KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Mooninite Causes Bomb Scare

Mooninite Causes Bomb Scare
Started by: Morgoths_Wrath

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Morgoths_Wrath

Mooninite Causes Bomb Scare

quote:
BOSTON, Massachusetts (CNN) -- Electronic light boards featuring an adult-cartoon character triggered bomb scares around Boston on Wednesday, spurring authorities to close two bridges and a stretch of the Charles River before determining the devices were harmless.

Turner Broadcasting Co., the parent company of CNN, said the battery-operated light boards were aimed at promoting the late-night Adult Swim cartoon "Aqua Teen Hunger Force." The devices had been placed around Boston and nine other cities as part of an "outdoor marketing campaign," a company statement said.

"While the concern is lessened as a result of the investigation, I'd like to remind citizens to treat any suspicious devices with care and to call 911 if any such device is found," Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis said.

The devices had been placed as part of an "outdoor marketing campaign," a Turner Broadcasting statement said.

"Parent company Turner Broadcasting is in contact with local and federal law enforcement on the exact locations of the billboards," the statement said. "We regret that they were mistakenly thought to pose any danger." (Read the full statement)

The devices displayed one of the "Mooninites," outer-space delinquents who make frequent appearances on the cartoon, greeting passersby with a raised middle finger. Nine were reported around Boston on Wednesday, sending police bomb squads scrambling and snarling traffic and mass transit in one of the largest U.S. cities.

Boston police spokeswoman Elaine Driscoll called Wednesday's incidents "a colossal waste of money." She had no immediate comment on whether any laws were broken but said police would investigate further.

And Rep. Ed Markey, the senior member of the state's House delegation, said, "Whoever thought this up needs to find another job."

"Scaring an entire region, tying up the T and major roadways, and forcing first responders to spend 12 hours chasing down trinkets instead of terrorists is marketing run amok," Markey, a Democrat, said in a written statement. "It would be hard to dream up a more appalling publicity stunt."

Turner said the devices had been in place for two to three weeks in Boston; New York; Los Angeles, California; Chicago, Illinois; Atlanta, Georgia; Seattle, Washington; Portland, Oregon; Austin, Texas; San Francisco, California; and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

A Turner Broadcasting source said the devices were a component of a third-party advertising campaign conducted by the New York advertising firm Interference Inc. That company had no comment on the incident.

The discovery of nine of the devices around metro Boston led state, local and federal authorities to close the Boston University and Longfellow Bridges, and block boat traffic from the Charles River to Boston Harbor.

In addition, the Pentagon said U.S. Northern Command was monitoring the situation from its headquarters in Colorado Springs, Colorado, but said none of its units were sent to assist.

Davis said police "are going to fully investigate this and get to the bottom of it."

The first suspicious device to be reported reported Wednesday morning was at the Sullivan Square commuter rail station, near the suburb of Somerville. Wednesday afternoon, four other devices were reported -- near the Longfellow and Boston University bridges over the Charles, at New England Medical Center and near the intersection of Stuart and Columbus avenues in the city.

Mayor Thomas Menino's office said nine of the light boards were found around metropolitan Boston.

"I want to be certain that we take all of these reports very seriously," Menino said in a written statement. "The coordinated response by all departments proves the system we have in place works."

(please log in to view the image)

If they would've just watched the show, there would be no problem

Old Post Feb 1st, 2007 01:40 AM
Morgoths_Wrath is currently offline Click here to Send Morgoths_Wrath a Private Message Find more posts by Morgoths_Wrath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Soleran
Fast As Time

Aqua Teen Hunger Force rocks.

Thats actually comical.

Old Post Feb 1st, 2007 01:50 AM
Soleran is currently offline Click here to Send Soleran a Private Message Find more posts by Soleran Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

proof that boston is full of retards.

Old Post Feb 1st, 2007 05:23 PM
PVS is currently offline Click here to Send PVS a Private Message Find more posts by PVS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dirkdirden
Senor Membber

I put two and two together and decided that Boston is retarded.

Old Post Feb 1st, 2007 05:29 PM
dirkdirden is currently offline Click here to Send dirkdirden a Private Message Find more posts by dirkdirden Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
smoker4
Me name be Leon

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Morgoths_Wrath

laughing out loud Yeast unleashed in the East

F**k you Loggins

Old Post Feb 1st, 2007 08:30 PM
smoker4 is currently offline Click here to Send smoker4 a Private Message Find more posts by smoker4 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dani_california

I came home wednesday and turned on the tv only to see a mooninite giving me the finger with the head line "suspicious devices found at T station"

This city is ****ing retarded, or more fittingly, retahded

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2007 01:34 AM
dani_california is currently offline Click here to Send dani_california a Private Message Find more posts by dani_california Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arcade Fire
My Last Title Was Queer

Re: Mooninite Causes Bomb Scare

That's just not right.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2007 01:43 AM
Arcade Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Arcade Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Arcade Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

That caused a bomb scare?

I wonder what would happen if someone put up something bomb related.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2007 02:48 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
botankus
Bass-ackwards

I hate advertising so unfortunately I have to take the side of the retards in this one.

Last edited by botankus on Feb 2nd, 2007 at 05:45 PM

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2007 05:39 PM
botankus is currently offline Click here to Send botankus a Private Message Find more posts by botankus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dirkdirden
Senor Membber

Re: Re: Mooninite Causes Bomb Scare

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
That caused a bomb scare?

I wonder what would happen if someone put up something bomb related.

They wouldn't catch them. If your going to plant a bomb you are going to be a lot more sneaky than advertizers.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2007 06:02 PM
dirkdirden is currently offline Click here to Send dirkdirden a Private Message Find more posts by dirkdirden Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
silver_tears

That happened here too.

*edit*
Also the officials quoted should be shot, since most of them are ****ing idiots.

Last edited by silver_tears on Feb 2nd, 2007 at 06:12 PM

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2007 06:07 PM
silver_tears is currently offline Click here to Send silver_tears a Private Message Find more posts by silver_tears Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
botankus
Bass-ackwards

How big were these devices? I'm imagining that they were about 500mm x 500mm, possibly?

If I found one, I wouldn't know what the hell it was, but I don't think I would've gone to the authorities about it. I probably would've just kicked it or urinated on it...one of the two.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2007 06:20 PM
botankus is currently offline Click here to Send botankus a Private Message Find more posts by botankus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Strangelove
Misunderstood Genius

People are so ****ing paranoid laughing out loud

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2007 07:32 PM
Strangelove is currently offline Click here to Send Strangelove a Private Message Find more posts by Strangelove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

I live and work here in Boston but luckily i wasn't delayed by the occurrences. I got into work 7:50 am that day.

Most of my coworkers came in late though. I thought it was actually funny kinda, the whole thing. They shut down the "T" which includes the buses, trains, Interstate 93 was closed too.

The 2 guys are on the cover of todays B. Herald, B. Globe and the Metro smiling and laughing but it costs the city, what, $500 thousand. Crazy.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2007 09:03 PM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

a little paranoia here or what????

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2007 11:48 PM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
meep-meep
What are you angry about?

What the f is matter with the Boston Police department??

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2007 03:56 PM
meep-meep is currently offline Click here to Send meep-meep a Private Message Find more posts by meep-meep Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

These signs were placed in 10 cities, including my Chicago. NOTHING happened here, or in any other of the 8 cities.

The Boston police department is making this out to be an apocalypse. Overreacting is an understatement, as is hysterical.

| Sigs | My Artwork | Sig Duel Record 24:4 | Alliance Respect Thread |

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2007 06:14 PM
Ordo is currently offline Click here to Send Ordo a Private Message Find more posts by Ordo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chiken panda
FOX

Iheard who ever put those up were going to be arrested.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2007 02:25 AM
chiken panda is currently offline Click here to Send chiken panda a Private Message Find more posts by chiken panda Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Alliance
These signs were placed in 10 cities, including my Chicago.

including NEW ****ING YORK.

thats what i love. the people who were actually attacked paid it no mind.

nothing against people from boston. im sure alot of you are cool, in fact i know it. however its time to pause, take a look around at your neighbors, and ponder just whether or not you're surrounded by retards.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2007 03:55 PM
PVS is currently offline Click here to Send PVS a Private Message Find more posts by PVS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

Yeah, surrounded by retards like Mayor Menino's administration.

KMC'ers, the real question is how does something that looks like the "Lite Brite" toy from the 80's resemble an explosive device. The city practically shut down over a foot-long billboard my 10-year old nephew would've recognized as a toy.

Although i believe it's better to err on the side of caution, the city completely overreacted, unnecessarily.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Feb 6th, 2007 12:03 AM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote