arguably better than any in list 2.

Damn, forgot about Hardy.

Most of DDL roles are in the 80/90's, huh?

Who is better IYO? Hardy or Bale?

Old Post Sep 6th, 2021 10:00 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SquallX

Hardy is far better than Bale by a long shot.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2021 10:06 PM
SquallX is currently offline Click here to Send SquallX a Private Message Find more posts by SquallX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

Originally posted by Senor Cage
Damn, forgot about Hardy.

Most of DDL roles are in the 80/90's, huh?

Who is better IYO? Hardy or Bale?

Yeah. DDL has only 30 movies and only 7 since 2000.

Have to say Bale is probably the most committed method actor going. What he's put himself through to fluctuate between roles like The Machinist and Batman then back to what he looked like in The Fighter then back to Batman with Patrick Bateman in between then up in weight for Vice. Absolutely unreal physical transformations. The guy will have totally destroyed his hormonal systems by the time he stops.

Hardy seems to have more range of roles/accents compared to Bale though.

Might sound silly but as up & comers go I'd also be tempted to list Robert Pattinson and Daniel Radcliffe. They've both put in some brilliant performances in recent years.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2021 10:12 PM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Yeah. DDL has only 30 movies and only 7 since 2000.

Have to say Bale is probably the most committed method actor going. What he's put himself through to fluctuate between roles like The Machinist and Batman then back to what he looked like in The Fighter then back to Batman with Patrick Bateman in between then up in weight for Vice. Absolutely unreal physical transformations. The guy will have totally destroyed his hormonal systems by the time he stops.

Hardy seems to have more range of roles/accents compared to Bale though.

Might sound silly but as up & comers go I'd also be tempted to list Robert Pattinson and Daniel Radcliffe. They've both put in some brilliant performances in recent years.

So, overall you'd give it to the 90's?

Where do you put Liam Neesan in the mix?

Old Post Sep 6th, 2021 10:28 PM
Senor Cage

And Michael Keaton for that matter,

Old Post Sep 6th, 2021 11:04 PM
Senor Cage

Originally posted by SquallX
Hardy is far better than Bale by a long shot.

I wouldn't say that. Put together both of their best roles/films, it's about even, IMO.

Hardy has done some forgettable roles, too.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2021 11:21 PM
riv6672

(Most of) Group 2 haven’t had the opportunity to put together the bodies of work Group 1 has.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2021 11:21 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

So, overall you'd give it to the 90's?

Where do you put Liam Neesan in the mix?

Comes under those actors who essentially do the same thing in every role. Not to say that they don't do it well. De Niro, Denzel, Neeson, Cruise. They pick great scripts and work with great directors but don't really have the range that others have.

There are some standouts in that 2nd list. Jake Gyllenhaal for example in Nightcrawler. Phenomenal performance. Also great in End of Watch.

Redmayne I haven't watched enough of his cos I mostly don't have much interest in the films he's done. He was excellent in The Theory of Everything though.

Malek much the same. Great in Mr Robot and Bohemian Rhapsody. He brings up something of a tangent that annoys me which is the Bond movies latching on to the "actor of the moment" when casting their villains. They did it with Javier Bardem in Skyfall although that was a few years after his role as Anton Chigurh. Same with Christoph Waltz in Spectre after he played Hans Landa . And now Malek. Waltz and Bardem basically did nothing noteworthy after doing Bond. Hopefully the same doesn't happen with Malek.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2021 01:38 AM
NemeBro

thumb up on Pattinson (not watched Radcliffe's post-Potter work). He was excellent in The King and The Lighthouse.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2021 01:57 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Comes under those actors who essentially do the same thing in every role. Not to say that they don't do it well. De Niro, Denzel, Neeson, Cruise. They pick great scripts and work with great directors but don't really have the range that others have.

There are some standouts in that 2nd list. Jake Gyllenhaal for example in Nightcrawler. Phenomenal performance. Also great in End of Watch.

Redmayne I haven't watched enough of his cos I mostly don't have much interest in the films he's done. He was excellent in The Theory of Everything though.

Malek much the same. Great in Mr Robot and Bohemian Rhapsody. He brings up something of a tangent that annoys me which is the Bond movies latching on to the "actor of the moment" when casting their villains. They did it with Javier Bardem in Skyfall although that was a few years after his role as Anton Chigurh. Same with Christoph Waltz in Spectre after he played Hans Landa . And now Malek. Waltz and Bardem basically did nothing noteworthy after doing Bond. Hopefully the same doesn't happen with Malek.

thumb up

What do you think about Keaton. I think he should have gotten an oscar by now.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2021 02:02 AM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by riv6672
(Most of) Group 2 haven’t had the opportunity to put together the bodies of work Group 1 has.

That's kind of what I was thinking.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2021 02:09 AM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

thumb up

What do you think about Keaton. I think he should have gotten an oscar by now.

Love his deadpan comedy stuff like The Other Guys. He'll never surpass Beetlejuice though. He either doesn't get offered the roles he deserves or he's not great at picking scripts because he has a mountain of utter dogshit with a handful of great roles sprinkled in there. Spotlight, Birdman, Jackie Brown.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2021 02:15 AM
jaden_2.0
Awful

Originally posted by NemeBro
thumb up on Pattinson (not watched Radcliffe's post-Potter work). He was excellent in The King and The Lighthouse.

Pattinson was also excellent in Tenet. The Lost City of Z was also great. Very much looking forward to him as The Batman

Radcliffe has picked truly weird roles. Check out Guns Akimbo, Horns and Swiss Army Man. Some of his serious work has also been excellent like Imperium and The Woman in Black.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2021 02:20 AM
NemeBro

I've been meaning to wach Swiss Army Man, looks very strange lol.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2021 02:24 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

For the record. Gosling is total crap but somehow manages to pick roles that suit him perfectly. The Nice Guys, Drive, Only God Forgives, Remember the Titans, Blade Runner 2049, The Place Beyond the Pines. All films which I liked.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2021 02:25 AM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

For the record. Gosling is total crap but somehow manages to pick roles that suit him perfectly. The Nice Guys, Drive, Only God Forgives, Remember the Titans, Blade Runner 2049, The Place Beyond the Pines. All films which I liked.

Yeah, I agree. He's wooden with very little charisma. I'm not a fan of his, but he has great dedication to the craft.

First Man was snubbed by the Oscars in my opinion.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2021 02:35 AM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

I just didn't like it at all. I have no idea if he played the role well because I don't know what Neil Armstrong was like in real life but it didn't translate well onto the screen. I didn't see what all the fuss was about. I don't think it looked particularly good visually either. As bad and unlikeable as Sandra Bullock was in Gravity and Brad Pitt was in Ad Astra at the very least those films at least looked spectacular.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2021 02:40 AM