KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Enormous Profits For The Fed!

Enormous Profits For The Fed!
Started by: Symmetric Chaos

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Enormous Profits For The Fed!

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Fed-p...123775.html?x=0

quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Federal Reserve generated record profits last year, reflecting money made off its extraordinary efforts to rescue the country from the worst economic and financial crisis since the 1930s.

The central bank announced Tuesday it logged a record windfall of $52.1 billion. Of that total, a record of $46.1 billion gets turned over to the Treasury Department.

It marks both the biggest profit and payment to Treasury on records dating back to 1914, when the Fed began operating. The previous record payment turned over to the Treasury -- of $34.6 billion -- was registered in 2007. In 2008, the Fed reported a payment of $31.7 billion.

The Fed's efforts to end the crisis are separate from the $700 billion taxpayer-funded financial bailout program authorized by Congress in 2008 and overseen by the Treasury Department.

Originally set up to shore up banks, money from the publicly-derided program also has been doled out to rescue other types of companies, including General Motors, Chrysler and GMAC. President Barack Obama is weighing a levy aimed at recovering tax dollars from government-rescued financial institutions.

The bigger profit reported by the Fed came from $46.1 billion in earnings from the securities it held last year.

Such income went up as the Fed's holdings of securities mushroomed.

The Fed launched several securities-buying programs last year to help revive the economy. Its goal is to drive down rates on mortgages and other consumer debt.

Under one program that ended last year, the Fed snapped up $300 billion worth of government debt. Under another program, the Fed is on track to buy $1.25 trillion in mortgage securities from Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, and an additional $175 billion in debt issued by the mortgage giants. Those programs have boosted the value of securities held by the Fed.

The Fed faces a risk, however. The Fed could lose money if the central bank had to sell those securities and their prices were to fall. The Fed might need to sell the securities to sop up some of the unprecendented amount of money pumped into the economy during the crisis.

The Fed is funded from the interest earned on it vast portfolio of securities. It is not funded by Congress.

After covering its expenses, the Fed gives what is left over to the Treasury Department.

Besides the income from its securities, the Fed said it earned $5.5 billion from holdings related to the takeover of investment firm Bear Stearns and insurance company American International Group. The Fed also earned $2.9 billion from loans extended to banks, investment houses and others.

It certainly sounds like a good sign for America but I'm not sure exactly what this means. Still with all of the money that governments can float around 50 billion dollars doesn't seem like all that much.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2010 06:39 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Liberator
Mums Gardener

Some recession, eh?

- Emma Goldman

Old Post Jan 12th, 2010 07:42 PM
Liberator is currently offline Click here to Send Liberator a Private Message Find more posts by Liberator Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

Yeah, enormous profits for the FED. It's called redistribution of wealth upward. Ronald Reagan's smelly, rotting corpse is probably having its biggest orgasm since the marines were bombed in Lebanon and 9/11.

Wonder when will it'll all be over...
Living in a void when the void grows colder...
Wonder when it'll all be over?
Will you be laughing when it's over?

Old Post Jan 12th, 2010 07:57 PM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

It is all just on paper.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2010 08:01 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
It is all just on paper.

All money is just paper or just metal or just data.

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2010 08:03 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

edit

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2010 08:03 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
All money is just paper.

But you know what I mean, right? None of this is real. People in the government are manipulating the books to make it look good.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2010 08:05 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

All money is just paper or just metal or just data.

That's bull.

Some is metal.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2010 08:08 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

But you know what I mean, right? None of this is real. People in the government are manipulating the books to make it look good.

Do you know that for certain or just think it's likely?

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2010 08:26 PM
dadudemon

This is a good thing.

However, I'm one of the people that thinks the fed should be dissolved and never made into a Fed. system again. (For the U.S.)

The budget is so horrible right now that a little income should be a good thing.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2010 08:26 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Do you know that for certain or just think it's likely?

Know that for certain? No, I do not have any insider information. I've just seem it over and over again. As the old saying goes; if it looks like duck...

I will believe it when my personal buying power increases.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2010 08:32 PM
dadudemon

Know that for certain? No, I do not have any insider information. I've just seem it over and over again. As the old saying goes; if it looks like duck...

During the worst part of the recession, I got 2 promotions..just three months apart.

And, since Early 2008, I've gotten 2 nice raises.

What recession?

(I thank the Lord and my employer's for not being impacted negatively by the recession.)

Old Post Jan 12th, 2010 08:34 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by dadudemon
During the worst part of the recession, I got 2 promotions..just three months apart.

And, since Early 2008, I've gotten 2 nice raises.

What recession?

(I thank the Lord and my employer's for not being impacted negatively by the recession.)

Ya, but I am just pessimistic when it comes to the government saying "hay look, we made a profit". The first thought that comes to mind is, "ok, give it back".

Old Post Jan 12th, 2010 08:42 PM
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

It certainly makes sense. Convincing people that the economy is doing better can itself be good for the economy. Not to mention that it makes the Fed and Obama look good.

Unless you're secretly a CEO you're personal buying power is a ridiculously small portion of the economy.

My wages haven't dropped at all during the recession.

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2010 08:52 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

It certainly makes sense. Convincing people that the economy is doing better can itself be good for the economy. Not to mention that it makes the Fed and Obama look good.

Unless you're secretly a CEO you're personal buying power is a ridiculously small portion of the economy.

My wages haven't dropped at all during the recession.

The fact that this make the Fed and Obama look good, feeds my skepticism.

However, the cost of everything has gone up. This has made my "small" buying power decrease.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2010 09:02 PM
RocasAtoll

Originally posted by Darth Jello
Yeah, enormous profits for the FED. It's called redistribution of wealth upward. Ronald Reagan's smelly, rotting corpse is probably having its biggest orgasm since the marines were bombed in Lebanon and 9/11.

Reagan admitted Lebanon was mistake, but other than that, this is correct.

This is good, but it doesn't change the fact that the Fed is wholly inefficient and needs to be taken down. There's also still the fact of that extra trillion dollars that was made out of thin air that still hasn't hit the market.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2010 09:13 PM
RocasAtoll is currently offline Click here to Send RocasAtoll a Private Message Find more posts by RocasAtoll Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

But it's supposed to trickle down to us poor rabble.

The Gipper guaranteed that if 'we' allow the rich to get richer with massive tax breaks, they'll diarrhea-squirt some of that back down to the poor, he promised, dude.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jan 12th, 2010 09:48 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

quote:
The Federal Reserve generated record profits last year, reflecting money made off its extraordinary efforts to rescue the country from the worst economic and financial crisis since the 1930s.

I just don't agree with that underline.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2010 10:40 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

Originally posted by Robtard
But it's supposed to trickle down to us poor rabble.

The Gipper guaranteed that if 'we' allow the rich to get richer with massive tax breaks, they'll diarrhea-squirt some of that back down to the poor, he promised, dude.

Let me channel our second president, John Adams for one moment.

"Shut the **** up, you rabble! You aren't even people, you shouldn't be allowed to vote. Just work and if you can't work, go ****ing kill yourselves. And don't complain you seditious pisser, or I'll have you taken to Louisiana and broken on the wheel...peasant scum..."

Wonder when will it'll all be over...
Living in a void when the void grows colder...
Wonder when it'll all be over?
Will you be laughing when it's over?

Old Post Jan 12th, 2010 11:23 PM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Let me channel our second president, John Adams for one moment.

"Shut the **** up, you rabble! You aren't even people, you shouldn't be allowed to vote. Just work and if you can't work, go ****ing kill yourselves. And don't complain you seditious pisser, or I'll have you taken to Louisiana and broken on the wheel...peasant scum..."

I didn't know we had Democrats back then. laughing

Old Post Jan 12th, 2010 11:32 PM