KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » Question...??

Question...??
Started by: chica16

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
chica16
chica

Miffed Question...??

Ok, I have read LOTR but I'm no expert, and one of my friends is furious because she said in the movie TTT, they are refering to the wrong two towers??? I don't understand does anyone else know what she's talking about?? Orthanc and Barad-dur ... what other towers would they be talking about??

the crownless again shall be king.

Old Post Aug 1st, 2003 05:57 AM
chica16 is currently offline Click here to Send chica16 a Private Message Find more posts by chica16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Danistar
Eowyn & Faramir forever!!

They should be Orthank and Minas Morgul wink . I've read it in the book right now wink . So , that's true wink .

'Oh you won't need ink.' said professor Umbridge, with the merest suggestion of a laugh in her voice.
EXTRA LESSONS WITH SNAPE -what on earth had he done to deserve this?
Amazing, how much more difficult it was to extend his arm tvelve inches and touch her hand than it was to snatch a speeding Snitch from midair.
There are more qoutes in my profile.

Old Post Aug 1st, 2003 07:43 AM
Danistar is currently offline Click here to Send Danistar a Private Message Find more posts by Danistar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
turin

Well i dont know what towers tolkien was refering to but i always though it was the struggle between baradur and the white tower of Ecthelion. but then again in that book it doesnt really cover either of those towers, so who knows!?!?

and filled with wrath and despair he mounted upon Rochallor his great horse and rode forth alone, and none might restrain him. He passed over Dor-nu-Fauglith like a wind amid the dust, and all that beheld his onset fled in amaze, thinking that Oromë himself was come: for a great madness of rage was upon him, so that his eyes shone like the eyes of the Valar.

Old Post Aug 1st, 2003 02:19 PM
turin is currently offline Click here to Send turin a Private Message Find more posts by turin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
fini
Hurricane stalker

Well actaully the book is ,Of course, open to interpretation but i think that the Title Two Towers dont really have anything to do much with Othanc and Bara-dur but with the showing the dealing between Saruman and Sauron, who live the respective buildings......

AND PLEASE no one ask where they Got "Return of the King", from.......as in the book this is gonna be revealed in the middle to the end.

Thank you god for the blessing me with Chanel.
She is back with you now, so take care of her

Old Post Aug 1st, 2003 03:18 PM
fini is currently offline Click here to Send fini a Private Message Find more posts by fini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chica16
chica

how did they come up with fellowship of the ring as the title as the first? lol j/k

Old Post Aug 1st, 2003 04:04 PM
chica16 is currently offline Click here to Send chica16 a Private Message Find more posts by chica16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
fini
Hurricane stalker

GYAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
lol

Old Post Aug 1st, 2003 04:24 PM
fini is currently offline Click here to Send fini a Private Message Find more posts by fini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
muse5
Fool of a Took

They are Cirith Ungol and Orthanc, i think i heard that in that National Geographic DVD that you get with the extended edition box for FoTR,

A time to gain, a time to lose
A time to rend, a time to sew
A time to love, a time to hate
A time for peace, I swear it’s not too late

Old Post Aug 4th, 2003 12:47 AM
muse5 is currently offline Click here to Send muse5 a Private Message Find more posts by muse5 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
billyboyd4ever
Diamond of Long Cleeve

cirith ungol isnt a tower, its the pass that gollum/smeagol leads frodo + sam into. thats where shelob's lair is...
i always got the impression that "the two towers" was refering to barad-dur and orthanc because the main evil figures in that book are undoubtably saruman and sauron, and i think it is also refering to those 2 because of the palantir which connects the 2 towers, showing a sort of unification between them

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens." - J.R.R. Tolkien

*sigh* I've missed you guys.. smile

Old Post Aug 5th, 2003 03:51 AM
billyboyd4ever is currently offline Click here to Send billyboyd4ever a Private Message Find more posts by billyboyd4ever Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lotrlover7000

I heard it was the two towers of teeth connecting the black gate

Old Post Aug 5th, 2003 02:35 PM
lotrlover7000 is currently offline Click here to Send lotrlover7000 a Private Message Find more posts by lotrlover7000 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smllfry247
Queen of the Universe!

what? teeth?

Frodo: I cant do this, Sam.
Sam: I know. Its all wrong. By rights we shouldnt be here...but we are. Its like in the great srories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of Darkness andanger, they were, and sometimes you didnt want to know the end because how could the end be happy. How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad happened... but in the end its only a passing thing. The Shadow even darkness will pass. A new day WILL come. And when the sun shines it will shine out clearer. Those are the stories that stay with you and meant something. Even if you were too small to understand why. But, I think, Mr. Frodo, i do understand... iknow now. Folk in those stories have a lot of chances to turn back, but they didnt. They kept going because they were holding on to something!
FRODO: What are we holding onto, Sam?
Sam: That theres some good in this world, Mr Frodo and its worth fighting for.

Old Post Aug 5th, 2003 02:51 PM
Smllfry247 is currently offline Click here to Send Smllfry247 a Private Message Find more posts by Smllfry247 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
fini
Hurricane stalker

FFS people read the book and u'll see WHY THEY named it the two towers

Old Post Aug 5th, 2003 03:09 PM
chica16
chica

fini you're so mean listen IN THE MOVIE THEY'RE REFERING TO THE WRONG TWO TOWERS we're merely discussing this

Old Post Aug 6th, 2003 12:29 AM
silentfaf
Vengance

I have always thought they meant orthanc and barad dur cause there the two towers of the two greatset threats and they r joined and i still think its barad dur and orthanc

Old Post Aug 6th, 2003 09:25 PM
silentfaf is currently offline Click here to Send silentfaf a Private Message Find more posts by silentfaf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cleopatra
Call me Cleo

Have you even read the Book silentfaf?

Old Post Aug 6th, 2003 10:18 PM
Cleopatra is currently offline Click here to Send Cleopatra a Private Message Find more posts by Cleopatra Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FreeMason

It should be Orthanc and Barad-Dur...as the 2nd book is about the union between these two towers...

After all, only two towers refer to any political structure in the books, Barad-dur, the bad guys...and Orthanc...the good guys...the white city represents Gondor, and the old days...and so on...nothing else actually represents any political structure.

Orthanc is supposed to represent the side of good, but that's never really gone into...

And I'm sure the Director who has researched this FAR longer than any of us...would not make a mistake like that...he is careful what he has to leave out and change....and I'm sure..heartbroken.

*EDIT* Orthanc can also represent the folly of power...Orthanc is after all, Saruman's alter-ego.

Notice all the wizards run around in the wilds like animals...Saruman wasn't content with this, he established a huge fortress, and gathered workers to serve him from all around...this was of course while everyone thought he was the uber-good guy...

But the Gods knew what they were doing putting him into power...and after all, Saruman did ruin Sauron's plans.

Last edited by FreeMason on Sep 28th, 2003 at 04:20 AM

Old Post Sep 28th, 2003 04:17 AM
FreeMason is currently offline Click here to Send FreeMason a Private Message Find more posts by FreeMason Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

Tolkien never liked the title so much;
but then he decided that the Two Towers should be Orthanc and Minas Morgul (no, not Barad-dur like in the film... but as PJ cut minas morgul, that wouldntve made much sense...), the Black and the White tower.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2003 08:22 PM
Exabyte is currently offline Click here to Send Exabyte a Private Message Find more posts by Exabyte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hegemon875
Archvillain

Believe it or not Tolkien named the book the two towers before actually deciding what two towers he was refering to, but eventually decided on Orthanc and Minas Morgul.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2003 01:49 AM
Hegemon875 is currently offline Click here to Send Hegemon875 a Private Message Find more posts by Hegemon875 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Joseph_Kerr

Then again.. you could interpret the Two Towers as Frodo and Sam wink

Old Post Sep 29th, 2003 07:27 AM
Joseph_Kerr is currently offline Click here to Send Joseph_Kerr a Private Message Find more posts by Joseph_Kerr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
billyboyd4ever
Diamond of Long Cleeve

haha rite...i think not
i recently reread the books and it makes sense that it mite be minas morgul...tho my 2nd guess would still be barad-dur

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens." - J.R.R. Tolkien

*sigh* I've missed you guys.. smile

Old Post Sep 29th, 2003 11:29 PM
billyboyd4ever is currently offline Click here to Send billyboyd4ever a Private Message Find more posts by billyboyd4ever Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

Tolkien says that it were Minas Morgul and Orthanc in a letter to some guy who produced the books...
He also painted covers for the books and on that picture, there are definitely minas morgul (with nazgul, white walls, nine rings and so on) and orthanc (with key, black).

Old Post Sep 30th, 2003 11:12 AM
Exabyte is currently offline Click here to Send Exabyte a Private Message Find more posts by Exabyte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote