KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Rude or Blunt?

Are rudeness and bluntness the same thing?
This poll is closed.
Yep 1 8.33%
Nope 9 75.00%
Too close to call 2 16.67%
Total: 12 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rude or Blunt?
Started by: Jedi Priestess

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
~JP~
yeah baby

Question Rude or Blunt?

Im curious about something. Is there really a difference between rudeness and being blunt? Ive seen many people who hide their rudeness behind the guise of bluntness. Lord knows Ive been guilty of this myself.

But on the whole, are they one in the same?

Old Post Feb 25th, 2006 06:56 AM
~JP~ is currently offline Click here to Send ~JP~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~JP~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

I don't believe they are.

If, for example, someone asks how they look and you don't think they look good, saying so isn't rude. It's being blunt and giving them the answer they want.

If someone is acting stupid and you tell them you think they're stupid, I don't think that's rude.

Rude would be going out of your way to make pointless disrespectful remarks, which everyone is guilty of at some point.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Feb 25th, 2006 07:03 AM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

Wife: How's my husband?
Doctor: He's dead.

Wife: How's my husband?
Doctor: He's f*cking dead, you stupid moron. What do you expect after he got his head caught airplane's rotor-blades? You're idiot!

Yeah, so I guess they're not the same.

Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2006 07:03 AM
Ya Krunk'd Floo is currently offline Click here to Send Ya Krunk'd Floo a Private Message Find more posts by Ya Krunk'd Floo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
~JP~
yeah baby

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
I don't believe they are.

If, for example, someone asks how they look and you don't think they look good, saying so isn't rude. It's being blunt and giving them the answer they want.

If someone is acting stupid and you tell them you think they're stupid, I don't think that's rude.

Rude would be going out of your way to make pointless disrespectful remarks, which everyone is guilty of at some point.

-AC

But it is possible to tell someone that they are acting stupid without saying "You are acting stupid." Isnt it? Does that even make sense?

The reason I posed this question is because I was posting on an IPB support board and some guy had asked a question and some other dude responded with a snotty comment. When yet another poster said something to the guy with the snotty comment, his excuse was, "Im not being rude Im just blunt." Got me to thinking that I've seen that alot.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2006 07:08 AM
~JP~ is currently offline Click here to Send ~JP~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~JP~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Soren the Mage
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Rude or Blunt?

Originally posted by Jedi Priestess
Im curious about something. Is there really a difference between rudeness and being blunt? Ive seen many people who hide their rudeness behind the guise of bluntness. Lord knows Ive been guilty of this myself.

But on the whole, are they one in the same?

They are.

For example: Being Blunt is expressing your opinions without fear of what others will think.

Being Rude is expressing negative or derogatory terms or feelings towards someone else or administering bad manners.

The two are similar in some aspects but being Blunt is more expansive than rudeness, IMHO.

An Ancient Prophecy . . . The deity shall walk forth . . .

Old Post Feb 25th, 2006 07:09 AM
Soren the Mage is currently offline Click here to Send Soren the Mage a Private Message Find more posts by Soren the Mage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

But it is possible to tell someone that they are acting stupid without saying "You are acting stupid." Isnt it? Does that even make sense? The reason I posed this question is because I was posting on an IPB support board and someone had asked a question and someone else responded with a snotty comment. When yet another poster said something to the guy with the snotty comment, his excuse was, "Im not being rude Im just blunt." Got me to thinking that I've seen that alot.

Yes, to the first question, but that's called sugar-coating and I don't deal with sugar-coating.

That's why I'm blunt. I like knowing that regardless whether I'm liked, loved, disliked or hated, people from each of those catagories know exactly where they stand. If they interpret that as being rude and would rather be unsure, that's them.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Last edited by Alpha Centauri on Feb 25th, 2006 at 07:12 AM

Old Post Feb 25th, 2006 07:09 AM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
~JP~
yeah baby

Re: Re: Rude or Blunt?

Originally posted by Lörd Sorgo

The two are similar in some aspects but being Blunt is more expansive than rudeness, IMHO.

What do you mean by that? Ya lost me?

And AC I'd like to hear your opinion on my example that I posted.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2006 07:11 AM
Peach
mordrem

There's a difference between being rude and being blunt. I tend to be very blunt and see no reason to sugarcoat my words; if someone is being an idiot, I'm going to come right out and say "you're being an idiot, stop it." It's not being rude, it's being truthful. If I were to say "You're acting like an idiot you stupid retarded noob", that would be rude because it was mostly uncalled for.

I think it's more usually people ask a question expecting a certain answer, and if they get one that's different, they say the other person is being rude, when the person answering is simply being truthful.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Feb 25th, 2006 07:12 AM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

Re: Re: Rude or Blunt?

Originally posted by Lörd Sorgo
They are.

For example: Being Blunt is expressing your opinions without fear of what others will think.

Being Rude is expressing negative or derogatory terms or feelings towards someone else or administering bad manners.

So, I guess what you actually meant to say was "They aren't", seeing as you don't think they are 'one in the same'.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2006 07:13 AM
Ya Krunk'd Floo is currently offline Click here to Send Ya Krunk'd Floo a Private Message Find more posts by Ya Krunk'd Floo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Re: Re: Rude or Blunt?

What do you mean by that? Ya lost me?

And AC I'd like to hear your opinion on my example that I posted.

Without seeing what the guy's/girl's comment was, I can't possibly say it's snotty or blunt.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2006 07:14 AM
~JP~
yeah baby

Originally posted by Lana
There's a difference between being rude and being blunt. I tend to be very blunt and see no reason to sugarcoat my words; if someone is being an idiot, I'm going to come right out and say "you're being an idiot, stop it." It's not being rude, it's being truthful. If I were to say "You're acting like an idiot you stupid retarded noob", that would be rude because it was mostly uncalled for.

I think it's more usually people ask a question expecting a certain answer, and if they get one that's different, they say the other person is being rude, when the person answering is simply being truthful.

But if you go by that definition, isnt that kind of being rude in itself as it really doesnt leave the person you are speaking to with a nice feeling, much the same way that rudeness doesnt?

Old Post Feb 25th, 2006 07:14 AM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Not at all, because some people are just overly sensitive and will be offended by the slightest thing. If you're offended by honesty, be it negative or positive, then good luck in the world.

If you cater for people then you're going to do a lot of self-censoring.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2006 07:16 AM
Peach
mordrem

But if you go by that definition, isnt that kind of being rude in itself as it really doesnt leave the person you are speaking to with a nice feeling, much the same way that rudeness doesnt?

Not really....ever hear the phrase "the truth hurts"?

Too often people expect to always hear certain things or to have things sugarcoated for them, so when someone is brutally honest, it comes as a slap to the face for them and they think it's rude. The truth isn't always nice and I don't see a reason to make it seem any nicer than it is.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Feb 25th, 2006 07:16 AM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
~JP~
yeah baby

Re: Re: Re: Re: Rude or Blunt?

Without seeing what the guy's/girl's comment was, I can't possibly say it's snotty or blunt.

-AC

Well seeing as I have like 6 different sites bookmarked for ipb support I cant link you, erm but if my memory serves me it went down something like:

Guy #1: Jeez I posted my question 3 hours ago and no one has answered me?

Guy# 2: How about you stop whining like a b*tch and give them some time to answer?

Now that seems alot like rudeness hidden under the guise of bluntness to me.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2006 07:19 AM
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

I don't see any reason to continue this discussion, seeing as I clearly demonstrated the difference in my first post. Why do people try to make mountains out of shit piles?

Old Post Feb 25th, 2006 07:20 AM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

If he didn't call the guy a b*tch needlessly, I'd say it was blunt.

The fact that he said it in the form of a question:

"How about you stop whining...?" etc, makes it seem more snotty than it is.

If he had just said "Stop whining, give people time to answer." It wouldn't seem as bad.

I think the calling him a b*tch was needless, but beyond that I have no problem with it.

Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
I don't see any reason to continue this discussion, seeing as I clearly demonstrated the difference in my first post. Why do people try to make mountains out of shit piles?

Because some people are stupid enough to believe that the nature of a discussion board is to keep a discussion going regardless and/or make a discussion out of anything even if there's nothing more than a page of discussion in the topic. Eg: "Plane crashes in...Paris" "Terrible news." "Yeah" "..."

Not aimed at anyone specific, many people here do it across many of the forums. That's blunt.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Last edited by Alpha Centauri on Feb 25th, 2006 at 07:24 AM

Old Post Feb 25th, 2006 07:21 AM
~JP~
yeah baby

Not at all, because some people are just overly sensitive and will be offended by the slightest thing. If you're offended by honesty, be it negative or positive, then good luck in the world.

If you cater for people then you're going to do a lot of self-censoring.

-AC

Well seeing as I can be one of THE rudest peeps out there, this really doesnt bother me much. But I am also going to be honest and admit that there are times when I have been seriously rude and said oh I was just being blunt, even tho quite frankly I could have told that person the truth without sugar coating it OR being snotty about it.

And Ya Kriunk'd I wasnt aware that you were THE ONE answer for everyone on earth. I said I wanted peoples opinions on the matter not just yours dearie.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2006 07:22 AM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well seeing as I can be one of THE rudest peeps out there, this really doesnt bother me much. But I am also going to be honest and admit that there are times when I have been seriously rude and said oh I was just being blunt, even tho quite frankly I could have told that person the truth without sugar coating it OR being snotty about it.

And Ya Kriunk'd I wasnt aware that you were THE ONE answer for everyone on earth. I said I wanted peoples opinions on the matter not just yours dearie.

The irony is that you went on to be rude to him when you could have just said "I wanted other people's opinions also. Not just yours."

Funny ol' game.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2006 07:25 AM
~JP~
yeah baby

Yes, yes I did. And I freely admitted in my post that I did that from time to time, so whats your point?

Old Post Feb 25th, 2006 07:27 AM
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

Fair enough, everyones different. I've just always been one who prefers quality over quantity.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2006 07:29 AM