KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » The London bombings - One year on

The London bombings - One year on
Started by: Kenobi, Obi-Wan

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Kenobi, Obi-Wan

The London bombings - One year on

Britain fell silent at noon (BST - GMT+1) for two minutes to mark the anniversary of the London bombings which claimed 52 lives and injured hundreds. The silence is one of the events taking place to commemorate the 7 July suicide attacks on the capital.

RIP

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5153678.stm

Old Post Jul 7th, 2006 11:09 AM
Kenobi, Obi-Wan is currently offline Click here to Send Kenobi, Obi-Wan a Private Message Find more posts by Kenobi, Obi-Wan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr. Sandman
Sintastic

Those damn terrorists had to do it on my birthday too. Now everytime I celebrate it's on a day of a national tradgety. Grr.

Old Post Jul 7th, 2006 04:57 PM
Mr. Sandman is currently offline Click here to Send Mr. Sandman a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. Sandman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Arachnoidfreak
Those damn terrorists had to do it on my birthday too. Now everytime I celebrate it's on a day of a national tradgety. Grr.

harsh...but happy birthday anyway

i know there are a few Londoners on the board and i dont want to offend anyone but all the talk on the tv about how london showed "the blitz mentallity" etc etc after the attacks....i've never heard such drivel in my life...as brilliant a city as London is...it's the most unfriendly place i've been to in my life...and given that i've been to rio, moscow amd caracas that's saying something

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Jul 7th, 2006 05:08 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scottie
poiuytrewq

Originally posted by jaden101

i know there are a few Londoners on the board and i dont want to offend anyone but all the talk on the tv about how london showed "the blitz mentallity" etc etc after the attacks....i've never heard such drivel in my life...as brilliant a city as London is...it's the most unfriendly place i've been to in my life...and given that i've been to rio, moscow amd caracas that's saying something

london isnt unfriendly

~ This person is my favourite person on KMC ~

Old Post Jul 7th, 2006 05:30 PM
Scottie is currently offline Click here to Send Scottie a Private Message Find more posts by Scottie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Bastards.

Bulbasaur, the original... Pepe.

Last edited by Raz on Jan 1st 2000 at 00:00AM

Old Post Jul 7th, 2006 06:17 PM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xmarksthespot
CEO, BS Comics

It's sad and all... but more than 52 people probably died in those two minutes due to preventable disease, famine and drought.

Old Post Jul 7th, 2006 06:19 PM
xmarksthespot is currently offline Click here to Send xmarksthespot a Private Message Find more posts by xmarksthespot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Les yeux clos
Wisdomous

What a way to trivialise a tragic event. blink

Old Post Jul 7th, 2006 06:27 PM
Les yeux clos is currently offline Click here to Send Les yeux clos a Private Message Find more posts by Les yeux clos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Scottie
london isnt unfriendly

Hahahahahaha.

Anyway, moving on with more realistic claims: I think it's all ridiculously self-indulgent, to be honest.

The last thing I'm sure these families and victims want, is to be reminded.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Jul 7th, 2006 07:08 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KidRock

Originally posted by Arachnoidfreak

Yeah, my cousins b-day is on september 11th.

Old Post Jul 7th, 2006 08:59 PM
KidRock is currently offline Click here to Send KidRock a Private Message Find more posts by KidRock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

Originally posted by jaden101

Is that relevant? How friendly or unfriendly a city was when you visited shouldn't really feature in our thoughts regarding the people who died.

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Jul 7th, 2006 09:22 PM
Syren is currently offline Click here to Send Syren a Private Message Find more posts by Syren Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

Originally posted by xmarksthespot
It's sad and all... but more than 52 people probably died in those two minutes due to preventable disease, famine and drought.

Why would you even feel the need to point that out? We are all well aware that people die every day from natural causes, but it doesn't make each death easier to bear, you can't just shrug your shoulders and say something so callous. Have a little heart.

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Anyway, moving on with more realistic claims: I think it's all ridiculously self-indulgent, to be honest.

The last thing I'm sure these families and victims want, is to be reminded.

-AC

How is it self indulgent? Who are we supposed to be indulging? I certainly don't gain any pleasure or self satisfaction from remembering the event or feeling pity for those who died, or those who lost someone.

How the hell can showing a little sympathy for loss be wrong?

ThorinWoofer

Last edited by Syren on Jul 7th, 2006 at 09:26 PM

Old Post Jul 7th, 2006 09:23 PM
Syren is currently offline Click here to Send Syren a Private Message Find more posts by Syren Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

Sorry for the triple post, I got a little ahead of myself embarrasment

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Jul 7th, 2006 09:25 PM
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Syren
Is that relevant? How friendly or unfriendly a city was when you visited shouldn't really feature in our thoughts regarding the people who died.

it's relevant to the fact that they used the so called blitz mentallity and London's false image of a city united as if it were a weapon against the terrorists

saying that...they did claim that London wasn't changed by the terrorist acts a year ago and they're right...it was an unfriendly place before the attacks and it's still an unfriendly place now

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Jul 7th, 2006 11:18 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deano

create a thread for the people who have died in iraq then.

i have lost people through death, and i didnt want people giving me sympathy. that might just be me tho.

"How about this? Shut your mouth...Or I'll kick your teeth down your throat and shut it for you."

Old Post Jul 7th, 2006 11:51 PM
Deano is currently offline Click here to Send Deano a Private Message Find more posts by Deano Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

How is it self indulgent? Who are we supposed to be indulging? I certainly don't gain any pleasure or self satisfaction from remembering the event or feeling pity for those who died, or those who lost someone.

Then feel pity on your own, by yourself. Arrange your own two minutes of silence if you feel so strongly on the matter.

I don't see why every survivor or victim of loss should be reminded further of such an event by every newspaper, tv news show and radio broadcast, just so you and the rest of this country can say "Look, we remember when your husbandbrother/sister/partner/daughter/son/mother/father etc died. It's sad isn't it?".

Yes, it's incredibly tragic that this is the state of the modern world, people blowing each other up. It is sad, and I can agree there. However, I don't think any of them need to be reminded. One year on and most people are probably trying their hardest to move on to the best of their ability, how dare you make it some national beacon of reminder?

If you want to pity them, then that's up to you, do it on your own time. It's probably hard enough for the poor people as it is, let alone having everyone going "Aww". If you had any REAL compassion you'd get what I'm saying.

Furthermore, I hate the fact that this city isn't counting it's chickens that we didn't get it a lot worse, because it sure as hell could have been. When we have an act committed against us that is equal to that of September the 11th, then we can react like that. I think it's disgraceful that people try to refer to it -and subsequently market it- as 7/7, in some kind of "Look, America. We're in the same boat." sympathy moment. July 7th was tragic, but we got "lucky", and don't you ever forget that.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Last edited by Alpha Centauri on Jul 8th, 2006 at 12:02 AM

Old Post Jul 7th, 2006 11:56 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deano

what the people of 7/11 have suffered was unimaginable, but where is
the outpouring of grief, the government statements of regret and a minutes silence for the tens of thousands of iraqis who have been killed and maimed as a result of the American and British invasion of that country?
are they not worthy of the same respect and response?

thats what annoys me slightly about people in general because they are trapped in the 'proud to be british program' and 'proud to be american program' where only there 'own' are more important. thats the feeling i get about folks

"How about this? Shut your mouth...Or I'll kick your teeth down your throat and shut it for you."

Old Post Jul 8th, 2006 12:10 AM
Deano is currently offline Click here to Send Deano a Private Message Find more posts by Deano Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

The issue I have is not with people feeling pity or grief, expressing sympathy or well wishes. It's with the whole "We have to make this a massive national advertising campaign.".

If it's such an unforgettable event, why make everyone remember? It wouldn't be because even those involved are probably TRYING to move on and put it behind them, would it?

"NO! Look! This isn't forgettable! We must remind everyone!".

If you want to do your silence, express your grief or plant your wreathes, then do it, but I guarantee you that if everyone wasn't reminded, a HUGE amount of people would forget. That's why they remind everyone. Instead of using the best way to combat terrorism, that being to say "F*ck you, we're not letting this stop us moving on and living life", the media takes a day to say "Everyone stop doing anything, remember this and be sad.". It's backward, to the highest order.

Furthermore, people only do it because everyone else does. As soon as the measly two minutes are up, it's "Yeah so then she said to me...". Nobody actually cares, at least be honest about it.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Jul 8th, 2006 12:28 AM
autumn dreams
Help Me Think Of A Title!

I agree with you somewhat, AC. Terrorist attacks are not the sort of thing you want to be made to remember.

Every year, on the anniversary of September 11, we see that same old, same old footage of planes crashing into buildings, people covered in blood, screaming, dying etc. Do we have to be reminded of something no one is ever going to forget?

Londoners will never forget the bombings. It's wonderful to have a day of rememberance, but people do not need to see those frighting images of blood and gore on their TV screens again.

Old Post Jul 8th, 2006 01:31 AM
autumn dreams is currently offline Click here to Send autumn dreams a Private Message Find more posts by autumn dreams Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xmarksthespot
CEO, BS Comics

Originally posted by Fiann@
What a way to trivialise a tragic event. blink
No, a good way to trivialise a tragic event is to hold two minutes silence and actually think it makes any impact whatsoever. It is just self-indulgence.
you can't just shrug your shoulders and say something so callous.
We are all well aware that people die every day from natural causes
What an interestingly oxymoronic statement.
but it doesn't make each death easier to bear
Obviously some are easier to bear. Otherwise we'd be silent all the time and this entire forum would be "2,300 people died today of malaria."

Preventable disease, famine and drought aren't exactly natural causes, being preventable and all. no expression

Old Post Jul 8th, 2006 04:03 AM
xmarksthespot is currently offline Click here to Send xmarksthespot a Private Message Find more posts by xmarksthespot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

That's exactly what I said about those two minutes, X. It's precisely right.

First off, a much less amount of people would have remembered the 7th of July had they not been reminded. Second, how many people simple just shut up for two minutes because everyone else does? Maybe they spend a couple seconds thinking about it, but then it's back to talking about last night's soap opera or the football.

I just think all this grieving should be done on your own time.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Jul 8th, 2006 10:42 AM