KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Munch’s painting: Screaming or listening?

Munch’s painting: Screaming or listening?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Screaming 6 66.67%
Listening 3 33.33%
Total: 9 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Started by: §P0oONY

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
§P0oONY

(please log in to view the image)

Edvard Munch’s masterpiece, “The Scream,” has become a world icon of human anxiety, appearing on everything from popular T-shirts to blowup dolls, and causing endless debate among art experts.

But what exactly is the surreal figure doing in the painting, with hands pressed to its head and open mouth: Screaming, or hearing a scream?

Rumour has it that infact the painting was set near an Asylem and he figure in the painting was infact hearing a scream of someone from it..

What do you think?

Old Post Jun 13th, 2005 12:53 AM
§P0oONY is currently offline Click here to Send §P0oONY a Private Message Find more posts by §P0oONY Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Anakinismylife
Restricted

Account Restricted

sorta both because I look @ it as the person is listening to someone and they are so shoched that they are screaming.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2005 12:56 AM
Anakinismylife is currently offline Click here to Send Anakinismylife a Private Message Find more posts by Anakinismylife Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deano

looks like the figure is hearing or seeing something disturbing

the eyes give it away i think

"How about this? Shut your mouth...Or I'll kick your teeth down your throat and shut it for you."

Old Post Jun 13th, 2005 12:58 AM
Deano is currently offline Click here to Send Deano a Private Message Find more posts by Deano Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
§P0oONY

But which is it?

Old Post Jun 13th, 2005 01:02 AM
§P0oONY is currently offline Click here to Send §P0oONY a Private Message Find more posts by §P0oONY Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deano

probably heard something..who can say what?
maybe an explosion?

"How about this? Shut your mouth...Or I'll kick your teeth down your throat and shut it for you."

Old Post Jun 13th, 2005 01:06 AM
Deano is currently offline Click here to Send Deano a Private Message Find more posts by Deano Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
§P0oONY

Who knows..... Well the artist,

I guess it is all personal perspective, I agree that he is listening though

Old Post Jun 13th, 2005 01:09 AM
Deano

it looks like the figure has saw my giant package and is gaping in amazement

Old Post Jun 13th, 2005 01:15 AM
§P0oONY

Lol. You wish...

Old Post Jun 13th, 2005 01:15 AM
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

i think the figure is screaming.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2005 01:18 AM
PVS is currently offline Click here to Send PVS a Private Message Find more posts by PVS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deano

quote: (post)
Originally posted by PVS
i think the figure is screaming.

you crazy son b!tch!
u better take that back...

Old Post Jun 13th, 2005 01:22 AM
Imaginary
blinded

Originally posted by Deano
looks like the figure is hearing or seeing something disturbing

the eyes give it away i think

yes

Old Post Jun 13th, 2005 01:51 AM
Imaginary is currently offline Click here to Send Imaginary a Private Message Find more posts by Imaginary Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trickster
True KMC Jester

Screaming. Dunno why.

Death only gives another set of choices.

He who dies with the most toys. Still dies.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2005 11:09 AM
Trickster is currently offline Click here to Send Trickster a Private Message Find more posts by Trickster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

scream, or SKRIK as it called in Edvards native Norwegian,cause that is the name the artist gave it.............wouldnt call it a masterpiece though I find it rather piss poor

Old Post Jun 13th, 2005 11:15 AM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

Going mad, and he is covering his ears because he can't take what is around him. Distorted world.

Fabulous amazing painting.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2005 12:06 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KharmaDog
Dyslexic Agnostic

I believe that the figure is just expressing mild discomfort over being constipated.

Seriously, Munch titled this work, "the Scream" so why is this even being debated?

As a fine Arts major (both Studio and Art History) i became so sick of young students collecting this poster and putting it on their wall, along with anything by Gustave Klimt, that it has lost all meaning to me.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2005 12:18 PM
KharmaDog is currently offline Click here to Send KharmaDog a Private Message Find more posts by KharmaDog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

I use to see posters all over with the figure smoking pot...

"I was walking along a path with two friends, the sun was setting and suddenly the sky turned blood red, I paused, feeling exhausted, and leaned on the fence, there was blood and tongues of fire above the blue-black fjord and the city, my friends walked on, and I stood there trembling with anxiety, and I sensed an infinite scream passing through nature."

Edvard Munch.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2005 12:23 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
papabeard
tHe RiVeRmaN

He has heard and seen too much and is screaming and clutching his ears as he cant stand too hear anymore.

The hands over the ears is just an anxiety reaction.

Physical manifestation of external and existential angst

Old Post Jun 13th, 2005 12:39 PM
papabeard is currently offline Click here to Send papabeard a Private Message Find more posts by papabeard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Deano
you crazy son b!tch!
u better take that back...

he's screaming because he just figured out the black government plot to enslave and microchip the human racestick out tongue

seriously though, the guy is screaming and the world surrounding him is distorted to express his point of view, one of intense anxiety and panic...thats the way i see it.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2005 12:47 PM
PVS is currently offline Click here to Send PVS a Private Message Find more posts by PVS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deano

then thats very good reason for the figure to scream! lol

Old Post Jun 13th, 2005 12:57 PM
finti

best use I have seen of that pictures was t shirts with the text "Dan Quayle for President??"

Old Post Jun 13th, 2005 02:05 PM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote