Question...??

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

chica16
Ok, I have read LOTR but I'm no expert, and one of my friends is furious because she said in the movie TTT, they are refering to the wrong two towers??? I don't understand does anyone else know what she's talking about?? Orthanc and Barad-dur ... what other towers would they be talking about??

Danistar
They should be Orthank and Minas Morgul wink . I've read it in the book right now wink . So , that's true wink .

turin
Well i dont know what towers tolkien was refering to but i always though it was the struggle between baradur and the white tower of Ecthelion. but then again in that book it doesnt really cover either of those towers, so who knows!?!?

fini
Well actaully the book is ,Of course, open to interpretation but i think that the Title Two Towers dont really have anything to do much with Othanc and Bara-dur but with the showing the dealing between Saruman and Sauron, who live the respective buildings......

AND PLEASE no one ask where they Got "Return of the King", from.......as in the book this is gonna be revealed in the middle to the end.

chica16
how did they come up with fellowship of the ring as the title as the first? lol j/k

fini
GYAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
lol

muse5
They are Cirith Ungol and Orthanc, i think i heard that in that National Geographic DVD that you get with the extended edition box for FoTR,

billyboyd4ever
cirith ungol isnt a tower, its the pass that gollum/smeagol leads frodo + sam into. thats where shelob's lair is...
i always got the impression that "the two towers" was refering to barad-dur and orthanc because the main evil figures in that book are undoubtably saruman and sauron, and i think it is also refering to those 2 because of the palantir which connects the 2 towers, showing a sort of unification between them

lotrlover7000
I heard it was the two towers of teeth connecting the black gate

Smllfry247
what? teeth?

fini
FFS people read the book and u'll see WHY THEY named it the two towers

chica16
fini you're so mean listen IN THE MOVIE THEY'RE REFERING TO THE WRONG TWO TOWERS we're merely discussing this

silentfaf
I have always thought they meant orthanc and barad dur cause there the two towers of the two greatset threats and they r joined and i still think its barad dur and orthanc

Cleopatra
Have you even read the Book silentfaf?

FreeMason
It should be Orthanc and Barad-Dur...as the 2nd book is about the union between these two towers...

After all, only two towers refer to any political structure in the books, Barad-dur, the bad guys...and Orthanc...the good guys...the white city represents Gondor, and the old days...and so on...nothing else actually represents any political structure.

Orthanc is supposed to represent the side of good, but that's never really gone into...

And I'm sure the Director who has researched this FAR longer than any of us...would not make a mistake like that...he is careful what he has to leave out and change....and I'm sure..heartbroken.

*EDIT* Orthanc can also represent the folly of power...Orthanc is after all, Saruman's alter-ego.

Notice all the wizards run around in the wilds like animals...Saruman wasn't content with this, he established a huge fortress, and gathered workers to serve him from all around...this was of course while everyone thought he was the uber-good guy...

But the Gods knew what they were doing putting him into power...and after all, Saruman did ruin Sauron's plans.

Exa
Tolkien never liked the title so much;
but then he decided that the Two Towers should be Orthanc and Minas Morgul (no, not Barad-dur like in the film... but as PJ cut minas morgul, that wouldntve made much sense...), the Black and the White tower.

Hegemon875
Believe it or not Tolkien named the book the two towers before actually deciding what two towers he was refering to, but eventually decided on Orthanc and Minas Morgul.

Joseph_Kerr
Then again.. you could interpret the Two Towers as Frodo and Sam wink

billyboyd4ever
haha rite...i think not
i recently reread the books and it makes sense that it mite be minas morgul...tho my 2nd guess would still be barad-dur

Exa
Tolkien says that it were Minas Morgul and Orthanc in a letter to some guy who produced the books...
He also painted covers for the books and on that picture, there are definitely minas morgul (with nazgul, white walls, nine rings and so on) and orthanc (with key, black).

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.