KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Kangaroo's

Kangaroo's
Started by: mechmoggy

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
mechmoggy
Northern Monkey

Kangaroo's

Watching "have I got news for you" last night and heard the funniest thing: -

On discovering Australia, Cpt Cook started to explore with the help of an aborigine man. On seeing a kangaroo Cook said, "what's that?" and the aborigine replied, "kangaroo". And so the creature was named.

However the aboriginal word "kangaroo" roughly translates as "I don't know"!!!! Don't know how true that is but it definitely should be.

Old Post Aug 21st, 2001 12:33 PM
mechmoggy is currently offline Click here to Send mechmoggy a Private Message Find more posts by mechmoggy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

Sounds more than feasible...

Old Post Aug 21st, 2001 12:40 PM
Ratcat is currently offline Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Supa
Mysterious Grey

hehe.. I heard a joke once.. it doesn't translate into english well since it's a norwegian joke about a norwegian family, not well versed in english, who go to a zoo. when the kid in the family asks what that animal is, the father replies "that animal is dangerous" (only when you say "dangerous" in plain norwegian it sounds silly, right finti?). And so on it goes with the whole meat-eater section of the zoo...

Old Post Aug 21st, 2001 12:41 PM
Supa is currently offline Click here to Send Supa a Private Message Find more posts by Supa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

I dont know this joke so I have no idea what you are talking about Supa.
Why do we say CPT Cook discovered Australia. What about the aboriginees who already lived there? Doesnt they count.
Same things go for America. big grin

Old Post Aug 21st, 2001 03:04 PM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KJ
Sausages

There are lots of stories like that.
The national flower of Scotland is a "Thistle".

When the King was looking for a flower for an emblem to represent the country he went up into the Highlands with a local man. The man was ordered to find an unusual flower or he'd be thrown in jail. He saw a weird looking thing and said "this'll do".
The King thought he said "Thistle" and that how it was named.

Old Post Aug 21st, 2001 03:26 PM
KJ is currently offline Click here to Send KJ a Private Message Find more posts by KJ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dim
Creativity

Hehehe..that is funny.

As for the whole "discovering" idea. I don't think anyone (intelligent) says that Columbus "discovered" America anymore..

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2001 03:57 AM
Dim is currently offline Click here to Send Dim a Private Message Find more posts by Dim Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

Well, he did discover it on behalf of the English, the fact that a thriving civilisation was already living there did seem to escape people back then... sad

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2001 07:38 AM
Ratcat is currently offline Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mechmoggy
Northern Monkey

You can't say that a red indian suddenley woke up, looked around himself/herself and said, "wow, I've discovered America". Of coarse Columbus discovered it for us Brits - a modern day equiv would be... say trying to find your way around Walsal's one way system without an A-Z. stick out tongue

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2001 12:30 PM
mechmoggy is currently offline Click here to Send mechmoggy a Private Message Find more posts by mechmoggy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Supa
Mysterious Grey

Ok history/anthropology buffs, here's your chance to take it away... Would you say the native Indians of America were Asian in origin?

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2001 12:45 PM
Supa is currently offline Click here to Send Supa a Private Message Find more posts by Supa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mah
J-type 327 Nubian

Tongue

Leiv Eriksson, the viking, discovered America.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2001 01:28 PM
mah is currently offline Click here to Send mah a Private Message Find more posts by mah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Supa
Mysterious Grey

Yeah I agree there, all us Norwegians dosmile

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2001 01:31 PM
queeq
Chaos

National freaks. laughing out loud

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2001 01:56 PM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dim
Creativity

Actually RC..I would say that Columbus "discovered" the Americas on behalf of Spain. As far as European "discovery" the vikings were in North America first.

As far as Native American Origin..there is supposed to be alot of Asian genetic contributions but I don't think they were the only people to come over. They say that there were probably alot of paths of migration to the Americas by various peoples.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2001 02:26 PM
Dim is currently offline Click here to Send Dim a Private Message Find more posts by Dim Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Probably from Australia actually.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2001 02:29 PM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KJ
Sausages

Weren't Native Americans called Indians because Columbous thought he had landed in India?

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2001 03:50 PM
KJ is currently offline Click here to Send KJ a Private Message Find more posts by KJ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

Actually Dim, I thought the Vikings landed at L'Anse aux Meadows in Canada. You are quite correct regarding the Spanish link, my apologies.

I beleave he was Italian by birth, born in 1451 and moving to Spain in 1485.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2001 05:20 PM
Raz
Meister

Admin

KJ you're right, Columbus did set out for India but discovered America instead.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2001 06:02 PM
Raz is currently offline Click here to Send Raz a Private Message Find more posts by Raz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

About the Kangaroo thing. I learned that Kangaroo meant "You can't pronounce it." in reply to Cook's question. Of course these people knew what a Kangaroo was. The real name for a Kangaroo in Aboriginese was and is "Woolloomoolloo". Try pronouncing that! big grin

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2001 06:26 PM
Raz
Meister

Admin

Heres what I found on the word Kangaroo:

quote:
A widely-held belief has it that the word kangaroo comes from an Australian Aboriginal word meaning “I don't know.” This is in fact untrue. The word was first recorded in 1770 by Captain James Cook, when he landed to make repairs along the northeast coast of Australia. In 1820, one Captain Phillip K. King recorded a different word for the animal, written “mee-nuah.” As a result, it was assumed that Captain Cook had been mistaken, and the myth grew up that what he had heard was a word meaning “I don't know” (presumably as the answer to a question in English that had not been understood). Recent linguistic fieldwork, however, has confirmed the existence of a word gangurru in the northeast Aboriginal language of Guugu Yimidhirr, referring to a species of kangaroo. What Captain King heard may have been their word minha, meaning “edible animal.”

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2001 06:42 PM
Raz is currently offline Click here to Send Raz a Private Message Find more posts by Raz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dim
Creativity

RC, why are you saying "actually". I said North America. Did I need to be more specific? New Foundland then..or maybe it was Labrador... laughing out loud

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2001 08:01 PM