KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Movie Versus Forum » The Last of the Mohicans vs The Last Samurai

The Last of the Mohicans vs The Last Samurai
Started by: Nightstick

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Nightstick

The Last of the Mohicans vs The Last Samurai

Multiple scenarios. Note the version of "The Last of the Mohicans" in use is the one that stared Daniel Day-Lewis

1) Chingachgook vs Katsumoto. In the arena from "Gladiator". Chingachgook gets his club and knife. Katsumoto gets his dual swords. Katsumoto is in his robes not in his armor and Chingachgook is in the clothes he wore threw out the movie?

2) Nathan Algren vs Nathanial Poe. Same arena. Algren in robes wielding his dual swords. Poe in normal attire with his tomahawk and knife?

3) Chingachgook, Uncas, and Poe vs Katsumoto, Nabutada, and Algren. In the woods from the begining of "Gladiator" begining a hundred meters apart. Hidden from view of each other. With standered weapons and gear. So Algren and Katsumoto have their armor and swords, Nabutado has his armor, swords, and bow. The Mohicans have their axes/clubs, knives, guns, and well clothes?

Old Post Jul 29th, 2009 06:05 AM
Nightstick is currently offline Click here to Send Nightstick a Private Message Find more posts by Nightstick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

Chingachgook was the older Mohican, right?

All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you wanna look, I **** like you wanna ****, I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Old Post Jul 29th, 2009 09:39 AM
Rogue Jedi is currently offline Click here to Send Rogue Jedi a Private Message Find more posts by Rogue Jedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kaibs
Oh Miley.

The Samurai win because of sheer skill alone. Samurai were way more well trained than the Mohicans

Have you lost your mind? Tell me where you think we crossed the line. No more drugs for me, pussy and religion is all I need.

Old Post Jul 29th, 2009 01:05 PM
Kaibs is currently offline Click here to Send Kaibs a Private Message Find more posts by Kaibs Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Martin

Where's Ujio?

Old Post Jul 29th, 2009 01:16 PM
Darth Martin is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Martin a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Martin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

Kinda split on this one.

All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you wanna look, I **** like you wanna ****, I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Old Post Jul 29th, 2009 02:01 PM
Rogue Jedi is currently offline Click here to Send Rogue Jedi a Private Message Find more posts by Rogue Jedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

The Last Of The Mohicans is a better film, certainly.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Jul 29th, 2009 02:32 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

No doubt on that.

Old Post Jul 29th, 2009 02:40 PM
Quincy
Debaser

Team Samurai takes the victory the tourney. The Mohicans are much more savage and wild, their fighting styles less refined. They win most of their fights throughout the films through ambush, and wild confusion. The Samurai's fighting abilities in the film were ridiculous, with Nathan Algren taking out multiple people at once, their fighting is too refined.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
No doubt on that.

I disagree.

Sig by Scribble

Old Post Jul 29th, 2009 03:37 PM
Quincy is currently offline Click here to Send Quincy a Private Message Find more posts by Quincy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Re: The Last of the Mohicans vs The Last Samurai

Originally posted by Nightstick
Multiple scenarios. Note the version of "The Last of the Mohicans" in use is the one that stared Daniel Day-Lewis

1) Chingachgook vs Katsumoto. In the arena from "Gladiator". Chingachgook gets his club and knife. Katsumoto gets his dual swords. Katsumoto is in his robes not in his armor and Chingachgook is in the clothes he wore threw out the movie?

2) Nathan Algren vs Nathanial Poe. Same arena. Algren in robes wielding his dual swords. Poe in normal attire with his tomahawk and knife?

3) Chingachgook, Uncas, and Poe vs Katsumoto, Nabutada, and Algren. In the woods from the begining of "Gladiator" begining a hundred meters apart. Hidden from view of each other. With standered weapons and gear. So Algren and Katsumoto have their armor and swords, Nabutado has his armor, swords, and bow. The Mohicans have their axes/clubs, knives, guns, and well clothes?

Not fully sure on 1 and 3, but I'll take Hawkeye (especially this version) over Algren anyday.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Jul 29th, 2009 03:39 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Samurai are skilled warriors which was shown in the film..

Team Samurai takes it

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Jul 29th, 2009 07:14 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

1) I don't know, that rolling Indian rear attack was pretty bad-ass, the Samurai wouldn't be expecting that. Probably Samurai though.

2) Tom Cruz just looked like a turd in this film, I'd go with the white-Indian, as he's had far more training with his weapons.

3) The Indians surely win, they're in their element and they have a gun advantage.

Also, Magua should be in this, he was one of the better fighters.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Last edited by Robtard on Jul 29th, 2009 at 11:27 PM

Old Post Jul 29th, 2009 11:20 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

Gonna go with the injuns. And yeah, Magua should definitely be here.

Old Post Jul 29th, 2009 11:24 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
Gonna go with the injuns. And yeah, Magua should definitely be here.

Also, Dude, 'injun' is not the preferred nomenclature. Native-American, please.

Old Post Jul 29th, 2009 11:34 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

Funny, I was watching that just now.

Old Post Jul 30th, 2009 12:05 AM
Nightstick

Originally posted by Quincy
Team Samurai takes the victory the tourney. The Mohicans are much more savage and wild, their fighting styles less refined. They win most of their fights throughout the films through ambush, and wild confusion. The Samurai's fighting abilities in the film were ridiculous, with Nathan Algren taking out multiple people at once, their fighting is too refined.

Actually the Mohicans/Native Americans had martial arts forms of their own. Including those that incorperate knife and tomahawk. In other words both groups had fighting styles that had been developed over hundreds/thousands of years. Not to mention refined doesn't always win the day. Their are lots of cases in real life where brawler kicks the tar out of Karateka's and the like. The Mohicans took on multiple opponent in head on fights several times in the movie. It just didn't take as long to get threw them as the Samurai.

Old Post Jul 30th, 2009 04:57 AM
Nightstick is currently offline Click here to Send Nightstick a Private Message Find more posts by Nightstick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kaibs
Oh Miley.

Originally posted by Nightstick
Actually the Mohicans/Native Americans had martial arts forms of their own. Including those that incorperate knife and tomahawk. In other words both groups had fighting styles that had been developed over hundreds/thousands of years. Not to mention refined doesn't always win the day. Their are lots of cases in real life where brawler kicks the tar out of Karateka's and the like. The Mohicans took on multiple opponent in head on fights several times in the movie. It just didn't take as long to get threw them as the Samurai.

Dude if you're seriously trying to say that the Mohicans trained as much as the Samurai you're insane... the Samurai's training started since they were young, and they were formed to fight and fight only.

Have you lost your mind? Tell me where you think we crossed the line. No more drugs for me, pussy and religion is all I need.

Old Post Jul 30th, 2009 12:57 PM
Kaibs is currently offline Click here to Send Kaibs a Private Message Find more posts by Kaibs Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quincy
Debaser

Originally posted by Robtard
2) Tom Cruz just looked like a turd in this film, I'd go with the white-Indian, as he's had far more training with his weapons.

I dont know about that man. I mean, Algren was a Captain level soldier, and a born warrior essentially. Able to take out 4 men who ambushed him, starting off with no weapon. It'd be hard to take out a samurai with two swords with not but a tomahawk and knife. Especially in a place with no cover and everything.

Sig by Scribble

Old Post Jul 30th, 2009 01:08 PM
Quincy is currently offline Click here to Send Quincy a Private Message Find more posts by Quincy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Quincy
I dont know about that man. I mean, Algren was a Captain level soldier, and a born warrior essentially. Able to take out 4 men who ambushed him, starting off with no weapon. It'd be hard to take out a samurai with two swords with not but a tomahawk and knife. Especially in a place with no cover and everything.

Give Algren his sabre or pistol, I'd give him a great chance. With a katana though, something he's had relatively little training in(he was ackward with in on screen), I'd go with Poe.

Poe also has the range advantage, as he can throw either tomohack or knife, if need be.

Last edited by Robtard on Jul 30th, 2009 at 04:48 PM

Old Post Jul 30th, 2009 04:44 PM
Quincy
Debaser

Originally posted by Robtard
Give Algren his sabre or pistol, I'd give him a great chance. With a katana though, something he's had relatively little training in(he was ackward with in on screen), I'd go with Poe.

Poe also has the range advantage, as he can throw either tomohack or knife, if need be.

Well if you mean he was awkward with it up against a fully trained Samurai before he even started his training, thats a bit unfair to say - as he's not fighting at that level now. He showed enough proficency to disarm and slay 4 attacking assassins starting unarmed. Taking out the Ninja Assassins back in Katsumoto's village was no small feat either.

As for the Range, He would only really have to dodge Costner's weapons once, and he's shown dodging Arrows in his opening battle against the Samurai, as well as Shuriken.

Sig by Scribble

Old Post Jul 30th, 2009 06:50 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Just watched the ninja scene; still saying Algren isn't as impressive as Poe. Though my initial assessment of Algren was a bit unfair.

Masumoto, Ujio and a few of the others did a whole lot of bad-assery though.

Edit: I forgot how much ridiculous damage Algren can take and survive, he wins on that alone.

Last edited by Robtard on Jul 30th, 2009 at 08:55 PM

Old Post Jul 30th, 2009 08:41 PM