KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » 'Big Brother' Racism - Shilpa Shetty

'Big Brother' Racism - Shilpa Shetty
Started by: Syren

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Syren
dreaming

'Big Brother' Racism - Shilpa Shetty

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/articl...51297_1,00.html

quote:
Threatening e-mails were sent to Celebrity Big Brother housemates last night after 10,000 complaints about the alleged racist bullying of one contestant.

Hertfordshire Constabulary would not say if the two e-mails were related to the furore surrounding the comments made by several housemates about the Bollywood star Shilpa Shetty.

A spokesman said: “Hertfordshire Constabulary has been made aware of two e-mails that have been received by the television studios that contain unspecified threats against a number of the housemates.”

The spokesman also confirmed that police had received a complaint about comments made about the actress at the Big Brother house in Elstree and a decision would be taken today whether to begin an investigation.

Police involvement came as media watchdogs said that they cannot intervene to halt the treatment of Shetty on the Channel 4 reality show.

The actress has been called a “dog” and contestants have complained about her touching their food. The pop singer Jo O’Meara declared that Indians were thin because they were always ill as a result of undercooking food. Shetty’s accent has been mocked and she was asked if she lived in a shack.

Channel 4 has denied claims that Shetty had been called a “Paki”.

Ofcom, the media watchdog, said that it had received 7,600 complaints, the highest number since the BBC screened Jerry Springer — The Opera. It said that it will investigate whether the programme has breached broadcasting rules.

Channel 4 has received a further 2,000 e-mails and calls.

Carphone Warehouse said that it was reviewing its sponsorship of Big Brother and did not rule out abandoning the arrangement.

Charles Dunstone, its chief executive, told The Times: “We are talking to Channel 4. The sponsorship is constantly under review. Clearly, we are against racism.”

He said that responsibility for the content of Big Brother lay with the programme maker. “Most people understand that the person who has their name associated with the programme does not necessarily condone the content.”

Carphone Warehouse has been sponsoring the show since 2004. It pays an estimated £3 million a year for Big Brother and Celebrity Big Brother.

Keith Vaz, the Labour MP, tabled a Commons motion calling on Channel 4 to take “urgent action to remind housemates that racist behaviour is unacceptable”.

Complaints have been registered on the website digitalspy.co.uk. One viewer wrote: “As an Indian, I feel thoroughly ashamed. It seems racism is still rife in this country.”

The actress signed up for the show, which has another two weeks to run, to demonstrate that Indians are “modern, intelligent and glamorous”. Shetty said on entering the house: “The only thing I really hope to keep is my self-respect and my dignity.”

Channel 4 said that it did not tolerate bullying or racist abuse but believed that social interactions of the group were “part of the Big Brother story and viewers have a right to see these portrayed accurately. This is balanced with our duty not to broadcast material that may cause unjustifiable offence”.

The broadcaster did not believe that racist comments had been made and said that Shetty had made no complaint to producers.

Under Big Brother rules, a contestant guilty of racist abuse could be thrown out, but when one told a “Paki” joke in 2002, he received a verbal reprimand.

Housemates accused of abusing Shetty include Danielle Lloyd, a model, and Jade Goody, a former Big Brother contestant. The charity Act Against Bullying has dropped Goody from its literature.

Channel 4 would be reluctant to turf out housemates. Three have left voluntarily and viewing figures are down on last year.

Candid camera

Jade Goody on Shilpa Shetty: “She makes me feel sick. She makes my skin crawl.”

Danielle Lloyd “She’s a dog.”

After Shetty made roast chicken for the group, Jo O’Meara said: “I don’t trust that chicken. I want to eat it but I’m scared.”

Lloyd “You don’t know where those hands have been.”

Jackiey Budden, Goody’s mother, to Shetty: “Do you live in a house or a shack?” She called Shetty “the Indian” and refused to pronounce her name.

Lloyd to Shetty: “Do you get stubble?”

O’Meara “Like a man.”

Lloyd to Jade “She wants to be white.”

Jack Tweed called Shetty a “c***”.

Shetty: “Why do they hate me? Why am I detested?”

“Were they bullying Shilpa last night?” asked Jermaine Jackson.

“Yeah,” replied Ian “H” Watkins. “I’m not playing those games. I’m not going to be part of it.”

What do you think of the alleged (obvious, imo) racism? Should the contestants guilty of abuse against Shilpa be removed from the house and suitably 'punished'? Are the Big Brother producers deliberately ignoring/denying the treatment of Shilpa? Or has everything that's happened just been blown out of proportion?

Personally, from what I've seen on the show when I have watched it and what I've read has been said on the shows I've missed, I'm pretty disgusted. Not just by the behaviour of the housemates towards Shilpa, but the reaction, or lack of, the producers and so on. Are ratings really worth sending out a message that gross racism is ok and accepted by society? Especially when you consider that the ratings are low anyway... I dislike Celebrity Big Brother, I'm more of a fan of the 'normal' version, but this series has ended any interest I did have in the show.

Comments?

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Jan 17th, 2007 12:42 PM
Syren is currently offline Click here to Send Syren a Private Message Find more posts by Syren Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
botankus
Bass-ackwards

Who the hell is Shilpa Shetty? Is she famous only from Big Brother?

Old Post Jan 17th, 2007 12:43 PM
botankus is currently offline Click here to Send botankus a Private Message Find more posts by botankus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by botankus
Who the hell is Shilpa Shetty? Is she famous only from Big Brother?

bollywood actress...apparently...

although i live in the UK i have no idea what this about and nor do i care...

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Jan 17th, 2007 12:49 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by jaden101
bollywood actress...apparently...

although i live in the UK i have no idea what this about and nor do i care...

me too. except i live in the USA.

All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you wanna look, I **** like you wanna ****, I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2007 12:52 PM
Rogue Jedi is currently offline Click here to Send Rogue Jedi a Private Message Find more posts by Rogue Jedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

All its participants should be shot and those who watch it should be endlessly ridiculed and subjected to massive public shaming, if they aren't already ashamed of themselves.

That's my two pence and if you have a problem with my lack of "contribution", my ready-made reply is: "You watch Big Brother.".

Originally posted by Syren
Are ratings really worth sending out a message that gross racism is ok and accepted by society?

Are ratings really worth having one or more series of the original show, much less Celebrity Big Brother, Teen Big Brother etc?

One time was bad enough but ok, once. Twice was more than overkill. They show Teen Big Brother and more or less coax (from what I heard by way of an acquaintance and newspapers) two of them into having sex, and our society wants to complain about sex crimes against youngsters.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Last edited by Alpha Centauri on Jan 17th, 2007 at 12:56 PM

Old Post Jan 17th, 2007 12:53 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

all reality TV is crap, i think. i believe its mostly scripted.

All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you wanna look, I **** like you wanna ****, I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2007 12:54 PM
Rogue Jedi is currently offline Click here to Send Rogue Jedi a Private Message Find more posts by Rogue Jedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Even if it's not intended to be "scripted", there is no way that you enter a house with other strangers, aware that millions upon millions will be watching and, even sadder, possibly garnering a hatred/love for you, and not act up to cameras.

It's psychologically impossible.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2007 12:57 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
botankus
Bass-ackwards

I believe there was a strike threat among reality TV script writers a few years ago. They were working an insane amount of hours and not getting the justified pay increases.

botankus is currently offline Click here to Send botankus a Private Message Find more posts by botankus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vintageSW77
MANCUNIAN

well as my other half watches celeb BB i have caught some of it
maybe its bigger in the UK than elswhere
im not a big fan but its good to see minor celebs being put through mental torture but what is happening with Shilpa is bullying
its obvious the brain dead monstosity that is Jade Goody is jealous of Shilpas looks and her boyfreind is an embarrasment with the personality of a tin of paint
Jade Goody is a ****ing horror and is typical of the trash that you see every saturday night sparked out covered in vomit after too many WKDs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPHBqi5Lv54

Last edited by vintageSW77 on Jan 17th, 2007 at 01:02 PM

vintageSW77 is currently offline Click here to Send vintageSW77 a Private Message Find more posts by vintageSW77 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Even if it's not intended to be "scripted", there is no way that you enter a house with other strangers, aware that millions upon millions will be watching and, even sadder, possibly garnering a hatred/love for you, and not act up to cameras.

It's psychologically impossible.

-AC

dood, you have NO idea how much i agree with you here. its like these people that go on jerry springer....."my mom is my lover and she cheated on me with my uncle and they have a love child who is in fact an alien and they both are communists!!!"

Old Post Jan 17th, 2007 01:00 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Just admit you watch it.

Don't say "I don't watch it...but...*Details*". We all end up knowing at least some of their names here in Britain, purely because they're everywhere, but if you know the details that could only come from watching it, just say it. It's a Big Brother thread.

Nothing worse than that.

To RJ: Exactly. "WHAT?! I DIDN'T KNOW WE'D BE ON THIS SHOW TO DISCUSS OUR REAL, GENUINE PROBLEMS! I'M FURIOUS BUT I BETTER SIT DOWN AND DO THIS BECAUSE I'M SO FURIOUS!". You'd just not do it, you'd say "F*ck off you stupid b*tch, don't come back, I'm changing the locks.".

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2007 01:00 PM
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

righto, AC. even if their problems were genuine, who in their right mind would go on TV and expose themselves?

Old Post Jan 17th, 2007 01:07 PM
amity75

Jade Goody is the most vile human being ever to be shat into civilisation and the Shilpa racism row has overshadowed the fact that Jade repeatedly spoke about "Eskimos" which is the Innuit equivalent of the "N" word.

Post in the Indiana Jones forum.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2007 01:07 PM
amity75 is currently offline Click here to Send amity75 a Private Message Find more posts by amity75 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Exactly, it's just stupid.

I've never actually sat and thought "Who goes to watch these shows live?", because I get depressed and have the urge to wage biological warfare.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2007 01:08 PM
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

i realized that reality TV was scripted one day when watching that MTV show where strangers liver together.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2007 01:09 PM
vintageSW77
MANCUNIAN

i reckon i see about half the shows broadcast in the week but i never miss Russel Brand after it
guy is funny as ****

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPHBqi5Lv54

Old Post Jan 17th, 2007 01:10 PM
vintageSW77 is currently offline Click here to Send vintageSW77 a Private Message Find more posts by vintageSW77 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
All its participants should be shot and those who watch it should be endlessly ridiculed and subjected to massive public shaming, if they aren't already ashamed of themselves.

That's my two pence and if you have a problem with my lack of "contribution", my ready-made reply is: "You watch Big Brother.".

I do watch it, although not regularly, and I apologise smile

quote:
Are ratings really worth having one or more series of the original show, much less Celebrity Big Brother, Teen Big Brother etc?

One time was bad enough but ok, once. Twice was more than overkill. They show Teen Big Brother and more or less coax (from what I heard by way of an acquaintance and newspapers) two of them into having sex, and our society wants to complain about sex crimes against youngsters.

-AC

The ratings were high at one time, it was obviously a popular show. I do see your point about it being overkill and I seem to recall agreeing with you before about that; should the series be axed I'm sure I won't miss it. But for now the intention of this thread was to discuss the racism against a housemate, not whether someone appreciates the show or not.

Irrelevant of the fact that you think the show should be cancelled, should never have been shown in the first place etc., what do you think of the way Shilpa is being treated?

Originally posted by amity75
Jade Goody is the most vile human being ever to be shat into civilisation and the Shilpa racism row has overshadowed the fact that Jade repeatedly spoke about "Eskimos" which is the Innuit equivalent of the "N" word.

I saw that... my god, I laughed my ass off laughing out loud

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Jan 17th, 2007 01:11 PM
Syren is currently offline Click here to Send Syren a Private Message Find more posts by Syren Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by amity75
the Innuit equivalent of the "N" word.

And here I was thinking that it was just a misconstrued evolution of the term Esquimaux, the peoples of around Siberia.

Not sure where you got the authority to equate it with the racial slur that is the N word.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2007 01:12 PM
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

line them up, AC. read them their rights, ask them what they want on their tombstone, hope that they dont say pepperoni, then BLAM!!!! i'm with you.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2007 01:13 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Syren
Irrelevant of the fact that you think the show should be cancelled, should never have been shown in the first place etc., what do you think of the way Shilpa is being treated?

Popular means nothing, for the record.

Secondly, I don't know how she's being treated, or what's happening. I saw a Big Brother thread and zeroed in for the kill to be honest. I'll read the post then reply accordingly. I will afford you that, at least.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2007 01:14 PM