KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Movie Versus Forum » Worst Characters to Feature in Versus Threads

Worst Characters to Feature in Versus Threads
Started by: John Murdoch

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
John Murdoch

Worst Characters to Feature in Versus Threads

I only joined KMC Forums at the end of last year, but I've looked over the past few years of forums with the most views and/or replies, plus I'm sure we've all noticed some recent trends with the current plethora of "Bane vs >insert character here<" threads.

The purpose of this thread is to discuss what characters are the worst to put in a vs thread. I don't mean the character that would be beaten the easiest, I mean what characters are too abstract, don't have enough feats, get hyped too much, etc.

For example, an h1a8 backed Bane vs a Quan backed Khan could potentially crash the server for our fair forum here at KMC.

Any other candidates?

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: Everyone have a nice day, including h1 and Quan cool

Old Post Jun 19th, 2017 07:28 PM
John Murdoch is currently offline Click here to Send John Murdoch a Private Message Find more posts by John Murdoch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well it's like you said, abstracts, people who don't have enough feats, etc.

For example I don't think all of the "Endless" have feats, though they are all said to be immensely powerful.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2017 07:32 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
John Murdoch

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Surtur
Well it's like you said, abstracts, people who don't have enough feats, etc.

For example I don't think all of the "Endless" have feats, though they are all said to be immensely powerful.

Ya the obvious ones like Odin, Thanos from MCU. Origins in another form of media, but haven't really shown too much (Odin) or anything yet (Thanos).

For example, I was thinking more like a Harry Potter kinda character: no experience of combat outside of their universe's specialty (dueling/multiple opponent magic).

Old Post Jun 19th, 2017 07:39 PM
John Murdoch is currently offline Click here to Send John Murdoch a Private Message Find more posts by John Murdoch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Well, three characters that I think are problem characters in debates are Hancock, Dr Manhattan and Dormammu. And the issue is that we have no real idea of what their limits are, especially with regards to what it would actually take to hurt/defeat them.

For example, Hancock was portrayed as virtually invulnerable unless he had prolonged exposure to Mary. But we don't know if he genuinely is invulnerable, or if it is simply a case of needing someone on a higher power level to do the job.

Similar with Dr Manhattan. He was pretty much god-like in his universe, but he was also the only legitimate full-blown superhuman in his universe, so no one else really posed a threat.

And Dormammu had to get trolled by Strange into leaving, so we don't actually know of he can be defeated through sheer raw power.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2017 07:48 PM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Inhuman
|||||||||||||||||

Bane is a bad character for the VS. forums because people want to seem to defend Bane based on what he 'Should" be capable of more than what is "shown" in the actual movie.

So it becomes an argument based on the Bane's lore or implied/assumed skills and specs.
What is actually shown is that Bane is a slow not so skilled brawler that was bested by an over-the-hill, slow and not so skilled Batman.

So its hard to give Bane a win vs anyone that is highly skilled because of Bane's movie feats.

Same goes for Baleman.

Last edited by Inhuman on Jun 19th, 2017 at 07:59 PM

Old Post Jun 19th, 2017 07:49 PM
Inhuman is currently offline Click here to Send Inhuman a Private Message Find more posts by Inhuman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Solid47

Baleman, Miyagi, McClane and any character backed by Dexx.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2017 07:51 PM
Solid47 is currently offline Click here to Send Solid47 a Private Message Find more posts by Solid47 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FrothByte
Nailcutter Massacre

Fox QS, Adam West Batman and Reeve Superman are all also too OP for vs. matches. I've also found Dr. Strange with time stone very hard to debate on.

I've also had such a headache when debating against characters who have both live action and cartoon counterparts. For example, Star Wars characters. Because the cartoon counterparts are almost always a lot more powerful than their live movie versions, and it makes it very hard to gauge what they can and can't do.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2017 08:01 PM
FrothByte is currently offline Click here to Send FrothByte a Private Message Find more posts by FrothByte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

It's almost pointless to argue for characters that use intelligence rather than power to defeat their enemies. Lex Luthor in his various incarnations, Zemo etc even though they've arguably done better against their opponents than many super powered adversaries.

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Jun 19th, 2017 08:01 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
John Murdoch

Thanks for all the responses guys. All are great examples so far, IMO.

Originally posted by FrothByte
Fox QS, Adam West Batman and Reeve Superman are all also too OP for vs. matches. I've also found Dr. Strange with time stone very hard to debate on.

I've also had such a headache when debating against characters who have both live action and cartoon counterparts. For example, Star Wars characters. Because the cartoon counterparts are almost always a lot more powerful than their live movie versions, and it makes it very hard to gauge what they can and can't do.

Yep I was going to mention Star Wars Sith and Jedi specifically as well, Froth. The cartoon vs movie feats issue, plus the ability to TK means that they should insta-kill/KO about any foe barring someone that is just really uber (e.g., Superman) or has anti-TK abilities (e.g., another Force user).

Old Post Jun 19th, 2017 10:08 PM
John Murdoch

Originally posted by Inhuman
Bane is a bad character for the VS. forums because people want to seem to defend Bane based on what he 'Should" be capable of more than what is "shown" in the actual movie.

So it becomes an argument based on the Bane's lore or implied/assumed skills and specs.
What is actually shown is that Bane is a slow not so skilled brawler that was bested by an over-the-hill, slow and not so skilled Batman.

So its hard to give Bane a win vs anyone that is highly skilled because of Bane's movie feats.

Same goes for Baleman.

Ya Bane and Baleman come to mind. Really great trilogy with really great characters, but not good for vs fights unless

A) everyone properly debates according to the MvF screen feats only rule, and
B) the stipulations are set up in a very specific manner. Making a thread that simply asks, "Baleman vs >insert character here< who wins?" = Baleman losing a lot of matches.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2017 10:11 PM
FrothByte
Nailcutter Massacre

Originally posted by John Murdoch
Thanks for all the responses guys. All are great examples so far, IMO.

Yep I was going to mention Star Wars Sith and Jedi specifically as well, Froth. The cartoon vs movie feats issue, plus the ability to TK means that they should insta-kill/KO about any foe barring someone that is just really uber (e.g., Superman) or has anti-TK abilities (e.g., another Force user).

Yeah, it's a pain to debate with Jedi or Sith simply because it's assumed that:

1. Lightsaber will cut through anything
2. Force TK means insta-choke/neck snap
3. Force precog means force user never gets hit
4. Force TK means anyone without flight is levitated and held in the air while said force user proceeds to carve them up with lightsabers

And it's hard to debate like this because these force users have never been shown to always fight like this, yet they do have feats suggesting they can.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2017 10:12 PM
FrothByte is currently offline Click here to Send FrothByte a Private Message Find more posts by FrothByte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
John Murdoch

Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
Well, three characters that I think are problem characters in debates are Hancock, Dr Manhattan and Dormammu. And the issue is that we have no real idea of what their limits are, especially with regards to what it would actually take to hurt/defeat them.

Agreed here with Hancock and Dormammu, but Jon Osterman might indeed be the character who is the WORST for a vs fight because of the reasons you listed Vault.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2017 10:13 PM
Silent Master

Bane and Baleman are fine for vs threads, as they have plenty of feats. they're just not good for winning vs fights, as their feats suck.

I don't know why some of you are going on about being right and winning. Rob and Impediment were in on this gag because I PMed them. Silent and Rao PMed me and figured I changed the post. I highly doubt anybody thought Quan made the post, but simply played along just for the lulz.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2017 10:23 PM
Silent Master is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Master a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FrothByte
Nailcutter Massacre

On a different note, at least no movie character I know of is as frustrating to debate against as trying to debate with batman fans regarding comicbook Batman. I've had comicbook fans tell me that Batman can defeat living Tribunal as long as he has prep time.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2017 10:25 PM
John Murdoch

On a different note, at least no movie character I know of is as frustrating to debate against as trying to debate with batman fans regarding comicbook Batman. I've had comicbook fans tell me that Batman can defeat living Tribunal as long as he has prep time.

Hahahahahahaha, don't know what to say to that.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2017 10:27 PM
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

I've had comicbook fans tell me that Batman can defeat living Tribunal as long as he has prep time.

(please log in to view the image)

May all your dreams come true - except for one.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2017 11:02 PM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Originally posted by Inhuman

Same goes for Baleman.
It's rather easy to defend Bane using just his feats, as long as you don't try to do it against people like Captain America.

For example, he'd beat Ivan Drago and Batman in BvS in a fight without much trouble. thumb up

Old Post Jun 19th, 2017 11:57 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Originally posted by Solid47
Baleman, Miyagi, McClane and any character backed by Dexx.

Then why do you keep making threads featuring those characters?

Seriously, you are essentially feeding the troll and then complaining when it comes back for more.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2017 06:51 AM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master

They're working together.

I don't know why some of you are going on about being right and winning. Rob and Impediment were in on this gag because I PMed them. Silent and Rao PMed me and figured I changed the post. I highly doubt anybody thought Quan made the post, but simply played along just for the lulz.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2017 06:57 AM
Silent Master is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Master a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Henry_Pym
Ultron Bound

You guys are thinking to intelligently, we have tards who post versus battles with characters who are in movies that haven't even come out yet.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2017 07:24 AM
Henry_Pym is currently offline Click here to Send Henry_Pym a Private Message Find more posts by Henry_Pym Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote