KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Typical Troll Tactics

Typical Troll Tactics
Started by: Schecter

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (13): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Schecter
Restricted

Account Restricted

Typical Troll Tactics

now, first off lets make clear that there is a sharp difference between trolling and a troll. trolling (v.) is simply the act of baiting for an argument. a troll (n.) is someone who attempts to disrupt and destroy all discussion in a forum, for whatever personal malfunctions. anyway, with that clarified, trolls seem to always follow the same pattern, and use the same tactics. ive always been fascinated with these individuals and what drives them, particulary their feeling of superiority and diabolical genius, when in fact they use the same tactics every time. it is my intention, with your help, to compile a comprehensive list of typical troll tactics.

very important: this is not a thread for calling out trolls. like the idiotic debating tactics thread, this is not intended for use in personal assaults.
just state your observations on constants and patterns in the methods by which trolls attempt to manipulate others. with your help this should be a great and informative discussion.

also,
its inevitable that trolls will feel called out by this thread and interfere with the hope of getting it closed. for the sake of this discussion, please ignore their silly 'fail' pics and all the other ebaumsworld hotlinks that they feel clever in posting.

so lets get the ball rolling:

a few that come to mind are:

-reversal of blame- harass and insult other members, and when someone replies in kind, play the victim. which of course leads to:

-abuse the 'report' function. self explanatory

-cry 'group think' or "herd mentality".... if everyone cant stand your obsessive annoyance, it must mean that they are brainwashed drones following the orders of some mysterious leader. after all, in a normal and constructive social setting harrasment and stalking would be welcomed and encouraged

-play 'Savior of the forums'.
they always do this and its a dead giveaway. whenever someone signs of claiming to want to bring peace to the forum, get ready for some trolling as they will attack contributing veterans and accuse them of killing discussion. one failed attempt after another to rally everyone behind them.

-sock puppeteering. we're all familiar with the term 'sock', but it originates with the act of registering a screenname which is seemingly identical to that of a troll's victim. so lets say someone wanted to sock troll me, they would make an account called something like "Schector" and copy my avatar and sig and post in my name in an attempt to assassinate my character.

ok, anyone wish to contribute?

"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here."

Last edited by Schecter on Oct 28th, 2007 at 08:46 PM

Old Post Oct 28th, 2007 08:44 PM
Schecter is currently offline Click here to Send Schecter a Private Message Find more posts by Schecter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

They accuse you of speaking out of anger when you point out how sad their lives must be.

"If you were me, you'd know the safest place to hide...is in sanity!

Old Post Oct 28th, 2007 08:50 PM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo_Version 7
Smile (:

They link things that aren't really the links you thought they are.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2007 08:57 PM
Neo_Version 7 is currently offline Click here to Send Neo_Version 7 a Private Message Find more posts by Neo_Version 7 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

An overuse of the smiley face emoticon.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2007 09:02 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

lookie lookie, a big beautiful eye...

All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you wanna look, I **** like you wanna ****, I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2007 09:03 PM
Rogue Jedi is currently offline Click here to Send Rogue Jedi a Private Message Find more posts by Rogue Jedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

They try to convince you you're old.......lol

Mother Goose........hahaha

Okay, grandpa?

Old Post Oct 28th, 2007 10:05 PM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Re: Typical Troll Tactics

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Schecter

-cry 'group think' or "herd mentality".... if everyone cant stand your obsessive annoyance, it must mean that they are brainwashed drones following the orders of some mysterious leader. after all, in a normal and constructive social setting harrasment and stalking would be welcomed and encouraged

On the other side, forums DO have "group think" or as I like to call it, irrational bandwagon bullshit. A few buddies and their close friends that they IM with every day of their sorry excuse for lives will take threat if anyone new shows merit in their posts. There is usually a ring leader or a a small handful of leaders. If a new poster disagrees with something posted no matter what it is, the ring leader attacks the new person. The posse follows suite.

It ends up being that just a very very small handful of people can ruin an entire message board. Group think has probably happened before here on KMC.

-sock puppeteering. we're all familiar with the term 'sock', but it originates with the act of registering a screenname which is seemingly identical to that of a troll's victim. so lets say someone wanted to sock troll me, they would make an account called something like "Schector" and copy my avatar and sig and post in my name in an attempt to assassinate my character.

laughing That is hilarious. You know, I have never seen that but I think it would be funny because the troll wouldn't be obvious at first but then the original person would point it out. Sounds like a good laugh for the original posters but I can see how a persistent troll doing this would get very very annoying.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2007 10:07 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KidRock

Originally posted by BackFire
An overuse of the smiley face emoticon.

pshhhh roll eyes (sarcastic) roll eyes (sarcastic) smokin' sad embarrasment

Old Post Oct 28th, 2007 10:26 PM
KidRock is currently offline Click here to Send KidRock a Private Message Find more posts by KidRock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

eek! laughing out loud

Oh, and copy and paste Nazi's.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2007 10:30 PM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
smoker4
Me name be Leon

Originally posted by dadudemon
On the other side, forums DO have "group think" or as I like to call it, irrational bandwagon bullshit. A few buddies and their close friends that they IM with every day of their sorry excuse for lives will take threat if anyone new shows merit in their posts. There is usually a ring leader or a a small handful of leaders. If a new poster disagrees with something posted no matter what it is, the ring leader attacks the new person. The posse follows suite.

It ends up being that just a very very small handful of people can ruin an entire message board. Group think has probably happened before here on KMC.

Seen that a few times here at KMC.

My personal favourites are self congratualting/agreeing, meaning when someone has two socks and backs the other one up and the "what are you talking about? reply", always a good one that.

F**k you Loggins

Old Post Oct 28th, 2007 11:04 PM
smoker4 is currently offline Click here to Send smoker4 a Private Message Find more posts by smoker4 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by smoker4
Seen that a few times here at KMC.

My personal favourites are self congratualting/agreeing, meaning when someone has two socks and backs the other one up and the "what are you talking about? reply", always a good one that.

That is actually hilarious. This is a new world to me. I didn't think people had such a lack of a life that they actually did things like that.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2007 11:07 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zeal Ex Nihilo
Restricted

Account Restricted

Being Whirly is a troll tactic.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2007 12:23 AM
Zeal Ex Nihilo is currently offline Click here to Send Zeal Ex Nihilo a Private Message Find more posts by Zeal Ex Nihilo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

But, but what would your world be without him.............

Old Post Oct 29th, 2007 12:24 AM
lil bitchiness
-

Originally posted by debbiejo
eek! laughing out loud

Oh, and copy and paste Nazi's.

Because the worst thing about Nazis has always been their notorious copying and pasting.

I just couldn't help it.

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Oct 29th, 2007 12:28 AM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Originally posted by lil bitchiness

I just couldn't help it.

That's what Hitler said.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2007 12:33 AM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Because the worst thing about Nazis has always been their notorious copying and pasting.

I just couldn't help it.
laughing out loud

Yeah, god told him to.....anything to win an argument.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2007 12:39 AM
Schecter
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by debbiejo
They try to convince you you're old.......lol

Mother Goose........hahaha

Okay, grandpa?

ironing

"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here."

Old Post Oct 29th, 2007 12:42 AM
Schecter is currently offline Click here to Send Schecter a Private Message Find more posts by Schecter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zeal Ex Nihilo
Restricted

Account Restricted

Hey, it looks like it's been a tri-ban day today. Huzzah.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2007 12:43 AM
Zeal Ex Nihilo is currently offline Click here to Send Zeal Ex Nihilo a Private Message Find more posts by Zeal Ex Nihilo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
That's what Hitler said.
So you condone his actions.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2007 12:48 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

ironing
Denture Day!!

Old Post Oct 29th, 2007 12:49 AM