KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Studies show Red Meat is not good for you.

Studies show Red Meat is not good for you.
Started by: WrathfulDwarf

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Studies show Red Meat is not good for you.

http://health.yahoo.com/news/reuter...er_meat_dc.html

quote:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - People who eat a lot of red meat and processed meats have a higher risk of several types of cancer, including lung cancer and colorectal cancer, U.S. researchers reported on Monday.

The work is the first big study to show a link between meat and lung cancer. It also shows that people who eat a lot of meat have a higher risk of liver and esophageal cancer and that men raise their risk of pancreatic cancer by eating red meat.

"A decrease in the consumption of red and processed meat could reduce the incidence of cancer at multiple sites," Dr. Amanda Cross and colleagues at the U.S. National Cancer Institute wrote in their report, published in the Public Library of Science journal PLoS Medicine.

The researchers studied 500,000 people aged 50 to 71 who took part in a diet and health study done in conjunction with the AARP, formerly the American Association for Retired Persons.

After eight years, 53,396 cases of cancer were diagnosed.

"Statistically significant elevated risks (ranging from 20 percent to 60 percent) were evident for esophageal, colorectal, liver, and lung cancer, comparing individuals in the highest with those in the lowest quintile of red meat intake," the researchers wrote.

The people in the top 20 percent of eating processed meat had a 20 percent higher risk of colorectal cancer -- mostly rectal cancer -- and a 16 percent higher risk for lung cancer.

"Furthermore, red meat intake was associated with an elevated risk for cancers of the esophagus and liver," the researchers wrote.

These differences held even when smoking was accounted for.

"Red meat intake was not associated with gastric or bladder cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, or melanoma," added the researchers, whose study is freely available on the Internet at http://medicine.plosjournals.org/pe...t-document& doi=10.1371/journal.pmed.0040325.

Red meat was defined as all types of beef, pork and lamb. Processed meat included bacon, red meat sausage, poultry sausage, luncheon meats, cold cuts, ham and most types of hot dogs including turkey dogs.

Meats can cause cancer by several routes, the researchers noted. "For example, they are both sources of saturated fat and iron, which have independently been associated with carcinogenesis," the researchers wrote.

Meat is also a source of several chemicals known to cause DNA mutations, including N-nitroso compounds (NOCs), heterocyclic amines (HCAs) and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs).

Jeanine Genkinger of Georgetown University in Washington, D.C., and Anita Koushik of the University of Montreal said the findings fit in with other research.

"Meat consumption in relation to cancer risk has been reported in over a hundred epidemiological studies from many countries with diverse diets," they wrote in a commentary.

(Reporting by Maggie Fox; Editing by Julie Steenhuysen and Eric Beech)

Bummer...vegans win this round. sad

Old Post Dec 12th, 2007 12:38 AM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Violent2Dope
Restricted

Account Restricted

Fvck vegans. Steak, pork, chicken, whatever, MEAT FTW!

PYRON WOULD WIPE THE FLOOR WITH STORM LULZ!

Old Post Dec 12th, 2007 12:40 AM
Violent2Dope is currently offline Click here to Send Violent2Dope a Private Message Find more posts by Violent2Dope Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Studies show Red Meat is not good for you.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
http://health.yahoo.com/news/reuter...er_meat_dc.html

Bummer...vegans win this round. sad

something else that gives you cancer...guess we can add it to the list in the other thread

oh well...it...just...tastes........so.....goooood

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Dec 12th, 2007 12:42 AM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Re: Re: Studies show Red Meat is not good for you.

Originally posted by jaden101
something else that gives you cancer...guess we can add it to the list in the other thread

oh well...it...just...tastes........so.....goooood

It had been proven the oxygen is bad for you...it really sucks...being a vegan is bad for you...being an omnivore is bad for you...being a carnivore is bad for you...on some level or another. Being an omnivore is probably the best bet...take the best of all worlds and run with it.

Old Post Dec 12th, 2007 12:47 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deja~vu
Dreamer

I defiantly did not read the study, but knew who meat can clog the arteries and all systems connected with it. It can also temper a mind. We eat to much meat.

Though I do love meats, I don't eat them because of this and other facts.

Old Post Dec 12th, 2007 01:03 AM
Deja~vu is currently offline Click here to Send Deja~vu a Private Message Find more posts by Deja~vu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quiero Mota

Originally posted by Deja~vu
I defiantly did not read the study, but knew who meat can clog the arteries and all systems connected with it. It can also temper a mind. We eat to much meat.

Though I do love meats, I don't eat them because of this and other facts.

That post sounded really dirty.

Old Post Dec 12th, 2007 01:04 AM
Quiero Mota is currently offline Click here to Send Quiero Mota a Private Message Find more posts by Quiero Mota Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Doesn't say red meat is bad for you in general, just says it is if you eat too much, as is the case with just about everything.

Heck, too much water is bad for you, doesn't meat water itself is.

So, go on enjoying your big cheeseburgers, I know I will. And if I die, what a way to go.

Old Post Dec 12th, 2007 01:21 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by BackFire
Doesn't say red meat is bad for you in general, just says it is if you eat too much, as is the case with just about everything.

Heck, too much water is bad for you, doesn't meat water itself is.

So, go on enjoying your big cheeseburgers, I know I will. And if I die, what a way to go.

We fat people call those things a "bacon chee with all the fixins".

Old Post Dec 12th, 2007 01:29 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

There's more meat than just red meat anyway.

And I was really debating whether or not to bother replying to this thread because I know that Backfire is just going to make some vulgar comment stick out tongue

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Dec 12th, 2007 01:30 AM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Violent2Dope
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Lana
There's more meat than just red meat anyway.

And I was really debating whether or not to bother replying to this thread because I know that Backfire is just going to make some vulgar comment stick out tongue
I'll beat him to it.

There's always my meat, now open wide, and remember, you need two hands to hold a whopper.

Old Post Dec 12th, 2007 01:42 AM
Violent2Dope is currently offline Click here to Send Violent2Dope a Private Message Find more posts by Violent2Dope Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Violent2Dope
I'll beat him to it.

There's always my meat, now open wide, and remember, you need two hands to hold a whopper.

You are right about one thing, in your case, it is two hands...one for the magnifying glass and one for the tweezers. wink

Old Post Dec 12th, 2007 01:54 AM
Violent2Dope
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by dadudemon
You are right about one thing, in your case, it is two hands...one for the magnifying glass and one for the tweezers. wink
That's my joke dick. miffed

Old Post Dec 12th, 2007 01:55 AM
Bardock42

Originally posted by Violent2Dope
That's my joke dick. miffed

He...and it's also a dick joke. What a coincidence.

Old Post Dec 12th, 2007 02:04 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tabby999
Music Idiot apparently

Hitler was a vegeterian and look how THAT ended

I am aware that "your" should be "you're," and while I know I should change it as not to offend the grammar fans around the boards, school always said not to bow to peer pressure so it stays as it is

Old Post Dec 12th, 2007 02:12 AM
tabby999 is currently offline Click here to Send tabby999 a Private Message Find more posts by tabby999 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

Lets see, so far we have been told that following things cause cancer -

red meat,
tomatoes,
mobile phones,
fried potatoes,
not breast feeding,
laptop radiation,
alcohol,
air pollution,
mixed spices,
deodorants,
porato chips,
toast,
toasters
tooth fillings,
Chinese herbal compliments
sunlight,
sunscrean
coffee,
depression,
pet birds,
other random vegetables,
salt,
baby food
magnetic fields,
microwave,
dairy products,
car fumes,
casual sex,
jewelry,
lack of exercise,
shellfish,
hair dyes,
hamburgers
charred food,
low cholesterol
high cholesterol
nickel,
night light
coca-cola
bottled water
birth control pills
agent orange
abortion
peanuts

as well as many many other things...

Posting on the forum causes cancer from the typed letter radiation.

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Dec 12th, 2007 02:19 AM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grinning Goku

**** cancer. Seriously.

PSN handle: B_B_Kang

Old Post Dec 12th, 2007 02:46 AM
Grinning Goku is currently offline Click here to Send Grinning Goku a Private Message Find more posts by Grinning Goku Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

This just in, living causes cancer.

More at 11:00.

Old Post Dec 12th, 2007 06:27 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
InnerRise
Restricted

Account Restricted

The Majority of Red Meat isn't all that great anyway, if not plain nasty.

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

"I'll Stay Gold For U.H."

Old Post Dec 12th, 2007 06:56 AM
InnerRise is currently offline Click here to Send InnerRise a Private Message Find more posts by InnerRise Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

Breathing ainīt good for you either, because of all the pollution and allergy causing particles in the air, not to mention viruses. Iīm not gonna stop breathing or stop eating red meatsmile

Old Post Dec 12th, 2007 03:46 PM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

I've always consider that the Iron and Proteins in red meat counter balance the bad stuff like bad cholesterol and fat.....

...*eats salmon*

Old Post Dec 12th, 2007 04:39 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote