Oscars 2023

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Patient_Leech

riv6672

Patient_Leech
Yeah, even though this isn't the official nominations, I'm going to start watching as many of these as I can to get a head start. At least some of the ones I've heard good things about.

Just watched The Fabelmans. It was good. More of a film for film buffs, though, and fans of Spielberg. I heard some of an interview on NPR a couple months ago with Spielberg about the movie. It was interesting. I may have to try to find it and give it another listen. Ah, this was probably it...

Fresh Air Weekend: Steven Spielberg; Black servicemen in WWII

Jaden_3.0
I've seen some of them.

Everything Everywhere all at Once was my favourite film of the year. I'd like to see Michelle Yeoh win best actress but she probably won't.

The Banshees of Inisherin was disappointing tbh. It's likely only getting a nod because of success of McDonagh's previous winner, Three Billboards...

All Quiet on the Western Front I found mostly boring frankly. Other foreign made war films over the years have been far more epic and far more harrowing. Brotherhood and City of Life and Death as examples.

Avatar will undoubtedly win the fx category but it never really excelled in anything else.

Top Gun Maverick was a great feel good movie but I don't think it'll win in any particular category.

Haven't seen the rest.

Oscar bait films are becoming increasingly irrelevant, box ticking exercises.

steverules_2
Wonder what Will Smith will get mhmm

Jaden_3.0
Cucked again, probably.

Kazenji
Of all those movies, I've only seen Everything Everywhere All at Once.

Bashar Teg
Originally posted by Jaden_3.0
Top Gun Maverick was a great feel good movie but I don't think it'll win in any particular category.

maybe best visual effects, best cinematography

riv6672

BruceSkywalker
i've seen few of these but not sure who'll win wat

Smurph
I think:

Best Actress: Michelle Yeoh
Best Actor: Colin Farrell
Best Supporting Actor: Ke Huy Quan
Best Supporting Actress: maybe Carey Mulligan?
Best Picture: idk, maybe the Fabelmans

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
maybe best visual effects, best cinematography Quite likely.

Patient_Leech
Ah, I think nominees will be announced tomorrow...

EW

Patient_Leech
Fu#k I can't get the link to work on mobile. Well anyway. Yeah, sounds like tomorrow.

Edit: (Nvm, just a strange url, got it to twerk)

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Fu#k I can't get the link to work on mobile. Well anyway. Yeah, sounds like tomorrow.

Edit: (Nvm, just a strange url, got it to twerk) Excellent!

Smurph
Originally posted by Smurph
I think:

Best Actress: Michelle Yeoh
Best Actor: Colin Farrell
Best Supporting Actor: Ke Huy Quan
Best Supporting Actress: maybe Carey Mulligan?
Best Picture: idk, maybe the Fabelmans forgot about Angela Bassett - that's my guess for Best Supporting Actress

Patient_Leech
So here are the Best Picture noms. I don't have the time to type em out right now...

Old Man Whirly!
So here are the Best Picture noms. I don't have the time to type em out right now...

Nothing unexpected tbh PL.

Patient_Leech
Yeah, I'm actually a little relieved that I don't have to sit through Wakanda Forever. That was going to be a drag. Unless I get pretty bored I probably won't bother with it.

So The Whale isn't good enough for a Best Picture nom? I generally like Darren Aronofsky, so I'm looking forward to it.

NemeBro
Ah I actually just bought the ebook of All Quiet on the Western Front and had no idea a movie came out recently. Maybe I'll read it next and then check out the movie if it's good.

Also the Oscars are for retards and child molesters.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by NemeBro
Also the Oscars are for retards and child molesters.

https://media.tenor.com/2FbDHafkjHkAAAAM/edgy-so.gif

Bashar Teg
needlessly edgy for sure, but i agree with the general point.

just a little reminder to everyone that goodfellas lost to dances with f*cking wolves. seriously f*ck the oscars i don't care who wins

Patient_Leech
Amusing silliness aside, Everything Everywhere All At Once was terrible. I'm kind of astonished that it has a Best Picture nom.

riv6672
Amusing silliness aside, Everything Everywhere All At Once was terrible. I'm kind of astonished that it has a Best Picture nom.
^^^Change that to Avatar the Water Park and I feel the same way.

Patient_Leech

Kazenji
My only gripe with Everything Everywhere All at Once is that it went on too long near the end, Could've wrapped it up sooner.

riv6672
^^^Everything Everywhere Much too Long?

Impediment
Fraser is a shoe-in.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Impediment
Fraser is a shoe-in.

Yeah, after seeing The Whale I think it will be insane if he doesn't win for that performance.

I actually think the movie is massively snubbed for not having a Best Pic nom, too. So it at least deserves the Best Actor win.

This is really cool...

hJH2EyvvEBA

Old Man Whirly!
Amusing silliness aside, Everything Everywhere All At Once was terrible. I'm kind of astonished that it has a Best Picture nom. thumb up spot on!

Jaden_3.0
You people are clearly all massive racists against the Chinese. Only explanation.

Old Man Whirly!
You people are clearly all massive racists against the Chinese. Only explanation. laughing out loud

Patient_Leech
I just don't take kindly to mocking high-concept sci-fi.

I'm a big Matrix fan, and maybe it was meant as sort of an homage? But it didn't work.

I checked out probably about halfway through and just forced myself to finish. Just to see the train wreck.

Old Man Whirly!
I just don't take kindly to mocking high-concept sci-fi.

I'm a big Matrix fan, and maybe it was meant as sort of an homage? But it didn't work.

I checked out probably about halfway through and just forced myself to finish. Just to see the train wreck. it was stitty, but not anything else for me. I don't thinking it was mocking as much as a satirical homage, borrowing from the one, matrix and too many other films and TV shows to mention.

Patient_Leech
I almost forgot... Thirteen Lives was totally snubbed this year...

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=681662& amp;highlight=title%3A%28Thirteen+Lives%29+forumid
%3A2

Patient_Leech
I watched Tar. I didn't particularly care for it. It's more of a slow character study instead of an actual movie. Kate Blanchett is good, of course (I've always like her), but it didn't deserve a best pic nom..

5-6/10

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0057/3728/3618/products/tar_510x.jpg

Patient_Leech

Patient_Leech
Women Talking - 8/10

Patient_Leech
EO (2022)

Donkey movie. The donkey deserves a nomination for Best Actor. (This is a best international film nominee).

https://pad.mymovies.it/filmclub/2022/04/165/locandina.jpg

Patient_Leech
I gave a half-assed attempt to watch some of The Quiet Girl. It might get more interesting, but I think I'm starting to get a little burnt out on watching Oscar films.

I still want to try to watch Living with Bill Nighy.

Patient_Leech
Living was actually surprisingly charming. After the first 10 min or so I was afraid it was going to be painfully boring, but it got much better. Great performance from the Nighy.

Patient_Leech
Watched Blonde.

I confess to not really knowing didley squat about Marilyn Monroe. I enjoyed the movie, at least for Ana de Armas' performance. She's incredible in the film. She carries it. The film itself is not great, though. It's a tough watch. She has daddy issues and that's pretty much the entire film. I give it a 7/10, but that's honestly just for her performance. And she's topless several times.

After the movie I looked up some of her real life and it seems the movie (and novel) does take great artistic liberties with the truth, but it's at least based on reality and rumor.

BackFire
It seems like Everyything Everywhere... is a shoe in for best picture. Personally, it didn't really do it for me. I thought it was a fun and original movie but I didn't love it.

I really liked Banshees.

But really I'm only interested in the best actor race this year. Having been hearing tons of praise for Fraser, i was kind of expecting it to be hyperbole based on nostalgia people have for him and the films of his form the 90's that they enjoyed, but having now seen The Whale I'm rooting very hard for him. He's truly incredible in that film and elevates it beyond what it otherwise would have been. The fact that he was able to elicit such emotions and give such a nuanced and powerful and human performance while so limited in his movements because of the character's situation was just so impressive to me. Also the way he captures all the little things that living in such a way would certainly include, like the constant heavy, labored breathing, and every movement he makes seeming like such a struggle. Just incredible stuff.

Jaden_3.0
Originally posted by BackFire
It seems like Everyything Everywhere... is a shoe in for best picture. Personally, it didn't really do it for me. I thought it was a fun and original movie but I didn't love it.

I really liked Banshees.

But really I'm only interested in the best actor race this year. Having been hearing tons of praise for Fraser, i was kind of expecting it to be hyperbole based on nostalgia people have for him and the films of his form the 90's that they enjoyed, but having now seen The Whale I'm rooting very hard for him. He's truly incredible in that film and elevates it beyond what it otherwise would have been. The fact that he was able to elicit such emotions and give such a nuanced and powerful and human performance while so limited in his movements because of the character's situation was just so impressive to me. Also the way he captures all the little things that living in such a way would certainly include, like the constant heavy, labored breathing, and every movement he makes seeming like such a struggle. Just incredible stuff.

Agreed. Plus the awards he's won already and the speeches he's given show him to be truly humble and incredibly grateful towards the fans that have been pressuring studios to bring him back to the fore.

TCNim6BQWoI?feature=share

BackFire
Yeah, by all accounts he's a great guy. I'd honestly be pulling for him even if I didn't think his performance warranted the win, just because how nice he seems. But since he absolutely does deserve to win on the merits of the performance alone, it's an easy thing to root for.

Patient_Leech
Agreed. Hoping for Fraser to win. And I also didn't like Everything Everywhere... it didn't work for me at all. Honestly it's the worst Best Pic nominee to me, so I'll be annoyed if it wins.

I actually re-watched Banshees of Inisherin to show my wife. It's even better the second time.

Jaden_3.0
Fraser won 👍

Everything Everywhere all at Once doing extremely well with Best Director, Best Actress, Supporting Actor and Actress, Editing, Original Screenplay.

Will it get Best picture though?

Jaden_3.0
Yes it will.

Good stuff.

Let's not forget the main thing about this year's Oscars.

That once again, I'm right and you bunch of loser degenerates are wrong.

Kazenji
I seen from Sir Roger Deakins, He thinks The Batman should've been nominated Best cinematography.

Impediment

ares834
Good for Brendan. Didn't see the Whale, but I'm happy for him.

riv6672
Good for the Whale. Didn't see Brendan, but I'm happy for him.

Old Man Whirly!

Old Man Whirly!
Top Gun was the best film of the year, but Cruise is tainted. In some ways sad because he is probably the most successful actor of all time.

Myth
I loved Everything Everywhere All At Once, but I still did not predict it winning all of these awards. I mostly viewed it as an entertaining movie with a little heart.

Patient_Leech
Fraser won 👍

Everything Everywhere all at Once doing extremely well with Best Director, Best Actress, Supporting Actor and Actress, Editing, Original Screenplay.

Will it get Best picture though?

Fuc#in' ridiculous. That movie barely deserved a nomination, let alone so many wins. But I saw it coming.

But other than that I was pretty pleased with the outcomes. Glad Fraser won, much deserved.

Jimmy Kimmel nailed it. He was great poking fun at the slap and he even brought out the donkey. So much win there.

Robtard
Was glad Fraser won best actor, he deserved it with his broken-man performance.

EEAAO wining nigh everything else I didn't care for. But I also don't care too much about the Oscars.

Jaden_3.0
Fuc#in' ridiculous. That movie barely deserved a nomination, let alone so many wins. But I saw it coming.

Kreye moare, phagutt. Lelz.

Best film of last year followed by Top Gun.

Robtard
I did enjoy seeing Short Round hugging Doctor Jones on stage.

Patient_Leech
All Quiet on the Western Front won some stuff so that pleased me.

It was the best picture in my opinion. At least it won Best International picture.

I just don't think EEAAO should have gotten best director AND best picture. Ridiculous. F#cking mess of a filum.

And Banshees not winning anything is ridiculous.

Kazenji

I just don't think EEAAO should have gotten best director AND best picture. Ridiculous. F#cking mess of a filum.

Lol..it wasn't a mess of a film

but whatever its okay to be different.

Patient_Leech
Sowwy, Kaz.

Ev-wee-won is entitled to their opinion.

It just didn't work for me.

It's weird because the first few years that I really followed the Oscars pretty closely were the years that 12 Years A Slave, Birdman, and Spotlight won. So I got the (false) impression that a winner should be a pretty flawlessly crafted, solidly compelling film. And I guess sometimes the winners are, like The Shape of Water, Green Book, and Parasite (as some of the recent ones), but sometimes they come out of left field and just don't work for me. Moonlight was another one that didn't work for me at all. It really had no plot whatsoever.

I do give EEAAO some credit for trying something a little different and being experimental, but it really just comes across as a mockery/spoof of better sci-fi.

ares834
EEAAO is basically a Rick and Morty movie but without the nihilism.

I liked the message, but found the "lol random" humor completely obnoxious. It was fine for the first part but over two hours of that shit is too much.

Patient_Leech
^ Right, exactly.

Which is why a Best Picture win is bonkers to me.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.