KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Most interesting period of time and why.

Most interesting period of time and why.
Started by: DE Calvin

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
calvs
Kommunist

Warning Most interesting period of time and why.

This is the unofficial first thread of a new history forum. What time period of recorded history was most the most interesting, and has the greatest effect on modern times, and why?

Some men die under the mountain just looking for gold
Some die looking for a hand to hold

Old Post Mar 11th, 2006 08:12 PM
calvs is currently offline Click here to Send calvs a Private Message Find more posts by calvs Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

The Classics in my opinion. Especially Greek History ....very nice indeed.

Old Post Mar 11th, 2006 08:14 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
zod360
Restricted

Account Restricted

I've got to go with Bardock.

Old Post Mar 11th, 2006 08:16 PM
zod360 is currently offline Click here to Send zod360 a Private Message Find more posts by zod360 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

Most interesting? Probably the Enlightenment era. It was a virtual rebirth of science and classic philosophy, and the Age of Sail was really interesting. I've always loved that kind of thing.

As for which era had the most effect on modern times, it would be the beginning of colonialism. It's basically reshaped the world entirely.

Old Post Mar 11th, 2006 08:22 PM
Janus Marius is currently offline Click here to Send Janus Marius a Private Message Find more posts by Janus Marius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
calvs
Kommunist

I would say that the Renaissance of Medieval Italy had the greatest effect on modern times, because of the rediscovery od Aristotle, and the recovery of many other great Roman/Greek Philosophies made Capitalism possible.

Old Post Mar 11th, 2006 08:35 PM
calvs is currently offline Click here to Send calvs a Private Message Find more posts by calvs Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

I would have to say the rapture was the most interesting period in history. It was really great to see those heathens get what had been coming to them.

"If you were me, you'd know the safest place to hide...is in sanity!

Old Post Mar 11th, 2006 08:40 PM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

You say that like Capitalism is a great system, like human beings would be wallowing in their own crap without it.

I don't think the prexisting feudal system was that great, but we're no better off exchanging barons for bankers. The rise of the middle class kinda bugs me. Also, the expanding on cities made possible some of the worst outbreaks in history.

While we're in Renaissance Italy, anyone else think that Machiavelli was a kissass?

Old Post Mar 11th, 2006 08:42 PM
Janus Marius is currently offline Click here to Send Janus Marius a Private Message Find more posts by Janus Marius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
I would have to say the rapture was the most interesting period in history. It was really great to see those heathens get what had been coming to them.

The rapture? And which heathens are we talking about now?

Old Post Mar 11th, 2006 08:43 PM
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Wesker
The rapture? And which heathens are we talking about now?

Are you denying the rapture?

(You must be new...It's a joke.)

Old Post Mar 11th, 2006 08:44 PM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

I was going to make a witty remark, but I don't frequent this section... Might make someone angry and I don't have any embassies to burn.

Old Post Mar 11th, 2006 08:52 PM
calvs
Kommunist

Machiavelli was a kissass, but he was smart nonetheless.

Old Post Mar 11th, 2006 08:54 PM
Atlantis001
The one without a name

The ancient times, the birth of the first civilizations. Mesopotamia in Middle Eastern, India in the Indus Valley, and Egypt.

Which other civilizations spread from them... Babylon, Sumeria, Hitites Assyrians, Akkadians, etc.. how culture, and religion descend from each other. Which elements of the ancient religions were incorporated in christianism, and how these culture spread into chirstianism. Which other unknow influences cultures could have on each other.

Old Post Mar 11th, 2006 08:57 PM
Atlantis001 is currently offline Click here to Send Atlantis001 a Private Message Find more posts by Atlantis001 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
calvs
Kommunist

I think we could still be here today if it weren't for religion, and possibly better off.

Old Post Mar 11th, 2006 08:58 PM
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

History does build on itself, that I do agree on. But ancient ancient history based out of the cradle of civilization would be boring to me. A history period in which there is little history (Especially written) would be boring.

Machiavelli had a keen understanding of politics, but I wouldn't call him smart. He wrote his works and dedicated them to one of the evillest and most narrowminded families in European history- the Medicis. We can thank them for the corruption of the Bourban family.

Old Post Mar 11th, 2006 08:59 PM
Morgoths_Wrath

Postmodernism and the information age is very interesting, but I might have to go with Classical period as well. Although the Renaissance, the Enlightenment, and Romanticism were all very interesting as well.

A better question might be, which is my LEAST favorite…which would probably be the Middle-Ages or Dark Ages or the Industrial era.

Last edited by Morgoths_Wrath on Mar 11th, 2006 at 09:02 PM

Old Post Mar 11th, 2006 08:59 PM
Morgoths_Wrath is currently offline Click here to Send Morgoths_Wrath a Private Message Find more posts by Morgoths_Wrath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

Originally posted by DE Calvin
I think we could still be here today if it weren't for religion, and possibly better off.

Some argue that the brain is hard-wired for religion, but most socio-political philosophers argue that some sort of noble lie is neccessary.

Old Post Mar 11th, 2006 09:00 PM
calvs
Kommunist

I had always had a fascination with the Californian Gold Rush, but I do not know why. I always wanted to be in it.

Old Post Mar 11th, 2006 09:03 PM
Morgoths_Wrath

Originally posted by Wesker
Some argue that the brain is hard-wired for religion, but most socio-political philosophers argue that some sort of noble lie is neccessary.

true.

one could argue that it's not the religion that's bad, but the people who misinterpret it. but then again, it's much more complicated than that.

Old Post Mar 11th, 2006 09:03 PM
Morgoths_Wrath is currently offline Click here to Send Morgoths_Wrath a Private Message Find more posts by Morgoths_Wrath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
calvs
Kommunist

Probably trhe age of christ was the most influential.

Old Post Mar 11th, 2006 09:05 PM
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by DE Calvin
Probably trhe age of christ was the most influential.

I would venture that it wasn't as influential as it was misunderstood and misrepresented.

Old Post Mar 11th, 2006 09:07 PM