KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » illegal for under-18s to buy tobacco in U.K. from today

illegal for under-18s to buy tobacco in U.K. from today
Started by: Zebedee

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Dexter_Morgan
Restricted

Account Restricted

illegal for under-18s to buy tobacco in U.K. from today

A new law making it illegal for under-18s to buy tobacco comes into force.

(Advertisement)
The legal age for buying tobacco rises from 16 to 18, bringing it into line with alcohol.

Health campaigners welcomed the move, saying it would be easier for retailers and customers to follow the law.

But critics accused the Government of a "woefully inadequate" advertising campaign, saying only one in five 16 to 18-year-olds knew about the change.

The Department of Health hopes the move will cut the number of teenage smokers and has promised a hard crackdown on retailers who flout the law.

Shop owners will have to display signs in their windows and could face fines or prosecution if they sell tobacco to those under-age.

A spokesman for the British Retail Consortium said it supported a move to bring tobacco in line with alcohol, fireworks and glue.

"Retailers are well aware of the change and have been doing their bit to inform customers," he said. "But, from today, we will see how successful the Government's promised campaign has been in preventing stores becoming conflict flashpoints as shop staff say "no" to 16 and 17-year-olds who have been able to buy cigarettes previously."

The Association of Convenience Stores, which represents around 33,000 local shops, criticised the Government's "largely internet-based" advertising campaign for shoppers.

It was certainly news to me

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 01:41 PM
Dexter_Morgan is currently offline Click here to Send Dexter_Morgan a Private Message Find more posts by Dexter_Morgan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Magee

The age being 16 didnt stop me when I was 14 or any one else i knew, its quite easy to find a corner shop that doesnt give a shit. Its easier to just buy imported **** from people who sell them. They think this will change some thing but god knows what that is. Granted I wish I didn't start now but really theres no way to stop some one thats under age who wants to smoke for what ever reason.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 01:49 PM
Magee is currently offline Click here to Send Magee a Private Message Find more posts by Magee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexter_Morgan
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Magee
The age being 16 didnt stop me when I was 14 or any one else i knew, its quite easy to find a corner shop that doesnt give a shit. Its easier to just buy imported **** from people who sell them. They think this will change some thing but god knows what that is. Granted I wish I didn't start now but really theres no way to stop some one thats under age who wants to smoke for what ever reason.

Did you know this was happening though?

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 02:05 PM
Dexter_Morgan is currently offline Click here to Send Dexter_Morgan a Private Message Find more posts by Dexter_Morgan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quiero Mota

Well I guess the U.S. really does have a lot of influence in Britian.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 02:39 PM
Quiero Mota is currently offline Click here to Send Quiero Mota a Private Message Find more posts by Quiero Mota Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chillmeistergen
Restricted

Account Restricted

I work in a shop part time and to be honest, this is going to be a nightmare. The number of local kids that I know are 16 and 17 and smoke is massive, when they are refused sale it's going to kick off.

It's also adding massive confusion to matters, staff are going to have to get used to not doing something they've been doing for years and years, and customers are going to have to live with the fact that yesterday they could buy them; today they can't.

"All morons hate it when you call them a moron." - Holden Caulfield

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 02:40 PM
chillmeistergen is currently offline Click here to Send chillmeistergen a Private Message Find more posts by chillmeistergen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexter_Morgan
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by chillmeistergen
I work in a shop part time and to be honest, this is going to be a nightmare. The number of local kids that I know are 16 and 17 and smoke is massive, when they are refused sale it's going to kick off.

It's also adding massive confusion to matters, staff are going to have to get used to not doing something they've been doing for years and years, and customers are going to have to live with the fact that yesterday they could buy them; today they can't.

Yes it's going to make things very difficult as i bet these local "smoker kids" are the most difficult type of kid.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 02:50 PM
chillmeistergen
Restricted

Account Restricted

Unfortunately, yes.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 02:52 PM
chillmeistergen is currently offline Click here to Send chillmeistergen a Private Message Find more posts by chillmeistergen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexter_Morgan
Restricted

Account Restricted

Unfortunately, yes.

I can see shoplifting, assaults on shop staff, intimidation etc. All going up.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 02:54 PM
chillmeistergen
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yeah pretty much, I'm not particularly worried about shoplifters. But the assault thing, it's not really worth my measly part time wage to get attacked.

I'll have to find another way to afford going out on the weekend and funding my studies, if it happens.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 03:02 PM
Dexter_Morgan
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yeah pretty much, I'm not particularly worried about shoplifters. But the assault thing, it's not really worth my measly part time wage to get attacked.

I'll have to find another way to afford going out on the weekend and funding my studies, if it happens.

Fair comment, are you old enough to do bar work?

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 03:05 PM
chillmeistergen
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yeah, I'm 18 and have thought about it for a while. It doesn't really matter what I do as long as I get a little bit of money to tide me over.

I'm on my year out at the moment and jobs mean very little to me. Having fun and enjoying the company I've got here, while I can means a lot more.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 03:11 PM
Dexter_Morgan
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yeah, I'm 18 and have thought about it for a while. It doesn't really matter what I do as long as I get a little bit of money to tide me over.

I'm on my year out at the moment and jobs mean very little to me. Having fun and enjoying the company I've got here, while I can means a lot more.

Fair enough, but a bar job in a vibrant young pub/club might actually aid you in that.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 03:13 PM
chillmeistergen
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yeah, that's a good point.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 03:14 PM
Deadline

Yeah, that's a good point.

Anyway you got no problem getting cigs gramps. Your well over the age limit. stick out tongue

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 03:17 PM
Deadline is currently offline Click here to Send Deadline a Private Message Find more posts by Deadline Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chillmeistergen
Restricted

Account Restricted

18's well over nowadays is it?

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 03:19 PM
Deadline

18's well over nowadays is it?

No 72. no expression

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 03:20 PM
Deadline is currently offline Click here to Send Deadline a Private Message Find more posts by Deadline Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chillmeistergen
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well, hopefully I don't look 72. That would be a bit of a piss take.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 03:24 PM
Schecter
Restricted

Account Restricted

wow....you mean they've been selling tobacco to kids all this time?

"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here."

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 03:29 PM
Schecter is currently offline Click here to Send Schecter a Private Message Find more posts by Schecter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chillmeistergen
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well, to sixteen year olds, yeah.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 03:29 PM
Schecter
Restricted

Account Restricted

children

"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here."

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 03:30 PM
Schecter is currently offline Click here to Send Schecter a Private Message Find more posts by Schecter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote