KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Reasons Why The End of The World Is Bullshit

Reasons Why The End of The World Is Bullshit
Started by: Mirai Gohan

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Kal-El_08
Restricted

Account Restricted

Reasons Why The End of The World Is Bullshit

1. Scientists claim that the sun will turn into a red giant & cause a supernova. Well, for one, I deem this impossible for two reasons. The first reason is that red stars are generally cool & not hot. The second reason is that I find there to not be any logical explanation as to how this could happen.

2. Global warming is just bullshit. I don't believe in it at all.

3. I seriously doubt humans will become extinct. Even though it's hard to believe, we are the smartest beings to ever live on this planet so I doubt we'll ever become extinct. We are the top predators on the planet so this reason is flawed.

Honestly, these are just a few reasons why I think the whole end of the world argument is bogus. I do know that the world can end, I just don't think that it will.

"It wasn't even about the eggs. Quite frankly I like the eggs, I don't have no...problem with...It's just there's always been a lot of tension between me & Lois. It's not so much as I want to kill her...I just want her...to not be...alive anymore. I sometimes wonder if all women are this difficult. Then I think to myself, wouldn't it be MARVELOUS if I turned out to be a homosexual?"

Old Post Oct 7th, 2007 04:57 AM
Kal-El_08 is currently offline Click here to Send Kal-El_08 a Private Message Find more posts by Kal-El_08 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AngryManatee
Sexy Ham Manwich

Re: Reasons Why The End of The World Is Bullshit

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Mirai Gohan
1. Scientists claim that the sun will turn into a red giant & cause a supernova. Well, for one, I deem this impossible for two reasons. The first reason is that red stars are generally cool & not hot. The second reason is that I find there to not be any logical explanation as to how this could happen.

3. I seriously doubt humans will become extinct. Even though it's hard to believe, we are the smartest beings to ever live on this planet so I doubt we'll ever become extinct. We are the top predators on the planet so this reason is flawed.

Honestly, these are just a few reasons why I think the whole end of the world argument is bogus. I do know that the world can end, I just don't think that it will.

1. As the sun loses mass over time (a long time, I think 3 billion years was what I heard on the last Nova special I watched, which was a while ago), it's only natural that this loss in mass will allow it to expand (translation: cool, hence become red rather than yellow) due to a less powerful gravity field generated from it.

2. I don't think it will result in our extinction, but it will result in climate change.

3. Cobalt bomb ftw.

You don't need good rear vision because you're always in front!

Old Post Oct 7th, 2007 05:05 AM
AngryManatee is currently offline Click here to Send AngryManatee a Private Message Find more posts by AngryManatee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Admiral Akbar

1.) You want a logical explanation? Go google "Supernovas" and you will get one.
2.) Good for you
3.)You can't possibily know what will happen to us.

When the darkness comes, keep an eye on the light no matter how far away it seems.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2007 05:14 AM
Admiral Akbar is currently offline Click here to Send Admiral Akbar a Private Message Find more posts by Admiral Akbar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kal-El_08
Restricted

Account Restricted

Even if it becomes a red giant, we should still be able to live. The only difference between a red & yellow star is that you'll either get a little more or little less energy from one or the other.

"It wasn't even about the eggs. Quite frankly I like the eggs, I don't have no...problem with...It's just there's always been a lot of tension between me & Lois. It's not so much as I want to kill her...I just want her...to not be...alive anymore. I sometimes wonder if all women are this difficult. Then I think to myself, wouldn't it be MARVELOUS if I turned out to be a homosexual?"

Old Post Oct 7th, 2007 05:15 AM
Kal-El_08 is currently offline Click here to Send Kal-El_08 a Private Message Find more posts by Kal-El_08 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AngryManatee
Sexy Ham Manwich

Even if it becomes a red giant, we should still be able to live. The only difference between a red & yellow star is that you'll either get a little more or little less energy from one or the other.

It's less energy output compared to a yellow, but when it becomes a red giant, it's radius will expand massively. When this happens the energy being released from it will be much more direct, subsequently cooking us. Even better, it could just expand to such a size as to engulf us in its expansion, ftw.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2007 05:18 AM
AngryManatee is currently offline Click here to Send AngryManatee a Private Message Find more posts by AngryManatee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kal-El_08
Restricted

Account Restricted

Exactly how accurate is this theory that the yellow sun will become a red giant?

Old Post Oct 7th, 2007 05:21 AM
AngryManatee
Sexy Ham Manwich

Exactly how accurate is this theory that the yellow sun will become a red giant?

I'm only in 1st Semester Engineering Physics, but it's practically common sense from a physics perspective on nuclear fusion. Stars sustain themselves because of the fusion reaction happening at their core. This reaction is possible due to the massive amounts of gravity at the core along with the massive amounts of energy (ex: heat) that are generated and subsequently released.

While this happens, the mass of the star (or the available fuel for fusion) is slowly used up, as observed in such experiments as the JET and JT-60 torrus fusion reactors, and the Z-machine. As this mass is slowly diminished (over a period of billions of years, which is why fusion power is described as a source of limitless energy), the field of gravity begins to weaken, which means that the size of the star expands because it has less gravity to compress it. Result: Fusion processes begin to lose efficiency (due to a diminished environment for fusion), mass expands due to less gravity compression, and also a relatively cooler, red, sun.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2007 05:40 AM
Kal-El_08
Restricted

Account Restricted

Okay, I get this & how it could possibly explode but I'm not buying the sun exploding. Afterall, it is just a theory.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2007 05:42 AM
AngryManatee
Sexy Ham Manwich

Okay, I get this & how it could possibly explode but I'm not buying the sun exploding. Afterall, it is just a theory.

Scientific theory, mind you.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2007 05:46 AM
Kal-El_08
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yes, it's a scientific theory but it doesn't make it true. It actually leans over to the false side quite a bit, as with most theories.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2007 05:49 AM
AngryManatee
Sexy Ham Manwich

Yes, it's a scientific theory but it doesn't make it true. It actually leans over to the false side quite a bit, as with most theories.

That observation is rather incorrect. If it were predominantly false, than it would be rejected as a theory. Scientific theories are classified as such because they are predominantly verified as true by experimental evidence.

Edit: This is not to say that theories are immovable in their relevance, it means that they are accepted based on our ability to test it. In other words, if we come up with better methods of testing the theory in the future, they may prove it to be false, or they may support it even further.

Last edited by AngryManatee on Oct 7th, 2007 at 05:59 AM

Old Post Oct 7th, 2007 05:56 AM
Kal-El_08
Restricted

Account Restricted

All I'm saying is that we don't know anything for sure.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2007 06:01 AM
dadudemon

1. The sun burns hydrogen for its fuel but what happens when most of that fuel is burnt up? The sun will expand into a red Giant due to the sun trying to reach a new hydrostatic equilibrium due to heavier elements being fused at the core.

This expansion will envelop the Earth.

The sun will eventually NOVA...not super nova....but nova. Our local star is not massive enough to supernova.

Our sun will turn into a Red Giant in about 4.5 billion years.

2. Global warming isn't bullshit and you don't have to believe in it at all.

3. I agree with you there.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2007 07:16 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Schecter
Restricted

Account Restricted

i think winter is bullshit. snow is actually scorching hot.

hell yeah. but i have to disagree with your first point. stars are bullshit. i dont believe in them. they are actually pinholes which the lord jesus christ poked in the sky.

exactly. our ability to kill other animals renders us impervious to extinction. surely it is impossible for the human race to die off...i mean...we make microwave ovens and microprocessors and stuff like that. we could do some mcguyver shit with all that and invent something to make us immortal.

i think you're right. the evidence is overwhelming. you think you're right, you believe you're right, you know you're right. case closed.

"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here."

Old Post Oct 7th, 2007 07:18 AM
Schecter is currently offline Click here to Send Schecter a Private Message Find more posts by Schecter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Hahaha.

"I deem this scientific theory impossible for two reasons.".

Stop the presses, obscure and unknown KMC poster, Mirai Gohan, has something to say.

Go on.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Oct 7th, 2007 10:24 AM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Hahaha.

"I deem this scientific theory impossible for two reasons.".

Stop the presses, obscure and unknown KMC poster, Mirai Gohan, has something to say.

Go on.

-AC
laughing out loud

Bulbasaur, the original... Pepe.

Last edited by Raz on Jan 1st 2000 at 00:00AM

Old Post Oct 7th, 2007 10:35 AM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

*Everyone at NASA, the world's best scientists in a lab working on things, doors fly open*

"STOP!", "Who are you?!", "I'm Mirai Gohan from KMC Forums. I have something to say that none of you have possibly thought of.".

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Oct 7th, 2007 12:31 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Magee

So Mirai Gohan because you can't understand some thing its bullshit? Your uneducated opinion means nothing, no one cares.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2007 12:56 PM
Magee is currently offline Click here to Send Magee a Private Message Find more posts by Magee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JacopeX
Restricted

Account Restricted

*High fives* big grin

The more you question it, the less you will understand.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2007 01:08 PM
JacopeX is currently offline Click here to Send JacopeX a Private Message Find more posts by JacopeX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Selphie
you teasing like you do

It's nothing to believe in, it's not like religion, it is happening right now as we speak. It's already begun.

We may be the smartest beings now, but what makes you think we'll be replaced by something else? Something smarter?

riding high on love's true bluish light

Old Post Oct 7th, 2007 01:23 PM
Selphie is currently offline Click here to Send Selphie a Private Message Find more posts by Selphie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote