KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Tim Russert Died.

Tim Russert Died.
Started by: WrathfulDwarf

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Tim Russert Died.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/obit_russert

quote:
NBC's Tim Russert dead at 58
By DAVID ESPO and LAURIE KELLMAN, Associated Press Writers
8 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Tim Russert, who pointedly but politely questioned hundreds of the powerful and influential as moderator of NBC's "Meet the Press," died Friday of an apparent heart attack. The network's Washington bureau chief was 58.

ADVERTISEMENT

In addition to his weekly program, Russert appeared on the network's other news shows, was moderator for numerous political debates and wrote two best-selling books.

President Bush, informed of Russert's death while at dinner in Paris, swiftly issued a statement of condolence that praised the NBC newsman as "an institution in both news and politics for more than two decades. Tim was a tough and hardworking newsman. He was always well-informed and thorough in his interviews. And he was as gregarious off the set as he was prepared on it."

NBC interrupted its regular programming with news of Russert's death, and in the ensuing moments, familiar faces such as Tom Brokaw, Andrea Mitchell and Brian Williams took turns mourning his loss.

Williams called him "aggressively unfancy."

Our hearts are broken," said Mitchell, who appeared emotional at times as she recalled her long-time colleague.

Russert, of Buffalo, N.Y., took the helm of the Sunday news show in December 1991 and turned it into the nation's most widely watched program of its type. His signature trait there was an unrelenting style of questioning that made some politicians reluctant to appear, yet confident that they could claim extra credibility if they survived his grilling intact.

He was also a senior vice president at NBC, and this year, Time Magazine named him one of the 100 most influential people in the world.

Russert had Buffalo's blue collar roots, a Jesuit education, a law degree and a Democratic pedigree that came from his turn as an aide to the late Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan of New York.

One of his books, "Big Russ and Me," was about his relationship with his father.

On Sunday's program, Russert was to have interviewed Sens. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., a national co-chair of the McCain campaign, and Joe Biden, D-Del., an Obama supporter, in a debate format as surrogates for the two presidential candidates.

Praise flowed quickly from those who knew Russert across the television interview room.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said Russert was "the best in the business at keeping his interview subjects honest."

"There wasn't a better interviewer in television," Sen. Barack Obama, the Democratic presidential contender, told reporters in Ohio.

Republican Sen. John McCain of Arizona, Obama's rival for the White House, hailed Russert as the "pre-eminent journalist of his generation."

Rep. John Boehner of Ohio, the House Republican leader, said Russert was "one of the smartest, toughest television news journalists of all time .... I can say from experience that joining Tim on Meet The Press was one of the greatest tests any public official could face."

Carl P. Leubsdorf, president of the Gridiron Club, an organization of journalists, said in a statement, "It was a measure of the degree to which Tim Russert was respected in the journalistic world that he was the first broadcaster elected to membership in the Gridiron Club after the rules were changed in 2004 to end our century-old restriction to print journalists."

"He was an enthusiastic member and a willing participant in our shows. His fellow Gridiron members join with all of those who knew and respected Tim in mourning his untimely death."

"It is my sad duty to report this afternoon" that Russert collapsed and died while working in the network's Washington studios, Brokaw said when he came on the air.

"He'll be missed as he was loved — greatly," Brokaw said.

The network said on its Web Site that Russert had been recording voiceovers for this Sunday's "Meet The Press" when he was stricken.

Russert had dozens of honorary college degrees, and numerous professional awards.

He won an Emmy for his role in the coverage of President Ronald reagan's funeral in 2004.

He was married to Maureen Orth, a writer for Vanity Fair Magazine. The couple had one son, Luke.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2008 09:13 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chithappens

Just out of curiousity, what was the last thing he talked about before this happened?

My YouTube Channel

Random Thoughts Blog *Actually being updated now*

Poetry Blog

Old Post Jun 13th, 2008 09:30 PM
chithappens is currently offline Click here to Send chithappens a Private Message Find more posts by chithappens Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sithsaber408
Intelligently Designed

R Kelly was found not guilty.

A crappy day all around.

RIP to Mr. Russert, as Brokaw said: "A clear, strong voice that will be missed."

www.impactchurch.info

Old Post Jun 13th, 2008 09:37 PM
sithsaber408 is currently offline Click here to Send sithsaber408 a Private Message Find more posts by sithsaber408 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

No one said it better than Tim. What a shame...

Old Post Jun 13th, 2008 09:38 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

quote: (post)
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
No one said it better than Tim. What a shame...

I agree

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Jun 13th, 2008 09:44 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by sithsaber408

Was he?

That's awesome.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2008 09:58 PM
Final Blaxican is currently offline Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

I am always confused with this use of the term "untimely". Like there's ever a good time to die?

"If you were me, you'd know the safest place to hide...is in sanity!

Old Post Jun 13th, 2008 10:05 PM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Devil King
I am always confused with this use of the term "untimely". Like there's ever a good time to die?

I know what you mean, but I think they were talking about the fact he was only 58.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2008 10:07 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
smoker4
Me name be Leon

Originally posted by sithsaber408

Geezer

F**k you Loggins

Old Post Jun 13th, 2008 10:08 PM
smoker4 is currently offline Click here to Send smoker4 a Private Message Find more posts by smoker4 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Schecter
Restricted

Account Restricted

ur doing it rong stick out tongue

if you are a klingon, definately.

"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here."

Old Post Jun 13th, 2008 10:30 PM
Schecter is currently offline Click here to Send Schecter a Private Message Find more posts by Schecter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Schecter
if you are a klingon, definately.

Well, that's true. Since the only good Klingon is a dead Klingon, it's always a good time.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2008 10:42 PM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Technically untimely can be used to mean premature. But do I know what you mean.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2008 10:42 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Well, that's true. Since the only good Klingon is a dead Klingon, it's always a good time.

If I were a Klingon, I'd resent that.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jun 13th, 2008 10:47 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

Folks, I'm not literally confused by the term.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2008 10:48 PM
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Robtard
If I were a Klingon, I'd resent that.

If you were a Klingon, I'd resent you.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2008 10:48 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

By the look of Tim's cheeks, he probably had a larger than 34 inch waist, I think the Japanese are on to something here.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2008 10:51 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

If you were a Klingon, I'd resent you.

If I were a Klingon, you'd be a Vulcan and resent is illogical.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2008 10:52 PM
Deja~vu
Dreamer

We all die. Yet, I wish him the best where ever he might me.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2008 11:17 PM
Deja~vu is currently offline Click here to Send Deja~vu a Private Message Find more posts by Deja~vu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Robtard
If I were a Klingon, you'd be a Vulcan and resent is illogical.

Let Ush be the Vulcan. I'll be a Romulan and resentment being illogical won't matter.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2008 11:20 PM
Schecter
Restricted

Account Restricted

ok about tim russert. i feel that as a journalist he was an overrated hack who enabled the recent campaign of government propaganda. with that said i suspect he was a maybe decent guy who really didnt realise the ramifications of his 'just doing what they told me' mentallity. its a shame he died so untimely (not for a klingon, but still)

Originally posted by Deja~vu
We all die. Yet, I wish him the best where ever he might me.

he's dead

"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here."

Old Post Jun 14th, 2008 12:05 AM
Schecter is currently offline Click here to Send Schecter a Private Message Find more posts by Schecter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote