KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Human Imagination

Human Imagination
Started by: -hh-

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

Human Imagination

more of a philosphical discussion.
Imagine what exists beyond imagination (paradox).
Imagine what came before everything (including God and previous big bangs).Yes, there are limits IMO
How would life be life without imagination. Right now im trying to imagine life without imagination. Well IMO imagination is a good and a bad ability we have. Good because we expand knowledge and we become more "civilized"...but WRONG i think imagination has also made homo-sapeins lazy...hmmm bionomial nomenclature homo-sapien means same wisdom or primate wisdom (wise). It's also cause of war...ok my head hurts someone just post comments lol smile

Life is short and the art long, the occasion instant, experiment perilous, decision difficult.

Old Post Feb 8th, 2004 04:36 AM
Dr. Leg Kick is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Leg Kick a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Leg Kick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trainspottinger

I think you have a good idea. My girlfriend always gets on me because i like sci-fi movies. She says they "aren't real." But ultimately, what is real. Are "true stories" in movies actually real. No, they aren't. We perceive them as real because they are supposedly true, but what makes them true? Is it because we can see it on the screen? I believe that it's only real because our imagination has told us that it is true. It's our imagination that separates us all as humans, but ultimately, what is imagination and to what extent is it real? How far do we as humans go to make our imagination real and how real is our imagination?

Old Post Feb 8th, 2004 05:38 AM
Trainspottinger is currently offline Click here to Send Trainspottinger a Private Message Find more posts by Trainspottinger Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

very well said^

Life is short and the art long, the occasion instant, experiment perilous, decision difficult.

Old Post Feb 8th, 2004 05:39 AM
Dr. Leg Kick is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Leg Kick a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Leg Kick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xeous
The Next.

Train>I just saw Miracle and it is almost entirely accurate. Not only who scored the goals and how they happened but the celebrations and even where and how the puck went in...It was amazing how good of a job Disney did with that movie. The only gripe that I have about it is that the final goal scored in real life bounces out from the wall and they just kinda have it laying there to be picked up and shot...

Old Post Feb 8th, 2004 06:04 AM
xeous is currently offline Click here to Send xeous a Private Message Find more posts by xeous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

But why is that REAL??
(and what does that have to do with imagination)
IMO Imagination is everything. Without imagination the human race would not exist or be insane.
We need Imagination to connect points and even accept things that are "real"

Old Post Feb 8th, 2004 06:22 AM
Tptmanno1 is currently offline Click here to Send Tptmanno1 a Private Message Find more posts by Tptmanno1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

hmmmm imagine what became before everything. what processed our brain to imagine.
yes without imagination we wouldn't survive...actually we would but we would still be in the primitive stage with apes. but then that goes to evolution...hmmm (paradox) ill post later ima think about this a little

Old Post Feb 8th, 2004 06:25 AM
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

and one more thing... please go to the News and Quesotions forum and vote if u want a philosphy forum or not.

Old Post Feb 8th, 2004 06:26 AM
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

Imagination is not a substance or mixture of any sort, so it has no quantity. also has no duration or other such characteristics that would give it a limit. For these reasons it could have no limit.

Old Post Feb 8th, 2004 06:38 AM
xeous
The Next.

What does it have to do with imagination? Without imagination, there would be no sports. Period. Hockey players live because of their imagination, creativity...It's nothing like football, there are very little set plays in hockey and even when there is, there is much room to be imaginative. Without imagination, the USA wouldn't have won that game.

Old Post Feb 8th, 2004 06:38 AM
xeous is currently offline Click here to Send xeous a Private Message Find more posts by xeous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

thats true^ but im always with the Russian team side smile

and not only that but im talking waaaaaay back during the beginning of civilization. before christ before the egyptian pantheon before anything...damn this is a good conversation. cmon more people more comments

Old Post Feb 8th, 2004 06:43 AM
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

Imagination is the ability to associate one thing with another and create a seperate meaning or a seperate definition. For this reason imagination is limited only by our knowledge of things, which is itself limited. So imagination is limited. smile

?¿

Old Post Feb 8th, 2004 06:44 AM
ash007
Strength and Honour

without imagination i would think none of use will try to achive things.
becuase we need imagination to give us ideas and hope.

So wiithout imagination this world will be one boaring place

With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.These words were uttered by Judge Aaron Satie -- as awisdom, and warning. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged.

"One ought never to turn one's back on a threatened danger and try to run away from it. If you do that, you will double the danger. But if you meet it promptly and without flinching, you will reduce the danger by half.-----Sir Winston Churchill

Old Post Feb 8th, 2004 10:21 AM
ash007 is currently offline Click here to Send ash007 a Private Message Find more posts by ash007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Storm
Black belt BJJ

"Throughout human history, stories have been our most powerful cultural tool to communicate and challenge ideas. In a world saturated with advertising and commerce, both children and adults seek refuge, guidance, comfort and wisdom in stories. In our explorations of the frontier of the human mind they are invaluable. Stories are our guides to tomorrow, and are at our side as we remember the past and dream the future."
Robert Gould

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Feb 8th, 2004 10:51 AM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Storm
Black belt BJJ

It' d be better to define "imagination" first and then discuss about it though.

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Feb 8th, 2004 01:55 PM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

but how can you define imagination if we only know that we have the ability to imagine but we dont know what triggers the brain to imagine so we dont know what imagination is but we know how to use imagination.

smile

Old Post Feb 8th, 2004 04:10 PM
rusky
Waiting for da snow

Imagination is what separates us from the AI out there... we can come up with ideas that have no logical support, very important...
Idd...imagination is defined by psychologists as the element that helps us link a real world object (a chair) with the word we use for it and, more importantly, it's meaning and use.

However, there is clearly more to imagination than that, perhaps all that we see around us is just in our imagination.

A us scientist concluded recently that, since we rely fully on our senses to percieve the world, we could easily be imagining the whole thing.

'Imagine' that what we all clearly accept as a little kitten, and SEE and smell and touch and so on, is ( or could be a big tyranosaurus rex). It is all up to u'r imagination, and we all wonder why small children imagine so many weird things... it's because they haven't yet been indoctrinated with that which we, grown-ups take for granted...a rock is a rock and can't be smashed with my bare hand....yet some people can..that's because they believe they can...they imagine it happening...and believe it..
That is a big problem, people today no longer believe in their imagination..

Have fun||

Old Post Feb 8th, 2004 07:35 PM
rusky is currently offline Click here to Send rusky a Private Message Find more posts by rusky Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

very well said ^

Old Post Feb 8th, 2004 11:35 PM
Peloquin
Restricted

Account Restricted

always liked this one:

If you will practice being fictional for a while, you will understand that fictional characters are sometimes more real than people with bodies and heartbeats.

Chillin out with my little Irish leprechaun, my faithful butler Jeeves and a ukulele playin Hawaiian midget. All is solid in Pel's world.

"Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation."
-Kahlil Gibran

Old Post Feb 9th, 2004 03:04 AM
Peloquin is currently offline Click here to Send Peloquin a Private Message Find more posts by Peloquin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peloquin
Restricted

Account Restricted

ok here's an idea. (Putting it very simple as I don't have too much time) Time and space...we choose to live in it, yeah. Beyond the boundaries where we allow ourselves to go is a "place" without time and space. Going along with the idea that everything that will exist or has existed exists in that place as always "here and now". Imagination is our access to that place. We open a channel and allow inspiration to enter us. I think this happens because we are always there any way, well a part of us is. Inspiration leads to imagination...inspiration comes from "inspiratos" meaning = with spirit.

Chillin out with my little Irish leprechaun, my faithful butler Jeeves and a ukulele playin Hawaiian midget. All is solid in Pel's world.

"Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation."
-Kahlil Gibran

Old Post Feb 9th, 2004 03:23 AM
Peloquin is currently offline Click here to Send Peloquin a Private Message Find more posts by Peloquin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

hmmm i kinda disagree with how u said inspiration leads to imagination...i actually think boredom influences imagination. and i can reference this as Fyodor Dostoevsky has said

"Of course boredom may lead you to anything. It is boredom sets one sticking golden pins into people, but all that would not matter."- Dostoevsky

also he said

"Boredom excites imagination."

Old Post Feb 9th, 2004 03:53 AM