Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

UPEVIL
Can anybody tell me if there's a possible explanation of the number 2 in TM1?
When Trinity contacted Neo for the first time, he press the ESC key twice, then Choi knocks Neo's door twice, Neo tells him that he's 2 hours late, Choi gave Neo 2 grand and Neos door # is 101 (1+1=2).

Can this be just a coincidence? Or is there any meaning for this? Any ideas?

Ushgarak
The significance most people see in 101 is that it is binary for 5.

Sifer
I'm trying to link 9:18 to something. That is the time on Neo's clock when he is late for work. It is definately something in the Bible - gonna search and see.

As to the 101 thing you mentioned m8, it won't be a coincidence smile

The Omega

SpikeSpiegel
Yeah I've just read that the password Trinity typed in was ZION101 which as 101 is binary for 5 would be zion 5 could this mean that zion has been destroyed 5 times for each of the 1's or what. Now this is interesting stuff.

GWilloB
I would suspect that the brosW or anyone else making an even smaller movie to play with "coincidences" knowing that true freaks like us would look...They could have hired someone & I seriously doubt that they would NOT incorporate religion in some ways within the movie...Heck--you could probably make a religion from this movie if you wanted to (actually sick as it sounds undoubtedly someone will)...Perhaps the brosW's religion is agnosticism, but if it is---What is the purpose of making this movie? Just to make money? I think the consensus would point out that most of this trilogy is "religious & philosophical" ...Good vs. Bad...Oppressor vs. Oppressed...It touches base on a lot of inner questions we all have about our own lives, our direction, & purpose...Are we somehow enslaved?...Whether they would admit it or not--- they believe in something

darkstar
There are many religious references in both M1 and M2. They incorporate a lot of christianity and buddism as well as others. I do agree with "The Omega" though

Although 101, which is also the number of the Merovigians restaurant, is binary for 5 and this is the 5th Matrix.

314 May be Pi, because the Matrix is moving in a constant circle.

I dunno if you've noticed, but 23 adds to make 7 (2+3) and 16 adds to make 7 (1+6). this could be used as 7 is a magickal number used for many different things.

But alas (lol) for 303 and 27, I havent yet found a theory. sad smile

Sifer
I apologise, I know they aren't religious, and I should have pointed out that it may not just be in one bible for one religion. It could be referring to any religious text etc.

And yes, everything does have a purpose smile

UPEVIL
I've always look at this number (101) as a 5 also, and never noticed the way number 2 is mention repetitive in this only scene. And I'm pretty sure it means something.

The 9:18.. that number it also appears in the neo's call log at the end of the movie.
I don't know about any other religions that the W. brothers are using, but he Nebuchadnezzar plate has "Mark III No. 11" and that make clear reference to the bible book... my point is, the Bible has a lot to do with The Matrix, therefore Christianity will be the first religion or model I will relate all this.

Spike: What password are you referring to? Where did she typed this password? That's interesting!

Thanks everyone for answering, all of your opinions help me a lot to understand a little more.

Later!

SpikeSpiegel
i think it said when she was turning off the back up power supply.

Sifer
Try looking at Daniel Chapter 2 verse 3.

The licence plate of the car in Reloaded (the one trinity is driving in the car chase scene) is:

DA0203

zoomonkey
ummm....2+3=5 not 7.

Daniel 2:3," he said 'I have had a dream that troubles me. Tell me what I dreamed , for i must know what it means." this is king Nebuchadnezzar talking to his soothsayers about a dream he had. He can't remeber it and asks them to tel him what it is and what it meant. They have no idea. Daniel later goes to the king, in 2:24-45 to tell him what it means. 2:28"But there is a God in heaven who reveals secrets, and he has shown King Neb what will happen in the future." He later tells him all about his dream. The king saw a huge statue of a man. The statue was then nocked down by a huge rock and crushed to dust and spread like dust in the wind. The rock went on to create a great mountain that covered the earth.

In Wakowski terms I think we can assume that the statue is human civilization and the rock is machine. Machine crushed man and went on to rule the earth. Good tie in if you ask me.

Mark 3:2 makes no sense though.
"Since it was the Sabbath, Jesus' enemies watched Him closely. Would He heal the man's hands on the Sabbath? If He did they planned to condemn Him." I really don't understand how this could tie to the Matrix.

Some one asked about 9:18. I dug around in my Bible and found several that could be used if you tried hard enough. 2Kings 9:18, 2 Chronicles 9:18, Daniel 9:18, Revelations 9:18 and some others. The ones that stood out though were Psalms 9:18 and Ecclesiastes 9:18.

Psalms 9:18 "For the needy will not be forgotten forever; the hopes of the poor will not always be crushed."

Ecclesiastes 9:18 "A wise person can overcome the weapons of war, but one sinner can destroy much that is good."

I like Ecclesiastes the best. Really ties in well with the themes from M1. Neo knows (he is wise) he can dodge bullets, but Cypher (a sinner) can ruin it all.

Take it all how you will.

I think there was a verse refferance on the twins truck too, but don't remeber it.

Steven

UPEVIL
Zoomonkey, Thank you for sharing your interpretation with us, they are very... very interesting! I liked the Ecclesiastes 9:18.

The one you didn't understand is actually Mark 3:11, read it and it will make a lot of sense.

Later!

SpikeSpiegel
Could where it says "Would He heal the man's hands" mean something about bane, we saw him cutting his hands with that knife just before trying to kill Neo.

UPEVIL
I personally believe that it was Mark 3:11 and not Mark 3:2. So I don't believe that verse has anything to do with the Matrix (Would He heal the man's hands)

But I don't know why he cut his hand... that I didn't understand, any ideas why?

darkstar
Ok, I've found both passages, so let the public choose which fits themselves.

Mark 3:2 -

or

Mark 3:11 -

I favour the first, as many people are expecting Neo to fail as they do not believe in "The One".
And because of this many people are watching, waiting to see what happened.

Member.
maybe that guy was just nervous.

SpikeSpiegel
hmmmmmm...bane has the evil spirit of smith in him

darkstar
It's not that Bane was cutting himself because he was evil, he was in awe at the sensation of pain, and how easily hurt the human form is. Don't forget that Smith could never feel that before, and now, from within Bane, he can

UPEVIL
Darkstar: That makes completely sense, he's trying to experience what does it feel to be a human... and probably why pain is a necessity for us... thanks for sharing that man!

Moosh
Agents = angels
Smith = fallen agent
Fallen angel = Anti-christ
Anti-christ = Devil
Bane is possessed by the devil, who is represented by Smith. I think him cutting his hand is just showing that he is possessed. In ETM you see him cutting another line into his hand, so the number of lines has no significance in my opinion.

hodgie723
If you look at the Nebuchadnezzar sign in The MAtrix closely.. you will see that Mark 3:11 is on there. Who ever sais that the W bros are not religious does not know any thing about The Matrix.

Sifer
They aren't religious, they are just VERY, VERY Knowledgable and very intelligent people.

UPEVIL
I agree with Sifer, but I also believe that the movie has a lot of religious representation involve, and that I don't believe can be denied.
This movie was created with the intention to show the people that we might be wrong in our believes, to open our minds. And to do that they applied their knowledge, believes and influences.
They're Gods!!!

UPEVIL
101 not only appears in the Merovigians restaurant.
Also the freeway number is 101, you can see this number in a sign when Trinity and Morpheus are going to access the freeway.

neo_dragon
101 is 5, three is 11. 1,2,4,8,16.... binary sequence.

The Omega

zoomonkey
omega, good point about 1984. very good observation.

nEo1266
Wasnt there like a dvd on the phylasosrpsdofaoisdfjasdfical(sp(lol) thingies of da matreix?

zoomonkey
dude there is a spell check for messages.

Crash_Overload
Okay,
I heard that chapter 9 vs 18 of the bible says : "I follow wherever you go" or something like that. He just came back from Following the white rabbit, ALSO he is making people follow him in a way, now that he knows he is the one.

Crash_Overload
What about 101 in the bible? like ch 10 vs 1 or ch 1 vs 01. Could there be an explaination there? I will check as to all the possibilities. (see ya in a while)

Crash_Overload
SORRY i meant MArk 8:19 not chap 9 vs 18.

Crash_Overload
Okay on my search for chap 10 vs 1 I found a lot of interesting stuff.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Judges
10:1 And after Abimelech there arose to save Israel Tola
the son of Puah, the son of Dodo, a man of Issachar;
and he dwelt in Shamir in the hill-country of Ephraim.

We see 101 When they go see Mero, and in ETM we learn that he sometimes "dewls" in his Castle in the Mountains.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 Kings
10:1 And when the queen of Sheba heard of the fame of Solomon
concerning the name of Jehovah,
she came to prove him with hard questions.

The Queen of Sheba can be said to be Either Trinity (as seen in Dective Story she also goes by the name of red Queen) or Perisphone. I would go for trinity because when He is contacted by her in his aprtment (101) she well "asked him" to follow the white rabbit. And when she meet him in the rave dance bar, she did in fact give him hard questions.
Daniel
10:1 In the third year of Cyrus king of Persia
a thing was revealed unto Daniel,
whose name was called Belteshazzar;
and the thing was true,
even a great warfare: and he understood the thing,
and had understanding of the vision.

Vision = Prophacy, also this might lead us to beleive that somthing happened with the 3rd The One.
Hebrews
10:1 For the law having a shadow of the good things
to come, not the very image of the things, can never with
the same sacrifices year by year, which they offer continually,
make perfect them that draw nigh.

This is the most solid passage I have found. Shadow of good things can be interpreted as what was ounce thought of as good, will end up to bad, or the good has changed. We thought at first that Neo will save Zion, yet we now know that he might od doomed it.

The same Sacrafices year by year, for 5 years Neo has chosen to rebuild mankind.

To make perfect that draw nigh, each time the Matrix reboots, The Architech makes the matrix more beleivable in the code like that less ppl think this is not real.

That is all I could find that was even a bit relevent to the question of 101 or 10:1

believer2517
Since the flavour for the 101 reference is binary it could be

ch2 v1
ch1 v1

i'll give it a look.

Crash_Overload
I just thought about this, 101 is binairy for 5, what happens in the Bible with 5?

Sifer
It doesn't just have to relate to the Bible - it could be historical or any other religious text - even books or movies etc. But remember, there have been 5 other Anomalies - 101 = 5 smile AND the date of the next film is on the 5th.

believer2517
thrue not every number has to do with some interdimensional cross reference to something in the many religious texts around. a date of personal significance to the W bros.

UPEVIL
Yeah not everything is related to the bible...

Yeah that's right! on 11/05 (101/05) another anomaly big grin

Crash_Overload
Hey I like the thing about 101 = 5, and has BEEN 5 anomalies, even I did not think about that. But what about the 101 near Mero?

The Omega
Why go to so much trouble. I'll repeat myself

Room 101 was the place in George Orwell's novel 1984 where people were sent to be tortured and would end up believing something that wasn't real.

Crash_Overload
OOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh. ditto. I have to re-read.

UPEVIL
Omega, the 101 number is the most repetitive number in both movies Neo's room, Mero Restaurant, Freeway number... Do you thing is only a reference to a room number in a book? I believe this number may have not only one specific meaning.

Also Depeche Mode has an album called 101 smile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.