KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religious People Described as Moral Retards (copied from another forum)

Religious People Described as Moral Retards (copied from another forum)
Started by: whirlysplat

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Religious People Described as Moral Retards (copied from another forum)

Religious People Described as Moral Retards

Yeah, figured that title would get your attention.

A professor from Brooklyn College in New York city has "ignited a firestorm of controversy" over some opinions and questionable comments he made about organized religion - on an online journal. Professor Timothy Shortell is set to become head of the schools Sociology department, but that appointment may be in serious trouble.

Read it for yourself in the foxnews article:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,158337,00.html

I'm all for free speech, but I think he may have crossed the line, away from debate, and into the realm of "hate speech". His new blog on his website - www.shortell.org, seems reasonable - until you actually read the essay that sparked the outcry. Read it for yourself. Reasonable opinion? Hate Speech? Radical Intolerance? "On the money"?

herd behavior is a comical thing - Thanks Silver Spider

Old Post Jun 5th, 2005 06:27 PM
Sir Whirlysplat is currently offline Click here to Send Sir Whirlysplat a Private Message Find more posts by Sir Whirlysplat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fishy

I don't think he crossed the line, he stated his opinion. Religions said far worse things... I'm not trying to throw this back at religion or anything i'm just saying what he said isn't all that bad and still an opinion worse things have been said.. Besides a lot of people may agree with it. And Fox probably took the worst sentences from the report. Unless I see all he wrote I refuse to judge him for writing this, and even then I probably wouldn't care..

Thanks TWelling4Ever

Old Post Jun 5th, 2005 06:41 PM
Fishy is currently offline Click here to Send Fishy a Private Message Find more posts by Fishy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Magee

I see absolutely nothing wrong with what he said.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2005 07:56 PM
Magee is currently offline Click here to Send Magee a Private Message Find more posts by Magee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
magic_hate_ball
KILL!KILL!THIS IS HOCKEY!

not to say bad things about organized religion but SOME people in organized religion ARE moral retards....people need to realise that we are NOT in 1665 where religious intolerance and intolerance towards a person of another lifestyle is the norm....i thought we had moved waaaaaay beyond that however and sadly, we havent esp when a man of God who professes to be a minister and "doing Gods work" is allowed to set up a website called www.godhatesfags.com to me that is moral retardation and abuse of the trust and power you have as a minister makes you such....

OLD TIME HOCKEY...
LIKE EDDIE SHORE!!!!

Old Post Jun 5th, 2005 08:44 PM
magic_hate_ball is currently offline Click here to Send magic_hate_ball a Private Message Find more posts by magic_hate_ball Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
baracustastic
I aint gettin on no plane

Sounds like a fair statement to me.

Americans add throwing, pads, alter the length of the game etc, i.e. change it completely yet still call it football.

Then they call the original soccer, and expect the rest of the world to adopt this bastard name. Pish.

From hence forth American football shall be known as "soccer." by me.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2005 08:47 PM
baracustastic is currently offline Click here to Send baracustastic a Private Message Find more posts by baracustastic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DeRFmAn
Call me Reverend

I'm with him on that too. I don't think he went too far. Like magee said organized religions have done far worse. Its not like he is sending people to die by feeding them to lions or anything. Hes just stating his opinion.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2005 10:07 PM
DeRFmAn is currently offline Click here to Send DeRFmAn a Private Message Find more posts by DeRFmAn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
((The_Anomaly))
2003 Super Senior Member

i see nothing wrong with his comments..

BRAWL FRIEND CODE: 3823-8176-3726

Old Post Jun 6th, 2005 01:39 AM
((The_Anomaly)) is currently offline Click here to Send ((The_Anomaly)) a Private Message Find more posts by ((The_Anomaly)) Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

People don't seem to understand that not one person speaks for the whole concept of religion, or the preachings of which it stands by.

That's like saying me, who failed Pre-Algebra twice, is the foremost representitive of mathematics.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2005 03:43 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tex
Yumsz

The preachings and teachings speak for themselves.
Nowhere in his article did he say one person speaks for the whole concept of religion.

I completely agree 100% with what he had to say. That's its even an eyebrow raising issue completely appalls me! Is this how Christians react when they hear something intelligent and logical? Are they so used to their fantastical fairy tales that common sense and reasonable logic stuns, confuses and infuriates them?

Absolutely ridiculous!

Religions based on revelations are the number one threat to social and human advancement. A cancer freely carried by, and spread to, the ignorant, uninformed and weak minded.

Doesn't surprise me one bit that FoxNews is the only major news source carrying the story. The vengeful Christian watchdog.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2005 06:38 AM
Tex is currently offline Click here to Send Tex a Private Message Find more posts by Tex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
botankus
Bass-ackwards

Well, if he's not going to specify which religion he's talking about, I would assume it captures all of them in the umbrella.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2005 11:47 AM
botankus is currently offline Click here to Send botankus a Private Message Find more posts by botankus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jackie Malfoy
Jacks

It is real strange.No one is afraid to say anything bad about christians but have a fear of making fun of budist and jews and Musiams.Now why is this?
I have no idea.But either way it is wrong.JM

Lord Matt Parker Clare moose Clovie Danii furryman Shellie Jason Yoda(Son) chris Slipknot English(son)a1hsauce ROB Penny Alice and Taft Napalm Sim Telperala Bardock42 Aku Lara Spriderman Lady Slytherin Mike Cherrypie and Fearnix Raggie Dark1365 Syren Tired Hiker LadyGrim and Spoonly(mypimp)Puddin Gisele FEDfan316 and Dean spazzymcgee14 Kharhmah Pink Diamond Lazerus(Husband) Syko Freak Lance Bordom Laurie kelly jason Bert Tecknoyashi Maya Grand Moff Gav(Lawer) Fopret Ketchuptome23453245 Gen Grevious(son) Chelsea17 Snehin Apollox Shaggy2dope(son)Big Evil Twelling4ever Powerfulone DamienB Mew Cherry Leowyatt.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2005 12:56 PM
Jackie Malfoy is currently offline Click here to Send Jackie Malfoy a Private Message Find more posts by Jackie Malfoy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
botankus
Bass-ackwards

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Jackie Malfoy
No one is afraid to say anything bad about christians but have a fear of making fun of budist and jews and Musiams.Now why is this?

Jackie, allow me to introduce you to KidRock.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2005 01:04 PM
botankus is currently offline Click here to Send botankus a Private Message Find more posts by botankus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

First there are aboot a million jokes aboot jews so that is not true.
Islmaists are maybe not made fun of but we see them in the most critical light and even start wars against whole countries because there is one islamist we don't like ( with we I mean the US)
Buddhists might possibly be the nicest and most caring "religion" (its not really a religion) in the world so why the hell should we ridicule them ( although I am sure there are some jokes aboot them)

Now Radical Christians ( that hade Gays, Muslims, Mormons, Abortion doctors or whatever...basicallly people that agree with anything on the Wep Site posted by magic hate ball) are just as bad as islamists maybe even worse. They deserve to be ridiculed and maybe even openly attacked for their moronic beliefs....calling them moral retards is not an insult, its to good for them.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2005 01:14 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

Ha! Not suprising he said that - hes a functionalist.

Well from where im standing, hes full of shit, based all on the fact that he uses Durkhim's ideas to put his point across about the world today.

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Jun 6th, 2005 01:26 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Ha! Not suprising he said that - hes a functionalist.

Well from where im standing, hes full of shit, based all on the fact that he uses Durkhim's ideas to put his point across about the world today.

How3 is a functionalist defined?

Old Post Jun 6th, 2005 01:28 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
botankus
Bass-ackwards

Originally posted by Bardock42
First there are aboot a million jokes aboot jews so that is not true.
Islmaists are maybe not made fun of but we see them in the most critical light and even start wars against whole countries because there is one islamist we don't like ( with we I mean the US)
Buddhists might possibly be the nicest and most caring "religion" (its not really a religion) in the world so why the hell should we ridicule them ( although I am sure there are some jokes aboot them)

Why? If you're going to ridicule one or even two religions, they ALL are fair game.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2005 01:30 PM
finti

all religions are fair game for ridicule

Old Post Jun 6th, 2005 01:38 PM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by botankus
Why? If you're going to ridicule one or even two religions, they ALL are fair game.

Thats what I am saying...its fair of course I just gave the reasons why the christians are more ridiculed than the buddhists...nothing wrong with ridiculing them though (but seriously what do you want to say aboot them? " This stupid buddhists they don't even kill anyone what the hell is wrong with the...they belive that you can be nice to each other...dammit I am so happy I am Christian"? Nah doesn't really work, does it?)

Old Post Jun 6th, 2005 01:40 PM
Peach
mordrem

People are allowed their own opinions, and this is the opinion he had. No big deal.

Though I'll be skeptical of anything Fox News reports, it was probably a single sentence pulled out of context of something completely different roll eyes (sarcastic)

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Jun 6th, 2005 02:00 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
magic_hate_ball
KILL!KILL!THIS IS HOCKEY!

i dont know if my points about my comment were in question but i find most of the retardation in question going on in the fundamentalist part of any religion....not just Christian but all religions have some fundamentalism that crosses the line of extremism which makes them moral retards....

OLD TIME HOCKEY...
LIKE EDDIE SHORE!!!!

Old Post Jun 6th, 2005 02:08 PM
magic_hate_ball is currently offline Click here to Send magic_hate_ball a Private Message Find more posts by magic_hate_ball Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote