KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » top 100 science stories

top 100 science stories
Started by: leonidas

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

top 100 science stories

some remarkable achievemments this past year. which is most impressive to you? i like #76 and #2 among my faves.

http://discovermagazine.com/photos/...stories-of-2010

Old Post Dec 31st, 2010 06:54 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ADarksideJedi
Jackie Malfoy

Very interesting.

Morning Glory, ,DamienB(my busband),Spoonly,Tired hiker!a1hsauce,Coucil#13,Kongudude,Scottie,Syren
Killa420,miroku,sanctuary,mairuzu,
KILLA4,JacopexLethalfemme,LadyGrim,ashle,Mišt,oman
32,Scythe,DebbieJo,DeathReaperr,Britrogue,Neha,Joe
K,Mandos,Wild Cherry,Roland,Rogue Jedi,Jaehskywalker,Lord Kerrigor,ALostSoul,Running Mascara,Raventheonly,NewJak,,Captain Maynard,Sparkly,Dominic Gargone.
Majid86, Rudester.

Old Post Dec 31st, 2010 06:56 PM
ADarksideJedi is currently offline Click here to Send ADarksideJedi a Private Message Find more posts by ADarksideJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Favs:

82. Scientists Tap the Wisdom of Crowds: Whether you want to establish the structure of proteins or survey galaxies, there's a way to help science.

81. Melting Ice Exposes Ancient Artifacts: The retreat of glaciers around the world pays an unexpected archaeological dividend.

80. Magnets Can Change Your Moral Values: Stimulating subjects' brains with a magnetic field yields some surprising judgment calls

78. Good Listeners Get Inside Your Head: How the fMRI brain scans of listeners and storytellers match up.

75. Social Life Begins in the Womb: Ultrasound monitoring suggests that twins in utero interact with each other.

62. Glia: Your Under-Appreciated Brain Cells. They were once considered merely neural scaffolding, but not anymore

56. Plastic Antibodies Cure Infected Mice: Can artificial antibodies fight real diseases?

37. CIA Doctors Did Forbidden Research: A report states that doctors went too far with prisoners after the 9/11 attacks

21. MRI Scans Track Brain Development: In six minutes, a scan can reveal if a child's brain is developing normally

16. Google Whacked by Hack Attack: All signs point to China as the source of a malicious hack

9. The World's First Cyberweapon: The Stuxnet worm is the first cyberweapon to cause damage in the physical world--and Iran's nuclear facilities may have been its target.

not to just crap all over this list, but a lot of the psych/neuroscience was cool, but not exactly a "new" discovery as it was portrayed. Many of the interesting finding were really just building on some other, well established, "weirdness", especially ones like the "memory/emotion" split.

Old Post Dec 31st, 2010 09:01 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

It seems like a trick to get you to buy their magazine! mad

They hook you in with a cool sounding headline, you click the article...and then they only post a brief intro to it.

Oh well.

I saw lots of interesting stuff, not sure which ones I want to single out.

Old Post Jan 1st, 2011 01:02 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by dadudemon
It seems like a trick to get you to buy their magazine! mad

They hook you in with a cool sounding headline, you click the article...and then they only post a brief intro to it.

Oh well.

I saw lots of interesting stuff, not sure which ones I want to single out.

the full articles were in the mag when the 'discovery' was first made. these are more like synopses. i'm sire the full articles are all in the online archives somewhere.

Old Post Jan 1st, 2011 01:47 AM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by leonidas
the full articles were in the mag when the 'discovery' was first made. these are more like synopses. i'm sire the full articles are all in the online archives somewhere.

You have to purchase to see the full articles.

Old Post Jan 1st, 2011 03:00 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Or go to your local library, where many fine publications are available to read free of charge!

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jan 1st, 2011 03:05 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

i've read all the articles online.... and i don't have a subscription. maybe to get into the archives you need to subscribe. meh. just meant as a recap and topic of discussion anyway.

Old Post Jan 1st, 2011 03:35 AM
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Or go to your local library, where many fine publications are available to read free of charge!

what? free of charge? does the guvment know about this??

Old Post Jan 1st, 2011 03:36 AM
dadudemon

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos

I've never seen discover, people, cosmo, etc. at a library before. I've seen oooold issues of time, however, but nothing recent.

Originally posted by leonidas
i've read all the articles online.... and i don't have a subscription. maybe to get into the archives you need to subscribe. meh. just meant as a recap and topic of discussion anyway.

I'm not criticizing you, dude. I just thought it was lamerz that I couldn't read the whole articles for their list. I'm one of those ones that would rather sit through a 30 second commercial so I can read an article than I would to have to pay $30 just to read one article. (Similar to a la carte, but it's more like "fee for service" with the supplier getting their fee from advertizers on each time the service that is used.)

Old Post Jan 1st, 2011 03:40 AM
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

no worries. i wasn't offended. just saying that i'd read the articles at some point during the year. lots of mags (including nat geo and the atlantic among others) give full articles online without subscriptions. not sure why, but..... i'm glad they do. smile any like i sid, just meant for discussion.

hopefully next year will have even more and more important discoveries.

Old Post Jan 1st, 2011 04:55 AM
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Favorites...

83. Mammoth Star Is the Biggest One Ever Seen.
80. Magnets Can Change Your Moral Values.
66. Synthetic Lung Takes a Breath.
63. Ghost Particles Shakes Physics.
56. Plastic Antibodies Cure Infected Mice.
47. An Early Dawn for Earth's Complex Life.
46. Do Physical Laws Vary From Place to Place?
23. Comets Are Interstellar Visitors.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Jan 1st, 2011 11:28 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GCG
Red Bull

You don't need to buy the mag. Just use google.

Very interesting site.

Deferrals get you nowhere - Just Do It.........Or Ineptitude will consume your life like a Cancer

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2011 02:18 PM
GCG is currently offline Click here to Send GCG a Private Message Find more posts by GCG Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote