KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Question about particles

Question about particles
Started by: Lestov16

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Lestov16
CTU Field Agent

Question about particles

Can all fermions and bosons be described as bradyons and luxons? Isn't the higgs boson (and hypothetical graviton) a luxon (and of course photons and gluons are), whereas all fermions (quarks and leptons), and W/Z bosons are bradyons? Can all particles in nature that we know be categorized as bradyons and luxons?

"Tell him that you've got credible intelligence about a threat to his life"-
Jack Bauer

Old Post Jan 6th, 2013 01:48 PM
Lestov16 is currently offline Click here to Send Lestov16 a Private Message Find more posts by Lestov16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Yes, you can categorize things like that. We don't most of the time because we have more useful categories than "massive" and "massless."

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2013 04:24 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lestov16
CTU Field Agent

What would happen if a boson had an integer spin of 3?

Jack Bauer

Old Post Jan 9th, 2013 04:23 AM
Lestov16 is currently offline Click here to Send Lestov16 a Private Message Find more posts by Lestov16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

The phrase "integer spin" doesn't refer to a kind of spin but a property of that spin, in this case that it is described with an integer (a whole number). That is: Bosons do not have "integer spin" they have spin but only in integer values.

As far as I know spin doesn't predict much about a particle. As a boson it would obey Bose-Einstein statistics but that's about it.

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2013 04:42 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lestov16
CTU Field Agent

I understand that. It's just that Higgs bosons have a spin of 0. Gluons and Photons have a spin of 1. And (hypothetical) gravitons have a spin of 2. What would a particle with a spin of 3 be like?

Jack Bauer

Old Post Jan 9th, 2013 04:56 AM
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

To my knowledge, no one has any idea. Spin is just angular momentum. Spin 3 just means it has a very large amount of intrinsic angular momentum (or rather a very large amount of something that might or might not be angular momentum but is easier to think about as angular momentum). There are a lot of other things that go into defining the properties of the particle. Mass tells lets you estimate how stable it will be. Charge tells you how it will act in electric and magnetic fields. It would probably also be different if the particle in question is composite or elementary.

Asking "What would a spin 3 particle be like?" seems like asking "What would a red car be like?" It would be red and it would be a car.

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2013 06:49 AM
Lestov16
CTU Field Agent

I mean how would it influence nature? Higgs bosons are spin-0 bosons, and thus scalar tensors. Photons, gluons, and W/Z bosons are spin-1, and thus vector tensors. Gravitons are (hypothesized to be) spin-2 bosons, and thus caused by stress-energy (rank-2) tensors. If a particle was a spin-3 boson, what would be the rank-3 tensor that causes it?

Jack Bauer

Old Post Jan 10th, 2013 09:06 PM
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

I'm not familiar enough with tensors or quantum mechanics to answer that question. Are there any rank 3 tensors to relate it to? If there aren't any then perhaps there can't be a such a particle since there would be no corresponding field.

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jan 11th, 2013 05:44 AM
Lestov16
CTU Field Agent

Good. Something I can bend to fit my fictional whims smile

Jack Bauer

Old Post Jan 11th, 2013 11:46 AM
Mindship
Snap out of it.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Lestov16
Good. Something I can bend to fit my fictional whims smile
I knew there was a story percolating in there somewhere. smile

Sometimes I find perusing the science/tech stuff at the "Orion's Arm" website useful, though lately I've been relying more on Clarke's Third Law to get by. It forces me to focus on character development, which is the real deal maker.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Jan 11th, 2013 02:12 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

I understand that. It's just that Higgs bosons have a spin of 0. Gluons and Photons have a spin of 1. And (hypothetical) gravitons have a spin of 2. What would a particle with a spin of 3 be like?

Then they would behave differently than particles that don't have a spin of three in a particle field.

I mean how would it influence nature? Higgs bosons are spin-0 bosons, and thus scalar tensors. Photons, gluons, and W/Z bosons are spin-1, and thus vector tensors. Gravitons are (hypothesized to be) spin-2 bosons, and thus caused by stress-energy (rank-2) tensors. If a particle was a spin-3 boson, what would be the rank-3 tensor that causes it?

I'm not exactly sure what you're after, but a spin-3 boson would interact with 1/2-, 1-, and 3/2-spin fermions.

Old Post Jan 11th, 2013 11:47 PM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lestov16
CTU Field Agent

I see.

What spin would a boson have to have in order to interact with Spin-2, Spin-1, and Spin-0 bosons and all half-spin fermions? Would it have to be a spin-4? A spin-10? Or conversely, would it have to be a spin-0, like the Higgs?

Jack Bauer

Old Post Jan 12th, 2013 09:51 AM
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

I see.

What spin would a boson have to have in order to interact with Spin-2, Spin-1, and Spin-0 bosons and all half-spin fermions? Would it have to be a spin-4? A spin-10? Or conversely, would it have to be a spin-0, like the Higgs?

Spin-couplings aren't intuitive by any means, the spin-3 boson you mentioned struck me because one of my friends—a docent in elementary particle physics—and his team wrote an article were he proved that said particles would interact. But there are a lot of conditions to test before you could make such a general statement.

If it's important to you then I could give it a try.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2013 04:59 AM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

Particles aren't real anyway.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Jan 14th, 2013 05:27 AM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Quantum mechanics is just something the Illuminati aliens told everybody so they could control Earth's supply of gold and bring about a New World Order.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2013 06:03 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lestov16
CTU Field Agent

Originally posted by Astner

If it's important to you then I could give it a try.

I would really appreciate it. Thank you. smile

(if it isn't too much of a bother)

Jack Bauer

Old Post Jan 14th, 2013 01:57 PM
Lestov16
CTU Field Agent

I'm not exactly sure what you're after, but a spin-3 boson would interact with 1/2-,

All fermions (quarks,leptons)

1-,

Gauge bosons (photons, gluons, w/z bosons)

and 3/2-spin fermions.

?

Anyways, if a Spin 3 bosons can interact with 3/2-spin particles, then can a Spin-4 interact with 4/2-spin=Spin-2 particles (gravitons)?

Also can no particle with n>0 integer spin interact with Spin-0 scalar bosons (Higgs bosons)?

Jack Bauer

Old Post Jan 15th, 2013 03:46 PM
KillaKassara
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Question about particles

Originally posted by Mindset
Particles aren't real anyway.

I got sum in mah eyeballz.

"Compounding these trickster aspects, the Joker ethos is verbally explicated as such by his psychiatrist, who describes his madness as "super-sanity." Where "sanity" previously suggested acquiescence with cultural codes, the addition of "super" implies that this common "sanity" has been replaced by a superior form, in which perception and processing are completely ungoverned and unconstrained"

Last edited by KillaKassara on Jan 16th, 2013 at 06:37 AM

Old Post Jan 16th, 2013 06:34 AM
KillaKassara is currently offline Click here to Send KillaKassara a Private Message Find more posts by KillaKassara Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote