KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Should you marry someone who politically and religiously different than you?

Should you marry someone who politically and religiously different than you?
Started by: =Tired Hiker=

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (9): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

Should you marry someone who politically and religiously different than you?

Do you think having the same political and religious beliefs are important to a successful marriage? Is it bad for a very liberal person to spend a lifetime with someone who is very conservative? Should atheists only marry atheists? Or do opposites attract, and if they do, can you really depend on that as a solid foundation for a long lasting relationship?

Old Post May 7th, 2008 01:00 AM
Tired-Hiker is currently offline Click here to Send Tired-Hiker a Private Message Find more posts by Tired-Hiker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

quote: (post)
Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
Do you think having the same political and religious beliefs are important to a successful marriage? Is it bad for a very liberal person to spend a lifetime with someone who is very conservative? Should atheists only marry atheists? Or do opposites attract, and if they do, can you really depend on that as a solid foundation for a long lasting relationship?
It depends on many other factors. Of course the politically and religiously different view can be a big minus (or a small one depending on your preference), but there are other issues to be considered too. I guess if you are in love with the person, you probably already realized that you like that person a lot regardless of their convictions in those fields. It can be a probolem, but doesn't have to.

Old Post May 7th, 2008 01:03 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JacopeX
Restricted

Account Restricted

"Should you"?

I say it does not really matter. I mean, my girlfriend is Buddhist and I am catholic. However, it really makes no difference at all opinion wise. wink

As for marrying, I don't really understand how a marriage can take place. I mean, each religion has its traditions of a wedding which contradicts the other religion if taken part of it. Therefore, I don't think it would really work. But it (relationship) can work out definentely.

Political opinion? laughing

The more you question it, the less you will understand.

Old Post May 7th, 2008 01:12 AM
JacopeX is currently offline Click here to Send JacopeX a Private Message Find more posts by JacopeX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GCG
Red Bull

This subject cannot be pivotal on a marriage. I thought marriage was about accepting the other with all the good and bad stuff.

Deferrals get you nowhere - Just Do It.........Or Ineptitude will consume your life like a Cancer

Old Post May 7th, 2008 01:31 AM
GCG is currently offline Click here to Send GCG a Private Message Find more posts by GCG Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by GCG
This subject cannot be pivotal on a marriage. I thought marriage was about accepting the other with all the good and bad stuff.
To some extend. Obviously people that hate each other shouldn't "accept the other" so far as to marry each other.

Old Post May 7th, 2008 01:36 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

I believe it depends on the priorities of the individual's. Religion, to most people is the most important aspect of their life. In this case, i believe one should find another to Marry whom at the very least shares similar spiritual beliefs.

I feel the same should be applied to political values. Personally, i'm not a very political person. If need be, i can immerse myself in the current double speak coming out of Washington. On the other hand, i can usually go with the flow and not give much of a damn, as i am more interested in spirituality and human behavior than i am in economics and the societal direction. I do know, however, i could not be with someone who is extreme in their political beliefs one way or the other. considering this, i would have to assume that if i were a more serious Republican. A republican who devoted much free time and focus to arguing with those pesky liberals. I doubt i could tolerate the most heated debates that would arise from a communication breakdown in politics with my wife.

But, this is all coming from a guy that doesnt date a girl with a conflicting taste in movies, so...,what do i know? stick out tongue

Old Post May 7th, 2008 01:50 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Depends on the person. Some people are more compatible than others. Some people are nicer than others. Some people are more accepting of others.

What is important is to speak each other's "love language". What is important is to communicate concerns and compromise. What is important is to continue to love each other.

"Love" is not an abstract concept or word only. Love is also a verb! It is very much possible for complete opposites to attract IF each person can do all of the above. Perseverance, understanding, and patience are all necessary virtues for a successful marriage.

Having different and strong political beliefs makes for much better conversation. Where other couples do a:

Wife: "hey, how's your day been?"
Husband: "Good, boring at work..but good. What about yours?"
Wife: "I went shopping with Sarah and I paid the bills..nothing else though."

politically contrasted couples can debate politics in a RESPECTFUL manner. It can be very very fun and can make you better friends. Being best friends with your spouse is not a bad thing and I recommend it.

Religious beliefs, however, can get in the way. This is a toughy. If one of you is a devote Jew, there ain't gettin' married until you both are lighting 9 candles. If you want to marry a devote LDS women, you had better be a Mormon yourself...etc.etc.

Even that can be gotten around through mutual acceptance.

Though, on top of all of it...it is sooooo much easier if the couple has in common political and religious beliefs.

Old Post May 7th, 2008 01:53 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deja~vu
Dreamer

NO. Not unless there is an understanding of open-es first. Also an understanding that with time and knowledge people change. If they can understand that, then there could be a wonderful relationship.

Old Post May 7th, 2008 02:04 AM
Deja~vu is currently offline Click here to Send Deja~vu a Private Message Find more posts by Deja~vu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Gotta say, I've seen it done both ways, and also experienced similar and opposite belief systems with people I've dated. It can work when the two are diametrically opposed, but it helps like hell to be similar.

Old Post May 7th, 2008 02:27 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by DigiMark007
Gotta say, I've seen it done both ways, and also experienced similar and opposite belief systems with people I've dated. It can work when the two are diametrically opposed, but it helps like hell to be similar.

You mean like "heaven". shifty

Old Post May 7th, 2008 02:34 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

I would venture the opinion that such a question hinges on the experience of being maried for a number of years, despite differences of religious or political proclivity, as well as being married for a short amount of time because those differences were the deciding factor in such a short relationship. So perhaps an internet forum composed primarily of unmarried men and teenage girls wold not be the best place to present such a question.

are you thinking of popping the question TH?

"If you were me, you'd know the safest place to hide...is in sanity!

Old Post May 7th, 2008 03:10 AM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by Devil King
I would venture the opinion that such a question hinges on the experience of being maried for a number of years, despite differences of religious or political proclivity, as well as being married for a short amount of time because those differences were the deciding factor in such a short relationship. So perhaps an internet forum composed primarily of unmarried men and teenage girls wold not be the best place to present such a question.

are you thinking of popping the question TH?
He's married, I believe.

Old Post May 7th, 2008 03:23 AM
Robtard
Senor Member

Re: Should you marry someone who politically and religiously different than you?

I don't think it really matters unless one or both are extreme in one or more of those views and they're married to a polar opposite, e.g. Evangelical married to a die-hard atheist. Though I doubt that marriage would have happened in the first place, I've heard of relationships going sour because one person becomes religious and the other doesn't follow after the relationship happens.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post May 7th, 2008 03:24 AM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by JacopeX

As for marrying, I don't really understand how a marriage can take place. I mean, each religion has its traditions of a wedding which contradicts the other religion if taken part of it. Therefore, I don't think it would really work. But it (relationship) can work out definentely.

Troglodyte, you've never heard of a hybrid-ceramony?

I've been to a Hindu-Christian wedding.

Old Post May 7th, 2008 03:30 AM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by dadudemon
You mean like "heaven". shifty

No, hell.

Old Post May 7th, 2008 03:34 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kelly_Bean
Warum ist die Sonne rund?

As far as political views my boyfriend and I are both the same (Don't give a flying fvck) but when it comes to religion we're nearly opposite. I'm Catholic, he's Agnostic but it does not collide with our relationship. He can believe what he wants to while I will believe what I want to, this does not need to be brought in between us in our relationship.

Old Post May 7th, 2008 03:36 AM
Kelly_Bean is currently offline Click here to Send Kelly_Bean a Private Message Find more posts by Kelly_Bean Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Crazy-white-*****, please. Catholics are religious for one hour a weekend.

Old Post May 7th, 2008 03:50 AM
McLovin
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Robtard
Crazy-white-*****, please. Catholics are religious for one hour a weekend.

Yeah, you know they come after the whine.

Old Post May 7th, 2008 04:03 AM
McLovin is currently offline Click here to Send McLovin a Private Message Find more posts by McLovin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GCG
Red Bull

You mean only those that make it to Sunday Mass right cause i thought you were generalizing there a bit

Deferrals get you nowhere - Just Do It.........Or Ineptitude will consume your life like a Cancer

Old Post May 7th, 2008 04:04 AM
GCG is currently offline Click here to Send GCG a Private Message Find more posts by GCG Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by GCG
You mean only those that make it to Sunday Mass right cause i thought you were generalizing there a bit

[Some] Muslims move (probably on camel-back) around all day with thoughts on Allah constantly in their head. Catholics only think of God come Sunday, from the time they start moaning because they have to go to mass and it doesn't end until they're done feeling guilty, dropped their loose change in the poor orphans jar, eaten the cracker and left. Fact, son.

Last edited by Robtard on May 7th, 2008 at 04:16 AM

Old Post May 7th, 2008 04:13 AM