KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Tribe on Papua New Guinea meets white man for the first time, video.

Tribe on Papua New Guinea meets white man for the first time, video.
Started by: Bicnarok

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

Tribe on Papua New Guinea meets white man for the first time, video.

Found this interesting video apparently filmed in the 70´s of a tribe in Tribe on Papua New Guinea meets white man for the first time.

When you watch it it raised a few questions, how would we or aliens react if we ever made contact, are there other tribes somewhere hidden away in some jungle who havn´t met "the white man" yet, and why do some of the men have a friggin branch through his nose??

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=305_1308772777

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2011 10:45 AM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
0mega Spawn
TheWarmestSun

they weren't slaughtered, enslaved, & robbed of their land? woot woot big grin

My Reality Is Your Imagination.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2011 11:34 AM
0mega Spawn is currently offline Click here to Send 0mega Spawn a Private Message Find more posts by 0mega Spawn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

Nice vid.

Really love the reactions to rice, mirrors, and the tape recorder in particular.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2011 04:03 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

quote: (post)
Originally posted by 0mega Spawn
they weren't slaughtered, enslaved, & robbed of their land? woot woot big grin

Probably didn't have anything anybody wanted.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2011 04:50 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

Niether were they burt at the stake for not being christians nor the women stoned to death for not being covered up. Good job they met what seems to be a nice chap.

As for robbed of their land, I´m not sure about that seeing as you can now go on holiday with them as advertised in the link below.

I wonder if heart disease and diabetes has crept in amongst them since meeting a "technological advanced race.

It also makes me wonder why some races or people advanced to some degree, and these folk didn´t. Maybe because there is no room to experiment with a wheel or no need for one.
http://www.papuatrekking.com/

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2011 06:11 PM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

Originally posted by Bicnarok
Niether were they burt at the stake for not being christians nor the women stoned to death for not being covered up. Good job they met what seems to be a nice chap.

As for robbed of their land, I´m not sure about that seeing as you can now go on holiday with them as advertised in the link below.

I wonder if heart disease and diabetes has crept in amongst them since meeting a "technological advanced race.

It also makes me wonder why some races or people advanced to some degree, and these folk didn´t. Maybe because there is no room to experiment with a wheel or no need for one.
http://www.papuatrekking.com/

Have you heard of Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond?

That was basically the same question the writer asked himself after a Papua New Guinea native asked him why white people/westerners are so much more wealthy/"advanced" than they are.

And an interesting factoid: the Incan Empire was a highly developed civilization that built roads and knew of mathematics yet never invented the wheel. stick out tongue

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2011 06:21 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Jared Diamond has a great theory that addresses that very question.

Watch (or read) Guns, Germs and Steel. Great documentary.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2011 08:43 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Diamond got so much crap from the socio-anthro community for that book

everyone accused him of "determinism", lol, its really funny to read his rebuttals. It is literally him asking, in the most professional way possible, "Did you guys even read my work?"

mind you, the socio-anthro community has produced little of real worth in decades...

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2011 09:02 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

I thought everything he said was very sensible and backed by good evidence. It is not deterministic but focused by choice on the impacts of natural geography. He has follow-up books that focus more on the impacts of human choices.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2011 09:05 PM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

thats sort of what I meant. For how scholarly the work was and how much evidence he provided in support, further, how many other lines of evidence he could site to support his theory, it was lunacy to see some people essentially accuse him of saying "Africans were pre-determined to be less advanced".

It is really funny. Let me see if I can find any of it, I read these a couple of years ago...

I liked Collapse too, but not as much

best I could find:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guns,_...Steel#Criticism

Last edited by tsilamini on Jun 23rd, 2011 at 09:17 PM

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2011 09:09 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

Something that stood out to me is how much nicer these guys are than Christopher Columbus. They made sure the natives used the knives correctly, while when chris met the americans, he held out a sword to let them grab the blade.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2011 09:24 PM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

Originally posted by King Kandy
Something that stood out to me is how much nicer these guys are than Christopher Columbus. They made sure the natives used the knives correctly, while when chris met the americans, he held out a sword to let them grab the blade.

He had to let them know he had a shiny second cock that could hurt them.

How else would they know he was better than them?

It reminds me of the movie 'Mountains of the Moon' where when the main characters give an African king a gun he hands it to one of his sons (a toddler) and after the main characters fail to impress upon him the danger of the weapon they just hold their breath and pray the kid doesn't pull the trigger.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2011 11:24 PM
dadudemon

I'm not exactly sure why, but that video was REALLY interesting. It was very fascinating to see their reactions.

They also seemed liked pleasant people (culture).

It's fairly difficult to make a point with such a comparison that those diseases are bad when the average life expactancy is less than 30 for them and approaching 80, for most Modern western nations.

It reminds me of a comic I read with a couple of cavemen sitting down by a fire(I believe I posted it here) that said something like:

"What's the deal? We eat only free range animal meat that is fed only all-natural food, we get tons of exercise, all of our fruits and vegitables are 100% organic...and most of us still die before 30."

Last edited by dadudemon on Jun 25th, 2011 at 04:03 AM

Old Post Jun 25th, 2011 04:00 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by dadudemon
I'm not exactly sure why, but that video was REALLY interesting. It was very fascinating to see their reactions.

They also seemed liked pleasant people (culture).

It's fairly difficult to make a point with such a comparison that those diseases are bad when the average life expactancy is less than 30 for them and approaching 80, for most Modern western nations.

It reminds me of a comic I read with a couple of cavemen sitting down by a fire(I believe I posted it here) that said something like:

"What's the deal? We eat only free range animal meat that is fed only all-natural food, we get tons of exercise, all of our fruits and vegitables are 100% organic...and most of us still die before 30."

Average =/= Median

*twitch*

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2011 04:06 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Average =/= Median

*twitch*

I consider the median age to be gigantically irrelevant to my point especially since it doesn't make my point any less valid.

However, if you compare median age, iirc, the difference becomes even more contrasted.

*spasm*

But if you "want to go there" the difference in median age is more than double:

http://www.indexmundi.com/papua_new...median_age.html

http://www.indexmundi.com/papua_new...y_at_birth.html

Last edited by dadudemon on Jun 25th, 2011 at 04:12 AM

Old Post Jun 25th, 2011 04:10 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

*blink*

Oh, that's median age not median age of death. Confused me there for a second.

Actually, this is more what I was thinking of. Life expectancy at birth is in the mid sixties not the thirties which means an adult can probably expect to live to seventy (see infant mortality rate of five times the US: http://www.indexmundi.com/papua_new...ality_rate.html)

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2011 04:21 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Actually, this is more what I was thinking of. Life expectancy at birth is in the mid sixties not the thirties which means an adult can probably expect to live to seventy (see infant mortality rate of five times the US: http://www.indexmundi.com/papua_new...ality_rate.html)

Thanks to modern medicine and science, of course.

Before we injected ourselves into their mostly peaceful society, it was much closer to 30 than 60 (slightly less than 40):

http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds...apua+new+guinea

Again, I prefer average life expectancy, not median.

Also, that's a really cool tool.

Also, you're using the punchline of a comic for your comparison. Thought I would throw that out there. no expression

Old Post Jun 25th, 2011 07:03 AM
ADarksideJedi
Jackie Malfoy

Interesting.

Morning Glory, ,DamienB(my busband),Spoonly,Tired hiker!a1hsauce,Coucil#13,Kongudude,Scottie,Syren
Killa420,miroku,sanctuary,mairuzu,
KILLA4,JacopexLethalfemme,LadyGrim,ashle,Mišt,oman
32,Scythe,DebbieJo,DeathReaperr,Britrogue,Neha,Joe
K,Mandos,Wild Cherry,Roland,Rogue Jedi,Jaehskywalker,Lord Kerrigor,ALostSoul,Running Mascara,Raventheonly,NewJak,,Captain Maynard,Sparkly,Dominic Gargone.
Majid86, Rudester.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2011 02:50 PM
ADarksideJedi is currently offline Click here to Send ADarksideJedi a Private Message Find more posts by ADarksideJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

Originally posted by King Kandy

Didn´t Christopher Columbus have the catholic clergy breathing down his neck, or is that a false interpretation of history? Well the clergy got their way in the end, look how catholic S. America is nowadays

Old Post Jun 25th, 2011 04:23 PM
TacDavey

That was pretty cool. I love how they kept trying to get them to shake their hands at the beginning even though they had no idea what they wanted them to do.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2011 05:16 PM
TacDavey is currently offline Click here to Send TacDavey a Private Message Find more posts by TacDavey Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote