KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » British woman arrested in Sudan for naming teddy bear Mohammed

British woman arrested in Sudan for naming teddy bear Mohammed
Started by: Sanctuary

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (9): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Sancty
-

British woman arrested in Sudan for naming teddy bear Mohammed

quote:
A British teacher has been arrested in Sudan for allowing her seven-year-old students to name a teddy bear Mohammed, the British Embassy said.

Gillian Gibbons was detained yesterday on suspicion of insulting the Prophet Mohammed.

Colleagues of the 54-year-old teacher from Liverpool told Reuters they feared for her safety after receiving reports that young men were gathering outside the Khartoum police station where she was being held.

British officials said it remained unclear whether she had been formally charged.

Under Sudan's Sharia law, the punishment for blasphemy is 40 lashes, although the teacher could also be fined or jailed for up to six months.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...6/wsudan126.xml

What are your thoughts on it?

Old Post Nov 29th, 2007 04:01 PM
Sancty is currently offline Click here to Send Sancty a Private Message Find more posts by Sancty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Selphie
you teasing like you do

I wonder why she named it that?

I don't know what to say about the punishment, if her action was deliberate...well I don't know, it's all quite foolish really.

riding high on love's true bluish light

Old Post Nov 29th, 2007 04:08 PM
Selphie is currently offline Click here to Send Selphie a Private Message Find more posts by Selphie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
botankus
Bass-ackwards

Considering it's in Sudan, it makes perfect sense.

Old Post Nov 29th, 2007 04:08 PM
botankus is currently offline Click here to Send botankus a Private Message Find more posts by botankus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sancty
-

quote: (post)
Originally posted by SelphieT
I wonder why she named it that?

I don't know what to say about the punishment, if her action was deliberate...well I don't know, it's all quite foolish really.

She let the children choose the name.

Old Post Nov 29th, 2007 04:19 PM
Sancty is currently offline Click here to Send Sancty a Private Message Find more posts by Sancty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bloigen
Restricted

Account Restricted

How does a bear look anything like Muhammad?

This teacher was damned from the start. If she had refused to let the kids call it Muhammad she'd be in the same position.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: You were adopted.

Last edited by Bloigen on Nov 29th, 2007 at 04:52 PM

Old Post Nov 29th, 2007 04:47 PM
Bloigen is currently offline Click here to Send Bloigen a Private Message Find more posts by Bloigen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chillmeistergen
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Bloigen
How does a bear look anything like Muhammad?

This teacher was damned from the start. If she had refused to let the kids call it Muhammad she'd be in the same position.

No she wouldn't.

"All morons hate it when you call them a moron." - Holden Caulfield

Old Post Nov 29th, 2007 04:57 PM
chillmeistergen is currently offline Click here to Send chillmeistergen a Private Message Find more posts by chillmeistergen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bloigen
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by chillmeistergen
No she wouldn't.

She would be. She'd be opposing their beliefs.

Old Post Nov 29th, 2007 05:00 PM
Bloigen is currently offline Click here to Send Bloigen a Private Message Find more posts by Bloigen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

The teacher asked the children what the Bear should be called and they chose the name Mohammad, naming the bear after a child in the class. She then mentioned this in some school letter to the parents, then someone complained.

Firstly anyone who decides to live in such countries who have middle ages type laws, must know that it can go pear shaped. Especially for a foreigner who cannot have a feeling for the attitude, traditions and ways of that country no matter how much they read up on it.

Hopefully sheŽll get let of with a warning and be sent o educational lessons of some sort so she knows the score, after all no on was hurt.

What I donŽt understand is, is why people ie children can be named Mohammad and other things cannot. Surely this is also slur on the "prophet" as well, comparing in a way someone to him.

Old Post Nov 29th, 2007 05:00 PM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chillmeistergen
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Bloigen
She would be. She'd be opposing their beliefs.

No she wouldn't be. She'd just have to say ''well children, that would be insulting the founder of Islam'', then they could call it Freddy and move on.

If a Muslim child went home and complained about not being able to call a teddy Muhammad, their parents are not likely to kick off and try to get the teacher in shit. More likely, the kid would be in trouble for wanting to call it Muhammad.

Old Post Nov 29th, 2007 05:07 PM
chillmeistergen is currently offline Click here to Send chillmeistergen a Private Message Find more posts by chillmeistergen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bloigen
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by chillmeistergen
No she wouldn't be. She'd just have to say ''well children, that would be insulting the founder of Islam'', then they could call it Freddy and move on.

If a Muslim child went home and complained about not being able to call a teddy Muhammad, their parents are not likely to kick off and try to get the teacher in shit. More likely, the kid would be in trouble for wanting to call it Muhammad.

They named the bear in September, they had moved on.

Muhammad is a common name there if she said no to the name Muhammad she would still be denying their culture. That leads to parents being upset about the teacher denying their culture, some would see it as an attempt to put down their religion and back to the 40 lashes.

As soon as the name Muhammad was mentioned she was screwed, it was only a matter of time before somebody picked up on it and did something.

Old Post Nov 29th, 2007 05:22 PM
GGS

'No she wouldn't be. She'd just have to say ''well children, that would be insulting the founder of Islam'', then they could call it Freddy and move on'

The thing is it's hypocritical in a sense because they can all name their kids Mohammed and the Koran an inanimate object is know as the book of Mohammed so when does naming something a name that is used on other inanimate and animate objects freely get the line drawed on it being offensive?

It seems like alot of Imans of the Islamic faith make the rules up as they go along.

Old Post Nov 29th, 2007 05:31 PM
GGS is currently offline Click here to Send GGS a Private Message Find more posts by GGS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chillmeistergen
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well, as Muhammad was an actual person, it seems natural that a person should be able to bare that name. Whereas, if you call a teddy bear, or a water melon, or some other inanimate object Muhammad, you're effectively trivialising the deeds of the prophet.

I assume that's the thinking behind it.

Old Post Nov 29th, 2007 05:35 PM
Zeal Ex Nihilo
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Sanctuary
Under Sudan's Sharia law, the punishment for blasphemy is 40 lashes, although the teacher could also be fined or jailed for up to six months.

Damn sandmonkeys.

(I'm well aware that Sudan is in Africa rather than Sandville and filled with blacks rather than Arabs.)

Old Post Nov 29th, 2007 05:46 PM
Zeal Ex Nihilo is currently offline Click here to Send Zeal Ex Nihilo a Private Message Find more posts by Zeal Ex Nihilo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GGS

Indeed but to be honest and i'll probably come under flak for this but it's my own opinion the deeds of a genocidal mercernary such as Old Mo who at 52 had a 9 year old bride and also 'drank the milk from the goats bladder' 'great' deeds leave a lot to be desired but a fanatical muslim would kill me where i stood for daring to question such actions or logic of a dead man.

Old Post Nov 29th, 2007 05:56 PM
GGS is currently offline Click here to Send GGS a Private Message Find more posts by GGS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Re: British woman arrested in Sudan for naming teddy bear Mohammed

Originally posted by Sanctuary

Countries that have such rediculous laws should be scorched. It's a ****ing name, it's not like the name "Mohammed" wasn't around until the so called "one prophet" Mohammed came to be.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Nov 29th, 2007 06:02 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

I heard about this. Me and my Dad thought it was very funny.

Bulbasaur, the original... Pepe.

Last edited by Raz on Jan 1st 2000 at 00:00AM

Old Post Nov 29th, 2007 06:26 PM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chithappens

Well it's not funny. As much as I can comment without being mildly upset.

My YouTube Channel

Random Thoughts Blog *Actually being updated now*

Poetry Blog

Old Post Nov 29th, 2007 06:51 PM
chithappens is currently offline Click here to Send chithappens a Private Message Find more posts by chithappens Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

Religion is nothing but a trouble, a starter for wars, to dictate idea's to people, and an excuse for death's and destruction.

Old Post Nov 29th, 2007 06:56 PM
Neo Darkhalen is currently offline Click here to Send Neo Darkhalen a Private Message Find more posts by Neo Darkhalen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by lord xyz
I heard about this. Me and my Dad thought it was very funny.
You think that might be why everyone thinks you are an idiot?

Last edited by Bardock42 on Nov 29th, 2007 at 07:33 PM

Old Post Nov 29th, 2007 07:30 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
Religion is nothing but a trouble, a starter for wars, to dictate idea's to people, and an excuse for death's and destruction.

That is a very negative point of view...despite that fact that there is truth in it. Religions is NOT nothing but trouble.

Old Post Nov 29th, 2007 07:35 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote