KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Enterprise - Star Trek gets back on course

Enterprise - Star Trek gets back on course
Started by: Ratcat

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ratcat

Enterprise - Star Trek gets back on course

OK, I see the original thread we had on this one go closed. Anyway, I wanted to comment on the series now that I have seen some episodes.

101/102 Broken Bow Pt1 & Pt2
The premiere episode was outstanding. I would go as far as to say the BEST premiere Star Trek has ever managed to field.

This is a new kind of Star Trek. The ship interior is much closer in style to a present day Nuclear Sub that the ships of the 24th Century. Paramnount had their work cut out for them as they had to produce a ship that was clearly technologically less superior than Captains Kirks ship, but at the same time Special effects and design improvements within the industry clearly make for a better looking set. They have achieved this and, in the process, brought back life to what was a dieing franchise.

As with the ship interior, the have much more in common with the modern day Navy than their conterparts of the future. The uniforms manage to include small elements of design that fans will recognise from TNG/DS9&VOY without loosing site of the fact that they are only supposed to be 150 years into our future.

This is definately Star Trek for the new Millennium. If you didn't like TNG/DS9orVOY, don't let that put you off of this series. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Scott Backula is outstanding as Captain Archer and the rest of the supporting crew are great too. There were some minor element of the acting that seemed false, but I put this down to the newness of their parts. By the 3rd Episode (104) they seem to have ironed that out.

One thing people might pick up on is the makeup of the Klingons. The sets and makeup for the Klingon people are those as seen in TNG, etc. But as Worf said in Trials and Tribble-ations, they dn't like to talk about that....

Last edited by Ratcat on Oct 13th, 2001 at 01:25 PM

Old Post Oct 13th, 2001 01:04 PM
Ratcat is currently offline Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

103 Fight or Flight

The second episode, or third if you count the premiere as two. This one is a little weak because it is primarily a character driven episode.

We get to know some of the characters a little more, such as Doctor Phlox and Ensign Hoshi Sato. The story is sound, though a little shallow.

The story of a vessel with all aboaurd killed, with a sub0story of what to do with a sick slug (I kid you not).

This is all really about Ensign Hoshi Sato and how she is aclimatising to life abourd a starship.

Old Post Oct 13th, 2001 01:10 PM
Ratcat is currently offline Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

Question

104 Strange New World
This is a strong episode. The Enterprise encounters its first new planet. An away team shuttle down to the planet for an away misson. Once again, the parallels between current military practices and those of the TNG era are demostrated.

With no transporter technology certified for transporting living beings the crew must use shuttles, and some ellect to stay planet side overnighnt rather than travel back to the ship.

Did I mention Captain Archers dog yet. The first being to set foot on the planet is not a crew member but a beagle, the pet of Captain Archer who lives on Enterprise.

You will notice that I haven't gone into details on plot, don't wish to spoil it for people who want to watch the show.

All I can say is that I highly recommend it and can't wait for next weeks episode. smile

Old Post Oct 13th, 2001 01:16 PM
KJ
Sausages

When is it on? I don't like Star Trek but I'm going to watch this.

Old Post Oct 13th, 2001 04:32 PM
KJ is currently offline Click here to Send KJ a Private Message Find more posts by KJ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tex
Yumsz

Question

You should watch, it's really good! Most shows start off OK and then get better, I cant wait to see what heights this one reaches smile

Old Post Oct 13th, 2001 04:47 PM
Tex is currently offline Click here to Send Tex a Private Message Find more posts by Tex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

Looks like Sky One has picked up the series, but won't be showing it until after Christmas.

Old Post Oct 13th, 2001 05:25 PM
ToMacco
Mr. Orange

I don't think I'll ever be able to watch Star Trek. My old roomate was such a Star Trek nerd, that it turned me off of it. All he ever wanted to do was watch Star Trek, or some other f*@*ed up show. I felt like I was gonna puke. embarrasment

4 8 15 16 23 42

Old Post Oct 13th, 2001 07:29 PM
ToMacco is currently offline Click here to Send ToMacco a Private Message Find more posts by ToMacco Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tex
Yumsz

Texas' Christmas present to Macco: Spock poster wink

Old Post Oct 13th, 2001 08:43 PM
Tex is currently offline Click here to Send Tex a Private Message Find more posts by Tex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ToMacco
Mr. Orange

I'd put it up in my room anyway. My walls are bare. I ordered 2 Bob Dylan posters, but they havn't come yet. sad

4 8 15 16 23 42

Old Post Oct 13th, 2001 11:25 PM
ToMacco is currently offline Click here to Send ToMacco a Private Message Find more posts by ToMacco Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KJ
Sausages

RC how did you manage to see it?

Old Post Oct 14th, 2001 03:18 PM
KJ is currently offline Click here to Send KJ a Private Message Find more posts by KJ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

Strong in the Force am I. wink

Old Post Oct 14th, 2001 05:29 PM
Tex
Yumsz

Morpheus probably. With broadband you can download an hour episode in 10 minutes.

Old Post Oct 14th, 2001 08:02 PM
Ratcat

What's Morpheus, apart from a Matrix character??? confused

If it's a file sharing utility, I don't use em. Too much of a security risk.

Incidently, even with with DSL broadband it would take MUCH longer than 10 minutes.

Last edited by Ratcat on Oct 14th, 2001 at 10:10 PM

Old Post Oct 14th, 2001 10:08 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

RC, can you clarify the situation with the transporters witrhout giving too much away? I have a friend here who is in turn talking to an American friend who says they are using tyhe transporters to move people.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Oct 14th, 2001 10:10 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

OK, basically the transporters are quite new. They are routinely used for cargo transport and have only recently been approved for transporting organics, though no one is too keen to be the first to go through, there's a great line about that in the trailer for the premiere episode.

Needless to say [SPOILER - highlight to read]: that by the end of the first episode someone has been transported due to an emergency, however in the subsequent two episodes so far they have NOT used the transporters at all.

Old Post Oct 14th, 2001 10:17 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Gotcha, thanks a lot.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Oct 14th, 2001 10:18 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

My pleasure.

Can't wait for Wednesday night, next episode looks pretty cool.

Old Post Oct 14th, 2001 10:22 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

You got a direct hook up to US tv there or something? Or are you IN America right now?

BtVS

Old Post Oct 14th, 2001 10:31 PM
Raz
Meister

Admin

quote:
Originally posted by King Jedi
RC how did you manage to see it?
Probably downloaded it from the alt.binaries.startrek newsgroup...

I've seen the first three episodes...I didn't like them and won't bother getting the next episode. I MUCH prefer the Picard Crew.

Old Post Oct 14th, 2001 10:48 PM
Raz is currently offline Click here to Send Raz a Private Message Find more posts by Raz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tex
Yumsz

Next Generation is still the best smokin'

Old Post Oct 14th, 2001 10:58 PM