Tales of The Jedi

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Galan007
-uRRKqQbmw4

"The six-episode first season focuses on two main characters: Ahsoka Tano, and Count Dooku. Ahsoka's three episodes focus on different points of the Jedi hero's life, while Dooku's episodes depict the character's youth before he turned to the dark side. Each episode will be 15 minutes long."

-Slated for release on October 26.

Eli Vanto
Looks good actually. I'm very interested in the Dooku backstory- especially since it looks like he'll be fighting Yaddle.

Any thoughts on who this random Sith acolyte is?

https://i.postimg.cc/JzgHjgh9/01.jpg

Sheev
Does look good, but 15 minute episodes just doesn't seem like enough. But I guess that still works out to 45 mins per character, which isn't terrible. I just hope there isn't a bunch of filler.

Originally posted by Eli Vanto
Looks good actually. I'm very interested in the Dooku backstory- especially since it looks like he'll be fighting Yaddle. Hopefully they use this to explain why Yaddle was never seen again after TPM. Dooku either killed or severely injured her.

Originally posted by Eli Vanto
Any thoughts on who this random Sith acolyte is?

https://i.postimg.cc/JzgHjgh9/01.jpg New character obviously. Youtube captions just say "INQUISITOR" when he speaks.

ares834
So they call it Tales of the Jedi and yet it has nothing to do with the classic comics... Instead it's yet more prequel-era garbage and half of it is about Filoni's waifu. **** off.

Sheev
I never expected this show to have anything to do with the Legends comics, but I agree that the Ahsoka stuff just seems like a waste. But I am not surprised at all that Filoni is cramming more of her down our throats. Especially with his live action show that's coming next year.

I am looking forward to the Dooku story though. Sure it's still technically PT era, but at least it's set at a point in time that new canon hasn't really touched outside of a few novels.

Eli Vanto
Originally posted by Sheev
Hopefully they use this to explain why Yaddle was never seen again after TPM. Dooku either killed or severely injured her. I think a few of the guides say that Yaddle took a less active role in Jedi affairs after TPM, so I don't think she will get killed off.

Although this is Filoni. He has no problem altering canon in his shows.

New character obviously. Youtube captions just say "INQUISITOR" when he speaks. Yeah I saw that, but I'm wondering WHO this new Inquisitor will be. As in, what Jedi is he?

Galan007
Eh, Yaddle was still alive and well during TPM -- she was literally IN the movie.

So unless the fight between Yaddle and Dooku takes place after TPM(which seems unlikely, given that Dooku appears to be much younger in that clip, and still has a blue lightsaber), then Yaddle really can't get killed-off there. Filoni is obviously willing to handwave away elements from guides/novels/comics with his shows, but outright retconning one of the movies like that is something else entirely. /shrug

Also, Dooku had officially left the Jedi Order something like 10 years before the events of TPM, and was covertly acting as a bonafide Sith Lord during the events of TPM(according to current canon, at least.) Yet even by the time of AotC, Dooku was evidently still in pretty good standing with the Jedi, as Mace initially refused to believe that he would try to kill Padme: "He couldn't assassinate anyone. It's not in his character."

That said, if Dooku had openly attacked a Jedi Master/Council member years beforehand, surely the Order would have been a LOT more skeptical of his motives and whatnot by the time of AotC... So perhaps that sequence is just an training exercise?

Either that, or Dave is about to Filoni the shit out of existing continuity.

Sheev
Originally posted by Galan007
Eh, Yaddle was still alive and well during TPM -- she was literally IN the movie.

So unless the fight between Yaddle and Dooku takes place after TPM(which seems unlikely, given that Dooku appears to be much younger in that clip, and still has a blue lightsaber), then Yaddle really can't get killed-off there. Filoni is obviously willing to handwave away elements from guides/novels/comics with his shows, but outright retconning one of the movies like that is something else entirely. /shrug

Also, Dooku had officially left the Jedi Order something like 10 years before the events of TPM, and was covertly acting as a bonafide Sith Lord during the events of TPM(according to current canon, at least.) Yet even by the time of AotC, Dooku was evidently still in pretty good standing with the Jedi, as Mace initially refused to believe that he would try to kill Padme: "He couldn't assassinate anyone. It's not in his character."

That said, if Dooku had openly attacked a Jedi Master/Council member years beforehand, surely the Order would have been a LOT more skeptical of his motives and whatnot by the time of AotC... So perhaps that sequence is just an training exercise? Ya I suppose if the Dooku episodes are all set before he left the Order, then it doesn't really leave much wiggle room. Like you said, he can't have killed Yaddle before TPM, and he did look much younger in the trailer so the fight probably didn't happen after TPM (unless he aged dramatically between TPM and AOTC).

So maybe they were just doing some kind sparring thing before Dooku left the Order. But there are lightsaber scars on the walls around them in the trailer, so they would have had to be really going at it.

Either that, or Dave is about to Filoni the shit out of existing continuity. Or that. laughing out loud

Galan007
There are 3 possibilities as I see it...

1.) It was a hardcore training/sparring/dueling exercise set before Dooku left the Order. That would explain why he looks much younger, still has a blue lightsaber, and why Yaddle was alive and well during TPM.
2.) Dooku fought her at some point after the events of TPM. Though in that case he'd literally *have* to kill her, otherwise she would inform the Council and risk prematurely exposing Dooku as a Sith... But that still doesn't explain why Dooku looks so much younger in the clip.
3.) They did have an actual fight around the TPM-era, and Yaddle wasn't killed. So she either: a.) didn't mention it to anyone for some reason, or b.) the incident was randomly covered up, and Yaddle was sent on a mandatory long-term sabbatical after TPM.

Option #1 seems to be the most likely to me, but who the f*ck knows what Filoni will do. /shrug

Sheev
So you're saying that there IS some wiggle room. stick out tongue

Darth Thor
Its Star Wars, He could age plenty in 10 years. Just look at Ben Kenobi. I imagine the dark side ages him as well.

That said, Qui-Gon is in this and yeah his saber is still blue, so pre-TPM is probably the best bet.

StiltmanFTW
I never expected this show to have anything to do with the Legends comics

Then they should've thought of a different name for it stick out tongue

Eli Vanto
Originally posted by Darth Thor
Its Star Wars, He could age plenty in 10 years. Just look at Ben Kenobi. I imagine the dark side ages him as well.

That said, Qui-Gon is in this and yeah his saber is still blue, so pre-TPM is probably the best bet. Also this show is supposed to be set before Dooku's fall to the dark side.

Like Galan said- Dooku was already operating as a Sith during TPM, so Dooku's story must all take place several years before TPM anyway (before he walked away from the Order)......Unless Filoni retcons his own work lol.

Sheev
Its Star Wars, He could age plenty in 10 years. Just look at Ben Kenobi. I imagine the dark side ages him as well. Kenobi was living a very harsh lifestyle under the suns of Tatooine for almost 20 years. That's why he looked like a decrepit grandpa when he was only in his 50s. Dooku on the other hand was just chilling in a palace on Serreno after he left the order, and living a life of luxury. No way the years would have treated him as harshly as they did Kenobi.

But on that note, when did Dooku leave the order and fall to the dark side? Wasn't he already quite old by then?

Total Warrior
Wish they chose another character to focus on rather than Ahsoka

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Total Warrior
Wish they chose another character to focus on rather than Ahsoka

Yeah.

Galan007
But on that note, when did Dooku leave the order and fall to the dark side? Wasn't he already quite old by then? According to the novels, Dooku left the Jedi Order 10 years before the events of TPM -- he was 60 years old.

A few years later, Dooku stated that he had already expanded his power and knowledge beyond the Jedi, and refers to the Jedi way as a path of failure and weakness. So he must have started delving deep into the dark side(and was likely taken as an apprentice by Sidious) shortly after leaving the Order.

By the time of TPM, Dooku was already a full-fledged Sith Lord(per TCW) -- he was 70 years old.

Sheev
Wish they chose another character to focus on rather than Ahsoka Agree. But it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, considering Filoni is involved. Ahsoka has been in every single one of his projects since the very beginning of TCW.

Hopefully the introduction of this new Inquisitor (who looks pretty badass, I must say) will make her episodes more palatable.

According to the novels, Dooku left the Jedi Order 10 years before the events of TPM -- he was 60 years old.

A few years later, Dooku stated that he had already expanded his power and knowledge beyond the Jedi, and refers to the Jedi way as a path of failure and weakness. So he must have started delving deep into the dark side(and was likely taken as an apprentice by Sidious) shortly after leaving the Order.

By the time of TPM, Dooku was already a full-fledged Sith Lord(per TCW) -- he was 70 years old. Thats what I thought. Dooku sure doesn't look like a guy in his 60s when fighting Yaddle, and definitely not a guy in his 70s.

Granted this is animation and it could be misleading, but it does seem like the fight probably takes place before Dooku left the order.

Galan007
Thats what I thought. Dooku sure doesn't look like a guy in his 60s when fighting Yaddle, and definitely not a guy in his 70s.

Granted this is animation and it could be misleading, but it does seem like the fight probably takes place before Dooku left the order. There are other tidbits to consider as well.

In Jedi Lost, for example, Ky Narec stated that Dooku already had a gray beard by the time Qui-Gon became a Jedi Knight -- and Qui-Gon was Knighted when Dooku was in his late-40s/early-50s. Furthermore, in the comics Dooku was shown to be fully grayed-out when he was still a Jedi:
https://ibb.co/pR0VZCw
I only mention that because Dooku still looks to have a brown beard while dueling Yaddle. IOW, their little skirmish could be set decades before he even left the Order.

...Not that Filoni is beholden to details like that. As I mentioned above, he clearly has no qualms with retconning novels and such. We'll have to wait and see. /shrug

Darth Thor
Mace doesn't seem to look any younger.

Sheev
Mace doesn't seem to look any younger. Yeah but he's also clearly with a MUCH younger Dooku in some of those scenes.

Black don't crack. wink

Darth Thor
I know theyre much younger lol. But im wondering if this will retcon Windus age.

Because going by old canon hed be like 30 if this is 10 years pre-TPM.

Galan007
I see what you're saying. Seems like it will either have to retcon Mace's age, or retcon Dooku's age/appearance before he left the Order. Because per current canon, Dooku was 30 years older than Mace -- so even if Dooku was in his mid-40s in that flashback, Mace would have only been a teenager.

So unless Mace just looked really mature in his youth(ala Dwayne Johnson), then it seems like *something* will have to be altered, timeline-wise. ermm

Darth Thor
thumb up

juggernaut74
That room Dooku and Yaddle are fighting appears to be the same one Dooku and Sidious were having their conversation in at the end of AOTC.

Eli Vanto
New poster.

https://i.postimg.cc/Mp5pLwbQ/Tales-Of-The-Jedi-1037x1536.jpg

Total Warrior
Nice

BruceSkywalker
am hopeful these turn out to be good.. gonna watch all 6 episodes once they air.

Darth Thor
Was okay. Interesting tid bits but nothing special.

Seems Dooku was a dark Jedi ally to Sidioue as of TPM, and not a Sith Apprentice until Maul died

And man that last fight for Ahsoka was way too short

Darth Thor
^ That was overstating it. It wasnt even a fight. Didnt need to be that one sided given it was an unknown Inquisitor and Ahsoka had no weapon

Zenwolf
^ That was overstating it. It wasnt even a fight. Didnt need to be that one sided given it was an unknown Inquisitor and Ahsoka had no weapon

The Inquisitor was complete trash right?....Typical Inquisitorius...

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Zenwolf
The Inquisitor was complete trash right?....Typical Inquisitorius...

This one was worse than trash. Or Filoni powered Ahsoka is just that Uber

Zenwolf
This one was worse than trash. Or Filoni powered Ahsoka is just that Uber

I wouldn't put past BOTH those things frankly, considering she's his pet character and wants her included into everything and be involved in all the important movie characters lives...

Darth Thor
I wouldn't put past BOTH those things frankly, considering she's his pet character and wants her included into everything and be involved in all the important movie characters lives...

Yeah honestly, there was no need for her story. Dookus back story is obviously something interesting we could use more of. But jeez enough of Ahsoka already. I mean shes getting her own fracking live action show!

Tzeentch
I've really enjoyed the dooku episodes but man Dave filoney needs to be kept as far away from Star wars as possible. So sick of seeing his waifu get crammed into every media.

Total Warrior

Zenwolf
You know, I really...just really have to ask. What even IS Ahsoka character wise? I mean if you like her, that's fine, not judging you for it folks. But I don't really remember....anything interesting about her as a character.

Ok sure she's Anakin's Padawan, but that has more to do with him than her...even though I feel them giving Anakin a Padawan misses the point of his character entirely, I feel like they shouldn't have done that. But that's another issue.

Like I can't recall anything that sticks out to her as a character, she just comes across as a Dave Filoni self insert character to hang around/meet all the main PT/OT characters and be involved in every single era....for some reason, which made more apparent by the fact she keeps popping up.

Darth Thor
even though I feel them giving Anakin a Padawan misses the point of his character entirely,

The point of the character was determined by Lucas, and it was his idea to give Anakin a padawan.

Outside of that Ahsoka is completely a creation of Filoni's. And he can BS all he wants claiming Plo Koon is his favourite character, but we all know it's actually her.

Edit: Would have been pretty cool if Plo Koon actually was a major character in TCW. No reason he couldn't have been !

Total Warrior
Watched the final 3 episodes. I really did enjoy the Dooku part, especially episode 4, not only for his fight against Yaddle, but also for his reaction at Jinn's death, the fact that he had stil decided to confront Sidious about it despite the danger of getting him angered. I like how he is not just boringly evil like Sidious or Vader but he is more conflicted. Ahsoka's episode were more boring and useless. We didn't really to see her again, especially since she is already getting her own tv series. At this point I'm even starting to dislike her. Why not focus on Mace Windu? Or a yonger Palpatine + Darth Plagueis, or even Yoda. Not to mention Vos, Secura, Koon, Ti etc all would need to be fleshed out a bit more in canon. I hope there's going to be a season 2 and they focus on these characters

Zenwolf
The point of the character was determined by Lucas, and it was his idea to give Anakin a padawan.

Outside of that Ahsoka is completely a creation of Filoni's. And he can BS all he wants claiming Plo Koon is his favourite character, but we all know it's actually her.

Edit: Would have been pretty cool if Plo Koon actually was a major character in TCW. No reason he couldn't have been !

Was it really? GL went on record as saying it was his idea?

But yeah, or at least just have her remain as Koon's Padawan and pop in from time to time. Get 2 birds with one stone if really wanting her in.

Darth Thor
Was it really? GL went on record as saying it was his idea?

Well no Filoni said so. But I don't think he's got to the point where he just outright lies about what George says. He couldn't do that whilst George was in charge at least.

Lucas was in charge of TCW show regardless. It was HIS canon. Just because he had someone else directing, and even writing scripts, doesn't change that.

Zenwolf
Well no Filoni said so. But I don't think he's got to the point where he just outright lies about what George says. He couldn't do that whilst George was in charge at least.

Lucas was in charge of TCW show regardless. It was HIS canon. Just because he had someone else directing, and even writing scripts, doesn't change that.

I dunno, seems kinda suspect and yeah he was in charge and had it be apart of his Canon. But I don't think he was as hands on with it, since Dave was at the helm.

But I guess this is going off the topic, so moving on.

carthage
Oh man that Inquisitor 😂😂

Galan007
Yeah, the Ahsoka episodes were meh(badass as that Inquisitor looked, he was an absolute feeb)... But I thought the Dooku episodes were excellent. They also ended up going this route with Yaddle:
2.) Dooku fought her at some point after the events of TPM. Though in that case he'd literally *have* to kill her, otherwise she would inform the Council and risk prematurely exposing Dooku as a Sith. ...Didn't really expect that, but the scene was very well-done, imo.

Total Warrior
yeah I like Dooku much more after these episodes

juggernaut74
Originally posted by juggernaut74
That room Dooku and Yaddle are fighting appears to be the same one Dooku and Sidious were having their conversation in at the end of AOTC. Looks like I was correct.

ares834
Dooku episodes were good. Ahsoka episodes were poor. And they absolutely wasted that great villain design...

It also continues the trend of them ignoring and contradicting material from the comics and books. This isn't a surprise, but Disney's claim that everything was all equally canon was clearly hot air.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by juggernaut74
Looks like I was correct.

Well spotted.

yeah I like Dooku much more after these episodes

I want more that of that story ! They skipped over his first kill, and him finding out about Sidious.

Sheev
Originally posted by ares834
Dooku episodes were good. Ahsoka episodes were poor. And they absolutely wasted that great villain design...

It also continues the trend of them ignoring and contradicting material from the comics and books. This isn't a surprise, but Disney's claim that everything was all equally canon was clearly hot air. It is all canon though. The existence of retcons doesn't negate that.

Sheev
Also that Inquisitor had what was probably the best villain design of any character in Star Wars, but then he gets killed off after like 2 minutes. What a waste.

Tzeentch
Originally posted by ares834
It also continues the trend of them ignoring and contradicting material from the comics and books. Can you give some examples of things that have been retconned? I don't know shit about Disney canon tbh.

Darth Thor
It is all canon though. The existence of retcons doesn't negate that.

Thats not what canon is though. True canon cant be retconned. A New Hope is true canon, which means it cant get retconned.

The Ahsoka novel got completely retconned, which means its claim to that title was never a particularly strong one.

At best we can place material like that as a lower tier of canon, like the old model (supposedly canon until something with a higher level retcons it).

Sheev
You've gotta get the Legends tier system out of your head. There aren't any higher or lower forms of canon now.

So if a novel or comic book says one thing, it becomes true canon until some kind of newer material retcons it.

Darth Thor
^ You seem to have completely overlooked my points and jumped straight to my conclusion before making your rebuttal there.

Galan007
I mean, in Disney all forms of media are on equal footing in terms of canonicity. So novels, comics, games, TV shows, films, etc... They all hold the same level of authority. You mentioned the Ahsoka novel: yes, much of it was retconned years later by TCW S07 -- but that doesn't mean it wasn't "true" canon to begin with. Continuity is fluid, and is subject to change at any time, depending on the whims of the alleged "Story Group".

Anymore I just look at SW like I look at Marvel/DC comics: everything is canon until it is overtly contracted/retconned by more recent material(ie. the most recent information = the most canon information.) So for example, if a comic were released tomorrow stating that Superman has never actually been vulnerable to Kryptonite, and he's just been faking it all these years for the lulz... Then that would become the new "true" canon within DC.

Likewise, if a novel were published next month explaining that Dooku's entire fight with Yaddle wasn't actually real, and was just an illusion that Palpatine placed in his mind to test him or w/e... Then that would become the new "true" canon within SW.

IOW, everything is canon... Until it's not. /shrug

Darth Thor
Okay seems my entire point has been missed. Which to simplify is:

1) Can the movies be retconned? No.

2) Can novels and comics be retconned? Yes.

Ergo there is a ranking there no matter how many times Disney claims they are equally canon, thats clearly not the case.

Similarly seems to me that comics can over write source books but not the other way around. So again clear ranking.

Although tbf most the major retconning seems to have been done by Filoni 🤣🤣 so maybe its him who is the exception.

Galan007
Tbf, most comic/novel writers generally tend to weave their stories into existing canon, as to avoid causing any major retcons... Which is how it should be. That doesn't make them a "lesser" form of canon, though -- the events of Darth Vader #28, for example, are just as canon to the franchise as the films themselves.

But like you said, Filoni rarely gives a shit about anything outside of his own works. He just gets to do whatever the hell he wants.

Darth Thor
I suppose comics and novels include the likes of Son of Dathomir and Dark Disciple. So if those are 100% canon then no reason the other comics and novels shouldnt be.

Filonis problem is he cant help but retread the same event thats already been done. Like the Ahsoka novel and Kanans Order 66 story.

ares834
It is all canon though. The existence of retcons doesn't negate that.

It's not merely retconning. It's flat out ignoring. Like DT said, they aren't going to have a comic that ignores the film. It's no different then the various tiers of canon in the old EU.

Originally posted by Tzeentch
Can you give some examples of things that have been retconned? I don't know shit about Disney canon tbh.

The Ahsoka novel is the big one. The main plot of the book was completely changed. Between this and TCW is was pretty much erased from continuity. Other things that seemed to have been changed are smaller details like when Dooku left the order and the fact that he was not a member of the council.

Sheev
Surprised no one is talking about Dooku hand waving that ship out of the way.

NemeBro

1) Can the movies be retconned? No. Yes. thumb up

Eat shit.

NemeBro
Surprised no one is talking about Dooku hand waving that ship out of the way. Not everyone's a retard obsessed with versus debating anymore. thumb up

Darth Thor

juggernaut74
Surprised no one is talking about Dooku hand waving that ship out of the way. which episode was this? I don't recall seeing that.

Total Warrior
Dooku vs Yaddle

Darth Thor
Kinda thing you'd expect from Dooku tbh. Nothing like the s*** Vader was pulling in Kenobi. Or even Rey and Kylo in TROS.

Tzeentch
Speaking of retcons. As I never watched Rebels I had no idea Depa Billba was changed so much from her Shatterpoint characterization. A ***** ass Soresu practitioner? Generic "killed by her own Clones" O66 death? This BAD ***** was a Colonel Kurtz homage who fell to the dark side after fighting on space Vietnam for too long, and gave Mace a run for his money as a duelist, with him proclaiming that her mastery of vapaad had outpaced his own. How did she go from that to becoming the most generic Jedi character of all time? **** Dave Filoni.

Sheev
I wouldn't really call that a retcon, because you're talking legends vs. canon.

But she is pretty pathetic in canon. Same with Shaak Ti.

Bashar Teg
the very title of this series pissed me off. got excited because i thought it would be an adaptation instead of just taking the name for an irrelevant story. It was a comic series of short stories from long long before any skywalkers showed up, some long before yoda even showed up. i was like "YES! disney is finally going to detach the star wars universe from anakin's dick" and NOPE its just more skywanker shitshow. so glad they took all that time to clear up all the ridiculous tedious unresolved plot fragments from episode 2. i guess that retroactively makes ep2 a well written movie. what a waste of time

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
the very title of this series pissed me off. got excited because i thought it would be an adaptation instead of just taking the name for an irrelevant story. It was a comic series of short stories from long long before any skywalkers showed up, some long before yoda even showed up. i was like "YES! disney is finally going to detach the star wars universe from anakin's dick" and NOPE its just more skywanker shitshow. so glad they took all that time to clear up all the ridiculous tedious unresolved plot fragments from episode 2. i guess that retroactively makes ep2 a well written movie. what a waste of time

I mean I think this show is more on Ahsoka than Anakin, considering she has way more episodes. But to be expected since Dave was at the helm.

Though the title is irking, but moreso cause now the title is gonna be more remembered for the show than the comic series.

Darth Thor
Those old comics with Exar Kun right ? I used to have some, but actually completely forgot that was their title.

Legends is truly dead.

Zenwolf
Those old comics with Exar Kun right ? I used to have some, but actually completely forgot that was their title.

Legends is truly dead.

Along with Ulic-Qel Droma, Nomi Sunrider, Vodo Baas, Naga Sadow etc.

Nah it's never gonna really die, so long as people are around that know it.

Darth Thor

Yes I had them pre-TPM. So very old stuff.

We will be gone one day. Whereas Disney canon will go on forever.

Zenwolf

Total Warrior
Btw is the inquisitor Ahsoka kills the same one she defeats in her novel?

Darth Thor
Probably. That whole novel is just retconned though. Think the only thing that remains is how Sabers change colours.

StiltmanFTW

Yes I had them pre-TPM. So very old stuff.

We will be gone one day. Whereas Disney canon will go on forever.

We live in the era of digital preservation.

Legends comics are more than safe. Nothing dies on the web, not even Darth Thor's nudes.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Nothing dies on the web, not even Darth Thor's nudes.

Well those pics were an easy way for you to make money, so glad to help.

StiltmanFTW
Next photoshoot will be for free, my dear.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.