DING DONG The DCEU is DEAD

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BruceSkywalker
Seems James Gunn is rebooting the DC Universe.

Thoughts???

BruceSkywalker
James Gunn's own words...

https://deadline.com/2022/12/wonder-woman-3-patty-jenkins-james-gunn-responds-dc-1235193576/

Tzeentch
The odds were always against the DCU surviving Discovery's merger, but it seems obvious that WB was waiting to see how Shazam did before making a final decision to pull the plug (or alternatively, they decided a month ago to pull the plug but didn't want an announcement to kill hype for Shazam). Either way Shazam was the turning point for the franchise.

All in all, good riddance. Ezra Miller is box office poison, they waited too long between films and now Affleck is too old, 1984 was crap, BvS poisoned the well toward Cavill etc. This franchise had way too much of a ****ed up legacy to ever succeed past MoS. Put it out of its misery and start over with a fresh slate. The problem though is that WB still doesn't have enough patience. They need to wait at least a decade, long enough for the bad taste from DCU 1.0 to wash off, before trying to reboot the franchise, but I don't have confidence that they're capable of showing that restraint. The comic book movie industry is faltering right now from cape fatigue and zero hype post Endgame, and I have a feeling that WB is going to try to put out a new tentpole film right when no one gives a **** about Superhero movies anymore.

WB needs to follow Sony's gameplan and release small, standalone comic films. Low commitment, easy to digest. No convoluted multiverse shit.

Impediment
If this is true, then I support it 100%.

DC movies can be so much better than what they are now.

The current continuity is a swirling vortex of shit.

And can we PLEASE get a Superman villain other than Lex or ZOD?!

Jaden_3.0
Imagine quitting The Witcher to go back and do Superman again just to get that cancelled. Poor Henry.

Tzeentch
He got what he deserved frankly, I can't imagine ever put in your hopes in something like the DCU when you have a behind the scenes glimpse into how ****ed up Warner Bros-Discovery is right now.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Impediment

Agreed. They should have rebooted after Justice League flopped so bad. There was no point in just hanging on to failure, but they resisted all the way.

At least Gunn is cleaning the place up.

Originally posted by Jaden_3.0
Imagine quitting The Witcher to go back and do Superman again just to get that cancelled. Poor Henry.

That is a bit f***ed up announcing hes back, then announcing hes gone just weeks later.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Tzeentch
He got what he deserved frankly, I can't imagine ever put in your hopes in something like the DCU when you have a behind the scenes glimpse into how ****ed up Warner Bros-Discovery is right now. ha, I think he'll be the next Bond.

Old Man Whirly!

And can we PLEASE get a Superman villain other than Lex or ZOD?! oh yes, tbh, I'd like to see Braniac with a big budget or war world.

Lestov16
I think he should have waited until Shazam: Fury of The Gods came out before he announced this

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Lestov16
I think he should have waited until Shazam: Fury of The Gods came out before he announced this is the Flash still coming out?

riv6672
^^^Yeah, baby!

https://i.ibb.co/7GZrb6W/D8-B1-BDA9-1665-4-FEF-95-FC-0-AE66-E6-CF95-C.webp

One of the few bright spots of the SyFy Krypton program.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Lestov16
I think he should have waited until Shazam: Fury of The Gods came out before he announced this

To be fair it was a scoop. He didnt announce anything. But had to say something when the news was going around so just confirmed some of it was true and some things are undecided.

StiltmanFTW

Sure we can.

Toyman, Puzzler or Prankster laughing out loud

HulkIsHulk
Hopefully, they will release a Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman and Batman sequel. Plus, after Fury of gods, another movie with Shazam, Black Adam and Superman interacting from the beginning before they pull the plug. Silly of me, but all these characters had something good in them and thus deserves another time to shine before being scrapped.

StiltmanFTW
https://i.ibb.co/tDp1w12/31.jpg

Khazra Reborn
I read they want to keep Momoa around so he can play Lobo. That would be pretty awesome.

Jaden_3.0
Stupid thing is it's not the actors that need sacked. It's the writers. Cavill, Gadot and Momoa are good fits for their roles.

I'm not even sure Gunn is the right person to be rebooting the franchise either. Can't see him ditching his own work in The Suicide Squad so will he do another of those and bring in a new JLA through that avenue? He also seems like the kind of person who will interfere with what other directors want to do with the characters.

Guess it also means we'll never see any more Brightburn movies with him being tied up with DC/Warner Bros for the foreseeable.

riv6672
Stupid thing is it's not the actors that need sacked. It's the writers. Cavill, Gadot and Momoa are good fits for their roles.

^^^QFT

Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Sure we can.

Toyman, Puzzler or Prankster laughing out loud
^^^Jesse Eisenberg was basically playing Toyman or Prankster when he was supposed to be playing Lex Luthor.

WolvesofBabylon
I would keep Momoa, Cavill and Gadot (because I love her). You don't need to reboot the actors. If Miller could be replaced Flashpoint is the perfect way to reset

BruceSkywalker
Where is the DC folk like Zack and Playa????

playa1258
Waiting for a stronger DCU to emerge lol

Arachnid1

I'm not even sure Gunn is the right person to be rebooting the franchise either. Can't see him ditching his own work in The Suicide Squad so will he do another of those and bring in a new JLA through that avenue? He also seems like the kind of person who will interfere with what other directors want to do with the characters.

Guess it also means we'll never see any more Brightburn movies with him being tied up with DC/Warner Bros for the foreseeable. Agreed with Cavill but Momoa was Arthur in name only. They can definitely do a better Aquaman. Gadot wasn't bad, but could have also been better IMO.

I'm most excited about Flash being recasted. I'm a huge Flash fan, and what we got was pathetic.

Losing Cavill is rough though. On the other hand, maybe it means someone will actually do Lex right. I agree that I want other Supes villains portrayed (especially Braniac who's probably my favorite Supes villain after Lex), but the only good live action portrayal we've had of Lex was in Smallville (and he carried that show).

Jaden_3.0
Here's hoping they pick actors that don't end up embroiled in controversy this time.

Or maybe just go with an old skool romance movie..."The Courting of Flash and Mera"

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by playa1258

"DCU" already exists in comics.

Calling their feeble attempts to create a cinematic universe the same way is a guaranteed way to fail.

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by Arachnid1
Agreed with Cavill but Momoa was Arthur in name only. They can definitely do a better Aquaman. Gadot wasn't bad, but could have also been better IMO.

I'm most excited about Flash being recasted. I'm a huge Flash fan, and what we got was pathetic.

Losing Cavill is rough though. On the other hand, maybe it means someone will actually do Lex right. I agree that I want other Supes villains portrayed (especially Braniac who's probably my favorite Supes villain after Lex), but the only good live action portrayal we've had of Lex was in Smallville (and he carried that show).
What, no Jon Cryer Lex? He was pretty good too.

Brainiac aside, would love to see more Manchester Black myself; one that is portrayed well for a live action film.

Whatever happens far as any remaining cast, is what it is, rough as their exodus might be, but easy to see where James Gunn is come from.

And to be fair to Henry, he left the Witcher show not simply to go back to Superman, but because the writers of Witcher were shit and wanting to do their own thing instead of adhering to the source material, and Cavill happens to be a big Witcher fan which he did not approve of.

Kazenji
Originally posted by WolvesofBabylon
I would keep Momoa, Cavill and Gadot (because I love her). You don't need to reboot the actors. If Miller could be replaced Flashpoint is the perfect way to reset

Best way to go

get rid of Ezra Miller after Flashpoint.

Jaden_3.0
Might as well start the hypotheticals.

Pick your actors for the new versions of the DCEU bunch plus any additional DC characters and villains.

playa1258
Jacob Elordi for Superman.

BruceDisneyWalker as the CEO of Disney as the antagonist.

Jaden_3.0

Jaden_3.0
Elliot Page as Superman
Gabourey Sidibe as Wonder Woman
Wallace Shawn as Batman
Gilbert Gottfried as Lex Luthor
Shaq as Alfred
Dale Dickey as Lois Lane

cdtm
CGI Bill Murray as Iron Man.

Jaden_3.0
Wayne Bruce as Manbat

BruceSkywalker

yea but what about ya boy hack snyder???

playa1258
**** Snyder.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by WolvesofBabylon

Im guessing Gunn is thinking If its a full on reboot then they need to replace all the actors, otherwise the stench of the DCEU will still be looming over it.

A stench that didnt effect The Batman (for example), because recasting meant people got this had nothing to do with that.

And then theyll go on about how the first new 2 films have made more than Iron Man 1 and The Incredible Hulk.

**** Snyder.

Is what WB should have said after BvS. I dont even get why they gave him BvS shrug

NemeBro

Gilbert Gottfried as Lex Luthor Idk it'll be pretty hard to cast Gottfried considering he's currently in Hell.

Old Man Whirly!

Covino77

And Darkseid lol

Jaden_3.0
Originally posted by NemeBro
Idk it'll be pretty hard to cast Gottfried considering he's currently in Hell.

Tell that to Peter Cushing, Carrie Fisher, Paul Walker, Rob Schieder, Marlon Brando and Harold Ramis.

riv6672
Rob Schieder
^^^Rob Schieder?

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Covino77
And Darkseid lol

Have you not seen Zack Synders special extra long Justice League directors cut ?!

riv6672
Originally posted by Darth Thor
Have you not seen Zack Synders special extra long Justice League directors cut ?!
https://i.ibb.co/f9YYS1G/8-B987-ED1-969-E-41-D1-A72-F-06-A65-C690-D5-D.webp
He seemed a little anorexic, really; his outfit managed to look both way too busy and bland at the same time.

Jaden_3.0
Originally posted by riv6672
^^^Rob Schieder?

Roy

riv6672

BruceSkywalker
Cavill done

Kazenji
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
Cavill done

Just seen that

wonder if Cavill will get his Witcher job back.

Ridley_Prime
Unlikely.

Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
And to be fair to Henry, he left the Witcher show not simply to go back to Superman, but because the writers of Witcher were shit and wanting to do their own thing instead of adhering to the source material, and Cavill happens to be a big Witcher fan which he did not approve of.

Jaden_3.0
James Bond for him next then most likely if they don't go for Tom Hardy or, God forbid, Harry Styles.

Darth Thor
Think hed make a great Bond tbh.

Anyway this kinda confirms Gunn is rebooting the whole thing. About time tbh.

Gunn also confirmed hes been writing the new Superman.

Gunn cleaning house.

Impediment
Henry Cavill needs to go to the MCU and become Captain Britain.

Darth Thor
I think hed make a good Cyclops tbh.

BruceSkywalker
Henry Cavill needs to go to the MCU and become Captain Britain.

i also want him for dr. doom or sentry

Kazenji
Been hearing about the plans for Superman

They want to go with someone younger...but also at the same time it's not going to be a origin film.

Jaden_3.0
Originally posted by Kazenji

They want to go with someone younger...but also at the same time it's not going to be a origin film.

Could be a problem given most actors in their 20s are skinny, effeminate manlets and the traditional action star isn't really a thing with that age group.

NemeBro
Originally posted by Kazenji

They want to go with someone younger...but also at the same time it's not going to be a origin film. Hoping for a plainclothes thing like Grant Morrison's Action Comics in New 52 but probably won't happen.

Nemesis X
James Gunn also confirmed Matt Reeves' Batman won't be connected to his DC universe which means likely no sequel with Joker obviously the next antagonist. And with Snyder's DC stopped, Jared Leto's Joker also will be getting the boot so more silver lining.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Darth Thor
I think hed make a good Cyclops tbh.

His wooden acting makes him perfect for that role.

They are essentially the same character.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
His wooden acting makes him perfect for that role.

They are essentially the same character.

I guess the important thing here is, we both agree hes a good choice thumb up

Impediment

Darth Thor
Nah think hes just going for his first year as Superman like with Matt Reeves The Batman.

Could also have just been a justification as to why theyre not using Cavill.

Jaden_3.0
Apparently Cavill is going into doing a live action Warhammer.

Ridley_Prime
Yeah. Certainly didnt take long for him to find something else, but figured he would.

Guess the question now is what be next for Dwayne, since he and Henry apparently have the same agent which was how he was able to get him back as Superman before WB pulled the plug again.

His short-lived career as Black Adam is kinda unfortunate after how much he hyped it, but with the bland writing the film had, it wasnt gonna do all that well anyway.

Darth Thor
^ BA flopping might have been the last straw for WB before giving Gunn the green light for a full on reboot.

But yeah both actors will be fine. I wouldnt worry for them. Technically Cavill is still the Witcher too as hes playing him for Season 3. If he really wants im sure he could stay on for S4, but as you already pointed out he probably doesnt want that.

DC fans however would generally like something better than this DCEU. And the current version clearly isnt attracting a wider audience either.

Impediment
I bet Rock Johnson is crying in a corner now that his chances for Black Adam 2 are dead.

-Pr-
Apparently Cavill is going into doing a live action Warhammer.

Word is Amazon is buying a ****ton of rights to make Warhammer stuff, and Cavill has already confirmed he's executive producer on at least one show/movie. **** it, why not.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by -Pr-
Word is Amazon is buying a ****ton of rights to make Warhammer stuff, and Cavill has already confirmed he's executive producer on at least one show/movie. **** it, why not. God Emperor of Man?

-Pr-
Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
God Emperor of Man?

Could be. We won't know just yet. A lot of people want him to be Ciaphas Cain, but as the man himself is a massive Warhammer fan, I can't blame him if he decides he wants to play the Emperor.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by -Pr-
Could be. We won't know just yet. A lot of people want him to be Ciaphas Cain, but as the man himself is a massive Warhammer fan, I can't blame him if he decides he wants to play the Emperor. thumb up I do like Henry.

ares834
Amazon's record on adaptations is pretty bad. But the fact that Cavill is a big fan and is an EP of the show gives me hope.

Jaden_3.0
He was a fan of The Witcher too. Netflix didn't give a shit. Amazon will be even less inclined to.

Robtard
I really want a proper WH40K show.

Caville would also make a great Ultramarine.

For those of you for have hardons for Caville's good looks, imagine a 7.5 foot ultra-massively muscled Caville in power armor.

ares834
He was a fan of The Witcher too. Netflix didn't give a shit. Amazon will be even less inclined to.

Sure. But like I said, he's apparently an executive producer on this. Which should give him some level of control. But maybe I'm just lying to myself.

Robtard
Since Amazon secured the rights to all WH40K film, TV and video games, means they have the guy who created this gem under their employ as well. They'd be stupid not to use him.

O7hgjuFfn3A

Here's the same video with audio explanation, for the uninitiated: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrmJqY788Fc

Lestov16
Such a shame. I would have loved to see a Man of Steel 2, a Wonder Woman 3, a Batman with Ben Affleck, Andy Serkis, and J.K. Simmons, an Aquaman franchise (especially now with Namor being in the MCU), and a continuance of the Shazam/Black Adam franchise (which were both amazing films). Can't say that I will miss Peacemaker but I will miss Harley Quinn, Bloodsport, Waller, and the possibilities they had with the Suicide Squad.

IDK what's going to be next. I hope this doesn't effect the HBO MAX shows, because those are awesome..I hear they're recasting Cavill into some future role, possibly Ben Affleck as well, and I heard rumors of Jason Momoa being Lobo which is probably the best thing to come out of this although I will still miss his Aquaman (which was definitely a great movie on par with the first Thor film). I guess I'm just angry about Cavill. They brought him back just to fire him? WTF??? Oh well. We got a DC Cinematic Tabula Rasa so let's see where this goes. While the writing was all over the place, I loved the DCEU and I will sincerely miss it

StiltmanFTW
Masochist through and through, I see.

BruceSkywalker
IF what I read is true, then I understand why Cavill was fired.. also Momoa is done but he returns as Lobo

Arachnid1
Might as well start the hypotheticals.

Pick your actors for the new versions of the DCEU bunch plus any additional DC characters and villains. I think I've really only got big names tbh.

I've personally always wanted Jon Hamm as Batman. He'd have to put on some muscle and be de-aged a bit. Dude has the perfect voice/presence though, and he could pull off the billionaire playboy thing without issue.

I wouldn't mind Nikolaj Coster Waldau as Barry Allen (he'd have to be de-aged a bit too). He's blonde (more dirty blonde) like Barry and has the jaw to fill out the mask, is a great actor, and would shake the skinny jokester idiot speedster stereotype Wally popularized (I'm still not over what X-men did to Quicksilver). Barry doesn't act like that. Make Barry respectable, whoever he is.

Not sure where to go with Supes after Cavill.

If the rumors of them wanting a younger Supes is true, idk. I'd assume that applies to most of the JL then. All of my JL fancastings are older.

Darth Thor

carthage
The Rock confirms himself he's out as Black Adam

LOL

https://www.cbcyt.com/home/2022/12/20/the-rock-announces-hes-done-with-dc-movies?fbclid=IwAR3Pf7NTVxEILavdqH3kINuySDWzwTpKZ-GyIaFBD_M7kNzm9aj8YyF339A

Ridley_Prime
Pretty professional response. Taking it like a champ.

Darth Thor
^ Cavills response was still the most pro methinks. Given he waited around for years to get another chance, was told he had one, then told to F Off just weeks later.

Whereas The Rock should have slowly started to expect this as BA failed to make bank and Superman was confirmed getting rebooted.

Still gotta feel for him as he tried so long and so hard to get BA out there AND to get Cavill back in the role of Supes.

Estacado
The Rock was right...

"the hierarchy of power in the dc universe is about to change"...haermm

It only took Dwayne 1 movie to demolish the Dc Universe...biscuits

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Estacado
The Rock was right...

"the hierarchy of power in the dc universe is about to change"...haermm

It only took Dwayne 1 movie to demolish the Dc Universe...biscuits

laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud

BruceSkywalker
james gunn's new DCU.....

https://deadline.com/tag/dc-slate/

Patient_Leech
Give us Batgirl! It might be so bad it's good!!

playa1258
Superman:Legacy in July 2025.

MCU fans are already cutting themselves over feats.

StiltmanFTW
Nobody cares, you micropenis.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Give us Batgirl! It might be so bad it's good!!

https://www.joblo.com/batgirl-movie-dc-studios-peter-safran/

StiltmanFTW
You can't hurt what is already dead.

BruceSkywalker
im looking forward to the batfamily

Senor Cage
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/swamp-thing-james-mangold-in-talks-dc-movie-1235315500/

Hopefully he joins as director. Awesome fit.

ares834

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Senor Cage
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/swamp-thing-james-mangold-in-talks-dc-movie-1235315500/

Hopefully he joins as director. Awesome fit.

where have you been??? lolololololololol

Guy would've loved an Authority movie

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
where have you been??? lolololololololol

Probably hospitalized after DC's numerous failures.

Senor Cage
Authority for me. I don't know who I would choose as a director. Seeing as the head of WB met with Spielberg and Nolan, I'd choose Nolan to direct Authority.

Macklemore
Maybe Supergirl is the next film for DC?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.