KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » How would you have handled Reconstruction?

How would you have handled Reconstruction?
Started by: Hewhoknowsall

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Hewhoknowsall
Restricted

Account Restricted

How would you have handled Reconstruction?

Like, as in the Reconstruction era after the Civil War.

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2010 08:24 PM
Hewhoknowsall is currently offline Click here to Send Hewhoknowsall a Private Message Find more posts by Hewhoknowsall Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

I would do it well.

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2010 08:32 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

Declare martial law and F the KKK up.

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2010 09:14 PM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

As a citizen, or as the one in charge?

All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you wanna look, I **** like you wanna ****, I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2010 09:19 PM
Rogue Jedi is currently offline Click here to Send Rogue Jedi a Private Message Find more posts by Rogue Jedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

I wouldn't. They have to learn to stand on their own.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2010 09:22 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
I wouldn't. They have to learn to stand on their own.
Say hello to slavery part II!

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2010 09:45 PM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hewhoknowsall
Restricted

Account Restricted

Personally, I'd send Federal troops into the South, forbid former Confederates from voting, and set up massive programs for helping minority races while taxing the plantation owners for it.

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2010 10:43 PM
Hewhoknowsall is currently offline Click here to Send Hewhoknowsall a Private Message Find more posts by Hewhoknowsall Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

A good question actually, and I havn´t got a clue.

Old Post Jun 4th, 2010 08:18 AM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
botankus
Bass-ackwards

I would have outlawed humidity.

Old Post Jun 4th, 2010 03:22 PM
botankus is currently offline Click here to Send botankus a Private Message Find more posts by botankus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

Originally posted by Hewhoknowsall
Personally, I'd send Federal troops into the South, forbid former Confederates from voting, and set up massive programs for helping minority races while taxing the plantation owners for it.

That's close to what the government did at the beginning, they just didn't keep it up.

Old Post Jun 4th, 2010 03:37 PM
RocasAtoll

I would have confiscated all land owned by slave owners and distributed it to the slaves they owned. I would also not allow states to discriminate based on race in government issues.

Old Post Jun 4th, 2010 03:57 PM
RocasAtoll is currently offline Click here to Send RocasAtoll a Private Message Find more posts by RocasAtoll Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

It wasn't the state governments that posed the big problem at that time, it was groups like the white league and KKK that worked outside the law.

Old Post Jun 4th, 2010 07:42 PM
Quiero Mota

Originally posted by RocasAtoll
I would have confiscated all land owned by slave owners and distributed it to the slaves they owned. I would also not allow states to discriminate based on race in government issues.

Attachment: black dixie.jpg
This has been downloaded 32 time(s).

Old Post Jun 4th, 2010 09:09 PM
Quiero Mota is currently offline Click here to Send Quiero Mota a Private Message Find more posts by Quiero Mota Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RocasAtoll

Originally posted by King Kandy
It wasn't the state governments that posed the big problem at that time, it was groups like the white league and KKK that worked outside the law.

They became the problem with black codes and Jim Crow laws. But yeah, private organizations like those who committed violence should have been put down by government soldiers at the start of hostilities.

Old Post Jun 4th, 2010 09:44 PM
RocasAtoll is currently offline Click here to Send RocasAtoll a Private Message Find more posts by RocasAtoll Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

Originally posted by RocasAtoll
They became the problem with black codes and Jim Crow laws. But yeah, private organizations like those who committed violence should have been put down by government soldiers at the start of hostilities.

They were a problem before that. One needs only to look at the voting statistics immediately after blacks got voting rights, and you could see how violence caused an immediate and severe drop even before there were any "legal" measures passed to deny the vote.

Grant sent troops to combat it, too little too late, and he should have declared them as enemy combatants as well, which would have meant they wouldn't have had to go through hung southern civilian courts but military court instead.

Old Post Jun 4th, 2010 11:51 PM