KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Another reason why I wish for NUCLEAR HOLOCAUST, in 1 minute

Another reason why I wish for NUCLEAR HOLOCAUST, in 1 minute
Started by: OB1-adobe

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
OB1-adobe

Another reason why I wish for NUCLEAR HOLOCAUST, in 1 minute

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2010 05:42 PM
OB1-adobe is currently offline Click here to Send OB1-adobe a Private Message Find more posts by OB1-adobe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Reminds me of an episode of Better Off Ted where the company's software update causes the whole system to ignore black people,

Also, Nokia and HP clearly have idiots for product testers.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2010 05:47 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

thats priceless

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2010 05:52 PM
AthenasTrgrFngr is currently offline Click here to Send AthenasTrgrFngr a Private Message Find more posts by AthenasTrgrFngr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

I got one of these coolpix cameras for X-mas. It is supposed to find faces, but it finds everything else except faces. Other then that, it's a great camera.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2010 06:19 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

Can it find your wang?

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2010 06:52 PM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Saw that about a month ago on youtube

I wonder whether they knew that the feature is lacking or if they just plain didn't test for that.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2010 07:02 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

quote: (post)
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
Can it find your wang?

I'll have to give it a try and report back. laughing out loud

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2010 07:09 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
Can it find your wang?

"Wang" is a Chinese name...So probably not, no.

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2010 07:10 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Bardock42
I wonder whether they knew that the feature is lacking or if they just plain didn't test for that.

It's the latter.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2010 07:11 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by dadudemon
It's the latter.

You sure? It seems such an obvious thing to test for. I mean, if I engineered that and started testing after like two or three real, caucasian people I'd be like "Neat, I wonder if it works on them others, too". And then I'd pay a black person to stand in front of that, cause I don't have any black friends or co-workers.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2010 07:13 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

You sure? It seems such an obvious thing to test for. I mean, if I engineered that and started testing after like two or three real, caucasian people I'd be like "Neat, I wonder if it works on them others, too". And then I'd pay a black person to stand in front of that, cause I don't have any black friends or co-workers.

You wouldn't pay a black person.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2010 07:20 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by jaden101
You wouldn't pay a black person.

Look, man, we tried to fight the good fight, you stopped us. Now there's ****ing laws in place.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2010 07:22 PM
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Look, man, we tried to fight the good fight, you stopped us. Now there's ****ing laws in place.

So now you build cars that are sturdy for us to hit black people's cheap, unsafe cars with and kill them.

I like it.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2010 07:23 PM
dadudemon

I'm positive. The idea that it may not work on a black person would not cross most people's minds as the software is picking up on shadows on the face, not the skin tone. There'd be no logical reason to check to see if it works on dark-skinned people, based on the nature of the program....as black people would have shadows, as well. The problem is due to the lack of contrast between the shadows and the surrounding skin, which is what the HP engineers overlooked.

I assume that the program algorithm just looks for a contrast differential based on specific shapes (common to the face). So, it will look for the cresecent shaped shadow under the eyebrow, and run a contrast comparison against the surrounding skin (say, it looks for a 80+ point difference (on a 255 point scale)).

It's also possible that the testing lab for this software had different lighting than they could account for, so they really did test it with darker skinned people. In that factory video, the camera is oddly adjusting light sensitivity, making the black dude look really dark. That could be part of the problem: maybe the algorithm works just fine...they just need to adjust the light sensitivity and how it adjusts?

Last edited by dadudemon on Jan 22nd, 2010 at 08:00 PM

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2010 07:57 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

I thought this was old news. Current face recognition software is 30% successful. It's so shitty that a security test mistook Winona Ryder for Osama Bin Laden.

Wonder when will it'll all be over...
Living in a void when the void grows colder...
Wonder when it'll all be over?
Will you be laughing when it's over?

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2010 08:21 PM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Darth Jello
I thought this was old news. Current face recognition software is 30% successful. It's so shitty that a security test mistook Winona Ryder for Osama Bin Laden.

Never seen the two of them in the same room at the same time have you?

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2010 08:23 PM
Colossus-Big C
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Ms.Marvel

thats priceless
laughing out loud Classic

I have returned

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2010 11:46 PM
Colossus-Big C is currently offline Click here to Send Colossus-Big C a Private Message Find more posts by Colossus-Big C Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dark Riddick
Restricted

Account Restricted

the camera is racist!! i wonder if it did that with other races like hispanic or middle eastern?

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2010 12:27 AM
Dark Riddick is currently offline Click here to Send Dark Riddick a Private Message Find more posts by Dark Riddick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Butcher
Marvelous

People are so stupid.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2010 03:57 AM
The Butcher is currently offline Click here to Send The Butcher a Private Message Find more posts by The Butcher Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ATX/UT ND Money

I'd sue em' if I was asian.... smile

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2010 04:35 AM
ATX/UT ND Money is currently offline Click here to Send ATX/UT ND Money a Private Message Find more posts by ATX/UT ND Money Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote