KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » American Empire?

Can the United States of America be considered an empire?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Yes 8 22.86%
No 25 71.43%
Not sure 2 5.71%
Total: 35 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

American Empire?
Started by: Morgoths_Wrath

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Morgoths_Wrath

American Empire?

Can you call the United States an empire? Why or why not? If so in what ways does it function as an empire? If not, why can't it be considered an empire?

Old Post Jun 12th, 2006 05:51 AM
Morgoths_Wrath is currently offline Click here to Send Morgoths_Wrath a Private Message Find more posts by Morgoths_Wrath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

I'd say no. We definately had one though. (another sign Rumslfed is a complete ignoramus >> he claimed America never had any colonial/imperial interests).

We currently have our hands over everything and were the bully on campus, but we don't physcially have direct control over too many governments yet. We are becoming empire-like though, you could definately make a good case for it.

| Sigs | My Artwork | Sig Duel Record 24:4 | Alliance Respect Thread |

Old Post Jun 12th, 2006 05:04 PM
Ordo is currently offline Click here to Send Ordo a Private Message Find more posts by Ordo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

No, it's a cultural and political (political only partly tho) Hegemony

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Jun 12th, 2006 07:48 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

id say more political than cultural. why do you think its the other way around?

Old Post Jun 12th, 2006 11:30 PM
Ordo is currently offline Click here to Send Ordo a Private Message Find more posts by Ordo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

Empire......don't think so. Influential yes......Important to the rest of the world, mmmmm yep. If we go down, will take others down with us........ahhhh, yeah I think so......

Soooooooo Please buy American goods, the life you save might be your own. stick out tongue

This add is sponsored by your friendly friends on the Internet....

Last edited by debbiejo on Jun 14th, 2006 at 02:26 PM

Old Post Jun 14th, 2006 02:23 PM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

In comparison to what we call the European and Asian empires of the past, America's not one.

Old Post Jun 15th, 2006 03:09 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Alliance
id say more political than cultural. why do you think its the other way around?

Because it's political system (liberal democracy) is not followed as widely as it's cultural system (liberal capitalism) in the world.

US decisions are of great importance and influences in both areas but I still think that altho it has established a cultural hegemony in areas like the middle east and china. It's political hegemony is not as strong in those area's of the globe. Unless ofc it is forced on those regions by means of war, but that kinda destroys the hegemony idea in my opinion.

Old Post Jun 15th, 2006 06:32 AM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

I think it can be considered an Empire, because we striked back against terrorism! The Empire Strikes Back! Get it!

Okay, I promise I won't treat this place like the OTF from this point on. My bad.

Old Post Jun 15th, 2006 08:32 AM
Tired-Hiker is currently offline Click here to Send Tired-Hiker a Private Message Find more posts by Tired-Hiker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

Originally posted by Fire
Because it's political system (liberal democracy) is not followed as widely as it's cultural system (liberal capitalism) in the world.

US decisions are of great importance and influences in both areas but I still think that altho it has established a cultural hegemony in areas like the middle east and china. It's political hegemony is not as strong in those area's of the globe. Unless ofc it is forced on those regions by means of war, but that kinda destroys the hegemony idea in my opinion.

Well, the political system of the us is a constitutionally based federal republic, but the US has been responsible, along with France, for introducing democratic ideals. I'd argue that those democratic ideals and its use of a constitution make the US a very powerful political force. If those dont do it, there's always our army messed.

I think liberal capitalism applies to government to. Culture applies more to daily life, music, art, architecture, and general ideals. I think a lot of american culture is based off of the philosophy of our government.

Old Post Jun 15th, 2006 01:58 PM
Fire

yea, but the use of an army, atleast the use of force, does not make a hegemony. You are right about constitutional legacy, that's a big influence, but again regions like China and arabia don't really care about consitutions (atleast not consitutions that proclaim democratic ideas and liberties)

capitalism is important, for music, art, architecture and general ideals. capitalism is a way of thinking that affects everything in society. With capitalism our culture would not be what it is now. the government has surely promoted capitalism, for economy and politics go together.

But I still think that eventho regions like arabia and china don't copy the US base for the political system. They have all accepted capitalism as a way of life. China only recently, but arabia a long time ago, eventho they don't really care about the politics that 'should' go with it.

Old Post Jun 15th, 2006 02:13 PM
Koenig

America is a superpower. but it is not an Empire.

Old Post Jun 17th, 2006 08:24 PM
Koenig is currently offline Click here to Send Koenig a Private Message Find more posts by Koenig Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cking
King of the muscle shirts

yes America is a superpower but it is not even close to being an empire. the u.s is slowly losing that power. I would predict another country will replace america as the superpower of the world less than 100 years from now. I think china will someway or another just because it is a dark horse and it has great potential, despite its large population and having less children because of that. some of the major concerns of america will bring it down if it isn't solved. like gay marriage, illegal immigration, social security, the welfare system, losing factories to other countries, the war in Iraq, class ism which is starting to become a major concern now, the possibility of another civil war many years from now, the bird flu,scandals involving government officials, terrorist attacks from both natives and foreigners, these are the things that will bring the u.s down not from losing any war or anything else.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2006 09:33 AM
cking is currently offline Click here to Send cking a Private Message Find more posts by cking Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grimm22
King of the Castle

The only people who consider America an empire are commies and other jerks who hate freedom

Old Post Jul 24th, 2006 01:08 AM
Grimm22 is currently offline Click here to Send Grimm22 a Private Message Find more posts by Grimm22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cking
King of the muscle shirts

are you sure about that?

Old Post Jul 24th, 2006 07:53 PM
cking is currently offline Click here to Send cking a Private Message Find more posts by cking Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kid Kurdy

I don't know if America is an empire. We can argue all night about that.

What I do know however, and this is a fact, that it acts like an Empire. Especially behind closed curtains.

Old Post Jul 24th, 2006 08:45 PM
Kid Kurdy is currently offline Click here to Send Kid Kurdy a Private Message Find more posts by Kid Kurdy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

its simply a hyper-power.

Old Post Jul 24th, 2006 09:05 PM
Grimm22
King of the Castle

Originally posted by who?-kid
I don't know if America is an empire. We can argue all night about that.

What I do know however, and this is a fact, that it acts like an Empire. Especially behind closed curtains.

People always complain that America polices the world.

However look back at Pre- WWII. When America was in isolation, there were wars and horrible things going on.

And since the UN is so corrupt, the US had to stand up and defend those who cant defend themselves.

Now if the UN actually did their jobs, this wouldnt be the case

Old Post Jul 25th, 2006 06:21 PM
Grimm22 is currently offline Click here to Send Grimm22 a Private Message Find more posts by Grimm22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kid Kurdy

Originally posted by Grimm22

Yes but it DOES police the world. That's a cold fact. It manipulates everywhere, and where it doesn't succeed in bribing, it succeeds in throwing over the government and replacing it with a more America orientated government. The examples of this are almost countless...

Before you think I attack America, I attack the way of thinking of the White House, not the American people. I hope you can see the difference.
quote:
When America was in isolation, there were wars and horrible things going on.

True. Europe for example wouldn't be the same without America. America helped Europe to beat the Nazis (though they didn't lift a finger until they were bombed at Pearl Harbour by Japan, the allies of Germany).
quote:
And since the UN is so corrupt, the US had to stand up and defend those who cant defend themselves.

Don't make me laugh. The White House only is interested in the countries with rich (oil)supplies, or in countries who have something to do with (oil)supplies.

The most horrible things are happening now in Africa (Rwanda, Sudan) it's plain mass murder, and it's going on for years and years. Have you ever heard America say one thing about Africa ? Nope. Why not ? Because Africa is poor...
quote:

Well like usual the UN will probably clean up the mess America made (like in Afghanistan and very likely in Iraq).

Old Post Jul 25th, 2006 07:38 PM
Kid Kurdy is currently offline Click here to Send Kid Kurdy a Private Message Find more posts by Kid Kurdy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

Originally posted by Grimm22

However look back at Pre- WWII. When America was in isolation, there were wars and horrible things going on.

The UN can't do its job because the US treats it like sh*t. The UN is to be above every nation...including the US. Untill that is the case (and the UN gets an army) the UN will be able to be what it was meant to be.

And the US's craptastic foreign policies have done a lot of damage to the world. American arraogance.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2006 05:29 AM
Grand-Moff-Gav

Originally posted by debbiejo
Empire......don't think so. Influential yes......Important to the rest of the world, mmmmm yep. If we go down, will take others down with us........ahhhh, yeah I think so......

Soooooooo Please buy American goods, the life you save might be your own. stick out tongue

This add is sponsored by your friendly friends on the Internet....

Well, I don't think that America will be selling goods to allot of people soon, China is supplying the world with cheap to make goods, and the EU is soon to ban shoes made in China from coming into the European Market because they don't want it to hurt Euro-Industry, chances are, the Union Will become entirely self-sufficiant.

And with China meeting the rest of the worlds needs...not alot of people for America to sell too...

Old Post Jul 26th, 2006 04:54 PM
Grand-Moff-Gav is currently offline Click here to Send Grand-Moff-Gav a Private Message Find more posts by Grand-Moff-Gav Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote