KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Dateline: To Catch A Predator

Dateline: To Catch A Predator
Started by: chithappens

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (13): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
chithappens

Dateline: To Catch A Predator

Link

quote:
To Catch a Predator is a reality television show that features a series of hidden camera investigations by the television newsmagazine Dateline NBC devoted to the subject of identifying and detaining potential child sexual abusers who contact minors (or individuals whom they believe to be minors) over the Internet for sexual liaisons. The investigations, which have all been reported by Dateline correspondent Chris Hansen and producer Lynn Keller, are conducted as an undercover sting operation with the help of online watchdog group Perverted-Justice. Since the third installment, law enforcement and other officials have also been involved in the operation, leading to the arrests of most individuals caught in the sting. In an interview with NPR's Neal Conan on Talk of the Nation, Chris Hansen emphasizes that the subjects of his program should be labeled as sexual predators: "We don't label these guys as pedophiles. Pedophiles have a very specific definition, people who are interested in prepubescent sex. What we're talking about here are potential predators".

Is this even moral?

If you dangle a carrot in front of a rabbit, he will chase it so can you call them predators?

My YouTube Channel

Random Thoughts Blog *Actually being updated now*

Poetry Blog

Old Post Jul 25th, 2008 03:50 PM
chithappens is currently offline Click here to Send chithappens a Private Message Find more posts by chithappens Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
botankus
Bass-ackwards

I saw the show about two years ago. I figured it was all a big reality show, a.k.a. staged just like all reality shows are. Like the subjects are completely oblivious to the fact that a big-ass TV camera and full crew is standing around while they're supposed to be exhibiting normal behavior.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2008 04:07 PM
botankus is currently offline Click here to Send botankus a Private Message Find more posts by botankus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

quote: (post)
Originally posted by chithappens
Link

Is this even moral?

If you dangle a carrot in front of a rabbit, he will chase it so can you call them predators?

Personally I object to the label of "predator" when the "prey" tries to jump in the mouth of it's "predator". But meh.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2008 04:09 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Bardock42
Personally I object to the label of "predator" when the "prey" tries to jump in the mouth of it's "predator". But meh.

That assumes that these men aren't online looking for children to **** and we're lurked in by just the decoys.

The way the sting is laid out, the predator contacts the prey, not the other way around, or else it wouldn't be legal.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jul 25th, 2008 04:12 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by Robtard
That assumes that these men aren't online looking for children to **** and we're lurked in by just the decoys.

The way the sting is laid out, the predator contacts the prey, not the other way around, or else it wouldn't be legal.

Yeah, that assumes that innocent until proven guilty. But at least the episodes I have seen always had the "prey" consciously asking for sex, etc. It's just a bit weird.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2008 04:14 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chithappens

Yeah, that assumes that innocent until proven guilty. But at least the episodes I have seen always had the "prey" consciously asking for sex, etc. It's just a bit weird.

Exactly.

It's like a wife telling a gorgeous model to "be around" her husband until he flirts and then she jumps from underneath the table, "Ahhhhhhhhhhhh HA! I knew you cheating mother****er!"

laughing

My YouTube Channel

Poetry Blog

Old Post Jul 25th, 2008 04:17 PM
chithappens is currently offline Click here to Send chithappens a Private Message Find more posts by chithappens Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

They are innocent until proven guilty; I believe the show states this.

You're wrong, the decoy does't go into "sex talks" until the scum engages first.

As asked by the host on almost every episode, "if the person has a tagline of 'I'm a 14 year old girl', why do you begin talking with her inappropriately in the first place?"

Last edited by Robtard on Jul 25th, 2008 at 04:21 PM

Old Post Jul 25th, 2008 04:18 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by Robtard
They are innocent until proven guilty; I belive the show states this.

You're wrong, the decoy does't go into "sex talks" until the scum engages first.

As asked by the host on almost every episode, "if the person has a tagline of 'I'm a 14 year old girl', why do you begin talking with her inappropriately in the first place?"

But they do engage in sex talk and show to be willing. That's what I was referring to.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2008 04:21 PM
chithappens

Look, this is the thing (just like with all other issues of "saving the kids"):

A child is on the internet having sexual discussions with an adult... WTF is the child doing chatting with an adult anyway? Why hasn't the parent talked to their child about "sexual predators" online?

I don't think a man should be trying to filter through chat rooms to look for willing teenage girls, but at the same time why is the teenager entertaining the idea? I can only take the child innocence thing so far and the parents need to take some blame for that mess.

It's not like getting snatched up on the street or being bribed with candy sweets. It's chatting so you can just click the X on the top right corner.

My YouTube Channel

Poetry Blog

Old Post Jul 25th, 2008 04:22 PM
FistOfThe North

The show smell scripted, to me. No one can be that stupid. One guy got caught twice; on the same show. On 2 different episodes.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Jul 25th, 2008 04:25 PM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

A child is on the internet having sexual discussions with an adult... WTF is the child doing chatting with an adult anyway? Why hasn't the parent talked to their child about "sexual predators" online?

I don't think a man should be trying to filter through chat rooms to look for willing teenage girls, but at the same time why is the teenager entertaining the idea? I can only take the child innocence thing so far and the parents need to take some blame for that mess.

It's not like getting snatched up on the street or being bribed with candy sweets. It's chatting so you can just click the X on the top right corner.

Possibly because one is a child and the other is an adult and the latter should know better than to indulge? No?

If a 14 year old asks you to buy them cigarettes and booze, is it okay for you as an adult to do so because they asked?

Those that just chat don't get busted, it's the ones that show up to the house with the intention of ****ing a kid that do, see?

Last edited by Robtard on Jul 25th, 2008 at 04:27 PM

Old Post Jul 25th, 2008 04:25 PM
chithappens

Kids are not dumb. Let's stop acting like they can't think.

My YouTube Channel

Poetry Blog

Old Post Jul 25th, 2008 04:29 PM
Jovan
Forbidden Drag

those guys aren't chatting, they actually go to presumed house of the kid they're talking sexual stuff to

I do believe it was stated a few times in the shows that they couldn't touch those guys unless they actually go to the house because than they undisputedly show their will to continue what they discussed.
Also, I thought such chats in some of the states were illegal but it's been a long while since they showed the shows here...

Mr. Le Chiffre: No, I believe in a reasonable rate of return.
James Bond: Now the whole world will know you died while you were scratching my balls!

Old Post Jul 25th, 2008 04:30 PM
Jovan is currently offline Click here to Send Jovan a Private Message Find more posts by Jovan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Kids are not dumb. Let's stop acting like they can't think.

Non sequiter and a dodge.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2008 04:33 PM
chithappens

The kid would not even have a sexual discussion online if their parents talked to them! Why is that so hard to get?

Parents can get their kids to believe a man parted the Red Sea but they can't get them to not have "inappropriate" discussions with adults?

Really, that's hard to believe.

My YouTube Channel

Poetry Blog

Old Post Jul 25th, 2008 04:38 PM
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

The kid would not even have a sexual discussion online if their parents talked to them! Why is that so hard to get?

Parents can get their kids to believe a man parted the Red Sea but they can't get them to not have "inappropriate" discussions with adults?

Having sex with a child is not justified by the parent's failing to give the kid internet safety lectures.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2008 04:51 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chithappens

................ The kid should not even be in that situation is what I'm getting @.

My YouTube Channel

Poetry Blog

Old Post Jul 25th, 2008 04:55 PM
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

I love when they sit down and eat the cookies. laughing

Old Post Jul 25th, 2008 05:00 PM
Tired-Hiker is currently offline Click here to Send Tired-Hiker a Private Message Find more posts by Tired-Hiker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

................ The kid should not even be in that situation is what I'm getting @.

So? That's a terrible reason not to try catching child rapists.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2008 05:05 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Because children always obey their parents and do what they say. Tell me, did you?

Old Post Jul 25th, 2008 05:19 PM