KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Movie Versus Forum » Most buffed up actor to play a superhero

Most buffed up actor to play a superhero
Started by: FrothByte

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
FrothByte
Nailcutter Massacre

Most buffed up actor to play a superhero

We know that most of the actors playing superheroes in movie try to get bulked up for their roles. So who among them got bulked up the most?

Nicholas Cage as Ghost Rider?
Hugh Jackman as Wolverine?
Chris Hemsworth as Thor?
Chris Evans as human torch/captain america?
Wesley Snipes as Blade?

Feel free to interject other super hero movie characters here. Heroes only please.

Old Post May 24th, 2011 02:22 PM
FrothByte is currently offline Click here to Send FrothByte a Private Message Find more posts by FrothByte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Riot-Gear

I'm thinking Tobey Maguire. Not only did he bulk up an impressive amount for the first movie, but then he dropped it all and then some to be in "Seabiscuit". Though Christian Bale going from "Equilibrium" to the "Machinist", to "Batman Begins" was also impressive.

Not a super hero or an actor, but Linda Hamilton's transformation between "Terminator" and T2 rates up their as well.

Old Post May 24th, 2011 03:52 PM
Riot-Gear is currently offline Click here to Send Riot-Gear a Private Message Find more posts by Riot-Gear Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Martin

Christian Bale in Batman Begins.

Old Post May 24th, 2011 07:03 PM
Darth Martin is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Martin a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Martin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Riot-Gear

To finish my thought on Tobey Maguire, much like Bale going from the "Machinist" to "Batman Begins", Maguires transformation between "Seabiscuit" and "Spiderman 2" was impressive. More impressive perhaps then just his bulking up for "Spiderman" 1.

Old Post May 24th, 2011 09:28 PM
Riot-Gear is currently offline Click here to Send Riot-Gear a Private Message Find more posts by Riot-Gear Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Riot-Gear
Not a super hero or an actor, but Linda Hamilton's transformation between "Terminator" and T2 rates up their as well.

No contest. Only reason she doesn't win it is because she didn't play a superhero, but she was so ****ing badass and intense she makes Punisher look like a sissy.

Many thanks to Rao Kal-EL Da Man

Old Post May 24th, 2011 09:34 PM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
siriuswriter

Bale's "Machinist" to "Batman Begins." I can't even look at him at times in "The Machinist," he looks like some alien life form, not even a human being.

Hugh Jackman should get some credit, though. He is that ripped in everyday life, although he did get even bigger for Wolverine. But it just wasn't as much loss and then gain of poundage, as Bale did.

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Last edited by siriuswriter on May 24th, 2011 at 10:03 PM

Old Post May 24th, 2011 10:00 PM
siriuswriter is currently offline Click here to Send siriuswriter a Private Message Find more posts by siriuswriter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Riot-Gear
To finish my thought on Tobey Maguire, much like Bale going from the "Machinist" to "Batman Begins",

I'd agree...It was a huge transformation between those films and it was only a relatively short period of time between the filming of them...What's even more impressive is that Bale bulked up even more and had to lose a fair bit of excess before BB could begin filming.

(please log in to view the image)

Another honourable mention although not playing a superhero is Vincent Reagan in 300....He was apparently one of the most dedicated people the trainers from Gym Jones had ever seen. Transformation below only took 8 weeks.

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post May 24th, 2011 10:08 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
marwash22
HELL YEAH.

Vinnie Jones in X-Men: The Last Stand. shifty

Old Post May 24th, 2011 10:12 PM
marwash22 is currently offline Click here to Send marwash22 a Private Message Find more posts by marwash22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
marwash22
HELL YEAH.

Ben Foster did actually bulk up for X3.

Old Post May 24th, 2011 10:15 PM
marwash22 is currently offline Click here to Send marwash22 a Private Message Find more posts by marwash22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

Originally posted by Darth Martin
Christian Bale in Batman Begins.

yeah i was going to sat Christian Bale should be listed in there.Tobey Mcguire? come on,he was in shape no doubt but he was hardly buff like those others.so far I would have to say its a tie between Hemsworth and Bale.

Old Post May 24th, 2011 10:17 PM
Mr Parker is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Parker a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Parker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

Originally posted by Mr Parker
so far I would have to say its a tie between Hemsworth and Bale.

thumb up

Many thanks to Rao Kal-EL Da Man

Old Post May 24th, 2011 10:35 PM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

Chris Evans looks pretty buff as Cap.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post May 24th, 2011 11:33 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Originally posted by Impediment
Chris Evans looks pretty buff as Cap.

yeah he does..

what about tom hardy...

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post May 24th, 2011 11:59 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Nicholas Cage as Ghost Rider? laughing

don't really need to bulk up for that character.

Old Post May 25th, 2011 04:41 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Johnny Demonic

Billy Zane beefed up to play The Phantom.

Old Post May 26th, 2011 07:28 AM
Johnny Demonic is currently offline Click here to Send Johnny Demonic a Private Message Find more posts by Johnny Demonic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Kazenji
Nicholas Cage as Ghost Rider? laughing

don't really need to bulk up for that character.

Exactly. thumb up

I have come to think that I'm the only one that watches "making of" and featurettes.

There's also the fact that he did NOT buff up, at all, for that character.

They did a CGI trick to swap his head onto another body. It's in the making of.

Old Post May 26th, 2011 07:34 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by dadudemon

I have come to think that I'm the only one that watches "making of" and featurettes.

I'm another one that watches 'Making Of' featurettes for movies too

cept i have'nt watched the one for Ghost Rider movie since i don't own it.

Old Post May 26th, 2011 08:17 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Kazenji
I'm another one that watches 'Making Of' featurettes for movies too

cept i have'nt watched the one for Ghost Rider movie since i don't own it.

Yeah, there's a short list of people that watch those bonus features. Most of the time, most people only watch the bonus features for movies they like rather than most to all they watch. I watch them out of respect for the "art" I just viewed.

Old Post May 26th, 2011 08:21 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FrothByte
Nailcutter Massacre

Most of us watch the movies in the theatre.

Maybe I need to correct my original post. It's not about who was able to make the biggest change to his body... I was pretty much more concerned on asking who was in the best shape physically when they played the super hero.

Old Post May 26th, 2011 10:29 AM
FrothByte is currently offline Click here to Send FrothByte a Private Message Find more posts by FrothByte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by FrothByte
Most of us watch the movies in the theatre.

Maybe I need to correct my original post. It's not about who was able to make the biggest change to his body... I was pretty much more concerned on asking who was in the best shape physically when they played the super hero.

Your title an OP says "most buffed up" meaning, which one got into the best shape and added the most muscle.

Being "buff" is both muscle and lack of body fat. If you just want "muscle", then that's "beefy" or a "hoss."

Ripped is really lean.

Shredded is an extreme state of being lean or "ripped."

And a monster/muscle freak is being huge and shredded (or ripped).

Case-in-point:
Jason Statham = Buff
Dwayne Johnson in Fast 5 is a monster as he's huge and ripped.

I'm not even kidding when I say these are common terms used in the body building community.

Old Post May 26th, 2011 10:35 AM