KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » another musician/celebrity, another cause....

another musician/celebrity, another cause....
Started by: KharmaDog

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
KharmaDog
Dyslexic Agnostic

another musician/celebrity, another cause....

Recently Jimmy Buffet commented that his line of restaurants are now boycotting Canadian seafood because of the seal hunt.

I wonder Mr. Buffet is aware of the current overpopulation of harp seals on the eastern coast of Canada and the damage that they are inflicting on the fishery in conjunction with the many international fleets off our banks? I was also wondering if he considered that if more people take part in the boycott, it will destroy an already fragile east coast economy were many people already live close to the poverty line and depend on eco-related opportunities to make ends meet.

I also wonder as to Mr. Buffet's education on this issue. To speak out and act as he has, I sure hope he has looked closely at the problem and the economic and environmental negatives that would harm the eastern fishery and environment if this hunt were to totally cease.

Taking a stand is admirable. Taking an uneducated stand that ill affects the economy, a good percentage of the population and the environmental balance of an entire region is both irresponsible, and rather ignorant.

Perhaps instead of enacting a boycott, Mr. Buffet could have offered some suggestions as to how to both control an out of control population of animals, and how to put food on the tables of the families on the east coast who rely on the seal hunt to make it through the year. Or perhaps, he could have just shut his cake-hole and continued to make money off an already overharvested sea with his chain of seafood restaurants.

My point basically is, is anyone else sick of these morons speaking out about issues that they really have no grasp on?

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2006 08:38 PM
KharmaDog is currently offline Click here to Send KharmaDog a Private Message Find more posts by KharmaDog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: another musician/celebrity, another cause....

quote: (post)
Originally posted by KharmaDog
My point basically is, is anyone else sick of these morons speaking out about issues that they really have no grasp on?

I'm of two minds about this issue. One the one hand, they feel they have the right to speak out for or against any number of issues as a matter of some civic duty. But we validate their behavior by paying them any attention.

"If you were me, you'd know the safest place to hide...is in sanity!

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2006 08:47 PM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KharmaDog
Dyslexic Agnostic

Re: Re: another musician/celebrity, another cause....

Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
I'm of two minds about this issue. One the one hand, they feel they have the right to speak out for or against any number of issues as a matter of some civic duty. But we validate their behavior by paying them any attention.

I have no problem with people speaking out, and I understand how one could want to use their celebrity status to make a point. It just seems that so often these people have their heads so far up their own asses that they have no idea what they are talking about and even less regard for the responsibility or consequences of their actions.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2006 08:57 PM
KharmaDog is currently offline Click here to Send KharmaDog a Private Message Find more posts by KharmaDog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

The only Buffet I'm interested in is Hometown Buffet.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2006 08:57 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Soleran
Fast As Time

Re: another musician/celebrity, another cause....

Does it really matter, he doesn't like it and he owns the business. There we go...........

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2006 12:36 AM
Soleran is currently offline Click here to Send Soleran a Private Message Find more posts by Soleran Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KharmaDog
Dyslexic Agnostic

Re: Re: another musician/celebrity, another cause....

Originally posted by Soleran
Does it really matter, he doesn't like it and he owns the business. There we go...........

Unfortunately, his opinion matters to many, and that affects the lives of others.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2006 01:22 AM
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

*posts apathetically*

Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2006 01:46 AM
Ya Krunk'd Floo is currently offline Click here to Send Ya Krunk'd Floo a Private Message Find more posts by Ya Krunk'd Floo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ToMacco
Mr. Orange

I find it best to simply roll my eyes and change the channel when I hear famous people speaking out.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2006 02:18 AM
ToMacco is currently offline Click here to Send ToMacco a Private Message Find more posts by ToMacco Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

he's been spending too much time in margaritaville

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2006 03:20 AM
PVS is currently offline Click here to Send PVS a Private Message Find more posts by PVS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ToMacco
Mr. Orange

me too. . .

4 8 15 16 23 42

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2006 03:31 AM
ToMacco is currently offline Click here to Send ToMacco a Private Message Find more posts by ToMacco Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

have you found your lost shaker of salt?

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2006 03:44 AM
PVS is currently offline Click here to Send PVS a Private Message Find more posts by PVS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ToMacco
Mr. Orange

Yeah, it was at the bottom of my beer. *I'm a stupid drunken bastard*

4 8 15 16 23 42

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2006 03:51 AM
debbiejo
Dreamer

Originally posted by ToMacco
Yeah, it was at the bottom of my beer. *I'm a stupid drunken bastard*
What's it doing in a beer? blink

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2006 03:55 AM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ToMacco
Mr. Orange

I dropped it, dammit.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2006 04:00 AM
Soleran
Fast As Time

Re: Re: Re: another musician/celebrity, another cause....

Unfortunately, his opinion matters to many, and that affects the lives of others.

So stop killing seals and do as he asks to save the economy.

Which I realize is a double edged sword but none the less.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2006 07:43 AM
Soleran is currently offline Click here to Send Soleran a Private Message Find more posts by Soleran Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fishy

Over simplification of issues seems to be the current trend, even in politics... Stupid idiots almost never realize something just isn't that black and white.

Thanks TWelling4Ever

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2006 01:20 PM
Fishy is currently offline Click here to Send Fishy a Private Message Find more posts by Fishy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote